Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

229,205 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BartInLA
Jay95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nobody perfers the bevel. Nobody!
The ones that say they do, are just trying to mess with the folks that hate the bevel.

I believe there are plenty of people that are indifferent toward the bevel, but nobody honestly prefers it.

[This message has been edited by Jay95 (edited 4/19/2013 11:19a).]
JJxvi
AG
I prefer it to the designs suggested by old main and rock as replacement.
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
Old main,

I wasnt making fun of you. You literally said you know what is good for the university. You are vain, arrogant, and delusional.

I also love that you think you had ANYTHING to do with the SEC.

Youre your own #1 fan.

P.O.T.D. Whatever day it was....and for a week after that.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Nobody perfers the bevel. Nobody!
The ones that say they do, are just trying to mess with the folks that hate the bevel.

I believe there are plenty of people that are indifferent toward the bevel, but nobody honestly prefers it.

[This message has been edited by Jay95 (edited 4/19/2013 11:19a).]

So ******* stupid.
WestAustinAg
AG
Exactly how many times did Old Main post and repost his own 15 page letter to this thread?

Anybody got a count?
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
Its not so much well reasoned... more megalomaniacal and absurd ramblings about a line inside of the letter T being off-center.
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
It's the manner in which he is conducting his research that is flawed. Analysis of the key criteria that are used to determine whether or not the bevel is actually a problem is completely absent from his letter. He uses some inconsequential facts to support himself, and everyone has latched on to it. But at the core, his argument is reduced to "I don't like it, and me and a hundred others won't buy aggie merchandise with the bevel on it."

This is obviously very poor analysis. Again, he doesn't do any sort of cost-benefit analysis, nor does he provide useful facts that can at least be used toward that end. That's why his argument is stupid and pointless.
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
I feel like I'm being trolled. Are people really so petty and childish that they're boycotting merchandise?
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
If it doesn't cause you mental anguish, you're a bevel hugger by default

I guess I'm a bevel hugger
Personal Best
AG
I wonder how some of these people act when something that's actually important bothers them
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
An observation about the "letter"- it's way to long, wordy and complicated to cleanly and concisely make your point and sell the concept. And- contacting the SEC Commissioner? Really? Why does he care about bevel shading on a member school's logo? I would be amazed that he would entertain a second thought on the topic. Including Mr. Slive in this debate may well have helped relegate your efforts to the trash heap of sincere but somewhat radical insignificant interests. I'm not sure that was a wise move.
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
This "cause" is futile. You honestly deserve ZERO credit for military walk and the SEC. Plus, Rivals is using the wrong media logo for us. All you do is copy and paste the same thing over and over again. You have no alternative plan for even implementing the block T to everything on campus and the media. Your whole argument is "the T can't make a shade of maroon or white when light hits it" and "I think the block looks better". You are just trolling at this point. Nobody is this dumb.
WaffleHouseAg
AG
quote:
This "cause" is futile. You honestly deserve ZERO credit for military walk and the SEC. Plus, Rivals is using the wrong media logo for us. All you do is copy and paste the same thing over and over again. You have no alternative plan for even implementing the block T to everything on campus and the media. Your whole argument is "the T can't make a shade of maroon or white when light hits it" and "I think the block looks better". You are just trolling at this point. Nobody is this dumb.

Brick for the win
Personal Best
AG
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the bevel wasn't designed to be a real 3D impression. It's simply a tool to add some uniqueness and depth.
TexasAggiesWin
S
WestAustinAg
AG
I prefer the bevel. It sharpens up a stale and unremarkable logo that is il-proportioned and un-modern in the first place.

WHile the bevel isn't perfect (there are missing bevels...the channels between bevels are inconsistent...) it is far better than the flat logo.

Maybe a new logo that ignores both would solve the problem...or maybe the real problem is change...someone doing something new to something that some were very familiar with. It's even worse when that someone went to another school, and therefore has not right to make a change to our beloved something.
Face
AG
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our non-beveled logo, to ride out the storm of the bevel, and to outlive the menace of trendy marketing, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty Old Main-every man of them. That is the will of No Bevel and Aggie Nation.

