****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,995 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of teams try to draft for value in the second round. This isn't a Jerry Jones senior moment. Belechick does it all the time as well with not great results. The difference is Belechick is one of the greatest defensive coaches in NFL history and has had a Hall of Fame QB for 15 years.

For all the hate spewed for Jones he has turned it around quite a bit. The franchise has coaching stability now and is building an identity. If they could hit on a couple of defensive players they could be competitive for several years.
corleoneAg99
AG
Turned it around how? What's your measurement for that?

It's not wins and losses or playoff runs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dallas needs a franchise QB to be average or at best slightly above average. Does this really need clarification?

The real pain is a year or two away. Brace yourselves.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Exactly! So everybody shut up... you're ruining all the warm and fuzzies that we could be a really good team this year if it all works out. Ssssshhhhhhh.... don't say it... just let me have this for a little while longer!
RedlineAg08
Look at the 2017 and 2018 QB draft prospects... Nothing that I'm super excited to look forward to
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Look at the 2017 and 2018 QB draft prospects... Nothing that I'm super excited to look forward to
Give it time, they'll hype up another guy not on the radar by then...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Belicek and the Pats carry slightly more benefit of the doubt than Jones and the Cowboys do.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:

- Not chasing and overpaying aging free agents.
- Not firing the coaching staff every two years
- Not making one player away type block buster trades

That's a start. The reason they haven't won anything yet is because it's Damn hard. But it was not long ago we were trading up to draft Mo Claiborne and overpaying for Brandon Carr and a still unproven Scandrick.

The current philosphy is to build around a running game and try to win with effort on defense. They are still recovering from cap hell and injuries will always be a factor. But from a process standpoint I think they've made major improvements.
PooDoo
AG
quote:

I see improvement.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Dallas needs a franchise QB to be average or at best slightly above average. Does this really need clarification?

Look to the Seahawks and Broncos. Build your roster and you might get lucky in the draft or in free agency.

PooDoo
AG
quote:
Belicek and the Pats carry slightly more benefit of the doubt than Jones and the Cowboys do.
The thing that really separates the Cowboys and the Pats is something I've mentioned a lot.

The Pats take gambles but they are good gamblers.

• They gambled and missed on Dominique Easley but they realized it after only 22 games and cut him.
  • They gambled Richard Seymour only had a few great years left and traded him and his salary for a 1st round pick.
  • Chandler Jones starts smoking K2 and they trade him and his 12.5 sacks for a starting guard and a 2nd.

Better to get rid of a player a year or two early rather than a year or two late. See the long line of free agents we've let walk for nothing.

Know when to hold'em and fold'em... Stop falling in love with your players!
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
The thing that really separates the Cowboys and the Pats is something I've mentioned a lot.

The Pats take gambles but they are good gamblers.

• They gambled and missed on Dominique Easley but they realized it after only 22 games and cut him.
  • They gambled Richard Seymour only had a few great years left and traded him and his salary for a 1st round pick.
  • Chandler Jones starts smoking K2 and they trade him and his 12.5 sacks for a starting guard and a 2nd.

Better to get rid of a player a year or two early rather than a year or two late. See the long line of free agents we've let walk for nothing.

Know when to hold'em and fold'em... Stop falling in love with your players!

They also drafted Aaron Hernandez and signed him to a big second contract.
Let Shane Vareen go for nothing who probably nets them another super bowl last year.
Have had 3 drafts in the last 7 with no first round pick.

Sure, they do a better job of letting vets go. But they do pay a price. They have just been able to sustain success because they have Brady and the best coaching staff in the league. It will be real interesting to see what transpires there after Brady retires.
98Ag99Grad
AG
McFadden out w/ broken elbow; will miss part of camp they said. Zeke pick looking better every day.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
McFadden out w/ broken elbow; will miss part of camp they said. Zeke pick looking better every day.
jerrah looking more and more like a genius...
Ag Natural
AG
Jerry broke his elbow to justify the pick!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Arent these light non contact drills? How did he break his freakin elbow??
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
Arent these light non contact drills? How did he break his freakin elbow??
He tried to catch his cell phone he dropped. Happened over Memorial Day weekend.
ce1994
AG
Is that the best he could come up with. He was drunk and fell down. It happens.
Spaceship
AG
He tripped over Derek Holland's dog.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
newly acquired DE Benson Mayowa also to have his knee scoped.

even before hearing that i was getting the feeling this defense was going to be terrible this year.

really think the Jones family thinks Marineli walks on water and can coach any body up to be a good player.
Sea Gull
AG
Dude....reeeeelax. The defense will be alright. It's way too early in the year to get your blood pressure up.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:

even before hearing that i was getting the feeling this defense was going to be terrible this year.

really think the Jones family thinks Marineli walks on water and can coach any body up to be a good player.
So you think a 3rd rounder not contributing this year is the death knell?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

i think collectively, the body of work this off season and adding (or non adding) of true difference makers on defense is more likely to mean a bad defense than a good defense.

objectively speaking, do you think this team has the players on D to be championship level? objectively speaking, do you think this D is one that is comparable to other super bowl winning Ds?
RedlineAg08
At least the Peyton Manning Colts had Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis that could t-off on opposing QBs when the colt offense built a lead. And they had Bob sanders on the back end...

