****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

206,632 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Probably more than don't

Not gonna lie, my first reaction was, "I've never heard of that analyst".
RedlineAg08
I understand the reference. And I thought his interview was choppy, and made me cringe a little because all he had to say was "My background is a concern, and I'm embarrassed by it. I understand that by drafting me high, a team is going to be taking a risk based on my past. All I can say is I'm willing to get into programs, or counselling, or whatever it takes to put it behind me." I thought he did some of that, but it almost didn't sound believable.

With that he'd go in the top 5 w/o a doubt. He still may. I did like that he admitted to taking plays off. Everyone knew he did, so don't lie about it.

Whatever, I don't think the Cowboys draft him because they have enough on their hands, but he's probably a top 3 talent in this draft.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I understand the reference. And I thought his interview was choppy, and made me cringe a little because all he had to say was "My background is a concern, and I'm embarrassed by it. I understand that by drafting me high, a team is going to be taking a risk based on my past. All I can say is I'm willing to get into programs, or counselling, or whatever it takes to put it behind me." I thought he did some of that, but it almost didn't sound believable.

With that he'd go in the top 5 w/o a doubt. He still may. I did like that he admitted to taking plays off. Everyone knew he did, so don't lie about it.

Whatever, I don't think the Cowboys draft him because they have enough on their hands, but he's probably a top 3 talent in this draft.
Having played at the college level, I can promise you that EVERY player takes plays off. I agree the kid shouldn't be admonished for admitting that.
BassCowboy33
Real quick, Jeff Bowers was on The Invasion this morning:

- Believes that Dallas really wants to trade down.

- Dallas would like to shop Goff to other teams at #4. Ideally would like to move to 7-12. Any lower than that and you lose out on the top tier of players.

- Bosa is likely Dallas' backup plan. The issue with Bosa is he plays RDE, which Dallas already has (Lawrence). DE in a 4-3 scheme aren't as moveable as OLB rushing from a 3-4.

- Thinks Bosa projects along the lines of Greg Ellis: a run stopping defensive end that can give you eight or so sacks a year.

- Worst draft for WR that he's ever seen

- Best draft for interior d lineman he's ever seen. Thinks Dallas will not take an interior dman early on because of this.
Sea Gull
AG
All great points, I think. I'd be happy with trading down, if we could grab some good picks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, my view all along is that if you don't want one of the QB's, trade down. That said, I still think they should take one of the two QB's if one makes it to #4.

All that said, it takes two to tango. That has oftentimes been a challenge for teams at the top looking to move down, especially in a draft like this one where there is a very solid group in the 7-12 range that I don't necessarily think is inferior to the guys that will be available at 4-7 (QB's excluded).

quote:
Worst draft for WR that he's ever seen

The only portion of the combine I've watched was QB's/WR's, and as I was watching, I kept being struck by how sloppy most of the WR's looked.
RedlineAg08
True they aren't as movable in some 4-3 schemes. I actually think Bosa would make a better LDE for Dallas.

RedlineAg08
Just read Todd McShay's breakdown of Lawson's weekend:
I didn't expect Lawson to put up good numbers today -- this event isn't built for a guy like him whose game thrives on power and effort more than speed and raw athleticism -- but the Clemson star had a pretty good day. He ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds, including a 1.64 10-yard split. Those aren't elite numbers by any means, but they are above average for his position. The same goes for his results in the agility drills, which, again, don't really highlight the strengths of his game. Lawson, who led the FBS with 25.5 tackles for loss in 2015, is a high-energy defensive end who plays with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline. These results should help him lock down a spot in the first round as one of the top DE prospects in the class.

#LETSRIDE!
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What I like about elliot is the x factor of our oline. McFadden had a good year, but you put an elite back behind that line and our offense could take off. If we are gonna reject the qbs we need to scare defenses off Romo as much as possible with a lethal run and screen game.

But we are still gonna need lots of help on D. Fingers crossed Scandrick comes back 100% cause that will be1 impact player we didn't have last year.

Calling him an elite back before he's played a single down is premature. Plenty of great college backs never did well in the NFL.
No offense, but what the heck else do we have to go from!? We don't get to see these guys in the NFL and then draft them. All we have to go from is their college tape and combine stats. From college tape, Elliot is ELITE!!! The guy is unbelievable! Anybody looking for guarantees is crap out of luck!
Is that you Stephen A?
corleoneAg99
AG
So if Dallas really doesn't want to take a QB you have CLE at 2 who really needs one and then SF at 7 who could if they don't reconcile with Kap. Then you have Eagles at 13 who are also a maybe and then LA Rams at 15 who would seem to be in the market for sure.

