****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,458 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i can totally see them trading down but i'm not sure anyone is going to give them a 2nd. other teams aren't as clueless and willing to overpay as Jerry. if they do get a 2nd though that would be huge obviously as they could really have 3 day one 2016 contributors potentially at 3/4 DB,DL, LB, WR/RB.

other than Romo and Witten the team is young and thats encouraging.

as far as taking another CB i think Jones can be that great Safety the team has been lacking for years. so if he's moved there full time, and we draft another playmaking CB then our secondary looks great.

i feel like by the time the combine work outs etc happen there will be some good offensive playmakers still available at the top of the 2nd.
Boiling Denim
Wish List:
Lamar Miller
Alshon Jeffery
Eric Weddle

We need one of everything I think

QB, RB, WR, TE, RT, DT, ILB, CB
BMX Bandit
Team is as likely to sign Tony Hill as it is Alshon Jeffrey
Macarthur
Goff is looking good.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
They handled Dez & Demarco exactly how they should have.
No they didn't.

They should've had Dez's contract done before the offseason. That way he would've been in camp and in shape week one.

They should've used the franchise tag on Demarco and given Dez, Demarco, & Romo, one more run.

Using the tag on Demarco was never going to happen. It would be paying way above the market for him.

It would have been an epic blunder.

And saying "they should have signed Dez earlier" is great, but how? What number would you have signed him at? Would be a lot more than he gets now
Tagging Demarco would be an epic blunder? LOL This last season was an epic blunder. Tagging Demarco would've just been a one year run after a Superbowl. If it didn't work, adios spraytan.
Macarthur
If you're just going by the bowl games, Goff looks much better than Paxton.
BMX Bandit
Yes, tagging Murray would have been stupid. Dez was the more valuable player & one for which the franchise number made sense.

Still waiting for an answer on what deal you would have signed Dez to
98Ag99Grad
AG
Dez getting ankle and foot surgery.
SAR Ag
quote:
The Cowboys are going to start Romo next year.
Very concerning considering his fragile condition and lack of quality depth, but what options do they have?
Say Chowdah
AG
Jerry Jones talks about how great this team is. How proud he is of the individual players.

The Cowboys open with several games on high profile time slots.

They stink the field up.

Cowboy fans biatch about it and crow they are still - somehow - relevant and "America's Team".
JAggie2007
AG
quote:
Jerry Jones talks about how great this team is. How proud he is of the individual players.

The Cowboys open with several games on high profile time slots.

They stink the field up.

Cowboy fans biatch about it and crow they are still - somehow - relevant and "America's Team".
Okay...
Southlake
Romo is so delicate, chances are he gets hurt again or has trouble coming back to form after another year. Remember, he pretty much sucked against the Giants and needed a bone head play by Manning to have a chance to win. Witten, Romo's security blanket is also slowing down. Dez is undergoing surgery and a bit loopy.
Romo hugely depends on both.
Why not take Goff now as Romo's understudy and start building for the next era in Cowboy football? Everyone dreams/hopes the Romo window is still open but this way we're developing a QB, ala Cousins who not only backs up Tony but is also the future. Plugging in a Weeden or a Kassel as a back up just doesn't work and we can all see how pathetic Moore is today.

Sooner or later we gotta get that next QB. If Goff's combine numbers are excellent, I say take him.
Smokes With Cigarettes
Say chowdah, you do realize no matter how much your patriots win, we all assume they cheated. Every win should have an asterisk.
Southlake
He is right: the Cowboys suck. But right now New England is losing to Miami and that will cost them a no. 1 seed.
mavsfan4ever
AG
435 yards and 3 td currently for Moore. He's at least better than cassell.
BassCowboy33
Dallas is gonna get a chance for Goff/Lynch. They won't be this bad again for who knows how long. Have to get one of them.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
He is right: the Cowboys suck. But right now New England is losing to Miami and that will cost them a no. 1 seed.

Only if the Broncos win too (which looks likely).

But I don't think it will matter. I don't think either the Broncos nor the Bengals advance to the AFC Championship with backup QB's.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Yes, tagging Murray would have been stupid. Dez was the more valuable player & one for which the franchise number made sense.

Still waiting for an answer on what deal you would have signed Dez to
5 years $70 million

DannyDuberstein
AG
#4 overall pick. Need to spend it on a QB. Between Romo's back and shoulder, he's effectively done. We're going to be treated to an extreme case of duck-and-cover Tony. He's too brittle to hold his ground in the pocket, and you just can't run an offense that way.

i don't know what plans SD has for Rivers or what trades may take place, but at this point, only 1 of the 3 teams in front of them needs a qb.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Yes, Dez's contract is fair if you assume he's truly a top WR. I don't. I think he's horribly inconsistent and not worthy of top tier status.

My house has been firebombed when I made a slightly similar, yet a little more flattering, statement about Dez. Admittedly, I've never been a Dez fan and thought that he was a ticking time bomb. If a trade offer makes sense, I think the Cowboys should listen.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Need to spend it on a QB. Between Romo's back and shoulder, he's effectively done.
I think everyone agrees on that; the question is, is 4 too high for a QB in THIS draft? We're picking high in the second round too, so do we wait and get someone not quite as polished (by appearance) but still has a good upside?

How many guys that are currently playing QB at a high level in the NFL were drafted in the top 5? I'm really interested in knowing that. If ALL of them, then we have little choice. But if, as I suspect, less than a third were, then the wait and see option may be prudent.
Ag Natural
AG
If there is a top 4 projected QB In this draft the Cowboys need to fleece somebody for more picks.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Need to spend it on a QB. Between Romo's back and shoulder, he's effectively done.
I think everyone agrees on that; the question is, is 4 too high for a QB in THIS draft? We're picking high in the second round too, so do we wait and get someone not quite as polished (by appearance) but still has a good upside?