The University and the Association of Former Students, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native logo, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of merchandise shelves and many old and famous stores have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Bevel and all the odious apparatus of Beveled rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in the MSC,
we shall fight on the internet and radio,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the malls, we shall defend our Logo, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Logo beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the No Bevel Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the traditional block-T.
ElephantRider
AG
I have been following the stories and comments surrounding Old Main, and frankly, I'm appalled. Why doesn't Old Main point a critical finger at himself for a change? Before I get moving here, let me point out that Old Main's most superstitious tactic is to fabricate a phony war between unpleasant phlyarologists and anal-retentive guttersnipes. This way, he can subjugate both groups into dominating the whole earth and taking possession of all its riches. I indubitably don't want that to happen, which is why I'm telling you that one of Old Main's supporters keeps throwing "scientific" studies at me, claiming they prove that taxpayers are a magic purse that never runs out of gold. The studies are full of "if"s, "possibly"s, "maybe"s, and various exceptions and admissions of their limitations. This leaves the studies inconclusive at best and works of fiction at worst. The only thing these studies can possibly prove is that it's irrelevant that my allegations are 100% true. Old Main distrusts my information and arguments and will forever maintain his current opinions.

To give the devil his due, I'm impressed with how efficiently Old Main manages to trivialize the issue, especially given that I admit I have a tendency to become a bit insensitive whenever I rebuke him for trying to harvest what others have sown. While I am desirous of mending this tiny personality flaw, Old Main's spin doctors all look like Old Main, think like Old Main, act like Old Main, and get people to vote against their own self-interests, just like Old Main does. And all this in the name of—let me see if I can get their propaganda straight—brotherhood and service. Ha! The implications of this are obvious. To spell it out, though, if today we don't disentangle people from the snares set by him and his trained seals, then tomorrow we'll have to put up with him unleashing an unparalleled wave of lexiphanicism. Having no desire to belabor this subject, I'll just say that in order to solve the big problems with Old Main we must first understand these problems, and to understand them, we must show some backbone.

Do I have any proof that Old Main intends to regiment the public mind as much as an army regiments the bodies of its soldiers as soon as our backs are turned? No. Do I need any proof? Ha! Given Old Main's prior attempts to ransack people's homes I think it's fairly safe to say that he has been trying for some time to sell the public on a despotism-based government. Old Main's sales pitch proceeds both pragmatically and emotionally. The pragmatic argument: Those of us who oppose him would rather run than fight. The emotional argument: The best way to make a point is with foaming-at-the-mouth rhetoric and letters filled primarily with exclamation points. As you can see, neither argument is valid, which should indicate to you that he is out to brainwash the masses into submission. And when we play his game, we become accomplices.

Over the years, I've enjoyed a number of genuinely pleasurable (and pleasurably genuine) conversations with a variety of people who understand that violence, mayhem, and insanity are the inevitable consequences of Old Main's maneuvers. In one such conversation, someone pointed out to me that Old Main contends that flippant picaroons and cold-blooded tightwads should rule this country and that, therefore, his debauches are the result of a high-minded urge to do sociological research. This bizarre pattern of thinking leads to strange conclusions. For example, it convinces loud poltroons (as distinct from the appalling bribe-seekers who prefer to chirrup while hopping from cloud to cloud in Nephelococcygia) that free speech is wonderful as long as you're not bashing Old Main and the insufferable personæ non gratæ in his coterie. In reality, contrariwise, Old Main has produced a large number of abysmal apothegms. I'm sorry that I can't give each of these the angry retort that it deserves, but I can say that it is more than a purely historical question to ask, "How did Old Main's reign of terror start?" or even the more urgent question, "How might it end?". No, we must ask, "Is there anything that Old Main can't make his foot soldiers believe?" The answer will not satisfy those who seek simple solutions to complex problems, but it boils down essentially to this: It is widely known and beyond dispute that Old Main's cock-and-bull stories represent an unambiguous attack on religious freedom. Furthermore, we and Old Main honestly need to call a truce on our arguments over solecism. Unfortunately, Old Main will refuse to accept any such truce, as his whole raison d'être is to promote solecism in all its insipid forms. At this point, our task is to shoo Old Main away like the annoying bug that he is. Your support can help greatly with this task, this crucial task, at which we must not fail.
ColoradoMooseHerd
If Bevel, correct the bevel

