****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

212,027 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't perceive Jack or Smith to be "injury prone". They each had one big knee injury last season. Guys come back from those types of injuries all the time nowadays. See Gurley last year. The only question is whether or not they can play from day one and if that is a factor on making the pick.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I don't perceive Jack or Smith to be "injury prone". They each had one big knee injury last season. Guys come back from those types of injuries all the time nowadays. See Gurley last year. The only question is whether or not they can play from day one and if that is a factor on making the pick.

I disagree with the end of your comment. The career of a Top Pick should be 10-15 years. If you think he's a difference maker, whether or not he plays from day one should not factor into the pick. Gotta think big picture.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

I disagree with the end of your comment. The career of a Top Pick should be 10-15 years. If you think he's a difference maker, whether or not he plays from day one should not factor into the pick. Gotta think big picture.
Yet you see top guys slide every year based on current injuries.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yet you see top guys slide every year based on current injuries.

Because it's an "injury prone" issue. #SeanLee
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
quote:

I wasn't saying it should be a factor, but there's no doubt that it often is.

With the Cowboys, it seems like we've had several rookies suffer an injury once getting here so it's routine to not expect much from them. Take a guy who you think is a good long term player.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wasn't saying it should be a factor, but there's no doubt that it often is.

With the Cowboys, it seems like we've had several rookies suffer an injury once getting here so it's routine to not expect much from them. Take a guy who you think is a good long term player.

Making my argument for me.
Ag Natural
AG
I wasn't making an argument. I'm just trying to guess at what the Cowboys will do.
BassCowboy33
quote:
I wasn't making an argument. I'm just trying to guess at what the Cowboys will do.

What I am getting at is that we are saying the same thing.
BassCowboy33
McShay has Dallas taking Wentz in his latest mock:

Now that I'm deep into Wentz's tape, I feel very comfortable saying he's a legit first-round talent," McShay wrote. "He has the height, sturdy frame, natural accuracy, pocket mobility and on-field leadership you look for in a QB. He was 20-3 as a starter at NDSU and won two FCS national titles. You could certainly make a case for the Cowboys taking the best available D-line prospect, such as Oregon's DeForest Buckner. But if Dallas is sold on Wentz (or Goff, if he's available), this could prove to be a very wise long-term investment.
RedlineAg08
If Wentz was a stock: LIFT!!

Pump up the jam, pump it up
While you feet are stompin'
And the jam is pumpin'
Look at here the crowd is jumpin'
Pump it up a little more
Get the party going on the dance floor
Seek us that's where the party's at
And you'll find out if you're too bad

A pump it up yo pump it
A pump it up yo pump it
Pump up the jam, pump it
Pump it up, yo, pump it
Pump up the jam, pump it
Pump it, pump it, pump it

BassCowboy33
quote:
If Wentz was a stock: LIFT!!

While you feet are stompin'
And the jam is pumpin'
Look at here the crowd is jumpin'
Pump it up a little more
Get the party going on the dance floor
Seek us that's where the party's at
And you'll find out if you're too bad

A pump it up yo pump it
A pump it up yo pump it
Pump up the jam, pump it
Pump it up, yo, pump it
Pump up the jam, pump it
Pump it, pump it, pump it

Macarthur
What's interesting is how Lynch has really taken a back seat.

Wondering if DAllas couldn't trade back, get a premium pick, and get Lynch in the middle of the first?
BassCowboy33
quote:
What's interesting is how Lynch has really taken a back seat.

Wondering if DAllas couldn't trade back, get a premium pick, and get Lynch in the middle of the first?
The three QBs could still shuffle a bit based on their pro day. Even with Lynch's "fall", most early mocks don't have any of the three quarterbacks getting past the Rams at #15. Occasionally you'll see someone who has them go at 20-22. It'll be really interesting to see Cook at his pro day. He seems to be slowly sliding to the bottom of the first round.
corleoneAg99
AG
Cook is AJ McCarron...that a comp ive heard and makes total sense. He shouldn't be on the Cowboys radar.

