Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,761 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
Street Fighter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't remotely flamed the guy in this thread minus the vette pic I guess (remembered his fake supercharger hood and thought it was funny), just simple comments.
Brick Tamland
quote:
Still no defense of the bevel, just personal attacks against the OP.

Bevel sucks almost as bad as your arguments.

I had a defense
mAgnoliAg
AG
So this thread is what I've been missing not being on TA the past 10+ years :/
Lateralus Ag
AG
^

Yes
Old Main
AG
Up to this post there have been a total of 319 posts by 127 different members. Of the 127 members 84 are supportive of getting rid of the Bevel (Bevel Slayers). This comes out to 66% in favor of the Classic Block aTm logo and against the Bevel. Every time a survey or poll is done it is roughly 2 to 1 against the Bevel. The Bevel Huggers always say that the sample size is never big enough, but I would rather these turn out 2 to 1 against the Bevel than the other way around. I guess we will find out how the students really feel when we get the results of the De-Bevelization Representation Bill ballot during the Fall 2013 Student Body Elections.

The numbers above are really no surprise. What is really interesting is the number of posts the Bevel Huggers (I’m grouping the Bevel Slayer Haters with the Bevel Huggers because some of these people admit that they like the non-Bevel T better, but they are still with the Bevel Huggers and against the Bevel Slayers – doesn’t make sense to me, but it is what it is). These Bevel Huggers harshly criticize me (and seem to be very concerned) about how I spend my time, yet if you look at how often the Bevel Huggers post on this thread it is very interesting – especially for a “non-issue”. You would expect those that cared about the issue (Bevel Slayers) to have more posts (minimum of five) than those that basically state the letter is stupid and that this is a non-issue (Bevel Huggers). Both groups have seven members listed below. Why would you spend so much of your valuable time posting about a non-issue? Is this really a good use of your time?

Members with 5 posts or more on this thread up to now:

21 Lateralus Ag (Bevel Slayer)
20 rocky the dog (Bevel Slayer)
19 Elephant Rider (Bevel Hugger)
18 JJxvi (Bevel Hugger)
16 Brick Tamland (Bevel Hugger)
16 Old Main (Bevel Slayer)
09 Ragnar Danneskjold (Bevel Hugger)
09 Scotch (Bevel Slayer)
09 7th Gen Texan (Bevel Slayer)
06 BMX Bandit (Bevel Hugger)
06 jackalope05 (Bevel Hugger)
06 pv (Bevel Slayer)
05 West Point Aggie (Bevel Hugger)
05 Pinche Gringo (Bevel Slayer)

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/17/2013 1:15a).]
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
quote:
we dont have to defend it because no one has articulated what's wrong with it. The fact that yall dont like it isnt a reason to change it. Unless you can furnish some tangible evidence that the bevel is a detriment, dont ask anyone to defend it.

I will refute every argument made against the bevel: Some people like it.

As I have stated three times: I won't buy beveled merchandise as others have also stated. That's tangible evidence.

Geez Rags, you're better than that.

And you're better than that, Lat
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
I won't buy beveled merchandise

Some people will. Actually, more people will, apparently. The university is not losing money, so what is the detriment, again?

Once again, youre asking the university to change million dollar contracts for your personal opinion. This doesnt show what's wrong with the bevel.

Can anyone demonstrate any harm done to the university by the bevel, or can we act like adults and just say this is an argument of personal opinion?

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/16/2013 11:12p).]
Ian Neff
AG
Adults!!
Here, bro?
pv
I'm with Old Main
Ragnar Danneskjold
I said before the season we should start Johnny Football, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what is right for Texas A&M.
OlsenField
AG
It is a well-reasoned letter that points out flaws in the current bevel. Nice work.

What I don't understand is all the arguments saying its a pointless cause and a waste of time. Since when was it a bad thing to try to improve something you are passionate about? Old Main saw a potential flaw and worked to fix it. Instead of spending hours playing video games or watching tv, he spent hours researching the issue and gathering available evidence.

