****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,444 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
romo cannot be traded. too big a salary cap hit.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
If you are win now mode there is no point in drafting a QB. If you draft a QB in round one might as well package Romo for a few picks too
That's the thing... I don't think they for sure know what mode they're in until the third pick is made and they look at the board.
Macarthur
quote:
If you are win now mode there is no point in drafting a QB. If you draft a QB in round one might as well package Romo for a few picks too

I don't think it's an either or.

I don't think you have to assume that drafting a QB automatically puts them in a rebuilding mode and drafting a QB in the first certainly doesn't mean they can't still be in a win now mode. Teams are winning with young QBs all the time. With the OL we have and Dez, that gives a kid like Goff a pretty darn good foundation.
jr15aggie
AG
I agree... taking a QB doesn't mean anything other than the fact that we haven't seriously drafted a QB since Quincy Carter. The Colts are one example of a team that never had multiple "rebuilding" years. They had 1 year where Manning got hurt, did horrible that season, and parlayed that into Andrew Luck.

Nothing wrong with getting a top QB now but still winning with Romo.

Lot's of options. The absolute best case scenario would be for some team in the teens trading up to #4 to get a QB... Dallas gets their 2nd this year and next years #1 for their trouble... said team starts drafted QB day 1 and has a horrible season (like Aikman's 1st year)... Dallas loads up on talent this year and takes the undisputed #1 QB next year.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I agree... taking a QB doesn't mean anything other than the fact that we haven't seriously drafted a QB since Quincy Carter. The Colts are one example of a team that never had multiple "rebuilding" years. They had 1 year where Manning got hurt, did horrible that season, and parlayed that into Andrew Luck.

Nothing wrong with getting a top QB now but still winning with Romo.

Lot's of options. The absolute best case scenario would be for some team in the teens trading up to #4 to get a QB... Dallas gets their 2nd this year and next years #1 for their trouble... said team starts drafted QB day 1 and has a horrible season (like Aikman's 1st year)... Dallas loads up on talent this year and takes the undisputed #1 QB next year.

Didn't Dallas do something like this with Cleveland back when? Got Cleveland's 2008 #1? Turned out to be the Derek Anderson Renaissance.
corleoneAg99
AG
They are absolutely in win now mode and they believe that 100% which has no bearing on whether they should take a QB at 4. In fact I'd argue that given Romo's recent injuries the best win now move would be to have the next guy on the roster via that pick.
Macarthur
quote:
They are absolutely in win now mode and they believe that 100% which has no bearing on whether they should take a QB at 4. In fact I'd argue that given Romo's recent injuries the best win now move would be to have the next guy on the roster via that pick.
Agree 100%
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
Didn't Dallas do something like this with Cleveland back when? Got Cleveland's 2008 #1? Turned out to be the Derek Anderson Renaissance.

Yes, the Cowboys turned that pick into Demarcus Ware. I say Ware because if we didn't have the extra 1st Parcells would've taken Marcus Spears as their only 1st rounder.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, the Cowboys turned that pick into Demarcus Ware. I say Ware because if we didn't have the extra 1st Parcells would've taken Marcus Spears as their only 1st rounder.

Actually, I believe the pick was Felix Jones at #22. Ware was taken in 2005 at #11. Spears was taken later in the round with a pick from Buffalo.
PooDoo
AG
You're right, that pick was the trade down with Stephen Jackson on the board.
PooDoo
AG
Just watched a couple of Jalen Ramsey's games and I can't see what makes him a top 5 pick other than his size & speed. He's not going to get you int's. I don't think he's going to be a shut down corner.

A guy that big and fast on that defense should have more than 3 career int's. I don't think he's going to be a playmaker in the passing game in the NFL.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jalen-ramsey-vs-miami-2015/
corleoneAg99
AG
It's pretty tough to impress this board.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
It's funny cause when you are drafting in the teens you get mad looking at the top 5-10 guys that you know you'll have no shot to get unless you give away a fortune to trade up. And now that we are "lucky" enough to be drafting #4 we are concerned about getting the wrong elite prospect!

