****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,014 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kind of funny how some people are saying that 2nd rounders don't contribute as rookies anyway, while at the same time expecting Collins to be a solid contributor in his rookie year.

Agreed on Foles, he is head and shoulders better than any other backup we have.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I'm sorry, but it is just flat out moronic to have Romo QB'ing this team while spending a top 40 pick on a guy

this really frustrates me and should frustrate Romo too. he should be in Jerry and Stephen's office raising hell about all this garbage.

this defense is going to be PUTRID this season. Romo will be asked to put up 35 points a game. you keep asking a guy to put up 35 a game and then you wana beetch and moan when he makes a crucial mistake at the wire while trying to put up 38 instead of 35 maybe. fans and media jump down Romo's throat, he sucks again, he carries the blame for a lost season, and can have another offseason of hearing Cowboys fans scream how much he sucks.

the Jones family is completely clueless. keep hearing Stephen is so much better than daddy when he hasn't proven ****.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Kind of funny how some people are saying that 2nd rounders don't contribute as rookies anyway, while at the same time expecting Collins to be a solid contributor in his rookie year.

Agreed on Foles, he is head and shouldesr better than any other backup we have.

my earlier post was in jest of course but ya, he'd be the league's premier backup if he chose to take such a role.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
quote:
Nick Foles - go get him
can be play DE or LB? if so, i agree!
he's a free agent. we almost traded for him. bring him in. you don't think he's better than moore? we need a viable backup.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nick Foles - go get him
can be play DE or LB? if so, i agree!
he's a free agent. we almost traded for him. bring him in. you don't think he's better than moore? we need a viable backup.

I agree way better than Moore. As noted above I was just kidding.
TyHolden
AG
Sorry - stopped reading
Reginald Cousins
S
That's weird considering a couple years ago they had drafted more probowlerS since 20xx than anyone in the league. Or did I not read that somewhere?
BassCowboy33
quote:
That's weird considering a couple years ago they had drafted more probowlerS since 20xx than anyone in the league. Or did I not read that somewhere?

Oh, no, you're right. They've been unbelievably good in the first round. It's once you get out of that 1st Rd that it quite literally nose dives. Their first rounders have been magnificent. It's one of they reasons they maintain above average quality among their offensive starters, but have nearly no drafted depth at any position.

Basically, those aren't mutually exclusive pieces of information.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
as good as they've drafted in the first, imagine if they had drafted well in the 2nd too.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
quote:

Oh, no, you're right. They've been unbelievably good in the first round. It's once you get out of that 1st Rd that it quite literally nose dives. Their first rounders have been magnificent. It's one of they reasons they maintain above average quality among their offensive starters, but have nearly no drafted depth at any position.

Basically, those aren't mutually exclusive pieces of information.
Ag Natural
AG
That's pretty simplistic logic to say they are blowing it with bad 2-5 round defensive picks and they'd be awesome if they didn't. That completely discounts what they have done pretty well.

It is pretty crazy they seem to be good at identifying first round picks and late round or undrafted free agents. I guess you guys are saying that gambling gene shouldn't be activated in rounds 2 to 5.

The defense won't be putrid. It will be middle of the road with sporadic pass rush. The offense will need to dominate or the defense will tire quickly.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
The defense won't be putrid. It will be middle of the road with sporadic pass rush. The offense will need to dominate or the defense will tire quickly.

This is why I was high on the Zeke pick (and yes, I know it's already been discussed). I'm not sure Bosa or anybody would have been an instant impact the way Zeke should be. No doubt they would have improved/helped our D, but our best shot is doing what we did in 2014 and run the damn ball down people's throats. And when they finally commit to stopping the run we burn them with the passing game. But the key is control the clock and keep our defense fresh.

The real shot to the gut was the 2nd round. As it was said, I appreciate their "draft the best player" approach, but you do have to consider Romo's longevity (or lack their of) at this point. A red-shirt for our 2nd rounder was a horrible idea! There were so many guys that could have helped us this year. Maybe some of them will end up being average players, but they could have helped us.

What good does it do if Jaylon Smith turns into an All Pro linebacker in 3-4 years but Romo is now retired (having not won a Super Bowl) and our team is now in major rebuilding mode!?
BassCowboy33
quote:
That's pretty simplistic logic to say they are blowing it with bad 2-5 round defensive picks and they'd be awesome if they didn't. That completely discounts what they have done pretty well.

It is pretty crazy they seem to be good at identifying first round picks and late round or undrafted free agents. I guess you guys are saying that gambling gene shouldn't be activated in rounds 2 to 5.

