****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,443 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you a Super Bowl or bust guy?

Of course this team isn't going all the way. But that doesn't mean we can't win our division and make the playoffs.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:

Of course this team isn't going all the way. But that doesn't mean we can't win our division and make the playoffs.

I'm a "make progress through solid internal player development" guy.

If the bar is "occasionally make the playoffs" then Jerrys your guy.

If you want to be a Super Bowl contender, he's not.

Pretty simple IMO.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
As this roster is currently constructed Jason Garrett would have to be coach of the year if they go 12-4 or better. The talent or lack thereof on D is seriously in deficit compared to some other clubs.
PooDoo
AG
The good news is building a dominant defense will be WAAAY easier than finding a replacement for Romo.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not gonna pretend we'll have a good defense or even top half of the league defense. But there is a chance they can be good enough. I'm not hopeful, but willing to see what happens once we get Lawrence back.

The league is a bit of a mess right now with free agency and too many teams are held hostage by a few star players taking up 50%+ of their salary cap. So the good news is that most rosters out there have exploitable holes (and I dare say every team is one bad injury away from going from playoff contender to drafting in the top 10 next year). Sure, our defense on paper is a bit of a mess right now, but our offense is as solid as they come.
Sea Gull
AG
Cowboys signed James Morris. McClain won't play another down for Dallas.
Silvertaps
AG
Moore broke his ankle today...guess Jerah gotta go get Foles.
hph6203
AG
Nah, they gotta get another backup that's worse than Dak, because you can't develop a guy if a vet is taking his snaps.
BassCowboy33
This will probably make the team better. Foles is a significant upgrade.
jr15aggie
AG
Romo goes down again and I'd rather just tank the season with Dak & Showers and then go all in for a QB in the draft.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Moore's ankle did them a favor. I don't know how anyone can watch him throw and think "NFL QB"
BassCowboy33
quote:
Romo goes down again and I'd rather just tank the season with Dak & Showers and then go all in for a QB in the draft.

To be plum honest, drafting Garrett might be just as helpful with that atrocious Defense.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Moore's ankle did them a favor. I don't know how anyone can watch him throw and think "NFL QB"
we are talking about the Jones family.

The Collective
AG
Why was anyone within 3 feet of Moore anyway?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sounds like it was the dreaded "blocked toward and lost balance" situation, where the player stumbled toward him. Also sounds like Moore was on the move, so he was a bit of a moving target to avoid.
Boiling Denim
I wonder if Johnny ever thinks of what could have been. With Moore injured he would have been the de facto backup in Dallas and one LBer hit on Tony away from starting...eh screw it *snort*

Sea Gull
AG
I was never impressed with Moore. Is Weeden available?
Sea Gull
AG
According to Broaddus, the Cowboys just signed a Ray Lewis type of LB.
Saint Pablo
Losing Kellen Moore is a complete non issue, in my mind.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
He was no superstar but the Cowboys coaches love him. I guess they see some Romo intangibles. He did win like 100 games in college. Too bad for him getting injured.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

Pretty simple IMO.

I think you can make a case that in the last 4 to 5 years, JJ has been taking more of a back seat in this area. It's pretty clear that Stephen has pretty good control over what is spent. While McClay is not a GM in title, it appears he is that defacto guy and he has had offers to leave and has stayed. My guess is they are compensating him similar to a GM.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

Disagree. If Romo goes down for say 6 games then having a guy like Foles instead of Moore might mean the difference between 3-3 and 0-6.
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
He was no superstar but the Cowboys coaches love him. I guess they see some Romo intangibles. He did win like 100 games in college. Too bad for him getting injured.

I see him as more of a Colt McCoy.
ursusguy
AG
Time for the Micheal Bishop school of offense with Dez at QB. Supposedly Dez has the strongest throwing arm of anyone on the team, it just comes with one setting. Everyone go deep, and Dez play dodgeball for a while, lob, and occasionally take off himself.

