****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,442 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm saying that b\c the owner of the freaking team says it and so does his son. They think he can play another 2-3 solid years for them. They have given no indication that they will use a high draft pick on a QB. I think the best bet is to sign RG3 or JFF when they get cut.
Macarthur
Actually, they both have said that they will consider QB.

Thinking that Romo has a couple more good years and wanting to get his replacement are not mutually exclusive.
Matsui
AG
They said they would consider taking a QB at pick #4 or in the top of the draft? Didn't know that.
Macarthur
They have said something to the effect that all options are open.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They haven't said specifically, just that they are looking to get a young QB that would be a quality backup and could be the starter after Romo. I think that means they'll end up either signing someone like Johnny and/or use the high 2nd or 3rd round pick on one, but as mentioned, they are considering all options including #4. IMO the QB hit ratio once you get out of the first round is super low, so I think they need to strongly consider using the #4 overall. Or maybe trade down from #4 but still use a #1 on QB.

You don't want to blow it just to use it if the QB isn't worth it, but I think both Goff and Lynch need a very close look. Not really interested in Cook.
PooDoo
AG
If Romo has a chance to survive he's going to need an upgrade of running game. I think he still has the wheels to evade a lone rusher but without a running threat to keep the rushers & DC honest his survival is unlikely.

I think we are going to have RG3 or JFF backing up Romo next year.

If Cleveland and San Diego go QB it might be enough incentive for a mid round team like St. Louis to give up some of their extra picks to jump for a QB.

One thing is for sure though... Jerry is going to love and milk every bit of attention he can get for this draft pick.
BassCowboy33
quote:
They haven't said specifically, just that they are looking to get a young QB that would be a quality backup and could be the starter after Romo. I think that means they'll end up either signing someone like Johnny and/or use the high 2nd or 3rd round pick on one, but as mentioned, they are considering all options including #4. IMO the QB hit ratio once you get out of the first round is super low, so I think they need to strongly consider using the #4 overall. Or maybe trade down from #4 but still use a #1 on QB.

You don't want to blow it just to use it if the QB isn't worth it, but I think both Goff and Lynch need a very close look. Not really interested in Cook.

I pray to God that Neither Manziel or Griffin wind up in Dallas. That would add even more to the clown show. They need to do what good teams do and draft a quarterback and not go out and sign a drunk or locker room cancer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
While I kinda wana see Johnny in Dallas, I really think it could cause chemistry issues on that team.

PooDoo
AG
I'd be upset if the Cowboys didn't at least kick the tires. Especially if they can do it for less than they gave up for Matt Cassell.

The best locker room cancers are the one's with low salaries. If they give you a problem, cut them and move on.
ramblin_ag02
AG
quote:
While I kinda wana see Johnny in Dallas, I really think it could cause chemistry issues on that team.
Until the signing of Hardy, the handling of the Randle, the signing of Sam, and the drafting of Gregory I would have been right there with you. For all Garret talks about getting the "right kind of guys", I don't think Jerry cares at all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I'd be upset if the Cowboys didn't at least kick the tires. Especially if they can do it for less than they gave up for Matt Cassell.

The best locker room cancers are the one's with low salaries. If they give you a problem, cut them and move on.

The problem isn't the money, it's the kicking the QB issue/elephant in the room/can down the road another year. Dallas can ill afford to ignore the future any longer.
PooDoo
AG
There isn't an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton in this draft... Are you sure there is a franchise QB in this draft?

Because I'm pretty sure there's an elite RB, DL, LB that will be available later in the 1st.
BassCowboy33
quote:
There isn't an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton in this draft... Are you sure there is a franchise QB in this draft?

Because I'm pretty sure there's an elite RB, DL, LB that will be available later in the 1st.

This brings up a good point. If you can finagle your way down in the draft (as Jerry often does), from the #4 spot, you should able to at least procure an extra 2017 1st rounder out of somebody and probably even a a second or third this season. If you can do that, you definitely have to look at it. Dallas has five picks in the first four rounds already, so adding to that (especially if you can get an extra one or two top 100 this year), would make life immeasurably easier. If that happens, you might be able to snag Wentz at QB if he is available in the late 1st/early 2nd and still be able to nab Henry at 35. You could also go LB/CB at this spot and look for Alex Collins in the early 3rd Round. Behind Wentz, there are no QBs worth picking.
BassCowboy33
quote:

Also, remember that Cam Newton was no "sure thing" out of college. I would even say the majority was very much against Newton developing into anything resembling a top tier quarterback. On the flip side, Rogers fell down the draft boards, because he was a "project" and a system of apread offenses. It just goes to show that it really requires a degree of luck.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:

Also, remember that Cam Newton was no "sure thing" out of college. I would even say the majority was very much against Newton developing into anything resembling a top tier quarterback. On the flip side, Rogers fell down the draft boards, because he was a "project" and a system of apread offenses. It just goes to show that it really requires a degree of luck.
Pretty sure Cam was the clear cut number one overall pick.
ce1994
AG
Cam should have been the clear cut first choice but he was not. There was some talk he was going to be a late first round choice. Someone pulled their head out of the butts and decided "it would be stupid to pass up on this guy".
Matsui
AG
Cleveland probably takes Goff so do the Cowboys take the Memphis QB or trade down or trade up to get Goff? Or just take the best available.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Cleveland probably takes Goff so do the Cowboys take the Memphis QB or trade down or trade up to get Goff? Or just take the best available.