Lynch is a total upside guy but his bowl tape is bad and he played at Memphis...if he slips like Bridgewater and you can trade up around 10 or less spots to get him at the end of first then it makes sense to me but no more than that.
Macarthur
None of those top 3 will be there late in the first.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Imo Cowboys can get at least 3 much needed immediate impact guys (possibly 4) outa this draft. Im in favor of going that route & if the QB position is still a big problem next year you can try and address it then. I absolutely am not in favor of moving up from the 2nd to mid 1st for any of those QBs. Thats gona cost you premium picks this year and next.

If they come outa the top 3 rounds with 4 immediate impact bpas (4 instead of 3 means they traded down) at DB, LB, DL, & Wr or RB Id be thrilled.
corleoneAg99
AG
I agree about trading back up...Cowboys can't afford to do it IMO but Jerry doesn't value picks the same way I do.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Imo Cowboys can get at least 3 much needed immediate impact guys (possibly 4) outa this draft. Im in favor of going that route & if the QB position is still a big problem next year you can try and address it then. I absolutely am not in favor of moving up from the 2nd to mid 1st for any of those QBs. Thats gona cost you premium picks this year and next.

If they come outa the top 3 rounds with 4 immediate impact bpas (4 instead of 3 means they traded down) at DB, LB, DL, & Wr or RB Id be thrilled.

The big issue here is that Dallas will be hard pressed to be this bad next year or any of the following years. Dallas has a unique chance to use this year to set themselves up for the next 12-15 years at the Most important position in football. If you wait until next year, odds are you're picking in the 18-28 range, where, let's be honest, it's near impossible to find a franchise quarterback, especially a draft with three top flight quarterbacks that excelled at passing at the college level.

You can get safeties, running backs, linemen (especially linemen), and backers throughout the draft, but you're sticking your head in the sand if you think that you can pluck quarterbacks in rounds 2-4 and they magically become playmakers.

Dallas' most immediate need right now might be along the defensive line, but the most immediate need for this franchise to contend tomorrow and into the future is quarterback. This season stands as proof.

With the Jerry talk of "now, now, now" it can be very easy to get sucked into the "super bowl or bust" mentality. Minnesota was sucked into it in the late 80's. You have to be able to see the forest for the trees and beyond your own nose in situations like these.
BassCowboy33
You can look at it as drafting to win the SB in Romo's window (the next 2-3 years) or you can look to draft to extend your window of championship competitiveness for the next 10+ years.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

The big issue here is that Dallas will be hard pressed to be this bad next year or any of the following years. Dallas has a unique chance to use this year to set themselves up for the next 12-15 years at the Most important position in football. If you wait until next year, odds are you're picking in the 18-28 range, where, let's be honest, it's near impossible to find a franchise quarterback, especially a draft with three top flight quarterbacks that excelled at passing at the college level.

You can get safeties, running backs, linemen (especially linemen), and backers throughout the draft, but you're sticking your head in the sand if you think that you can pluck quarterbacks in rounds 2-4 and they magically become playmakers.

Dallas' most immediate need right now might be along the defensive line, but the most immediate need for this franchise to contend tomorrow and into the future is quarterback. This season stands as proof.

With the Jerry talk of "now, now, now" it can be very easy to get sucked into the "super bowl or bust" mentality. Minnesota was sucked into it in the late 80's. You have to be able to see the forest for the trees and beyond your own nose in situations like these.
This only applies if you like the QBs. I don't. I'd be just as happy with Kevin Hogan and I can get him later and get an impact defender in the 1st. I like Conner Cook as a developmental prospect as well.

"Magically become playmakers" Like Brady, Romo, Brees, Hasselbeck back in the day, Matt Shaub for a while.. Just naming QBs in the league now that have been good QBs and were taken after round 1.

And "This season stands as proof" ... dude, name a team other than the Patriots (Brady/Bledsoe, Cassell/Brady) that didn't see their season washed down the toilet when their starting QB ("The most important player on the team") got injured for the season. It doesn't happen. And when it did the backup QB was drafted in some later round.

