Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,457 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
Personal Best
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Elephant Rider,

You really don't see an issue with the bevels on this hat? I guess we see what we want to see. Vendors have a difficult time attempting to replicate the 4 trapezoidal-shaped bevels on small embroidered items. The acute angles are almost impossible to execute on these small logos.

Boo ****ing hoo. The hat looks great. We see what we want to see indeed. It's 2013, if a vendor doesn't have the means or tech to replicate a very simple design, they're going out of business anyway.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I guess we see what we want to see.

You just summed up your entire anti-bevel campaign
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Vendors have a difficult time attempting to replicate the 4 trapezoidal-shaped bevels on small embroidered items. The acute angles are almost impossible to execute on these small logos.
I can't believe that you're actually trying to use this as part of your argument. Compare our logo to 90% of colleges out there and it should be a vendors wet dream to produce our merch. Look at the complexity of an LSU tiger for example. I have thus concluded that you are running an elaborate troll campaign.
L8HIT
AG
Bevel sucks.
Old Main
AG
Brick Tamland,

I meant to respond to your post earlier. At least you made the effort to explain why you want to keep the Bevel, which is more than what 95% of the Bevel Huggers on here have done. Of course it is easier to levy insults and personal attacks than to defend the Bevel.

As far as (C) below the NCAA has a new rule that prohibits beveled numbers starting this Fall. Uniform numbers have to be one solid color.

quote:
I swear some people would not even post on TexAgs if it weren't for the bevel argument. It's not going anywhere any time soon, whether we like it or not. End of story. It does not matter if it is "correct" or unpopular.

Here's why I want to keep the bevel:
A) It is everywhere already
B) It gives the A and the M a little more chance to stand out. When I see the block logo, all I can focus on is the T. We aren't "Texas", we are "A&M".
C) It would look good with our beveled numbers
D) Other schools around the SEC are looking up to A&M as a marketing leader. The bevel is part of our marketing.
E) It is recognizable
F) It does not matter what our logo looks like, as long as it has aTm on it, people will buy the hell out of it.
G) Look at our logo that ESPN uses. Maroon square, white aTm, grey bevel. Looks outstanding! It's a nice accent when it does not take up the whole T like our maroon logo that has been at midfield the last few years. (Not to be misunderstood as me not liking the bevel. I just personally like the white logo with grey bevel.)
H) Old Main hates the bevel (just messing, big guy)

Whether or not you agree with any of these, I do not care. This is my argument to keep the bevel, since someone said that nobody has argued to keep it. Just my opinions. Old Main has his, I have mine. He presented his, now I am presenting mine. No personal attacks here. Carry on.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/20/2013 12:39p).]
Scotch
AG
The camera was kind to the bevel hat, in person it looks wickety wack.
The crystal gift looks like it is missing bling.
The bedazzled shirt looks even busier than most bedazzled shirts.
Those were all at the MSC, by the way.
Thankfully, there was at least a small selection of the solid block T, though I forgot about some of the good after seeing a "Fightin' Texas A&M Aggies" shirt.
Personal Best
AG
If anyone is buying any of that bedazzled ****, the bevel is the least of their worries.
12th Ag
AG
The bevel is stupid and ugly. There will always be someone out there that will defend a bad idea just to be stubborn, but Mother Nature herself cries out that the bevel design looks horrible compared to the simple, clean, original logo.
Bonfire96
AG
BTHO bevels! Especially, when they are done incorrectly!
PabloSerna
AG
Have sat on the sidelines for some time on this, but as it is off season and there is not a whole lot going on, I thought I would add my reasons for supporting, YES, supporting the current logo, bevel and all.

1. The attempt to "pop" the T is effective. So much so, that it has draw both supporters and detractors, as the saying goes, "love me or hate me, just don't forget me." One for the bevel.

2. Graphic Art is still an artistic realm many of us more engineer minded should allow to happen. Hence the "artistic license" on many things that don't make sense from a pure scientific review. Want an example? Try impressionism. Hell, look at dadaism. (Better google that one folks) - it is a commentary on art and it is down right weird. Still, I like some of it and can appreciate that artist see things we can't. I'm glad they do, because, without them, this would be a boring world, where everything looked beveled correctly as you have so graphically proven with your analysis. I would say that it WAS your analysis that made me think you had it wrong. Let the art stand on its own merits, I can't think of a greater tribute than all of this talk.

Art is not subject to the laws of physics. This logo is art, like it or not. It has transcended into more than a logo, by the very discussion we are having about it. How many of you have been to an art show and seen something you think your dog could crap better? I know I have, but that crap made me laugh and it occupied my mind for a bit and that is the value of art. If you think all art must be approved in order to be accepted, you are going to be disappointed. Art by its nature is free to all interpretation and some art is never fully considered.

Clearly we have considered the "bevel" and I am telling you now, you sir, have ensured that it will remain.

-GIG'EM!!

exp
AG
I hate the bevel. Bought an Aggie hat at Sports Authority today and *every* Aggie article had the bevel.

Which hat did I choose? The one with the least obvious bevel (gray on white).
Personal Best
AG
quote:
I hate the bevel. Bought an Aggie hat at Sports Authority today and *every* Aggie article had the bevel.

Which hat did I choose? The one with the least obvious bevel (gray on white).

Still bought it.. Showed them
Kentucky Mustangs
#1 reason not to bevel

Seriously, folks outside confuse A&M with tech because they are both beveled and both are in the red color group.
BMX Bandit
Seriously, that's not true.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
Seriously, folks outside confuse A&M with tech because they are both beveled and both are in the red color group.

lolno
BMX Bandit
I predict KYMustang will link the Article saying people get A&M and Tech confused and conclude he has proven his point.

Like saying people get kale and parsley confused because of the spellings and price.
Kentucky Mustangs
BMX Bandit has no sarcasm meter or it is broken
West Point Aggie
Brick Tamland
I love the bevel. I bought a maroon mini helmet and a white mini helmet and took off the block T and put a bevel T on it. No joke.
NavyAg92
AG
Bevel it.
exp
AG
ElephantRider -

If my wife starts smoking, I won't divorce her. Still wish shed stop!
ElephantRider
AG
You know what they say about girls who smoke
Personal Best
AG
quote:
You know what they say about girls who smoke

Poke poke poke.

And rule one on your loose wife
Old Main
AG
quote:
This logo is art

PabloSerna,

If the Bevel is art we should consider commissioning a better artist.

Brick Tamland
THAT bevel looks like crap, I'll give you that. The thinner bevel makes it look much much better. Thinner bevel is still better than no bevel, in my opinion, but the big bevel that takes up the whole T is just bad.
Brick Tamland
However, we have changed our logo to include a thinner bevel and made the A and the M bigger, as well as centered them with the T.
Lateralus Ag
AG
We're still on this, huh?
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
We're still on this, huh?

Legalize it...wait, wrong thread
Lateralus Ag
AG
Lolz...

suburban cowboy
WaffleHouseAg
AG
quote:
I love the bevel. I bought a maroon mini helmet and a white mini helmet and took off the block T and put a bevel T on it. No joke.

quality trolling brick.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
I guess we see what we want to see.

pv
No BEVEL
Trident 88
AG
Pro-bevel, but fix it. Someone on here posted some good examples a while back.
pv
If they made a decent, proper looking bevel it'd be better but still not good

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.