I'm just trying to keep in mind whoever we get will improve this team whether they become premier pro bowl type player or not. And let's give our coaches and scouts some credit... in recent years they have done a pretty good job of hitting with their top picks. We've had too many misses in the middle rounds for my taste, but we have done well with our early picks.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
It's funny cause when you are drafting in the teens you get mad looking at the top 5-10 guys that you know you'll have no shot to get unless you give away a fortune to trade up. And now that we are "lucky" enough to be drafting #4 we are concerned about getting the wrong elite prospect!

I'm just trying to keep in mind whoever we get will improve this team whether they become premier pro bowl type player or not. And let's give our coaches and scouts some credit... in recent years they have done a pretty good job of hitting with their top picks. We've had too many misses in the middle rounds for my taste, but we have done well with our early picks.
To be blunt, missing in those middle rounds is what's hurt the team the most over the last 5-10 years. That's where depth is accumulated.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
To be blunt, missing in those middle rounds is what's hurt the team the most over the last 5-10 years. That's where depth is accumulated.

I completely agree. Guys like Street being wasted space is hurting us. I was simply pointing out that we will probably be OK with whoever we get at #4. I'm looking forward, as always, to seeing how the draft plays out.

Guys we missed on (excludes last years draft): Devin Street, BW Webb, Joseph Randle, Matt Johnson, Danny Coale.

The guys we hit on (starter or key rotation/special teams guy): Anthony Hitchens, JJ Wilcox, Terrance Williams, Tyrone Crawford, Kyle Wilber.

So we aren't doing horrible really... the percentages aren't great that you'll get STUDS in those rounds, but to have so many absolute flame-outs in recent years hurts us for sure. I think if we had drafted Matt Johnson to surf the internet all day he still would have blown out a knee or pulled a hammy!
PooDoo
AG
I guess that's why Will McClay is worth so much to our franchise. Being able to pull contributors out of free agency to fill the gaps left by late round wash outs keeps us from being a complete joke.
. . .
From April 8 - "Tony Pauline/DraftInsider"
quote:
Back in February I reported Jalen Ramsey was atop the Dallas Cowboys draft board and can tell you nothing has changed as the Florida State defensive back is still number one with the organization. I'm told the team has Carson Wentz of North Dakota State as their highest rated quarterback and top three on their board.

Dallas has come off of Joey Bosa somewhat as I'm told Leon Lett is down on the Ohio State lineman. They continue to be very high on Buckeye running back Ezekiel Elliott.

The Cowboys are one of four teams that have inquired on moving up to the top spot of the draft. The other three teams are the Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers and the New York Jets, who are the dark horse.

April 12 - Jason Cole/BR
quote:
According to a source I talked with on Tuesday, there's a growing sense within the Cowboys organization that the team is serious about taking a QB and will consider taking that position at the number four overall spot in the draft. The reason is, people within the organization believe the Cowboys will not be this high in the draft anytime soon after this year. They suffered through a freakish season in which they lost both Tony Romo & Dez Bryant and that caused them to tumble severely.

There are still others in the organization saying defense is a much higher priority for that team and even running back, someone such Ezekiel Elliott out of Ohio State would be a better fit to protect Tony Romo and make sure this team takes advantage of the opportunity it has right now. However, again, there are people within the organization arguing very strongly in favor of taking one of the top QBs such Carson Wentz or Jared Goff at number four.
jr15aggie
AG
Thanks for sharing. Mirrors what most of us have thought... the Romo for 4-5 years is a smokescreen and they absolutely would take a QB if they had one rated high enough.

I don't make much of the trade talk... Dallas just testing the waters to see what the Titan's asking price is. They aren't giving away next years #1 and / or sacrificing multiple picks in this years draft to get the #1 pick. But I believe Philly & SF are strongly considering it. They are also watching the Browns very closely... if they pass on QB with the 2nd pick San Diego's phone is gonna start ringing!

