Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,504 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I question Old Main's commitment to the cause. He can get us into the SEC but can't change a simple logo? Something isn't right here.
BeveledAg
quote:
I question Old Main's commitment to the cause. He can get us into the SEC but can't change a simple logo? Something isn't right here.

He got military walk renovated faster than he's convinced the admin to ditch the bevel
WestAustinAg
AG
Let's just face it. Old Main wasn't committed. If he had just spent a little time on it and maybe had the slightest commitment he could have seen this grand project through.
gigumaggie
AG
I'd love nothing more than to see the bevel die.....
JaySugar
Bevel Sucks!
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:

You think he could get us into the NFC East?
mcag83
AG
Bevel
whoop91
AG
I can go either way.

However, if we have the bevel, at least make it accurate. In the OP there are beveled ATM logos that look very sharp. Unlike our current logo.
Tex100
AG
I like the bevel
Old Main
AG
BEVELS seems to be the Herpes of Texas A&M. No one wants it, irritating, unsightly, and seems to be a mistake that won't EVER go away. Oh, and from the looks of it, we got it from Tech...

http://nobevel.com

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 1:43a).]
ag92tx
I think the reason they have not changed it is because the majority of faculty, admin, former students, and donors really don't care about the bevel. If people cared they would have already changed it.
JJxvi
AG
That and it actually looks more professional and official than the alternative
gigumaggie
AG
The bevel is the one and only thing I hate about my beloved A&M.
Old Main
AG
quote:

JJxvi,

How is bad geometry more professional? Geometry is math - it is either correct or incorrect. Our bevel is incorrect.

Texas A&M has programs in engineering, construction science, architecture, visualization, and many others based in part on geometry. You would think that getting the geometry correct on the official logo would be important.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 9:42a).]
BeveledAg
quote:
quote:

How is bad geometry more professional? Geometry is math - it is either correct or incorrect. Our bevel is incorrect.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 9:38a).]

Let it go old man
MarathonAg03
AG
It's amusing that Old Main thinks that logo creation is scientific, rather than artistic design.
TeLeFaWx impeached.
AG
I like the bevel on our jersey numbers.
Old Main
AG
quote:
It's amusing that Old Main thinks that logo creation is scientific, rather than artistic design.

MarathonAg03,

If this is really art we need a new artist!

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 10:10a).]
gigumaggie
AG
artistic or scientific really doesn't matter to me.....I view it as a tradition thing. One of the things that makes A&M so special is our traditions and how much respect we have for them. To me the block aTm was more of a tradition thing. Kinda like how the Red Sox or the Yankees have never really changed their logo. It really started bothering me when I realized we were the only school in the SEC that has a beveled logo....also when I found out what other schools have beveled logos....we don't want to be associated with them........the block is simple and strong....nuff said
Old Main
AG
I agree. The Bevel is more of a virus than a tradition.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 10:21a).]
JJxvi
AG
Sorry. But a logo is not "geometry." It is art.

I stand by what I said that the logo with the bevel looks more professional as a mark than the blank aTm you espouse. I don't dispute your assertion that a clean logo with no bevel can look good, but IMO there is years and years of history that shows not only does the plan mark lend itself to *******ization (ie anyone can use a typeface font to create a facsimile of the logo that looks similar to the official one and slap it on merchandise, print, or a website) whereas since the presence of the bevel and A&M's push to standardize merchandise, I can now usually easily tell through the bevel what is official and what "looks fake."

If you want to get rid of the bevel, I think you have to redesign the logo completely so that the shape or base design is more distinctive (like the Tennessee T you seem to love) or find a new type of accent design that works better than the bevel.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 7/15/2014 10:50a).]
JJxvi
AG
You also seem to try and make "correct bevels" by adding extra shading colors to your design. Those would wash out and blend or not show up on many applications. You don't know what you're doing.
SRBS
The bevel looks like dung and everybody knows it
Scotch
AG
Will the back of the new scoreboard have the world's largest bevel?
Old Main
AG
quote:
Sorry. But a logo is not "geometry." It is art.

The Texas Tech logo is geometrically correct and it achieves what they were going for. I honestly would not call the A&M beveled logo art. If you are trying to go for a 3-D effect using bevels the geometry has to be right or it doesn't work.

quote:
I stand by what I said that the logo with the bevel looks more professional as a mark than the blank aTm you espouse. I don't dispute your assertion that a clean logo with no bevel can look good, but IMO there is years and years of history that shows not only does the plan mark lend itself to *******ization (ie anyone can use a typeface font to create a facsimile of the logo that looks similar to the official one and slap it on merchandise, print, or a website) whereas since the presence of the bevel and A&M's push to standardize merchandise, I can now usually easily tell through the bevel what is official and what "looks fake."

If someone wants to fake something with the beveled logo they can get that artwork (from the internet) just as easily as the Block aTm logo. Both the Block aTm and the Bevel are protected trademarks. Texas A&M protects aTm logos just like they protect the 12th Man trademark. They go after merchandise that isn't licensed. The bevel has nothing to do with it.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/15/2014 11:14a).]
Ag4coal
quote:
artistic or scientific really doesn't matter to me.....I view it as a tradition thing. One of the things that makes A&M so special is our traditions and how much respect we have for them. To me the block aTm was more of a tradition thing. Kinda like how the Red Sox or the Yankees have never really changed their logo. It really started bothering me when I realized we were the only school in the SEC that has a beveled logo....also when I found out what other schools have beveled logos....we don't want to be associated with them........the block is simple and strong....nuff said

There are many other traditions that are disappearing from campus that you should be more worried about. Try saying howdy to a current student next time you're on campus. Or check to see how those students in the bleachers sit down during commercial breaks in the second half. See how those traditions are being continued.
BMX Bandit
Anything this trivial that creates this much angst should be kept forever.
bigblackag12
AG
I could feel the slow death of Howdy during my time on campus starting in 08. Each year it was said less and less
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:

The only tradition Texas A&M has, when it comes to the logo, is change.
BeveledAg
quote:
I could feel the slow death of Howdy during my time on campus starting in 08. Each year it was said less and less

I always said howdy to the hotties
InnerCityAg
Bevel
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

I would say howdy then snatch a quick glance as soon as they walked by, especially on leggings day
BeveledAg
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would say howdy then snatch a quick glance as soon as they walked by, especially on leggings day

I miss leggings so much. No one wears those to work
King of the North
AG
quote:
You think he could get us into the NFC East?

Sex Panther
AG
quote:

I blame MCA. I'd always say howdy, he'd say hi.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.