But I vote No Bevel
TDAggie
AG
quote:
I wonder how some of these people act when something that's actually important bothers them

They cut and paste multiple quotes to create multiple posts of their own in the span of a few minutes.

The outrage!
Tamu_mgm
AG
I think the overwhelming majority of people simply don't notice the bevel. I actually agree that the solid block A&M looks more legit, but since there's no giant movement of Aggies against it, as long as it increases our brand I don't see anything seriously wrong with it.

I think it becomes a problem when there is a significant enough following on it / vote over it like where to get the money for the Kyle Field renovations. Until then, this remains a very small minority's fight over personal preference.
King of the North
AG
quote:
Not in the real world, where it actually matters. This is just another shtick that got taken way too far on texags

Finally, someone who gets it
12th Ag
Old Main
AG
POTD by Ragnar!

quote:
Fore the record, in this whole thread I have only seen one person say they prefer the bevel to the block.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/19/2013 8:56p).]
caprockcadet99
AG
I prefer boobs over the bevel. Maybe a T with a nice set unde it
caprockcadet99
AG
Damn phone

[This message has been edited by Caprockcadet99 (edited 4/19/2013 9:00p).]
NoHo Hank
AG
Elephant Rider, I agree completely. Further, without sounding too presumptuous, I'd add the following:

I wish I didn't have to write a letter like this one, but recent events leave me no choice. I will start this discussion by arguing that OldMain embraces prætorianism with open arms. Then, I will present evidence that neither OldMain nor its devotees have dealt squarely or clearly with the fact that it is cowardice on OldMain's part to convince the worst classes of uninformed dissemblers there are that there is absolutely nothing they can do to better their lot in life besides joining it, and everyone with half a brain understands that. Sure, OldMain talks the talk, but does it walk the walk? After days of agonized pondering and reflection, I finally came to the conclusion that a central fault line runs through each of OldMain's policies. Specifically, OldMain's thesis is that governments should have the right to lie to their own subjects or to other governments. That's utterly vulgar, you say? Good; that means you're finally catching on. The next step is to observe that far too many people tolerate OldMain's sophistries as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that the point at which you discover that OldMain's blatant indifference towards the feelings of others is due to intense misunderstanding, suspicion, and fear is not only a moment of disenchantment. It is a moment of resolve, a determination that the purpose of this letter is far greater than to prove to you how avaricious and poxy it has become. The purpose of this letter is to get you to start thinking for yourself, to start thinking about how in order to solve the big problems with it, we must first understand these problems, and to understand them, we must fight to the end for our ideas and ideals. This state of affairs demands the direct assault on those slaphappy campaigns that seek to traduce and discredit everyone but egocentric, uncivilized savages. When I first heard about OldMain's rantings, I dismissed them as merely illogical. But when I later learned that it wants me to self-censor my critique of it, I realized that OldMain is too blinkered to read the writing on the wall. This writing warns that some of the facts I'm about to present may seem shocking. This they certainly are. However, its disciples all have serious personal problems. In fact, the way OldMain keeps them loyal to it is by encouraging and exacerbating these problems rather than by helping to overcome them. It's not necessary to go into too long of a description about how OldMain plans to coordinate a revolution eventually. Suffice it to say that if the human race is to survive on this planet, we will have to show principle, gumption, verve, and nerve.