How many guys that are currently playing QB at a high level in the NFL were drafted in the top 5? I'm really interested in knowing that. If ALL of them, then we have little choice. But if, as I suspect, less than a third were, then the wait and see option may be prudent.

DMN had a good article about this a couple weeks ago. Virtually every single top tier quarterback was a first round pick. I believe that Brady, Wilson, and Romo were the odd guns out. Brees was high second round. The article laid out a slew of stats that basically showed that if you want a Top Tier QB it nearly always comes at a Top Tier pick.

If I remember correctly, of the 32 starting quarterbacks, about half of them were first round picks. The stats became even more skewed towards first rounders in playoff starters, especially when discounting backups that start in the playoffs due to injury.
RedlineAg08
Just not a fan of a 1st round QB this year. Regardless of where we draft a QB, Romo is starting next year. In that case, I'd rather take a Hackenburg, Prescott, etc in the 2nd-3rd round and let him sit a year or 2 and learn/develop.

This offense is great when Romo is healthy. Drafting a 1st round QB isn't going to make it better unless Romo is out. Drafting an impact defensive player pays dividends starting next year, and I believe if the team is healthy they can win next year.

This is a good start and the holes can be filled in with quality FAs.

DE - G. Hardy
DT - T. Crawford
DT - ? / A. Robinson / J. Reed / R. Nkemdiche
DE - D. Lawerence / R. Gregory
LB - S. Lee
LB - R. McClain / ?
LN - ?
CB - O. Scandrick
CB - ? / V. Hargreaves
FS - B. Jones
SS - ? / Barry Church

There are very good players in this draft that aren't QBs. Please don't waste a 4th pick on a questionable QB.
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure Jerry is in the "Romo or bust" mindset still. Not saying it's right, but I believe Jerry feels the window is open as long as Romo can play. As many have speculated, getting him more firepower is not out of the question in round 1.

I honestly don't really care... it will be a fun build up to the draft though with all the options on the table. And besides, the last time I stopped caring the Cowboys almost made it to the NFC Championship game... it was a catch!
RedlineAg08
quote:
Pretty sure Jerry is in the "Romo or bust" mindset still. Not saying it's right, but I believe Jerry feels the window is open as long as Romo can play. As many have speculated, getting him more firepower is not out of the question in round 1.

I honestly don't really care... it will be a fun build up to the draft though with all the options on the table. And besides, the last time I stopped caring the Cowboys almost made it to the NFC Championship game... it was a catch!
me too jr! I swore them off that offseason and they totally brought me back in.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
4th overall pick.

They can get at least 2 day one contributors. One defense one offense?

I really doubt Jerry goes QB.
Ag Natural
AG
All the chatter is that Jerry will go get Johnny. If that happens then he's definitely not drafting a guy.
jeffdjohnson
The Cowboys shouldn't trade for Johnny. Cleveland will certainly release him so it's not necessary.

Only way the Cowboys should take Johnny is on a non guaranteed deal that puts him on the tightest of leashes.
RedlineAg08
A 4th-7th round pick (depending on where they grade out) of either Alex Collins or Jonathan Williams would be nice. Darren McFadden is still great when he's healthy, but i'd be nice to have either of those guys behind him.
Macarthur
I think Goff is worthy of a top 4 pick.

I think the kid from Memphis is a real boom bust guy. Great tools, but has a lot to learn. Cook is a game manager, at best. The Wentz kid from N Dakota is an intriguing prospect, but not ready to play now.

I think Goff has the highest floor of all of them.
Matsui
AG
Would the Cowboys take Goff at 4 and sit him for 3 years, like Rodgers style? I think they are all in with Romo for another 2-3 years so they take an immediate impact player at 4 or trade down and try to get more picks.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Would the Cowboys take Goff at 4 and sit him for 3 years, like Rodgers style? I think they are all in with Romo for another 2-3 years so they take an immediate impact player at 4 or trade down and try to get more picks.
I personally like Prescott over Goff.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I personally like Prescott over Goff.

Absolutely. Guys like Favre, Young, Rodgers, Vick, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw, Romo, etc. all sat for at least one year. The idea that a high draft pick should start immediately is a relatively modern notion. People see what Aikman, Elway, and even Luck did and assume that that's normal, which it most certainly isn't. Manning and Aikman were beyond awful in their rookie seasons. It's even more pronounced now with the spread offense taking over college ball.

Also, Hackenberg is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Prescott has the kind of wind up that is normally reserved for lobbing grenades at the enemy.

Remember, the knock on Rodgers out of college was that he lacked arm strength, didn't throw downfield, and played in a spread system. A few years on the bench and in the weight room count for world's. Dallas is playing with fire if they don't take a quarterback in the first round. Romo is one play from his career being over. Dallas has an offense that will be stable for years to come, especially in the trenches. It's much, much easier to find good LBs, CBs, and the like in later rounds. Finding a good qb at that point in infinitely harder. Plus, who knows how much longer it be until Dallas is this bad, again? This is a once in every 15-20 opportunity for this franchise.
Macarthur
quote:

You're assuming Romo can play that long. I think whomever they pick will play some next year because I don't think Romo will make it 16 games. I think they would prob bring Romo back in 17, but same scenario applies. 18 would be Romo Free, IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.