****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,002 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Dang man, do you even enjoy watching the Cowboys anymore?

When Romo is playing, sure. Otherwise they are an overhyped beating.
If that's the case, you'll be lucky to enjoy watching 16 more Cowboy games.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No worries, mate... we got Dak!!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The same guy who made the Claiborne trade up.

Jerry.

If you don't think he's calling the shots in the first couple rounds then I'm not sure what to tell you other than propaganda is usually bad.

Please proceed with the kool aid though. More glory hole that way.

Virtually everyone close to this team says that this is not the case, at least not how you portray it.

Clearly, Jerry is still looming large, but everyone with connections says that Stephen has take a huge amount of the reins.

Ok so best case scenario Stephen is bad at his job too?

Sounds good.

There are those in the league that disagree.

http://www.endzonescore.com/nfl-executive-believes-the-dallas-cowboys-are-super-bowl-bound/38447

Now, I'm certainly not booking my trip for the next SB, and I'm not ready to say Stephen is going to be executive of the year every year.

But I also think you're allowing your Jerry hatred to cloud your perception, a bit.
we have been hearing the "Watch out for Stephen Jones...he's the next great NFL Executive" talk for years now. where are the results on the field for this? for the record, you guys know i've been on the board for years and years talkin Cowboys football and there was a time when i too was patient with the Jones family and said "wait.its just a down cycle the Cowboys will be back". there was a time when I thought Jerry was great so I'm not a Jerry hater by any means but lets call a spade a spade. numbers and results don't lie. and the fact of the matter is the Cowboys aside from 2014 when they lost in the 2nd round have not proven to really be that much better (maybe a little?) since the years we perceived Jerry was meddling.
Macarthur
Do you really believe that things are done the same way they were when, say, Campo was here or even Wade?

Haven't you noticed some restraint with regards to free agency and draft trades? McClay has a large say and was courted this offseason for a GM job.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with JJ and will be glad when he's gone, but objectively, I don't see how anyone could say that they are doing business the same as they were a decade ago.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Not saying they are doing business the same way. I'm saying the proof is in the pudding though. This is a results oriented business (at least from a fan's perspective maybe not financially as they are doing just fine on that end).

We can talk about how things are now done the right way all we want but in the end the results have only been mildly better at best. The results on the field.

Maybe it'll come to fruition in the next year or two though. I'm not saying it wont. I'm just saying as Bill Parcells once said "lets put away the anointing oil for now".
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Not saying they are doing business the same way. I'm saying the proof is in the pudding though. This is a results oriented business (at least from a fan's perspective maybe not financially as they are doing just fine on that end).

We can talk about how things are now done the right way all we want but in the end the results have only been mildly better at best. The results on the field.

Maybe it'll come to fruition in the next year or two though. I'm not saying it wont. I'm just saying as Bill Parcells once said "lets put away the anointing oil for now".
Then why don't you leave the fanbase and pull for one of the ~50% or so teams that have been worse than the Cowboys for the last decade, like, oh I don't know... the Texans.

Bye.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

Then why don't you leave the fanbase and pull for one of the ~50% or so teams that have been worse than the Cowboys for the last decade, like, oh I don't know... the Texans.

Bye.

Yes, because whenever we get frustrated with our teams we should just pick another one. If that was the case the Cubs and countless other teams wouldn't have any fans.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bye.

Yes, because whenever we get frustrated with our teams we should just pick another one. If that was the case the Cubs and countless other teams wouldn't have any fans.
I smiled for a reason. Just picking at you. Enjoy it. It's a game. And no amount of you being upset is going to change the decisions of management.
Macarthur
quote:

Fair enough. Results are what counts, but I do think you can see that they have gone about constructing a roster very differently than in the past.

They certainly have been consistent. Consistently mediocre, if you will. What are they, like 40-40 over the last 5 years.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry.

If you don't think he's calling the shots in the first couple rounds then I'm not sure what to tell you other than propaganda is usually bad.

Virtually everyone close to this team says that this is not the case, at least not how you portray it.

Clearly, Jerry is still looming large, but everyone with connections says that Stephen has take a huge amount of the reins.

Sounds good.

http://www.endzonescore.com/nfl-executive-believes-the-dallas-cowboys-are-super-bowl-bound/38447

Now, I'm certainly not booking my trip for the next SB, and I'm not ready to say Stephen is going to be executive of the year every year.

But I also think you're allowing your Jerry hatred to cloud your perception, a bit.

Yeah I don't hate Jerry...I just think he's a terrible GM.

And he is. He makes following the actual play on the field an absolute tire fire.

As for executives, or whoever, picking the Cowboys to make the Superbowl welcome to just about every other year with the Dallas Cowboys. They get the most coverage and the most hype and sometimes they convince someone this is the year.

I just disagree because of, you know, the results.

corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Until they hire someone who actually understands the game and they find another QB who isn't Clint Stoerner or Chutch....yup, you're probably right.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry.

Sounds good.

And he is. He makes following the actual play on the field an absolute tire fire.

As for executives, or whoever, picking the Cowboys to make the Superbowl welcome to just about every other year with the Dallas Cowboys. They get the most coverage and the most hype and sometimes they convince someone this is the year.

So, let me ask this. Assuming health (esp Romo), which is what this executive says, do you think the Cowboys are an 11 win team?
RedlineAg08
Assuming Romo is healthy and his body allows him to play at the level that he's played at the past few years. (Basically he doesn't regress like Matt Shaub did from one year to the next).

The Cowboys win 10-11 games this year.