Of course the evidence is going to be limited. It's hard to say if our sales would be greater, lesser, or equal to our current sales if we had a proper bevel or different logo. If there is marketing evidence that the beveled logo tests better than a true bevel or different logo, I'd like to see it. What we have are imperfect polls and anecdotal evidence that show there is potentially room for improvement. At the very least, it shows the issue should be researched further.
Ragnar Danneskjold
Its not so much well reasoned... more megalomaniacal and absurd ramblings about a line inside of the letter T being off-center.

I am done with this, though. Old main, I wish you luck in your glorious crusade to rid the world of the bevel. While I prefer the block T, I believe the problems with the bevel exist exclusively inside the minds of people who over scrutinize non issues.

I also believe that if the logo were changed tomorrow, texags would be up in arms over the next non issue du jour and you would all be slapping "Keep our facemasks white!" stickers on the back of your cars.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/16/2013 11:37p).]
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
What I don't understand is all the arguments saying its a pointless cause and a waste of time. Since when was it a bad thing to try to improve something you are passionate about? Old Main saw a potential flaw and worked to fix it. Instead of spending hours playing video games or watching tv, he spent hours researching the issue and gathering available evidence.

It's the manner in which he is conducting his research that is flawed. Analysis of the key criteria that are used to determine whether or not the bevel is actually a problem is completely absent from his letter. He uses some inconsequential facts to support himself, and everyone has latched on to it. But at the core, his argument is reduced to "I don't like it, and me and a hundred others won't buy aggie merchandise with the bevel on it."

This is obviously very poor analysis. Again, he doesn't do any sort of cost-benefit analysis, nor does he provide useful facts that can at least be used toward that end. That's why his argument is stupid and pointless.
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
It's the manner in which he is conducting his research that is flawed. Analysis of the key criteria that are used to determine whether or not the bevel is actually a problem is completely absent from his letter. He uses some inconsequential facts to support himself, and everyone has latched on to it. But at the core, his argument is reduced to "I don't like it, and me and a hundred others won't buy aggie merchandise with the bevel on it."
The Devil
Old Main,

Just exactly how serious are you about changing the logo?

How about you send me your contact information?
OlsenField
AG
He showed that our bevel isn't an actual bevel. You work with the data and examples that you have. At the very least, it is an issue with a small, passionate group of fans. Fans that are likely to buy multiple pieces of merchandise and deck out their homes with A&M gear.

If the marketing department has done research that the current bevel is the way to go, what is the harm in releasing that to us? If they haven't done research on what our main logo should be, then that is a problem.
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
He showed that our bevel isn't an actual bevel.

then call it something else, what the hell does that matter?
Panda
AG
So there was no bevel to begin with?
JJxvi
AG
Kill the interpretive bevel-like highlight feature!!!
pinche gringo
AG
quote:
I am done with this, though.

You promise? If so, thank God. I usually enjoy your posts, but you really showed your ass on this thread.

Old Main pointed out exactly what is wrong with the flawed bevel. He and many, many more of us who agree with him expect better from our university. What the hell is wrong with that?

I do not buy anything with the beveled T. My entire family of Aggies refuses to buy anything with the beveled T. I know that's not "big $$$", but it's $$$ the university is not getting from any of us. I have more than a few friends that feel the same way, too. These people are not on Texags, so I guess they don't exist, huh?

Don't tell me that it's too expensive or burdensome to change it back, either. Was it too burdensome or expensive to change it in the first place?

If Elsa Murano could force The Texas Agricultural Extension Service to change their name to Agrilife Extension, and with it change all the signs on all the offices, vehicles, road signs, equipment, etc, etc across the state - just so she would be remembered for something - surely the university could make a justifiable change to correct our logo!
Ragnar Danneskjold
If by showed my ass, you mean showed you that youre all worked up about an issue this is entirely made up.

In 10 pages no one has shown a single problem resulting from the bevel's existence. The whole basis for this discussion has been "I dont like it, all I did was ask people to admit that.

Have a good evening
Old Main
AG
quote:
Old Main,

Just exactly how serious are you about changing the logo?

How about you send me your contact information?

The Devil,

Well, serious enough to write a letter to our leadership and take all of this abuse in The Zoo, but I'm not willing to sell my soul to THE DEVIL if that is what you are suggesting! I was not able to PM you, but my email address is in the very first post.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/17/2013 12:05a).]