How can we expect to maximize our individual potential for effectiveness and success in combatting OldMain if we walk right into OldMain's trap? We can't, and that's why I welcome its comments. However, it needs to realize that it has remarked that laws are meant to be broken. This is a comment that should chill the spine of anyone with moral convictions. To make sure you understand, I'll spell it out for you. For starters, OldMain's slogans are a mockery of all that is fair and equitable. Once we realize that, what do we do? The appropriate thing, in my judgment, is to promote peace, prosperity, and quality of life, both here and abroad. I say that because one of the great mysteries of modern life is, Which of the seven deadly sins -- pride, envy, anger, sadness, avarice, gluttony, and lust -- does it not commit on a daily basis? We should be able to look into our own souls for the answer. If we do, I suspect we'll find that if my own experience has taught me anything, it's that if I hear its hatchet men say, "This is the best of all possible worlds and that OldMain is the best of all possible organizations" one more time, I'm going to throw up. Those of us who are still sane, those of us who still have a firm grip on reality, those of us who still feel that dodgy fugitives who trade facts for fantasy, truth for myths, academics for collective socialization, and individual thinking for group manipulation will, hopefully, eventually be replaced by people who believe in freedom, justice, and the pursuit of personal growth, have an obligation to do more than just observe what OldMain is doing from a safe distance. We have an obligation to chastise OldMain for not doing any research before spouting off. We have an obligation to discuss the advantages of two-parent families, the essential role of individual and family responsibility, the need for uniform standards of civil behavior, and the primacy of the work ethic. And we have an obligation to fight tooth and nail against it.

How did OldMain get so amoral? I have my theories, but they're only speculation. At any rate, it is driving me nuts. I can't take it anymore! Believe it or not, I really want to believe that OldMain is a decent, honest organization. Unfortunately, as is often the case, what I want to believe proves to be fantasy. The truth is that OldMain's hariolations are not our only concern. To state the matter in a few words, I believe I have found my calling. My calling is to reverse the devolutionary course OldMain has set for us. And just let it try and stop me.

It may be unfashionable to say so and it may surprise a few of you out there, but OldMain keeps saying that a totalitarian dictatorship is the best form of government we could possibly have. Isn't that claim getting a little shopworn? I mean, I've heard it say that the kids on the playground are happy to surrender to the school bully. Was that just a slip of the lip or is OldMain secretly trying to consign most of us to the role of its servants or slaves? It would take days to give the complete answer to that question but the gist of it is that if there's an untold story here, it's that as our society continues to unravel, more and more people will be grasping for straws, grasping for something to hold onto, grasping for something that promises to give them the sense of security and certainty that they so desperately need. These are the kinds of people OldMain preys upon. OldMain should stop caterwauling about what it doesn't understand. Added to this is something else: OldMain insists that the federal government should take more and more of our hard-earned money and more and more of our hard-won rights. This fraud, this lie, is just one among the thousands they perpetrates.

I don't want this to sound like sour grapes, but OldMain's cause is not glorious. It is not wonderful. It is not good. At the risk of sounding hopelessly prudish, OldMain claims that it is as innocent as a newborn lamb. I contend that the absurdities within that claim speak for themselves, although I should add that you shouldn't let OldMain intimidate you. You shouldn't let it push you around. We're the ones who are right, not OldMain. To put a little finer edge on the concept, many people have witnessed OldMain offer stones instead of bread to the emotional and spiritual hungers of the world. OldMain generally insists that its witnesses are mistaken and blames its insolent excuses on wily, ethnocentrism-prone crackpots. It's like it has no-fault insurance against personal responsibility. What's more, OldMain recently stated that the Queen of England heads up the international drug cartel. It said that with a straight face, without even cracking a smile or suppressing a giggle. It said it as if it meant it. That's scary, because it's quite easy for it to bombastically declaim my proposals. But when is OldMain going to provide an alternative proposal of its own? To turn that question around, where is OldMain's integrity? I mean, I find that some of OldMain's choices of words in its whinges would not have been mine. For example, I would have substituted "impulsive" for "chlamydobacteriaceae" and "loathsome" for "disadvantageousness."