Question is who would be interested in moving up then? If Dallas doesn't want to take one and Jerry's rhetoric is in line with that why would anyone feel the need to trade to 4?

The SF situation clouds things a little.
RedlineAg08
quote:
So if Dallas really doesn't want to take a QB you have CLE at 2 who really needs one and then SF at 7 who could if they don't reconcile with Kap. Then you have Eagles at 13 who are also a maybe and then LA Rams at 15 who would seem to be in the market for sure.

Question is who would be interested in moving up then? If Dallas doesn't want to take one and Jerry's rhetoric is in line with that why would anyone feel the need to trade to 4?

Hypothetical:

LA Rams offer Michael Brockers and their 1st to move up to 4... Do you take it?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would prefer SF. Keeps you in that 7-12 tier and I'm also not wild about the prospect of helping Philly obtain what I think is going to be a very good NFL QB.
corleoneAg99
AG
No on that STL deal...need more IMO.

BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Hypothetical:

LA Rams offer Michael Brockers and their 1st to move up to 4... Do you take it?

I forgot, Bowers addressed this. He said Dallas would be looking for a 2nd and 4th at a minimum for a trade with St Louis.
corleoneAg99
AG
So 1 for 1, 2, 4, right?
BassCowboy33
quote:
So 1 for 1, 2, 4, right?

Yes. St. Louis has two 2nd round picks, so sentiment seems to be that they'd part with one.
BassCowboy33
Sturm just had a great discussion with Jake Kemp:

- Make no mistake, at pick #4 it's difficult to pick someone who will not be able to make an impact. Basically, there are multiple good picks at that spot.

- Doesn't understand how Jerry can put his trust in a QB who has been injured each of the last four season and sixteen of the last thirty-two games to make it through another two years, let alone 4+ years.

- If you pick Bosa or Ramsey at that spot, they will make more of a short term impact, but have a lower long term impact than taking a QB.

- While it's nice to beef up the defense, one player will not make a difference. If you put Earl Thomas in Dallas' secondary, you will still be 4-12. If you put a competent backup in, then you're staring at at least .500.

- Historically and statistically, quarterback should be the pick at #4, even with other pressing needs. Teams like Denver are an outlier in terms of Super Bowls being won in spite of poor quarterback play. Plus, it's not a viable or even smart model to follow in modern NFL (draft defense and picking a project quarterback in middle rounds).

- Jerry's comments are worrying. If Jerry has his way, Dallas will "probably take Kevin Hogan in the 3rd Round and then in four years we will be 4-12 and having this same argument all over".
corleoneAg99
AG
Sounds about right. Jerry gonna Jerry this thing into Campo era play if it kills him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bob is my leader.

Jerry's thought process reminds me of the year Jerry drafted backups and special teams contributors. There doesn't ever seem to be a long-term building plan in play. It's just "let's take a glass-is-half-full view of what we have on the roster right now and determine what we need for the next season or two".
BassCowboy33
quote:
Bob is my leader.

This thought process reminds me of the year Jerry drafted backups and special teams contributors. There doesn't ever seem to be a long-term building plan in play. It's just "let's take a glass-is-half-full view of what we have on the roster right now and determine what we need for the next season or two".
They actually joked that Jerry is always keeping his eye out for "the next Stephen McGee to lead this team to glory".
RedlineAg08
Denver, Seattle, and New England are all here to say hello

Geez, thats just the most recent dominant teams.. We like to fool ourselves that offense dominates the NFL nowadays, but it doesnt. They MIGHT put up good regular season numbers and then they get shut out in the playoffs.

id find a new show to listen to.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Denver, Seattle, and New England are all here to sag hello

Geez, thats just the mist recent dominant teams..

I would hardly classify Seattle and New England as teams that won super bowls with with "poor qb play".

Brady hasn't had a rating below 83 in a year that he's started and has thrown for 20+ touchdowns in thirteen of his fifteen seasons.

Wilson has thrown at least 20 TDs every year and hasn't a QB rating below 95.

In contrast Denver QBs threw 19 touchdowns and 23 interception with a QB rating barely over 70.

Not really sure what you're getting at with that comment.

If you want to go back to the last team that won the SB with a bad quarterback, it'd have to be either Tampa Bay or Baltimore. Dilfer had a 12 TD/11 INT/76 Rating that year. A truthfully, that team could have never run an offensive play and still won with that defense. I think eve Brad Johnson threw up a 93 rating in his SB year.

