****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,008 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
they have been more disciplined than in the past, esp with regards to free agency.
i think they have been a little too disciplined with free agency tbh.

i'm not saying go out and sign the world or a bunch of high dollar free agents. what i am saying though is recognize that your franchise QBs window is closing as is your all pro Tight Ends. coordinate that with the fact that in a couple of years you have a crap load of space under the cap and add some needed help at pass rusher and LB. by the time you finish "developing" those guys you think are developing Romo will be gone, and then you're mediocrity will be because you have no franchise QB....not because you are missing pieces on D.

just a quick glance of the NFC tells me that this conference is winnable if you have some essential reliable pieces. the Jones family instead has chosen not to see things that way.
corleoneAg99
AG
Yeah that's overrated IMO...the main reason they don't spend in FA is deals they've already made like Romo, Carr, etc.

But we're arguing minutiae. They're a poorly run front office and the proof is in the results.
jr15aggie
AG
Regarding QB, seems like the best option at this point is to get at least 1 or 2 pre-season games finished with the guys we have. No way to tell if Showers has improved or if Dak could possibly get it done w/out seeing them in game situations against another team.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Pick up Matt Flynn. His superpower seems to be getting beaten out by unheralded rookies. He'll turn Dak into the next Aaron Rodgers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He has an incredibly hot wife. That is good enough reason
ursusguy
AG
Or, let Garrett be the qb for running the 3's. Oh wait, that happened today.
BassCowboy33
From what The Ticket is saying, Dak is struggling to complete even the most basic of screen passes.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
From what The Ticket is saying, Dak is struggling to complete even the most basic of screen passes.
dats just wonderful...
corleoneAg99
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't know why they bothered drafting him. They wanted Lynch (offered a 2 and 4 to move up while a 2 and 3 was needed to get it done) and then Connor Cook was supposed to be the fallback. Once the Raiders moved up to snag Cook at 100 overall, Prescott was a dumbass throwaway pick in order to still check the "draft a young qb to develop" box.

So for those keeping track at home, their 2 may never play. Their 3 has been hurt and won't see the field for a while, which a rookie that misses camp typically won't comtribute much for the year, (How's not being willing to part with the 2 and 3 to get Lynch looking now?) And then one of their two 4's was pretty much a throwaway. Great draft.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
he's young so i'll reserve judgement still but i wasn't a huge fan of the pick. hope i'm wrong but again, its early.

even MSU fans thought drafting him was a mistake.

lets see though.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
even MSU fans thought drafting him was a mistake.

Reminds me a lot of Stephen McGee... I know plenty of Aggie/Cowboy fans that didn't like drafting him one bit (I was one of them). Love Stephen McGee, but he was never going to be an NFL starting QB (or decent backup for that matter) and it was obvious in college and painfully obvious for multiple years watching pre-season games.

Hey, let's make the same mistake a few years later!!! /Jones family

Chance of Showers?
RedlineAg08
Moore being hurt doesn't even matter. there isn't a QB in the league outside of Brady, Rogers, and maybe Brees that could step in and make this team anything more than terrible if Romo gets hurt. The defense is too poor. If Romo does go down pray it's in game 1 and we can tank the rest of the year.
98Ag99Grad
AG
At least McGee won games when he played. Now- I'm not saying he should have been the long term answer but at least he didn't totally stink it up like Weedon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. That's why I'd just as soon have a QB that might turn into something (like Lynch) get some development time in the event Romo goes down. I'd at least feel like something productive for the future was being accomplished while they lose. But that QB isn't on the roster.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
At least McGee won games when he played. Now- I'm not saying he should have been the long term answer but at least he didn't totally stink it up like Weedon.
They won 1 game in which McGee appeared (14-13). In that game, he was 11 for 27 for 127 yards. He was terrible.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I thought he won several? I know they beat the Eagles, and Arizona and thought there was someone else.

Edit- They lost by a point to AZ. Ok maybe I'm mis-remembering his "greatness".
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lost to Arizona. Beat the Eagles. And his swan song was losing to the Eagles in one of the most offensively inept games I'd seen in some time. They got some garbage yards late and finally scored with a few seconds left to avoid being shut out.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Yep, you're right. I edited my post.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That Cardinals team won 4 other games that season.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i was against the McGee drafting too.

how anyone could see that dude and think "Pro QB" was beyond me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I couldn't believe it either. Tough as nails, but never had a feel for the pocket and never for an instant looked like an NFL passer.
Ag Natural
AG
The problem is almost nobody in college looks like an NFL QB. Its the hardest position in all of sports. So scouts are forced to evaluate based on arm strength and leadership qualities. McGee has those things so I understood why he got drafted.

I personally believe anticipation instincts and quick release are the two biggest factors in becoming a good NFL passer. Most college QBs never have to learn how to anticipate routes based on live defensive reads while in college but you can tell sometimes when a kid has the ability to adapt. Stephen never did anything other than one route pre-snap reads in college and he always ran when the route wasn't there. Same for Johnny. That doesn't translate very well. That being said, Tanny didn't show me a whole lot in college either and he's doing "okay" so far. Its not an easy job to scout.
jr15aggie
AG
Too depressing... gotta start talking about good stuff:

Hey, how about that Byron Jones kid! I really think the secondary could be solid this year and Jones could very well turn into a stud at safety. Not fair to start envisioning Earl Thomas just yet, but no reason why he shouldn't be the best safety we've had in quite some time. And if he isn't, the position was truly cursed the minute Woodson hung 'em up!

And Zeke gonna have 1,500+ his rookie year. Easy money!
PooDoo
AG
The Cowboys quarterback situation seems to really mirror the Romo Carter Henson triangle .... Wouldn't it be funny if showers is the new Romo
RedlineAg08
I agree with you. This draft was the worst possible draft scenario come true for the Cowboys.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Henry or some other late round/in drafted running back pounds the league for the same yardage as our future hall of fame stud muffin
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I agree with you. This draft was the worst possible draft scenario come true for the Cowboys.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Henry or some other late round/in drafted running back pounds the league for the same yardage as our future hall of fame stud muffin
I doubt we will regret drafting Elliott.

The gut shot will be if Myles Jack turns out to be a monster. When comparing them both Jack and Smith before the injuries I liked Jack's game better than Smith's.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
They won 1 game in which McGee appeared (14-13). In that game, he was 11 for 27 for 127 yards. He was terrible.

McGee's biggest issue was not trusting his arm. He could make the reads, but he never really challenged a defense past the second level. Rather than throw receivers open or fit the ball into tight Windows, he'd always check down or throw the ball away. He was the football equivalent of a government bond. Zero risk.
BassCowboy33
The Ticket reporting today that Showers currently holds the edge over Dak. Showers is making the throws and reads better at this point, which shouldn't be surprising considering the head start he has.
Ryan34
AG
McGee just got hit too much. It messed up his shoulder and got in his head.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Showers is the reason they are not panicking into signing any ol QB right now.

He's shown enough flashes to at the very least, by himself more evaluation time.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
The Cowboys quarterback situation seems to really mirror the Romo Carter Henson triangle .... Wouldn't it be funny if showers is the new Romo

kind of a long shot, but its not that far-fetched.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When Dak said this week that the #1 thing he was working on was learning how to drop back, I figured that was not a good sign.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
McGee just got hit too much. It messed up his shoulder and got in his head.
also he wasn't a very good quarterback
PooDoo
AG
Read the rookie CB drafted from Purdue was excelling in 1-on-1 drills. I remember he had some pretty impressive highlights as a pass defender & tackler. Can't wait to see some of these young guys play this preseason.

Anyone know what time & channel the Blue & White scrimmage is on?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.