[This message has been edited by Old main (edited 4/17/2013 8:22a).]
sjagwhoop
AG
For Old Main
pinche gringo
AG
quote:
If by showed my ass, you mean showed you that youre all worked up about an issue this is entirely made up.

How many times have you posted on this thread?
How many times have I posted on this thread?

How many personal attacks have you launched?
How many personal attacks have I launched?

Seems to me that you're the one who's all worked up.

quote:
In 10 pages no one has shown a single problem resulting from the bevel's existence.

You don't consider it a problem when former students are so disgusted with the university's logo that they refuse to buy any merchandise with said logo?

Really? Man, you've got to be trollin!

I know it's late in Texas, so have a good evening.
Brick Tamland
quote:
You don't consider it a problem when former students are so disgusted with the university's logo that they refuse to buy any merchandise with said logo?

I don't think it's a problem when there's a ton more people willing to buy it regardless of what is on it. If y'all truly loved A&M, you would still buy the merchandise regardless of whether it was block or bevel. Some petty dislike of the bevel should not keep you from buying a game day polo or an Aggie football shirt, especially when it is small and nobody notices or cares. Or don't. There will be tens of thousands of people who will. The people being petty and holding out aren't being missed in sales.
nukeaggie2000
AG
no bevel
andrewch783
pinche gringo
AG
quote:
I don't think it's a problem when there's a ton more people willing to buy it regardless of what is on it. If y'all truly loved A&M, you would still buy the merchandise regardless of whether it was block or bevel. Some petty dislike of the bevel should not keep you from buying a game day polo or an Aggie football shirt, especially when it is small and nobody notices or cares. Or don't. There will be tens of thousands of people who will. The people being petty and holding out aren't being missed in sales.

I knew this garbage was coming.

Who are you to question my love for my school? Do you think you love A&M any more than me because you are willing to buy whatever crappy-looking shirt they are selling at the time and I'm not? "Just be a "good Ag" and buy whatever garbage we are selling, because it says Texas A&M. You DO love Texas A&M, right!"
Who are you to preach to me about what I should/shouldn't buy and why? Some people don't care. I get that. There has ALWAYS been and ALWAYS will be a large proportion of our fanbase that will indeed buy God-awful crap just because it says "Texas A&M". There are businesses built on it. However I DO care, and I will spend my $ however I damn well please, so don't lay that self-rightous crap on me.
I will not support the continued use of an embarassing, geometrically incorrect, and ugly logo out of principle. I expect better from my university and I find the beveled logo unacceptable. Maybe you are willing to buy the crap "because it's A&M", but that's not an excuse for me. I have clothing with the logo that I like and I can enjoy the games just as much without dressing up and pretending I'm on the coaching staff, so you can take your beveled "gameday polo" and shove it up your ass.

BMX Bandit
I get that people like the plain look better. If the school asked me to vote, I'd say use the plain as primary but have the bevel on some stuff. Example, on plain maroon polo, the bevel looks better. On striped polo, it looks weird.

What I find completely absurd is that people claim the bevel is embarrassing the school or hurting us. One poster even claimed its embarrassing to the SEC! That's not rational thinking. It's looniness.

West Point Aggie
AG
Since I've been labeled and profiled!!
ElephantRider
AG
I feel like I'm being trolled. Are people really so petty and childish that they're boycotting merchandise?
Scotch
AG
I buy merchandise with the traditional logo, but it does take work. Often a shirt will be great in some way, like saying Fightin' Texas Aggies. etc., but then will have a bevel. Then there might be a traditional logo shirt that says "Texas A&M Aggies". At a local drugstore you can find the traditional logo on a black cap, but if you want a maroon cap, you have to settle for the bevel. I could go on and on...
wolfpack759
AG
Bevel
jackalope05
AG
Dudes, I beg of you, stop this madness!
JJxvi
AG
quote:
I feel like I'm being trolled. Are people really so petty and childish that they're boycotting merchandise?

They're only doing it because they love our University and don't want us to look bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.