Edits: My punctuation is gawd awful.
RedlineAg08
They built a defense and then they found a QB.
Macarthur
quote:

The thing is, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

It's such a unique opportunity. It's not like we're campaigning for taking a quarterback with every first round pick for the next twenty years. We are asking for the team to take ONE first round QB in twenty years. With diligence, it's easily possible to build a stalwart defense AND take a hot shot quarterback.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

They dont but our defense needs major work to support a young QB. Build the damn thing now and a QB will come in with the ability to perform because he's got great players all around him.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

They dont but our defense needs major work to support a young QB. Build the damn thing now and a QB will come in with the ability to perform because he's got great players all around him.
QB is the hardest position to evaluate and draft, especially once you get out of "Top 10" type guys. It also easily has the highest failure rate of any draft position in football, especially after the Top 10 picks. Essentially, you are lucky if three quarterbacks from each draft ever play average football at the pro level. Its just not one of those positions where a QB just magically walks in. Kicking the can down the road is an enormous gamble.
PooDoo
AG
I still think the best way to keep Romo and his adamantium collar bone healthy is trade down and draft Elliott.

I think if they are looking for a cornerback Hargreaves is the one I'd pick over Ramsey.

Don't know why they would draft Ramsey to play safety unless they plan on trading Byron Jones.

I think the most pressing need is the entire D-Line. Lawrence being inconsistent and hurt & Gregory being skinny and high. They have to have bigger and better gorillas at tackle if they plan on playing with those two under 260 on the ends and still stop the run. The only toilet clogger they have is Golden Cock and he's barely over 300 and not a real force. The more I look at it I wouldn't mind them drafting 4-5 DL this draft.

BassCowboy33
quote:
I still think the best way to keep Romo and his adamantium collar bone healthy is trade down and draft Elliott.

I think if they are looking for a cornerback Hargreaves is the one I'd pick over Ramsey.

Don't know why they would draft Ramsey to play safety unless they plan on trading Byron Jones.

I think the most pressing need is the entire D-Line. Lawrence being inconsistent and hurt & Gregory being skinny & high. They have to have bigger& better gorillas at tackle if they plan on playing with those two under 260 on the ends and still stop the run. The only toilet clogger they have is Golden Cock & he's barely over 300 and not a real force. The more I look at it I wouldn't mind them drafting 4-5 DL this draft.

Well, Ramsey/Jones conundrum is the same as the Lawrence/Bosa conundrum. Young guys who play the same position. I'd be stunned if Dallas would move Lawrence from RDE after all the work he has put in over the last two seasons and the fact that he's their best pass rusher. While they might try and move Bosa to LDE, you're looking at a tough adjustment for a kid who has never played that position (at least initially). DE in a 4-3 isn't just as simple as switching sides on the LOS. It's like asking a sprinter to lead with their off foot. It can be learned, but it's not easy.

I would be stunned if multiple mid round picks weren't spend on the interior D line. Dallas has so many mid round picks this year, they should easily be able to cover several defensive bases.
BassCowboy33
Woops. Double Post.
RedlineAg08
Lawerence played SDE last year. And it isnt that big of a deal. Bosa is 270lbs and more of a SDE anyways, so Lawerence would be fine moving back to the right.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Lawerence played SDE last year. And it isnt that big of a deal. Bosa is 270lbs and more of a SDE anyways, so Lawerence would be fine moving back to the right.
You would hope so.
RedlineAg08
I hope theyre not stupid enough to draft one of these shitty QBs this year. Thats all I hope.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I hope theyre not stupid enough to draft one of these shitty QBs this year. Thats all I hope.
I agree. Drafting Christian Hackenberg, Kevin Hogan, or Cardale Jones would probably cause a DFW nuclear meltdown. Probably rival the Crucifixion. Hackenberg looked beyond terrible at the combine.

And that's really what Sturm was getting at. If you aren't going to take one of Top Tier guys, then don't take some spare in Round 4 that could be used to address Dline and Special Teams.

Edits: Punctuation, man, punctuation.
PooDoo
AG
They moved Bosa to multiple positions on the line a couple of times this year.

And I've seen Lawrence on both sides too but he can't be our best pass rusher if we plan on doing anything in the playoffs.

But really it doesn't matter because we need depth so we can get a nasty rotation going like they did with Lett, Jeffcoat, Haley, Tolbert, Casillas, Maryland, and Hennings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.