Traditionally Rds 3-5 are what are called "depth rounds". Basically, you're drafting guys that fill a backup/niche/ST role that in time could (and in many cases should) develop into productive players. Dat Nguyen, Orlando Scandrick, Dexter Coakley, etc. sometimes they develop into awesome players, sometimes they don't. At the very least, you're looking for a productive enough player that warrants a second contract offer (often a big factor in how this study is measured). Dallas is very, very poor at it and have rail thin depth at a large number of positions. The defense is especially bad. Rd two was thrown into the equation, because Dallas has also been bad at that Rd as well. To make things weird, they are far and away the best at finding undrafted talent.
corleoneAg99
AG
Amazing.
Darth Football
Ag Natural do you work for the Cowboys or something? Totally serious question. I know entities often hire people to post good reviews or defend them on message boards so just wondering. You seem pretty reluctant to ever be truly critical of the organization and instead jump to defend them every instance possible.
corleoneAg99
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
By some estimates the Cowboys might have as much as $15m in cap space in 17, and a staggering $60m in cap space in 18 (even if Romo and his salary are on the books). I understand not wanting to over extend against the cap but there is no real reason they couldn't have added a couple more veterans to that defense. Guys that can not only play but maybe provide some much needed leadership to guys like Gregory and Lawrence.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Ag Natural do you work for the Cowboys or something? Totally serious question. I know entities often hire people to post good reviews or defend them on message boards so just wondering. You seem pretty reluctant to ever be truly critical of the organization and instead jump to defend them every instance possible.

Maybe I should apply.

I've got plenty of criticism of my own. My biggest right now is I'm not sure Garrett has done anything to prove he's a winning NFL coach. I also disagreed with paying Dez.

I just see what I believe to be unfair, inconsistent, or simply overblown criticism and I try to give the counter. I think the current powers that be have established a philosophy and they are sticking to it. I like that over time.

I don't think you should pick a guy who you think is better this year over a guy who you project to have a better career just because Romo is old. Best player is best player. You can criticize the evaluation but that's a different issue.
lunchbox
Sounds like Rolando McClain is MIA...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/rolando-mcclain-not-on-cowboys-team-plane-to-california/
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Sounds like Rolando McClain is MIA...

Good grief that guy is a lost cause.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just cut him already for crissake.

As far as rounds 2-5 go and AgNatural's comment about gambling, I think we've all been clear that some gambles are ok. You just can't stack too many gambles together and especially at the same position group. So his comment is either disingenuous or just flat dumb.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Just cut him already for crissake.

As far as rounds 2-5 go and AgNatural's comment about gambling, I think we've all been clear that some gambles are ok. You just can't stack too many gambles together and especially at the same position group. So his comment is either disingenuous or just flat dumb.

Or just too smart for you to understand. This is what I mean by overblown criticism. Do you really care if some random poster on Texags is okay with the picks?

I'm sure all you guys know the exact probabilities of each "gamble" paying off and would make the perfect choices. Me? I don't know everything and I've yet to see a convincing case for the no risk difference maker that was available when Smith was picked.

And if your argument is "well Romo is old" or "we've had a lot of second round flops" then I counter with you can't make decisions today based on factors outside the vacuum of that pick. Either it's a good gamble or not. The teams current lack of pass rush doesn't make Smith a bad pick.
corleoneAg99
AG
Keeps doubling down.

Kinda admirable, really.
ce1994
AG
Exactly. Jerry Jones is that kind of guy. Drunk as hell at 3am, full drunk in one hand, young prostitute in the other, screaming to anyone that will listen "I am going all in on a hard eight".
Sea Gull
AG
Have we discussed Durant signing with the Boys again? Sounds like it's the end of the road for McClain.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Have we discussed Durant signing with the Boys again? Sounds like it's the end of the road for McClain.

Durant had a solid year last year. I was sad to see him go the first time. The one thing Durant doesn't have is size. Over the course a season or even a game, that can add up. It's partially the reason the defense was so ineffective at the end of games. Dallas doesn't have that big, physical defense.
BassCowboy33
Man, that State of the Union was painful.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

Missed it. Summary?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Missed it. Summary?

Culture is good. Wouldn't do any of the draft picks over. Every team has suspensions.

Oh...and glory hole.

Nothing to see.
PatAg
AG
I mean, this defense as it stands now is not as good as the 2014 defense. So I think we are hoping that a ball control and high scoring offense will "keep them fresh" but if that defense still sucks it wont matter if they are fresh.

Some guys are going to have to make the leap this year for this team to go far in the playoffs
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
I mean, this defense as it stands now is not as good as the 2014 defense. So I think we are hoping that a ball control and high scoring offense will "keep them fresh" but if that defense still sucks it wont matter if they are fresh.

Some guys are going to have to make the leap this year for this team to go far in the playoffs

How do you figure this? Going into that 2014 season some pundits predicted that would be the worst defense in the history of the league.
PatAg
AG
Based on how they actually played, not predictions?
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Based on how they actually played, not predictions?

So they played better than predicted in 2014 but won't this year? I would say on paper they are slightly better.
PooDoo
AG
I think the keys to the defense being better than '14 will be getting production for a healthy Crawford & Claiborne.

Also, what's up with the fat Romo pictures?

I've never been impressed with his physique since his 2nd season as a starter but damn if that picture wasn't photoshopped the guy is got more problems than we are being told.
corleoneAg99
AG
The DE and LB groups are among the worst in football...and that with healthy Sean Lee.

If they improve it will be because they get more TO's as the offense actually forces the other team to turn to page 2 of their playbook.

And, while that's fine if your goal is to make the playoffs, you'll get smoked against the actual good teams without a pass rush.

So yeah...repeat of 2014 is the ceiling.

Yeah?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.