With Romo this offense is top tier without Elliott, and Elliott certainly isn't going to hurt them. The defense is built to maintain.
corleoneAg99
AG
It's possible but super reliant on health and turnover luck. That's the only way they can overcome the issues with the roster that have been present since, oh, the mid 90's?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry.

Sounds good.

So, let me ask this. Assuming health (esp Romo), which is what this executive says, do you think the Cowboys are an 11 win team?

I know you are not asking me but I'll answer anyway...I think if Romo plays 16 games they can win 10-11. (Agree with poster above).

However, if we are talking about next level stuff they currently do not have a team in place that will win a Super Bowl. They just don't have the defensive personnel for it imho. (At this time with the roster as is. Things may change post June 1 cuts).
Macarthur
quote:
It's possible but super reliant on health and turnover luck. That's the only way they can overcome the issues with the roster that have been present since, oh, the mid 90's?

Which is basically the same story for every team in the league.

And I agree w Orlando. Assuming health, they are still two really good pieces away from a quality defense.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

And I agree w Orlando. Assuming health, they are still two really good pieces away from a quality defense.

Right. The Cowboys are the exact same as every team in the league and based on your "logic" any team is capable of 11 wins. Makes total sense.

Lord.
PooDoo
AG
The Cowboys are in similar shape they were before they traded for Charles Haley. Until they find a guy that can rush the passer we might be able to get some playoff wins.

That's why Bosa went 3.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Hardy really must be a shi**ier teammate and person than we originally thought for them to be this desperate for a reliable pass rusher, and him be available on the cheap, yet them not sign him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
he was neither a good teammate nor a reliable pass rusher last year.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Hardy really must be a shi**ier teammate and person than we originally thought for them to be this desperate for a reliable pass rusher, and him be available on the cheap, yet them not sign him.
He wasn't liked is what I heard. Heard a big part of the defenses regression was because they lost that close bond with each other with guys like Hardy creating division. I'm sure you had half the defense wanting nothing to do with him and the other half trying to make it work.

Who knows, but like you said, the fact that he's not even a consideration tells us all we need to know. He very well could be like Ray Rice at this point... he's not getting an NFL job regardless of his talent.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right. The Cowboys are the exact same as every team in the league and based on your "logic" any team is capable of 11 wins. Makes total sense.

Lord.

Dude, I said injuries are the equalizer with everyone. Let Wilson go down and Seattle will look quite diff. Assuming health w/ Romo, I do think they are a cut above mediocre. I never said every team can win 11.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
he was neither a good teammate nor a reliable pass rusher last year.
FWIW, I can't stand Hardy. But after the pictures came out last year during the season the officials stopped calling penalties commit against him. Hardy was getting held or high-lowed nearly every play, and it would never be called. I'm a huge homer and not objective, but it was really blatant. It looked to me like the refs were pissed at Hardy and weren't ever going to call a foul against him. That's why his production suddenly dropped off around the middle of the season.

Hardy is an idiot, a coaches nightmare, a locker room cancer, a media pariah, and the refs let everyone cheat against him. It's really no surprise that he is still unemployed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
not defending him either but you are right to some extent at least. i do remember one game (cant remember which one) where it was really really obvious they were not calling anything for him. the Tackle was getting away with holds and everything else.
PooDoo
AG
Read the rookie DT from Nebraska should be able to allow Crawford to slide out to end while Gregory and Lawrence are suspended. Said pellini's defense at Nebraska was basically the same scheme they run here so he's very comfortable in it.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Read the rookie DT from Nebraska should be able to allow Crawford to slide out to end while Gregory and Lawrence are suspended. Said pellini's defense at Nebraska was basically the same scheme they run here so he's very comfortable in it.

Right. I heard his 2014 tape was really good...his draft stock fell last year when he was in a different defense that didn't suit him. So we might have gotten a good one.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
"Randy had the highest we have on record SAT scores that we have signed," Jones said.
"So I enjoy conversations with him. There is no misunderstanding with Gregory and where his obligations are and what he needs to get done. We don't have to worry about that part because he understands. So how is he is doing? He is doing excellent. I think all thumbs are up."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article77022907.html#storylink=cpy

So Gregory has the highest SAT score on the team? Isn't Frederick an engineer?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Probably more like the guy that took the SAT for Gregory got a great score.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
didn't i read last year that Gregory has serious social and anxiety issues? and that's why he was heavy into the weed? maybe i imagined that or thinking of someone else.

i know it sounds like an easy cop out to some, but i do know someone like this as well and i think its a legit issue for some people.
PooDoo
AG
He seemed at ease during interviews... You can tell he's intelligent but didn't know he was the Cowboys Good Will Hunting.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Smart people don't always make smart decisions. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Gregory ever plays another down in the NFL.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CrottyKid
AG
Well, he couldn't get into Purdue, so there's that.
BassCowboy33
quote:
didn't i read last year that Gregory has serious social and anxiety issues? and that's why he was heavy into the weed? maybe i imagined that or thinking of someone else.

i know it sounds like an easy cop out to some, but i do know someone like this as well and i think its a legit issue for some people.

Maybe someone mentioned it above, but Gregory has Bipolar Disorder.
PooDoo
AG
Tapper's got the sickle cell...
http://m.oudaily.com/sports/tapper-s-sickle-cell-trait-won-t-slow-him-down/article_62735ce2-53ed-11e4-978f-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm
DannyDuberstein
AG
Why not. Sickle cell, nerve damage, all of this value at Jerry's fingertips.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.