Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

229,235 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BartInLA
Scotch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems to me that in a quest for consistency, quality was sacrificed.

Before attempting to make sure everyone used the same T-AM logo at A&M, which is worthwhile goal, was the question ever asked, "Is our current logo something that should be the face of Texas A&M?", I'd bet not.

Jason assumed the beveled logo that had been in use less than five years before he arrived at A&M was the logo that should be plastered everywhere. I am confident research was not performed or else it would have been easily discovered that the beveled logo was relatively new and at best no one felt attached to it and in reality many hated it.

Once Jason realized the logo he was force feeding everyone was not liked, he dismissed the criticism and made it his crusade to defend the bevel and eliminate the traditional block T wherever possible.

He started spreading the bevel in places most former students would not see it, then moved on to incrementally expanding its use, the ultimate goal being the logo of our football helmet.

Please, before we place this logo on New Kyle, lets stop the insanity.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 4/13/2013 12:37p).]
Slother93
AG
quote:
I'm not sure how to make the photos larger. When I increase the size of the photos in photobucket they still display the same size on this forum. I converted pdf files into jpgs if that has anything to do with it.

Old Main, sorry I didn't mean for you to do any work on resizing photos or anything. It's just that on my iPhone I have to open the links and then I can't zoom in far enough to clearly read the text. It's an iPhone problem where they "bounce" the graphic and prevent zoom ins unless you hold your fingers in position.

I have subsequently read through the materials on my PC. I love the attention to detail. This is a tour-de-force on why the bevel is so bad. POTY!
7thGenTexan
AG
I fully support OP.

Jason Cook is stubborn as a mule about that hideous damn thing.
ConLaw
AG
quote:
I fully support OP.

Jason Cook is stubborn as a mule about that hideous damn thing.

95_Aggie
AG
This is why Aggie jokes exist
Potlicker
AG
Good Lord..... I bet your grandpa was E King Gill and started the whole 12th man thing too huh? You're wanting a discussion about the bevel vs. the non-bevel but are calling out bevel huggers, etc.... Who gives a **** about a logo with a bevel or a logo without a bevel? A bunch of idiots posting on Texags?? Yup, that's about it.... Incredible this *****ing is still going on....
rangerdanger
AG
Im sure Loftin's administrative assistant dragged that right into the recycling bin.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Good Lord..... I bet your grandpa was E King Gill and started the whole 12th man thing too huh? You're wanting a discussion about the bevel vs. the non-bevel but are calling out bevel huggers, etc.... Who gives a **** about a logo with a bevel or a logo without a bevel? A bunch of idiots posting on Texags?? Yup, that's about it.... Incredible this *****ing is still going on....

You know what? You sound like a danged dirty bevel hugger!
rocky the dog
AG
quote:

Okay, smarty. Show us WHY the bevel is correctly drawn, or GTFO. It is apparent that you don't give a ratsa$$ about the image A&M presents to the world.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure how to make the photos larger. When I increase the size of the photos in photobucket they still display the same size on this forum. I converted pdf files into jpgs if that has anything to do with it.

Old Main, sorry I didn't mean for you to do any work on resizing photos or anything. It's just that on my iPhone I have to open the links and then I can't zoom in far enough to clearly read the text. It's an iPhone problem where they "bounce" the graphic and prevent zoom ins unless you hold your fingers in position.

I have subsequently read through the materials on my PC. I love the attention to detail. This is a tour-de-force on why the bevel is so bad. POTY!

+1 again for POTY.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Great letter.
Old Main
AG
Thanks!

Anyone who wants the pdf version of this letter (with active links) send me a PM with your email address or email me at greg@marooned.biz.

quote:
this guy on the internet wroe a letter to the university saying "I know what's good for the university". What intoxicating vanity and arrogance. Good lord, get over yourself.

Ragnar Danneskjold,
So if I was driving down Texas Ave. would CSPD pull me over and give me a breathalyzer based only on vanity and arrogance? This is another case of someone just making stuff up. TexAgs members who know me would state the exact opposite. I guess I don't understand why people can't debate the issue without personal insults and attacks. Most Aggies tell me that they appreciate the letter that I "wroe".

quote:
And I wouldn't say that Texags gives a good representation of the genpop. 800 people voted, huh? That is 1 percent of the student population, and doesn't include alumni. I wasn't any good at statistics, but I think a larger sample size is needed to be of any relevance.

dschares75,
I would prefer a larger sampling as well, but I used what was available. The voters did include alumni. Do you think that Former Students don't participate in the discussion forums on TexAgs? In four different polls/surveys the results were always the same - roughly 2 to 1 against the Bevel. One poll had over 1,300 voters. Do you think if it was 13,000 voters the results would all of the sudden be 95% in favor vs. the 17% that actually voted in favor of the Bevel in this particular poll? I think that if Michigan, North Carolina or Florida voted on their logos they would get a 95% or higher approval rating whether 1,300, 13,000, or 130,000 voted. If their fans didn't like their logos they would have new logos tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/13/2013 3:55p).]
rocky the dog
AG
quote:
I guess I don't understand why people can't debate the issue without personal insults and attacks.