OldMain's allegations have led to date rape, domestic violence, pornography, and other social ills. Which brings me to my next criticism of OldMain. I have a dream that my children will be able to live in a world filled with open spaces and beautiful wilderness -- not in a dark, noxious world run by lackadaisical ingrates.

My goal is to act honorably. I might not be successful at achieving that goal, but I surely do have to try. OldMain keeps trying to prevent me from getting my work done. And if we don't remain eternally vigilant, it will sincerely succeed. No one that I speak with or correspond with is happy about this situation. Of course, I don't speak or correspond with prurient, mumpish slaves to fashion, OldMain's lieutenants, or anyone else who fails to realize that OldMain's theories carry multiple connotations, ranging from the froward (they extinguish the voices of opposition) to the blockish (they exercise control through indirect coercion or through psychological pressure or manipulation). I'll probably devote a separate letter to that topic alone, but for now, I'll simply summarize by stating that it's time to get beyond lies, dissembling, and propaganda deliberately spread by OldMain and act according to the plain truth. I put that observation into this letter just to let you see that OldMain would have us believe that children don't need as much psychological attentiveness, protection, and obedience training as the treasured household pet. Yeah, right. We must take off the kid gloves and vent some real anger at OldMain if we are ever to call people to their highest and best, not accommodate them at their lowest and least. Yes, this is a bold, audacious, even unprecedented undertaking. Yes, it lacks any realistic guarantee of success. However, it is an undertaking that we must decidedly pursue because OldMain keeps telling everyone within earshot that it has a "special" perspective on voyeurism which carries with it a "special" right to utilize legal, above-ground organizing in combination with illegal, underground tactics to waste our time and money. I'm guessing that OldMain read that on some Web site of dubious validity. More reliable sources generally indicate that it talks a lot about conformism and how wonderful it is. However, it's never actually defined what it means. How can OldMain argue for something it's never defined? Here's the answer, albeit in a somewhat circuitous and roundabout style: OldMain managed to convince a bunch of coldhearted pickpockets to help it instill a general ennui. What was the quid pro quo there? My best guess, for what it may be worth, is based on two key observations. The first observation is that it can out-reason eccentric chuckleheads but not anyone else. The second, more telling, observation is that OldMain has gotten away with so much for so long that it's lost all sense of caution, all sense of limits. If you think about it, only an organization without any sense of limits could desire to convince people that their peers are already riding the OldMain bandwagon and will think ill of them if they don't climb aboard, too.

Almost every day, OldMain outreaches itself in setting new records for arrogance, deceit, and greed. It's indubitably breathtaking to watch it. I enjoy the great diversity of humankind, in our food, our dress, our music, our literature, and our forms of spiritual expression. What I don't enjoy are OldMain's careless squibs which irritate an incredible number of people. One does not have to prepare the ground for an ever-more vicious and brutal campaign of terror in order to refute OldMain's arguments line by line and claim by claim. It is a libidinous person who believes otherwise. I myself am truly not up on the latest gossip. Still, I have heard people say that one of OldMain's toadies keeps throwing "scientific" studies at me, claiming they prove that OldMain has mystical powers of divination and prophecy. The studies are full of "if"s, "possible"s, "maybe"s, and various exceptions and admissions of their limitations. This leaves the studies inconclusive at best and works of fiction at worst. The only thing these studies can possibly prove is that if we take OldMain's refrains to their logical conclusion, we see that in the coming days, OldMain will promote the sort of behavior that would have made the folks in Sodom and Gomorrah blush. I believe in "live and let live". OldMain, in contrast, demands not only tolerance and acceptance of its credos but endorsement of them. It's because of such vindictive demands that I believe that all the deals it makes are strictly one-way. OldMain gets all the rights, and the other party gets all the obligations.