That remains to be seen. The first QB taken will likely be the one that has a better pro day. That's how these things usually play out. If both have a good enough pro day, Dallas will probably stick to #4 and take whichever is available.

However, if Dallas can make SF in the #7 spot sweat enough, Dallas might be able to get the Niners to trade up to #4 for that QB or even a draft-and-trade.

If Dallas can get a 2017-1, 2016-2, 2016-3, or something like that from a team, they might be able to trade down even further.

If Bosa slides to #4, Dallas will probably take him. To be honest, Ramsey and Jack aren't Top 5 players, so Dallas would be content to move down and get them or an equivalent at the 7-11 spots.

Whatever happens, at some point in the first two rounds, Dallas HAS to take a quarterback. It's been put off for way too long for this team. Goff, Lynch, Wentz, and Cook are the only QBs in this draft that really seem to have anything.

Be careful when someone says that this is a "bad quarterback draft " or there "aren't any [insert 2016 draft qb] who is as ready as [qb from a previous year]. That's a terrible argument and should be ignored. Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, and Joe Flacco came from "bad quarterback" classes.

Running back and cornerback can be addressed in rounds 2-4. Dallas has numerous picks in this area and they'll be looking for big, bruising backs in the mold of Derrick Henry or Alex Collins.
Ryan34
AG
Dallas should use their 1st on defense, probably front 7.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Dallas should use their 1st on defense, probably front 7.

It's possible. If that's the case, Dallas would likely look Bosa or trade down 3-5 spots.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I think there is very little chance Dallas uses a 1st round pick on a QB.

I'm telling you guys, 2015 is going to be chalked up to bad luck and injuries. The Jones family will convince themselves they are a player or 2 away from contending again in addition to a good draft and that will lead to either a defender or WR/RB being taken in the first round.
ce1994
AG
This quarterback draft has bust written all over it. The Cowboys needs help in other areas.

PooDoo
AG
quote:
Cam should have been the clear cut first choice but he was not. There was some talk he was going to be a late first round choice. Someone pulled their head out of the butts and decided "it would be stupid to pass up on this guy".
If I remember Cam was the consensus #1 QB but there were some that had teams going defense. The offense he ran at Auburn and his character question marks were the main concerns.

In fact, after googling, of all the mocks I looked at only Mel Kiper & Bleacher Report didn't have Cam going #1. Go figure.

Heck, looking at drafthistory.com you are lucky if there are two starting calibur QB's in a draft. The Franchise QB's only seem to pop up every 2-3 years or so.
ce1994
AG
It was strange considering Newton drug Auburn to the national championship on his back in a very tough SEC.
PooDoo
AG
I did have some questions about him after Gruden interviewed him and he couldn't verbalize a play he ran at Auburn.

BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
If I remember Cam was the consensus #1 QB but there were some that had teams going defense. The offense he ran at Auburn and his character question marks were the main concerns.

In fact, after googling, of all the mocks I looked at only Mel Kiper & Bleacher Report didn't have Cam going #1. Go figure.

Heck, looking at drafthistory.com you are lucky if there are two starting calibur QB's in a draft. The Franchise QB's only seem to pop up every 2-3 years or so.

Him being the consensus #1 was not the issue. He wasn't viewed as that great, but Carolina DESPERATELY needed a quarterback. Much like Alex Smith and Tim Couch, he wasn't viewed as can't miss prospect like Aikman or Luck was viewed as.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
quote:

That 2010 QB draft class....yikes!
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

The problem isn't the money, it's the kicking the QB issue/elephant in the room/can down the road another year. Dallas can ill afford to ignore the future any longer.
Agree

With a healthy Romo, you can't expect to have a top 5 pick again. You have to take advantage of the opprotunity.

And yes, I think I do take the kid from Memphis if Goff is gone. Keep Moore as the #2 and sit the kid for one year.
Ryan34
AG
The Cowboys are not going to draft a QB in the top 5 who won't play for years. That doesn't happen that early in the draft.
Agnzona
Trading up to one to draft a QB would be a huge mistake. If you are going to do that you might as well trade Romo, suck for another two years and stockpile draft picks.
BMX Bandit
Fire Garrett

Hire Coughlin
Macarthur
quote:
The Cowboys are not going to draft a QB in the top 5 who won't play for years. That doesn't happen that early in the draft.
I don't agree w your premise, but it assumes romo is healthy.

What are the odds romo plays 20 of the next 32 games?
DannyDuberstein
AG
They'll be fortunate to get one more solid year from Romo.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I don't agree w your premise, but it assumes romo is healthy.

What are the odds romo plays 20 of the next 32 games?

This makes a flawed assumption that the drafted QB would be the backup. Dallas would most likely make sure that the new kid does not play his rookie year at all and then reevaluate after the year based on his progression. The Aaron Rogers premise.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I think there is very little chance Dallas uses a 1st round pick on a QB.

I'm telling you guys, 2015 is going to be chalked up to bad luck and injuries. The Jones family will convince themselves they are a player or 2 away from contending again in addition to a good draft and that will lead to either a defender or WR/RB being taken in the first round.
Yeah, but just think about how much fun it will be when we think we are going to the Super Bowl listening to training camp hype about how nobody will be able to cover Dez and this new rookie WR!!!!

Like, like... remember when Randy Gregory was the steal of the draft... and then he totally went out and got like like, ZERO sacks this year... totally!!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.