Old Main,

It's because that's all they've got.
powerbiscuit
you sure don't hear them saying, "our logo/bevel is awesome"

Who was the moron that copied the tceh bevel in the first place? That's what I want to know.

When did we start copying texas tceh in anything?

It's not even a correct bevel. It was obviously dont by an amateur.

What's worse than making a bad decision is refusing to admit it and correct it.
Old Main
AG
quote:
While I do like the Block T better, do you think Slive gives a crap about the our logo?

dschares75,
I don't know the answer to this question, but at least Mike Slive and the SEC know how to properly bevel a logo. Here is the beveled logo that they use from time to time. Compare the highlighting and shading technique on the SEC logo to our beveled logo.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/13/2013 4:27p).]
SlimM
AG
I think the problem is people on Texags complain about some of the most ridiculous stuff. Because of this, whenever Cook or other people in charge bring up the bevel issue, they usually do it in condescending and dismissive manner. Like, "oh those wacky Texaggers and their silly complaints." But the thing is, this is NOT one of those silly complaints...since the bevel is actually done wrong. I'm one of the people who wouldn't mind the bevel if it was done correctly, but the one we currently have is ridiculous. I'm glad you showed all its inaccuracies and made the Tech comparisons as well. I think that will be far more effective than just saying "bevel sucks, bring back the block T."

Nice job, Old Main.
Brick Tamland
I need the laugh/cry face right now.
ElephantRider
AG
This is most definitely a silly complaint
NoHo Hank
AG
This topic is one of the dumbest things to get upset about, and it's pitifully pervasive on texags. It's even dumber than calling Kyle Field the snake pit. Here's reality, folks. The bevel isn't done correctly, but most people simply don't care (myself included). You are letting your principals outweigh your common sense. It's really not a big deal. And further, it's recognizable (more so than a simply block T, anyway) and we're sticking with it. If you don't like it, boycott it or keep writing long-winded letters or whatever, but I'd like to think A&M graduates would find more productive ways to spend their time than waging war on such a petty, trivial issue.
8T2
Wow. And to think many of these people have college degrees...from my alma mater!
ConLaw
AG
I sent a respectful email to Jason Cook this afternoon expressing my dislike of the bevel. He replied within three hours, thanking me for my feedback.

To reply so quickly on this busy spring Saturday says a lot about him, or perhaps his staff, but regardless, I am impressed.

[This message has been edited by ConLaw (edited 4/13/2013 5:40p).]
rocky the dog
AG
8T2. No Ag Tag. Your alma mater???
Brick Tamland
I'm going to send Cook an email asking him to bevel the helmet.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I'm going to send Cook an email asking him to bevel the helmet.

Good idea
Vepp
support op!
TennesseeVol
That is one outstanding, researched, and documented presentation. Old Main has me sold.

We had similar issues here years ago. No consistency with the color shade of orange. You would see the stripes on the socks a different hue from the jerseys. The 'T' on the helmet did not have the same color of orange, either. Basically, three shades of orange. T shirts, hats, jerseys...what have you....no consistent shade of orange. Two or three logos were being used as well. Finally, we said enough is enough!

Athletic department officials felt if we were going to show pride in our university then it had to start with a consistent color hue and an APPROPRIATE logo as well. If you don't care what your appearance looks like then that shows you probably don't care about being the best competitively, either. PERCEPTION folks, perception. It means a lot in the end.

I'm not an Aggie, and your logo is none of my business, but I would like to see you use the state of Texas map with aTm block logo superimposed over it....the one in Old Main's signature. That is one heck of a logo....it signifies that A&M is now our SEC member in that state. Not only that but, to me, it also implies that A&M is no longer contained within that small sliver but now claims ownership to the entire state.

[This message has been edited by TennesseeVol (edited 4/13/2013 7:02p).]
texag9817
Ummmmmmmm cliff notes version please?
JJxvi
AG
Mmmm, the bevel is bad, mmmm-kay...
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
Ummmmmmmm cliff notes version please?

Rabble rabble I hate the bevel rabble rabble I got us to the SEC
bgrimm05
AG
The bevel wouldn't look bad if it was actually a bevel...
KatyAg88
I support the OP.
TexasAggiesWin
S
rickbarnesforOC
Jesus get a life people
West Point Aggie
AG
imagine how long the PDF document will be in 2023, when the much hated beveled T A&M still exists...

The bluster is fun to witness, though!
Scotch
AG
I notice many making fun of those who care about our current flawed logo say things such as, "I don't mind he bevel", "I don't care" or how we should "just accept it". What I rarely see is someone who genuinely LIKES the bevel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.