****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

207,293 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
The guy who would have been optimal is Jaylon Smith but I guess he'll fall...Myles Jack is also interesting but again is he a take at 4 with the injury?

Still the Carson Wentz hype is already insane and Dallas is coaching him next week.

It's crazy. From what I read from scouts, it seems that had he played at any FBS school, he'd be the unanimous #1. The only concerns seem to be his competition.

This.

I really disagree w those that don't like this QB class. Much of what I have read says goff is a better prospect coming out than Winston and some have said wentz compares favorably to luck, as far as physical tools and athleticism.
RedlineAg08
Thats what I'm saying. How in the world do they have the audacity to say Wentz reminds them of the most highly touted QB to come out of college since maybe ever... Im not saying he wont be better than Luck eventually, but to out that kind of label on a guy that has played absolutely no one is crazy. And they'll continue to say it until its unimaginable that any of the 3 QBs falls out of the top ten. And then they'll all get thrust into playing next year, 2 will be labelled busts, 1 will be promising and we'll do it again next year.
BMX Bandit
Much says Goff better than Winston?
TyHolden
AG
Romo gonna have surgery on shoulder...
TyHolden
AG
We need a servicable backup...
corleoneAg99
AG
Too many teams that need QBs for there to not be at least 2 top 10 QB's; based on film Lynch is the guy who could fall. The Luck comparison even if it is just tools is kinda funny but if Wentz shows anything next weekend and shows out at the combine as expected he could easily leapfrog Goff.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Thats what I'm saying. How in the world do they have the audacity to say Wentz reminds them of the most highly touted QB to come out of college since maybe ever... Im not saying he wont be better than Luck eventually, but to out that kind of label on a guy that has played absolutely no one is crazy. And they'll continue to say it until its unimaginable that any of the 3 QBs falls out of the top ten. And then they'll all get thrust into playing next year, 2 will be labelled busts, 1 will be promising and we'll do it again next year.

No one said he was Luck. They're saying he's the best in this draft. They aren't talking about him like he's the second coming of Jesus.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would trade up for Jesus.
PatAg
AG
Luck has had a great couple years recently..oh wait.
corleoneAg99
AG
He's not his own GM.
RedlineAg08
Point being? You could point to quite a few things outside of his control for that,
But you still dont have a point because none of that takes away how highly he was thought of by EVERYONE for 2 years before he was drafted..
BassCowboy33
quote:
Point being? You could point to quite a few things outside of his control for that,
But you still dont have a point because none of that takes away how highly he was thought of by EVERYONE for 2 years before he was drafted..

I'm 29 years old and the only "can't miss" QB prospects that have gone through the draft in that time (that I can remember) were Andrew Luck, Ryan Leaf, and Peyton Manning. Everyone else had the same type of criticism around them that we are seeing of the three kids this year. It's never an exact science.
Macarthur
quote:

Good grief. They are using Luck as a physical comparison and reminds them somewhat in style of play.

ce1994
AG
Someone is going to throw a quarterback on the scrap heap and the Cowboys will pick them up. With the proper coaching it could work. Remember, Drew Brees was thrown on the scrap heap.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Someone is going to throw a quarterback on the scrap heap and the Cowboys will pick them up. With the proper coaching it could work. Remember, Drew Brees was thrown on the scrap heap.

It should be noted that SD decided they were going to run Brees out and drafted Rivers to sit behind him. In that last season, Brees exploded and had ample suitors for him that next offseason.
DannyDuberstein
AG
After spending a season as a franchised player, Brees was offered a 5 year $50MM deal from SD even though he had a torn labrum (although it was incentive weighted due to his injury). He ended up getting 6 for $60 from NO. Given that the average salary of a top 5 QB at that point in time was $8MM per year (his franchise year salary), that is hardly thrown on the scrap heap.
ce1994
AG
Which is why the Dolphins chose Culpepper over him. Brees wanted to go to Miami.

There is a quarterback out there that the Cowboys can win with post Romo.
COOL LASER FALCON
Brees was also on the scrap heap with very questionable health.
ce1994
AG
Yes, and there are many others like that out there. Plus Brees is short per NFL standards so he had that negative against him.

I am of the opinion that quarterback play is overrated. I do not think there is that much difference in them. It is the players around them, coaching, etc. It is not just the quarterback. This is not punt, pass and kick.
PooDoo
AG
I haven't seen Goff under center but I'm sure he won't have a problem adapting considering how great his footwork is now.