For the past couple years the Cowboys have let the draft come to them in the 1st round and it's worked out really well. I say stay put and see what happens. I'm liking the fact that they are souring on Bosa... if Ramsey really is their top guy and he's gone, then you take the QB or Zeke at #4 and it will be a very solid pick.

corleoneAg99
AG
As they say, it's lying season.
PooDoo
PooDoo
AG
I miss on DE's but Bosa is sooo disruptive. This year it looks like most of the plays against Ohio State were called away from Bosa's side of the field and he still managed to make a bunch of plays.

He gets off balance quite a bit but I'm not sure how big of a negative that will be in the NFL.

He's just 20... Dominated in a major conference. I'd have a hard time passing on him if he's there at 4.
Disco Stu
AG
Broaddus has been pretty adamant that the Cowboys didn't even start putting their board together until yesterday, so I take any talk of who is at the top of the draft board prior with a grain of salt.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Broaddus has been pretty adamant that the Cowboys didn't even start putting their board together until yesterday, so I take any talk of who is at the top of the draft board prior with a grain of salt.
And he's absolutely right! But these reporters have credible sources, sometimes the scouts themselves... the board wasn't put together yet but these guys have been analyzing and talking about these prospects for months now. They have a pretty good idea how the top of the board is gonna look once it is officially created.

I like what I'm hearing so far and I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with the pick at #4!
PooDoo
PooDoo
AG
Anyone see the Gruden QB Camp on Goff & Wentz last night?

I also caught the end of some other loud mouthed espn show where they said historically only 11% of the players drafted in the 1st round start all 16 games their rookie season.

So we are looking for 1 of those 3.5 first rounders this year to start the whole season... at pick #4.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Anyone see the Gruden QB Camp on Goff & Wentz last night?

I also caught the end of some other loud mouthed espn show where they said historically only 11% of the players drafted in the 1st round start all 16 games their rookie season.

So we are looking for 1 of those 3.5 first rounders this year to start the whole season... at pick #4.

I don't care if they don't start at all this year. If you told me that they'd ride the pine for two years, then give 10 years of A level stuff, I'd be all for it.
PooDoo
AG
You'd be happy if Ramsey or Bosa rode the pine for 2 years?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
You'd be happy if Ramsey or Bosa rode the pine for 2 years?
I think he was referring to just the QBs.

I'm trying to think which guys would have the best chance at starting for us all 16 games. I don't think any of them are a shoe-in to start all 16 games... it's not like our team is that bad to assume a rookie will start every game no matter what.

I'd say Zeke would have the best chance followed by Ramsey. Right behind them would be Jack (obviously assumes he's healthy). Those are the only 3 guys that I see with a decent chance at starting all 16 games for us this year.

corleoneAg99
AG
Ramsey, Jack, Bosa, Elliot, Hargreaves, Buckner all start or play most of the snaps day 1. Starts is not an important stat...number of snaps is.

And assuming the chalk right now, which is the first three picks will be some combo of Tunsil, Ramsey, and on of the QB's, the question is which of the guys above provides the most value at 4.

For me it's Goff or Wentz and it's not even close but if not, then I'm taking Buckner or Bosa.
corleoneAg99
AG
Oh and I think Jack is easily the best talent there but I don't think LB is a good positional value at 4.

Having said that, that's who I think(for now) they end up taking.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Given they haven't looked for a backup QB - Clemens is a bad joke, I think they are going QB and blowing smoke to try and prevent a trade-up.
jr15aggie
AG
Well, the Cowboys will likely not have a chance to draft this high as long as Romo is the QB and healthy.

And I'm pretty sure I remember Jerry, at one point, admitting he never wanted to go through the QB hell they went through after Aikman and before they got historically lucky with Romo.

I say QB is definitely in play here.
birdman
Off the top of my head, I'd say that Smith, Frederick, and Martin started every game their rookie season. And played well.

Pick Bosa and never look back. If he is gone, you pick Buckner.
corleoneAg99
AG
Well. This all just changed.
Goldie Wilson
Yup. I don't think Wentz or Goff are there at 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.