Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

229,227 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BartInLA
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never heard it mentioned by any person from any school other than on this website.
JJxvi
AG
Prove the correctness!
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
Once again, no one can prove the "bevel" is correct.

I never said that it was, I don't know if it's correct or not. But even if it is incorrect it's such a minor detail, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to some people. It seems Old Main has dedicated his life to fighting a small, insignificant line
ElephantRider
AG
Hating the bevel is the worst shtick on Texags
8T2
quote:
I've never heard it mentioned by any person from any school other than on this website.

That includes Aggies in the real world.
hawk1689
AG
The graphics pointing out the flawed bevel have made me change from an indifferent stance to a slightly annoyed but still unwilling to complain about the bevel stance. If the letter was addressed to me, I wouldn't have made it to the graphics portion because I would have crumpled up and thrown it away at "I was right about two things".
MD1993
AG
I used to be indifferent. After reading that I get it. Bravo.

Old main has proven to be a voice of logical reason and thought on A&M issue.
Aston04
AG
Our logo is really bad. When it comes down to it, our football team is a "brand.". Do you think major companies laugh it off when they have a bad logo? Of course not. Nor should us. I don't get those who defend via indifference.
KeithDB
AG
Without the bevel we won't do great things like win the Heisman or beat the #1 team in the land.

BMX Bandit
If a company doesn't think it's logo is bad & has no evidence the logo had a detrimental effect, the company doesn't change logos based on Internet message board busy bodies.
pinche gringo
AG
BMX, did you even read OM's letter? I'm sure it was probably "tl" for you, so "dr".
It was nothing but "evidence" of the beveled logo's flaws.
BMX Bandit
Yes I read it.

I like the plain logo better. Guess who doesn't? The "company"

The "flaws" are irrelevant to them because it has zero effect on the school. If the logo were a giant dong, I'm sure they'd agree it was a problem.

But in the real world, the logo not being symmetrically correct just doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 4/14/2013 10:38a).]
JJxvi
AG
I must have missed all market research, merchandise sales analysis, brand recognition surveys that Old Main based his opinion on among all the blueprint plans that show a bevel is supposed to look on a logo with no other interpretation possible.

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 4/14/2013 10:39a).]
ElephantRider
AG
He got us to the SEC and got military walk restored, he doesn't need all that jazz
ElephantRider
AG
BMX, you mean the university isn't concerned with appeasing the OCD of a few curmudgeons on Texags?
jackalope05
AG
Bevel busters
Old Main
AG
quote:
He got us to the SEC and got military walk restored, he doesn't need all that jazz

quote:
It seems Old Main has dedicated his life to fighting a small, insignificant line

ElephantRider,

With some of you Bevel Huggers I'm not sure if the problem is reading comprehension or being truthful - maybe its both. I guess you Bevel Huggers think that if you repeat a lie enough times it will become true. Here are two quotes from my letter:
quote:
As a former student and a fan I wasn’t sure what I could do to start a grass roots campaign to support the idea of Texas A&M joining the SEC. After giving it some thought, starting in November of 2010, I made 6,000 SECede bumper stickers that I sent free of charge to Aggies everywhere who were in favor of the SEC. (bottom of Page 1)

quote:
Again, I can’t take any credit for the restoration of Military Walk, but at least we had the right idea back in 1995. (middle of Page 2)

As for your second quote, you don't have to dedicate your life to a cause to type a 15-page letter in word. If I was publishing and distributing a 15-page letter back in the 1700s (when you had to place each and every movable type letter or character by hand and print sheets one at a time) you might have a point, but as you probably know with computers this can be done quite efficiently.

Hawk1689,

quote:
The graphics pointing out the flawed bevel have made me change from an indifferent stance to a slightly annoyed but still unwilling to complain about the bevel stance. If the letter was addressed to me, I wouldn't have made it to the graphics portion because I would have crumpled up and thrown it away at "I was right about two things".

It was important to detail my background and involvement with Texas A&M in the past. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out that I was on the right side of one major issue and a major construction project. If anything it shows that I care about A&M and have put some thought into my actions. Again, I never took credit for either successful outcome.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/14/2013 3:39p).]
7thGenTexan
AG
Jason Cook is great at marketing himself.
ElephantRider
AG
Cook is great at marketing A&M
AggieFan1994
Bevel
BTKAG97
BTKAG97
AG
quote:
& has no evidence the logo had a detrimental effect

I will not buy nor display any merchandise with the bevel on it.

Proof of detrimental effect.
oldcrow91
AG
You probably have some great points but, meh.

pv
Agree with OP

It seems to me that in a quest for consistency, quality was sacrificed.

Before attempting to make sure everyone used the same T-AM logo at A&M, which is worthwhile goal, was the question ever asked, "Is our current logo something that should be the face of Texas A&M?", I'd bet not.

Also agree.
BDLStroke
Your versions suck worst. Not to mention you're to old to be considered in touch with the student body.
8T2
quote:

Yep, and it only took 6,000 bumper stickers.
Redeemed
A good argument could be made that Phil Knight has been the most successful person in sports marketing in the history of athletics. His Oregon Ducks used to have a cute logo that had the duck peaking out of a big O with borders. With Nike’s influence, they changed it to a clean and simple O (using a unique font). The Nike logo is also clean and simple.
Old Main
AG
Oregon's logo (and every college logo on the Rivals website) looks better than our beveled logo.

Why is this logo still up on Rivals? Is this really our best work? Certainly even the most hardcore Bevel Hugger would have a hard time defending this version.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2013/all/all

Brewmaster
AG
Beveled aTm is a weak design and as Old Main has stated is graphically incorrect and inconsistently presented in A&M gear.

The block solid white ATM is strong and recognizable even at a distance - like on our helmets.

To me the solid logo is very SEC - the beveled version is a big 12 or worse conference usa attempt - weak.

I'm also glad the NCAA is saying "no more" to beveled uniform numbers.

Sometimes you just can't improve on an old design
pv
Will Cook or someone at A&M respond?
Oscar Diggs
AG
I propose a simple test of economics. Starting this Fall, have all on campus stores put out displays of beveled and non beveled merchandise. Same style of merchandise, two different logos. It could be as simple as two racks of shirts with bevel vs traditional.
Let's see at the end of the day which sells the most.
Linz02Ag
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
Will Cook or someone at A&M respond?

No. This is a made up non-issue created by people who have to complain like they have to breath. People who actually get paid for their marketing opinions have to deal with actual problems and know the reality and logistics of changing a logo. They dont sit at home conjuring imaginary problems to solve.

If they fixed the bevel, old main would be on here talking about cheerleaders, stripes on the jersey, its too windy in college station, today's youth listens to their music too loud, A&M shouldnt have smoke in their into, rap music at practice. the positive and negative effects of sumlin's visor on recruiting, the color of the chin strap, and a whole bevy of other made-up non-issues.

But he wanted to go to the SEC (just like everyone else), so I think he knows what is good for Texas A&M.

What's funny is that one day the bevel will change, and Old Main will be on here patting himself on the back and claiming to be responsible for the natural progression and changes, using this as in example in his next letter where he attempts to tackle another made up "problem" that isnt a big deal.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/14/2013 6:21p).]
JJxvi
AG
I don't know how all the people wearing official A&M stuff at football games live with themselves for supporting this logo.
Scotch
AG
quote:
What's funny is that one day the bevel will change
It will change? If it is the most awesome logo ever, why would it ever change?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.