Granted, he would normally be the best target.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Time for the Micheal Bishop school of offense with Dez at QB. Supposedly Dez has the strongest throwing arm of anyone on the team, it just comes with one setting. Everyone go deep, and Dez play dodgeball for a while, lob, and occasionally take off himself.

Granted, he would normally be the best target.
Had a guy in high school do this at practice. He was a WR... 1st team all state in TX, played in college, & then played for the Broncos for a short while. At the end of practice we'd run the "run out the clock" play and he would take a shotgun snap and then run around until the clock ran out. Sometimes when he'd get enough space he would just laugh at all the guys trying to tackle him as he ran around in circles.

Last game of the season it was 4th down and we were up by a few points... we ran the play and it worked just like it did in practice. When the clock expired our band ran on the field and he was still going. He ran through the band and into the end zone. It was exactly like the Cal/Stanford play so many years ago. No idea if the TD counted, but we won the game!!!

Long story short... put Dez at QB!!!
hph6203
AG
Foles or Mccown, which would you rather have if you could get Foles for no draft pick, or Mccown for a 6th/7th rounder?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Foles or Mccown, which would you rather have if you could get Foles for no draft pick, or Mccown for a 6th/7th rounder?

Paxton Lynch!

Especially considering we threw away our 2nd round pick anyway.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty simple IMO.

I think you can make a case that in the last 4 to 5 years, JJ has been taking more of a back seat in this area. It's pretty clear that Stephen has pretty good control over what is spent. While McClay is not a GM in title, it appears he is that defacto guy and he has had offers to leave and has stayed. My guess is they are compensating him similar to a GM.

You could make that case if you wanted but I think there's more evidence that Jerry still controls too much on the personnel side.

And no matter what you think the personnel model is it's inconsistent and flawed because of the last, oh, 20 years or so?
ursusguy
AG
With Dak and Showers, Vick might not be a terrible option......or could be real terrible.
TyHolden
AG
Get foles
txagman1998
AG
Foles just signed with the Chiefs...no longer an option.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty simple IMO.

You could make that case if you wanted but I think there's more evidence that Jerry still controls too much on the personnel side.

And no matter what you think the personnel model is it's inconsistent and flawed because of the last, oh, 20 years or so?

Well, if you're point is that JJ has ANY input, that's too much, I would agree with you on that. But I think if you are discounting that JJ's influence has diminished, you are simply not being honest. Stephen has wrestled some control away from JJ. That's just a fact.

And I think it's unfair to judge McClay based on what JJ did 15 years ago. I don't think anyone is arguing that JJ has historically done things in a very inconsistent and dubious manner.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty simple IMO.

Well, if you're point is that JJ has ANY input, that's too much, I would agree with you on that. But I think if you are discounting that JJ's influence has diminished, you are simply not being honest. Stephen has wrestled some control away from JJ. That's just a fact.

And I think it's unfair to judge McClay based on what JJ did 15 years ago. I don't think anyone is arguing that JJ has historically done things in a very inconsistent and dubious manner.

Stephen seems to be the cap guy.

Great.

The entire model is still awful and Jerry is still at the center of it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Stephen Jones has proven zero so far as well. All we have been hearing for years is that the Cowboys are in better hands now that Stephen is taking more control. Other than the 2014 season which didn't even get the team to a conference title game, the Cowboys have been mediocre at best even under Stephen's "leadership".

I'm guessing the Cowboys will now ship a pick off to some team for their backup QB.
Macarthur
quote:
Stephen Jones has proven zero so far as well. All we have been hearing for years is that the Cowboys are in better hands now that Stephen is taking more control. Other than the 2014 season which didn't even get the team to a conference title game, the Cowboys have been mediocre at best even under Stephen's "leadership".

I'm guessing the Cowboys will now ship a pick off to some team for their backup QB.

I'm not saying that with Stephen they will suddenly be the best run organization in sports, but I do think it's fair to say that since Stephen has wrestled some control away, they have been more disciplined than in the past, esp with regards to free agency.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.