Not only that but we lost, in my opinion, the most dominant WR in football for pretty much the full year.
RedlineAg08
The Last 10 Years of 1st Round QBs:

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffen
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanches
Josh Freeman
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
Matt Lienart
Jay Cutler
RedlineAg08
Later Round QBs (I admit they're few and far between too):
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo*
AJ McCarron
Brock Osweiler
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins
Tyrod Taylor
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick

(Added Garoppolo in there because he's thought highly of. And I think there are teams that would take a chance on AJ McCarron based on the little bit that we got to see him play.)
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

This only applies if you like the QBs. I don't. I'd be just as happy with Kevin Hogan and I can get him later and get an impact defender in the 1st. I like Conner Cook as a developmental prospect as well.

"Magically become playmakers" Like Brady, Romo, Brees, Hasselbeck back in the day, Matt Shaub for a while.. Just naming QBs in the league now that have been good QBs and were taken after round 1.

And "This season stands as proof" ... dude, name a team other than the Patriots (Brady/Bledsoe, Cassell/Brady) that didn't see their season washed down the toilet when their starting QB ("The most important player on the team") got injured for the season. It doesn't happen. And when it did the backup QB was drafted in some later round.

Not only that but we lost, in my opinion, the most dominant WR in football for pretty much the full year.

The Packers won their division a few years back when Rogers missed 10+ games with an injury.

The Rams won the Super Bowl with their backup QB (Warner) in 1999-2000 after Trent Green went down.

Doug Williams led the Redskins to the Super Bowl after replacing Schroeder in 1989.

The New York Giants won the Super Bowl in 1986-87 with their backup quarterback Jeff Hostetler.

The 1990 Dallas Cowboys made the playoffs in 1991 primarily thanks to the backup efforts of Steve Buerlein.

The list goes on. If you refuse to address your issue at the quarterback position, then you must be willing to accept the consequences.

Look, Jerry very likely thinks like your line of thinking, but if Dallas goes and gets a "Matt Schaub or Hasselbeck" in the draft, we will be singing this same song for the next 15 years. They need someone better than that.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Packers won their division a few years back when Rogers missed 10+ games with an injury.

The Rams won the Super Bowl with their backup QB (Warner) in 1999-2000 after Trent Green went down.

Doug Williams led the Redskins to the Super Bowl after replacing Schroeder in 1989.

The New York Giants won the Super Bowl in 1986-87 with their backup quarterback Jeff Hostetler.

The 1990 Dallas Cowboys made the playoffs in 1991 primarily thanks to the backup efforts of Steve Buerlein.

The list goes on. If you refuse to address your issue at the quarterback position, then you must be willing to accept the consequences.
How many were drafted in the 1st round? Matt Flynn did great as a 6th round pick. Warner was undrafted.. I don't know the rest, and don't feel like looking it up, but I'd bet none were 1st rounders, much less top 5 guys. So you're proving my point that you don't need a top 5 to have a successful backup.
Ryan34
AG
Those examples won because they were good teams, not because they invested heavily in a backup QB.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How many were drafted in the 1st round? Matt Flynn did great as a 6th round pick. Warner was undrafted.. I don't know the rest, and don't feel like looking it up, but I'd bet none were 1st rounders, much less top 5 guys.

You do realize that, statistically speaking, you're making a losing argument, correct?

I can't ever figure out what happened to Flynn. Maybe it was just McCarthy's system he so excelled at, because he just kinda flamed out after that.

The game you play by drafting QBs late or picking them up on the FA is far riskier than drafting high.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Those examples won because they were good teams, not because they invested heavily in a backup QB.

Dallas isn't investing in a backup QB. They're investing in their franchise QB. That's the way you have to look at it. Again, I still think it's 50/50, but the ground will keep shaking underneath them until they address the issue.