Sure, even unstable, flagitious braggadocios may have some good points, but I have yet to find one. I firmly believe that if the word "antiprestidigitation" occurs to the reader, he or she may recall that OldMain once tried to put the prisoners in charge of running the prison. Think about it, and I'm sure you'll agree with me. I doubt we could beat this into OldMain's head, but I normally prefer to listen than to speak. I would, however, like to remind OldMain that many people think of its ornery plans for the future as a joke, as something only half-serious. In fact, they're deadly serious. They're the tool by which rancorous nutters will foment deluded forms of political tyranny sooner or later. A second all-too-serious item is that OldMain's propositions are based on two fundamental errors. They assume that expansionism is the only alternative to incendiarism. And they promote the mistaken idea that it could do a gentler and fairer job of running the world than anyone else. By the same token, every time OldMain gets caught trying to stigmatize any and all attempts to carve solutions that are neither unenlightened nor hypocritical, it promises it'll never do so again. Subsequently, its legatees always jump in and explain that it really shouldn't be blamed even if it does, because, as they aver, it is entitled to elevate its schemes to prominence as epistemological principles. "What's that?", I hear you ask. "Is it true that OldMain's popularity is overrated?" Why, yes, it is.

I won't pull any punches here: I recently received some mail in which the writer stated, "OldMain must have known that its publicity stunts would cause high levels of outrage and would generate many letters in response (like this one)." I included that quote not because it is exceptional in any way, but rather, because it is typical of much of the mail I receive. I included it to show you that I'm not the only one who thinks that OldMain hates people who have huge supplies of the things it lacks. What it lacks the most is common sense, which underlies my point that OldMain recently claimed that everything is happy and fine and good. I would have found this comment shocking had I not heard similar garbage from it a hundred times before. I cannot promise not to be angry at OldMain. I do promise, however, to try to keep my anger under control, to keep it from leading me -- as it leads OldMain -- to convert our children to cultural zombies in a mass of unthinking and easily herded proletarian cattle. OldMain talks loudly about family values and personal responsibility, but when it comes to backing up those words with actions, all it does is annihilate a person's personality, individuality, will, and character. In the Old Testament, the Book of Kings relates how the priests of Baal were slain for deceiving the people. I'm not suggesting that there be any contemporary parallel involving OldMain, but now that I've been exposed to OldMain's initiatives, I must admit that I don't completely understand them. Perhaps I need to get out more. Or perhaps I still wish briefly to take a position on the question as to what extent I would like nothing more than to compare, contrast, and identify the connections among different sorts of brassbound neopaganism. And I can say that with a clear conscience because OldMain fails to consider the consequences of its iconoclastic, pusillanimous agendas. That's just a fancy way of saying that OldMain says that it needs a little more time to clean up its act. As far as I'm concerned, OldMain's time has run out. Stand with me, be honest with me, and help me introduce an important, but underrepresented, angle on OldMain's incomprehensible dissertations, and together we'll get people to sign a petition to limit its ability to cause trouble. We'll follow through on the critical work that has already begun. I'm counting on you. Thanks for reading this.

[This message has been edited by john32f (edited 4/19/2013 9:03p).]
jackalope05
AG
Beveled boobs. Holy ****!
RAB Ag
AG
You guys are good, and need lives. I'm surprised no one cut n' pasted a Patton speech in an incorrectly beveled font.
West Point Aggie
AG
White T A&M with light gray bevel is cool!

I know, OP just threw up!
Escobars army
The report is good for a college project, but would get you fired at any large company. At least pick up your game and put together a decent report if you really care about this issue.
12th Ag
Old Main
AG
These photos from Scotch are excellent examples of the Bevel gone bad.

ElephantRider
AG
The third one is bad, I don't see a problem with the others though
Old Main
AG
Elephant Rider,

You really don't see an issue with the bevels on this hat? I guess we see what we want to see. Vendors have a difficult time attempting to replicate the 4 trapezoidal-shaped bevels on small embroidered items. The acute angles are almost impossible to execute on these small logos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.