This team doesn't have a strong position on defense. Their best position group is a "meh" at best. And I'm not sure which group that is... Maybe a fully healthy and functional LB crew with Lee and McClain.. I don't know..

So, regardless of how good the offense may be, we have absolutely zero chance of winning the superbowl.
Sea Gull
AG
I think the defense will be better than y'all think. Scandrick is coming back, and by all accounts, looks just as quick as he did before the injury. I really think Jones takes the next step this year, and, hopefully, we can get the good McClain. Defensive line will be fine.

I think we are going to be the surprise team of the NFL this year.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

i think collectively, the body of work this off season and adding (or non adding) of true difference makers on defense is more likely to mean a bad defense than a good defense.

objectively speaking, do you think this team has the players on D to be championship level? objectively speaking, do you think this D is one that is comparable to other super bowl winning Ds?
Well, the worst defense I can remember winning the SB is Brees' Saints. I don't think this defense is worse than that group. I also remember that prior to the 2014 season many pundits said the Cowboys defense might be the worst in history and they ended up getting darn close to the Super Bowl.

So in the end, I'm not sure how you could declare anything at this point. There is not anyone in the draft nor any free agent that would make this defense great on paper. They need the young guys to get better and probably have some better luck with injuries. They also need the offense to dominate, that alone makes the defense much much better.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

quote:
Well, the worst defense I can remember winning the SB is Brees' Saints. I don't think this defense is worse than that group. I also remember that prior to the 2014 season many pundits said the Cowboys defense might be the worst in history and they ended up getting darn close to the Super Bowl.

i could be wrong but i believe that Saints D was an absolute turnover machine. and not just turnovers, but timely turnovers time and again. this Cowboys D has struggled mightily with turnovers. thats one of the knocks against it.

as for 2014 ultimately it really was the lack of pass rush that led to the loss in Green Bay wasn't it? and the week before, they had a PUTRID pass rush against Stafford and the Lions in a game they really shoulda lost too until Lawrence actually went beast mode for one play and got to him, and recovered that fumble that sealed the game. so if you wana argue they got close to the Super Bowl, you can also argue that they got close to being knocked out of the first round.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:

quote:

i could be wrong but i believe that Saints D was an absolute turnover machine. and not just turnovers, but timely turnovers time and again. this Cowboys D has struggled mightily with turnovers. thats one of the knocks against it.

as for 2014 ultimately it really was the lack of pass rush that led to the loss in Green Bay wasn't it? and the week before, they had a PUTRID pass rush against Stafford and the Lions in a game they really shoulda lost too until Lawrence actually went beast mode for one play and got to him, and recovered that fumble that sealed the game. so if you wana argue they got close to the Super Bowl, you can also argue that they got close to being knocked out of the first round.

I guess you can spin the argument any way you want. The fact is they got close with a pretty bad defense. This year's defense has quite a bit more young potential than that one did, especially in the pass rush when everyone gets back from suspension.
Sea Gull
AG
I don't know how they do it, but they get me excited every year.
PooDoo
AG
Didn't the Saint D have a bunch of TO's returned for TD's that year?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Didn't the Saint D have a bunch of TO's returned for TD's that year?
Yes. I believe so. Thats precisely why I don't believe comparing them to Dallas' D is valid. The Cowboys have not been a D that does turnovers well in the last couple of years. And considering they really haven't added any true playmakers on D this past offseason, I don't see that changing.
Macarthur
I think there are really very few great defenses and luck plays a great deal in how those are constructed.

Having said that, you don't have to have a great defense to win. Like the example above with NO, the key is getting turnovers. I know it's easier said than done, but if this defense can just get more TOs, it will make a big diff.
RedlineAg08
Yes, but we haven't changed any of the pieces of the defense that can't buy a turnover. I don't think you can just wish for more turnovers next year.

The turnovers come from playing aggressive defense. That's absolutely the opposite of what we do. Our style is to cling on for dear life.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I don't think you can just wish for more turnovers next year.
precisely.

what would make anyone think we would get a lot more turnovers this year? the scheme is the same. the coaches are the same. and we haven't really added any playmakers. i don't think Tony Romo coming back is going to mean significantly more turnovers. maybe some of the younger guys will develop and surprise but until they show something its all kinda wishful thinking.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
I don't think you can just wish for more turnovers next year.
precisely.

what would make anyone think we would get a lot more turnovers this year? the scheme is the same. the coaches are the same. and we haven't really added any playmakers. i don't think Tony Romo coming back is going to mean significantly more turnovers. maybe some of the younger guys will develop and surprise but until they show something its all kinda wishful thinking.

I bet we have more. Escrow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.