BassCowboy33
I imagine that much of this will be resolved after the pro days and combine. If Wentz keeps doing what he's doing and THEN runs a 4.7 at the combine (as Mayock predicts), I highly doubt he's there at #4. For some reason, the Lynch talk has currently ceased. If Dallas marries themselves to Wentz, they'll likely take Ramsey in this scenario. They may also take Bosa if he falls, but, to be honest, he was rather uninspiring when watching his games this year.

With Carr's contract situation, claiborne's possible departure via FA, and Scandrick coming off injury, I'll place my bets on Ramsey. There is enough on the market to address DL via FA, but corner is becoming such a valued position in today's pass happy league that I doubt Dallas would be able to let Ramsey slip by if their QB falls off the board.

It's also being reported that Treadwell might very well slide. His apparent 40 time is expected to come in at 4.65-7, which should eliminate any chance Dallas takes him at #4. This draft is so loaded with receivers that Dallas could easily snag one in rounds 4-5.
RedlineAg08
Out of 24 QBs drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years, 8 maybe 9 are "decent" starters...

I would say there are only 3-4 "franchise" QBs out of those 24. So the cowboys have a 12-16% chance of hitting on a "franchise" qb.

I'm ok with playing the odds later and building a better foundation for my QB to play in after he develops behind Romo.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Out of 24 QBs drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years, 8 maybe 9 are "Decent" Starters...

I would say there are only 3-4 "franchise" QBs out of those 24. So the cowboys have a 12-16% chance of hitting on a "franchise" qb.

I'm ok with playing the odds later and building a better foundation for my QB to play in after he develops behind Romo.

The difference is often talent level. You can develop all you want, but if you have Stephen McGee indecision or noodle arm, it doesn't matter. That's where the height, size, speed, and arm strength come in. It's why I don't understand it when teams take guys like EJ Manuel or Christian Ponder so high. Those guys so obviously lacked basic quarterback skills that teams must have been desperate to try and get them. The guys lie that in this draft look to be Hackenberg and Prescott.

I will agree with you on Kevin Hogan. The guy has all the tools and would be an interesting developmental prospect if Dallas decides to go that route. Unlike many of the other mid round guys, Hogan has won, makes few mistakes, and excels in a pro system. Where Hogan tends to struggle is on accuracy. He also has the very long throwing motion that scouts dread.

It also needs to be pointed out that not all teams develop equally. Dallas has had very poor success with rounds 3-7 since 2009. I think (and this I heard on the ticket) that Dallas has only two or three of its mid round picks left Who aren't on their first contract, which is awful. With Williams on his way out, that stat isn't going to get any better.
PatAg
AG
quote:
Out of 24 QBs drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years, 8 maybe 9 are "decent" starters...

You listed like, 5-6 qb's that werent top of the 1st round picks, and this is your thought process that we should just draft a guy low and hope it works out. That is such a low percentage play.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

You listed like, 5-6 qb's that werent top of the 1st round picks, and this is your thought process that we should just draft a guy low and hope it works out. That is such a low percentage play.

So by my count there are 17 listed that were top 10 picks.. That increases our odds to 23%... Less than 1 in 4..

My thought process is there are about 6 qbs
in this class that are similar in potential.. I dont need to waste a top 5 pick on one. Especially one that played football against essentially talented HIgh School teams.. No thanks. Give me the guy that did it for several years against elite talent and put up similar stats.
RedlineAg08
And Wentz played in a spread, correct? Those guys have translated to the NFL at an even worse rate.

Hogan put his numbers up in a pro style offense.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
And Wentz played in a spread, correct? Those guys have translated to the NFL at an even worse rate.

Hogan put his numbers up in a pro style offense.

Wentz played in a West coast offense.
corleoneAg99
AG
Wentz played in a multi-read spread and has shown the skills necessary to translate well. He's not a one read guy like Lynch.

It all comes down to the eval; if the Cowboys eval Goff and or Wentz as franchise level guys they should pick one of them at 4 if available.

Romo has shown he is basically one standard hit away from being out for the season and his ailments grow by year. And he's 36. The likelihood he plays more than 10 games in a season again is pretty low.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.