Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,498 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
12th Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kill the bevel
BMX Bandit
Great to see it will be all over New Kyle.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
You know your bevel sucks when you have to have a random block background behind it just to make it suck slightly less.

JDRAggie2011
AG
I thought the exact same thing dday
Personal Best
AG
and you know the conference must REALLY suck with that big random blue background behind all the conference logos just to make the logos suck less
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
and you know the conference must REALLY suck with that big random blue background behind all the conference logos just to make the logos suck less

which means we have 2 backgrounds behind ours
JDRAggie2011
AG
When you start out by calling people "bevel huggers".. It kinda kills your argument. If I was a high level A&M official I would throw it away as soon as I read something like that. Try not being so derogatory. I freakin hate the bevel!!!!
dave94
AG
I think in this case it's a matter of wanting maroon on the logo, but if we went with just the maroon aTm (even unbeveled) it wouldn't read well with the blue background. Even Tennessee's orange looks crappy.

Maybe we need a maroon aTm with a with outline?

[This message has been edited by dave94 (edited 5/2/2013 1:41p).]
Old Main
AG
I edited out Bevel Huggers from the original post. Honestly I didn't think that the name seemed all that derogatory given the environment (The Zoo). When you look at the personal attacks and insults I (and the anti-bevelers) have endured the term "Bevel Huggers" seems rather tame, but I'll take the high road here. I didn't come up with the Bevel Hugger nickname by the way. Obviously the term was never in the letter either.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 5/2/2013 2:59p).]
GrapevineAg
AG
I can't get a maroon aTm outlined in white (yet), but I think these look better than what they're using now...

[This message has been edited by GrapevineAg (edited 5/2/2013 2:50p).]
Old Main
AG
Maybe a thin maroon outline around the white Block aTm and a thin white outline around the maroon Block aTm. Either one could be used depending on the background color/design.

Old Main
AG
Double post

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 5/2/2013 4:36p).]
ElephantRider
AG
Can we bevel the A and the M too?
GrapevineAg
AG
Am I mistaken, or did I see that the A and the M were beveled on the baseball team's batting helmets? I could swear I saw that on a game on one of the ESPN channels a couple of weeks ago.
jackalope05
AG
I was thinking of how we could bevel the state
ElephantRider
AG
I want to bevel my life
CDub06
AG
All bevel e'rything

Personal Best
AG
Seriously, I will bevel that
12th Ag
rocky the dog
AG
Personal Best
AG
^^ That looks way worse. God awful
ElephantRider
AG
^
I agree. That outlined one is terrible
TexasAggiesWin
S
Here is a quick rundown of how the leadership at Texas A&M reacted to submission of letter discussed in this thread...

mhayden
Scotch
AG
If the outlined logo had better resolution on the outline and was just a little bit smaller to fit in with the other logos, it would be awesome.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 5/3/2013 12:48p).]
Turf_Ag2009
AG
I always thought of this debate as stupid and pointless. After reading this letter I am now in full support of killing the current bevel but I'm on the side of bevel it right or don't bevel it at all. Well written letter and in full support. I hope administration takes on changing this prior to putting it all over the new Kyle field.
dave94
AG
quote:
I always thought of this debate as stupid and pointless. After reading this letter I am now in full support of killing the current bevel but I'm on the side of bevel it right or don't bevel it at all. Well written letter and in full support. I hope administration takes on changing this prior to putting it all over the new Kyle field.

I'm sure they're getting right on it.
VanZandt92
I hope to keep the bevel just to wear the whiners down.
rocky the dog
AG
Here ya go, Scotch.

ElephantRider
AG
Still looks ****ing terrible. Seriously, worse than the bevel
txagbq2009
AG
awww crap... my thumb and dirty thumbnail made the letter. Thats what I get for taking a picture after working outside all day
Hill Country Ag
AG
Bevel-driven embarrassment rising significantly with unprecedented great Aggie press. Bevel looks very confusing and needs to die.

Gig 'Em
commando2004
AG
quote:

Me too. It didn't bother me before, but now that I've seen a precise geometric explanation of the flaws, I want it fixed.
Old Main
AG
This online graphic design community can't figure out the Bevel.

http://www.quora.com/Graphic-Design/Can-the-Texas-A-M-Aggies-logo-be-resolved

Graphic Design: Can the Texas A&M Aggies logo be resolved?

I can't quite see how the 3D bevel is supposed to work. Is there a version with a third color that explains it?

1 Answer

Anonymous
It's a standard chisel bevel, with lighting coming from the top right side of the logo, hence where the white highlights are placed. What is likely throwing you off, is that the top of the T has a highlight, while the serifs at the bottom of the T do not have a highlight on top to match - this is both to set contrast and because if it were 3D, very likely the upper area of the letter would shadow down on the serifs, so their top is not highlighted.

Comment • 14:15 on Thu Aug 16 2012

Personal Best
AG
Oh no.. These are the people you warned us would be talking about our logo. You prophesied so perfectly.

One reply, a year ago. The humanity!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.