The film I have seen of Wentz is nice but he needs some polishing. Plus, with his playing style and injury history I'm not sure how long he'd last in the NFL.

While watching film on Goff his RS-Jr WR Kenny Lawler stood out. That kid has a chance to be something. His hands and body control are amazing. I was shocked that he's listed at 6'3" almost 200. I thought he was much shorter. He needs to improve his route running but his hands and instincts are top notch.

Ag Natural
AG
Its a fun debate and all. But I give it a 2% chance the Cowboys pick a QB at #4.

I personally think going with Treadwell would be a bad long term strategy as well. So my vote is defensive line or backer IF you love a guy available. At that pick, you need a Miller/Mack/Keuchly level homerun to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, I think we've seen how big of an impact a stud RB can make in this offense. That stud this year is Derek Henry. Henry behind this oline would be absolutely beautiful to watch.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Its a fun debate and all. But I give it a 2% chance the Cowboys pick a QB at #4.

I personally think going with Treadwell would be a bad long term strategy as well. So my vote is defensive line or backer IF you love a guy available. At that pick, you need a Miller/Mack/Keuchly level homerun to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, I think we've seen how big of an impact a stud RB can make in this offense. That stud this year is Derek Henry. Henry behind this oline would be absolutely beautiful to watch.

Henry will be available in the early 2nd barring a jump from now to then.
Macarthur
quote:
Which is why the Dolphins chose Culpepper over him. Brees wanted to go to Miami.

Wow. I think it's really risky to have the 'we'll just find someone' mindset. Leads to the Bledsoe/Testaverde type years.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Wow. I think it's really risky to have the 'we'll just find someone' mindset. Leads to the Bledsoe/Testaverde type years.
The Bledsoe/Testaverde years were some of the better ones in that time. The Hutchinson/Wright/Stoerner/Henson/Leaf time period was pretty awful
Ag Natural
AG
We could always draft another Quincy Carter in the second round.
Agnzona
If the Cowboy's skip a QB this draft and just try and upgrade the backups, who projects in next years draft?
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Bledsoe/Testaverde years were some of the better ones in that time. The Hutchinson/Wright/Stoerner/Henson/Leaf time period was pretty awful

I don't make much of a distinction in any of those.
Macarthur
quote:
If the Cowboy's skip a QB this draft and just try and upgrade the backups, who projects in next years draft?

Maybe D. Watson. C Jones and Barrett from OSU. The kid from Miami might declare - Kaaya, I think. Beyond those top two or three, not much to get excited about. I think this year's group is much stronger.
RedlineAg08
quote:
quote:

Maybe D. Watson. C Jones and Barrett from OSU. The kid from Miami might declare - Kaaya, I think. Beyond those top two or three, not much to get excited about. I think this year's group is much stronger.
Kyle Allen!
jeffdjohnson
If the Cowboys want to take the optimistic view on Romo then they should pick the best defensive players available in the 1st and 2nd round. We should be able to snag some great athletes with those picks. The defense wasn't that bad last year. Just need to add another playmaker on the line and in the secondary.

It is going to be a fascinating draft though. Most people (fairly) don't assume that Romo can stay on the field. I feel like Jerry will gamble with Romo being healthy and choose the best non-QB available. His rationale will be that if the Cowboys get in the playoff/Super Bowl mix next year then a first year QB will not help them. Whereas the FSU corner or the Alabama DT will make an immediate impact.

I can't say that rationale is incorrect but it is short term thinking. Still, if you tell me right now that Romo starts 16 games and the Cowboys add 2 top defensive rookies to their team then I'll put money down that they win the NFC East. They have way more talent on this squad than a 4 win team should.
Agnzona
That's kind of what I was thinking with my question. Worst case if Romo gets hurt early, you got a high pick probably the next few years.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't make much of a distinction in any of those.

The main difference was that Bledsoe and Testaverde threw touchdowns. The other guys didn't.
98Ag99Grad
AG
You like Henry over Elliot? Most mocks I've seen have Henry available in the 2nd. I'd love him in the second, not so much at 4.
PatAg
AG
quote:
Not saying he isn't a great qb. Just saying qb's generally don't do well as rookies, and it's a little interesting that he has possibly cooled off.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
You like Henry over Elliot? Most mocks I've seen have Henry available in the 2nd. I'd love him in the second, not so much at 4.

Yeah, I'd personally prefer Elliot as well now that you mention him. I am intrigued by Henry though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.