Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,368 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
GEA89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sad that you actually wrote someone. I hope it found the garbage can.

Brick Tamland
quote:
Brick,

Cook has said the bevel is there for the opposite reason. It's there to emphasize the T. That's the closest he's ever come to an explanation at least.

I've seen him say that. Just giving my opinion on the matter.
Brick Tamland
And Scotch, grey or not, a bevel is still a bevel. The grey bevel on white T has become more of our primary mark since last summer.
Pro Ag
AG
Wow. I just read the letter. I stand by my first post on this thread. The letter makes it worse. Every time you made a point, you destroyed it with poor writing or being condescending.

The cost to rebrand is not worth it.

And no one is addressing JJxvi's point that going to the solid block is not going classic. I remember the logo he posted on page 6 prior to the current logo.

Unless you want to dilute our brand by adding, I suggest coming up with another plan. Or just make and sell gear as you have designed. You have so much faith it would do well, give it a shot. May still get shut down due to likeness, but then you would at least have some facts backed by $.
JJxvi
AG
Nobody is going to change this now. This logo has just been implemented as THE logo for the University effective 6 months ago and they rolled it in over an entire year period to give departments time to use up their old supplies and printed materials.
7thGenTexan
AG
But the cost was worth it to get what a Mississippi State grad wanted?
TexasAggiesWin
S
Anti - Bevelers =

[This message has been edited by aggiesrul8 (edited 4/15/2013 3:14p).]
7thGenTexan
AG
Nothing but insults from you [mostly non Aggie] bevel defenders.
JJxvi
AG
Your entire contribution to this thread has been to insult Jason Cook once per page.

Anyhow, to make my point about the maroon on white plain logo. rocky posted it as a bevel joke earlier...

Without the bevel on this logo, not only does it look plain, and awful, and amateur, but when I look at it, because of the A and the M and the way my eyes see the entire image, it makes the upper portion of the T look longer on the right side than the left without the bevel.

Old Main's assertion that the beveled version looks unbalanced because of the bevel is actually the opposite for me. Without the bevel there us an optical illusion that throws the image off balance for me. I don't notice it as much in the white on maroon or light on dark as I do when looking at the dark on white versions.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 4/15/2013 4:52p).]
SkillerWiller
AG
is this a joke?
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
Nothing but insults from you [mostly non Aggie] bevel defenders.

OP starts the thread calling people names, and it's everybody else that's the *******.

Old Main
quote:
Obviously I realize that I am about to get crucified by the Bevel Huggers on this forum.

Smithjg
Old Main
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
is this a joke?

Yes, just not intentionally.
12th Ag
AG
The bevel is ugly.
jackalope05
AG
This anti bevel **** is starting to get creepy
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
quote:
is this a joke?

It's hilarious and sad all at the same time
Whaler
AG
I read OPs letter, and even though parts were repetitve, I appreciate his thoroughness and he makes/illustrates some excellent points. The Tennessee "T" with our bevels really hit home for me. What a joke.

Maybe our logo designer never intended it to look 3-D and therefore didn't care about the logo being correct. To my eyes, it has never suggested 3-D, just a different/updated graphic.

I like the old block T the most, followed by the block ATM. The beveled T is by far my least favorite and agree venders aren't consistent with it. At its best it still looks crappy to me; therefore I seldom buy merchandise with it... If we have to keep the bevels, at least correct the damn thing!

And yes I support "Texas Aggies" in the end zone too.

Thanks to the OP for caring enough to voice his opinion.

[Edited for clarification]

[This message has been edited by Whaler (edited 4/15/2013 8:10p).]
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
This anti bevel **** is starting to get creepy

starting...!?! someone has not paid attention to TA!
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
Your entire contribution to this thread has been to insult Jason Cook once per page.

Fair point.
MaroonFight05
Excellent letter! Not only does the bevel logo look like crap, it also makes us look like morons since it is done incorrectly.
phatbc
OP
Lateralus Ag
AG
This thread has more posts than most other threads....even the spring game thread iirc.

Suffice to say, it's definitely a hot topic. One mans joke is another mans passion.....
Lateralus Ag
AG
Poor wording, but I will leave it there so you guys can attack me personally. Maybe if you take out your poor self image on me I might save a dog from getting kicked or a kid from getting yelled at.

My public service for the day.
YankAg13
AG
quote:
Yall dont like it, fine. Write letters saying so. Dont make up crap about the proportions of a logo or an off-center line in the T like it matters. Dont talk about public opinion because you have no idea. Dont talk about lost revenue, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the current contracts, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the research that went into changing a logo, because you have no idea.
Potlicker
AG
Nice to see the Bevel has still got everybody bent over.... May as well relax and enjoy it like ol' Clayton Williams once said......
Silent For Too Long
quote:
ElephantRider
posted 8:02p, 04/15/13

quote:
quote:
is this a joke?

It's hilarious and sad all at the same time

If I ever consider composing a Robert Jordan esque treatise on the relative positive and negative value of something so incredibly meaningless as a minor tweak to the aesthetics of my school's logo...I'll probably save all the nice people of TA a whole lot of time and just end it all right there....wow.
RhodeAg
AG
quote:
Rabble rabble I hate the bevel rabble rabble I got us to the SEC.

ElephantRider made me laugh. This is one bizarre jihad by Old Main and his 'anti-bevel-huggers'. I've seen some strange threads on TexAgs over the years, but this may take the prize. Yawn...

Think I'll see if there's any actual discussion about Aggie football...

Oh...and I would love to see 'Texas Aggies' once again in our end zones...but I won't start a new thread {containing 10,000 words} about it...

[This message has been edited by RhodeAg (edited 4/16/2013 5:06a).]
12th Ag
AG
The bevel distracts from the "T".
95_Aggie
AG
You are going to hate this new building

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_64746df9-5c2e-5745-aecd-f3048fb0f844.html?mode=image&photo=0

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 4/16/2013 10:23a).]
Quad Dog
AG
The sign at Blue Bell park is bad enough. The bevel T is supposed to make a 2D object look 3D. So we put a 2D object that looks 3D onto a 3D sign, when you could have really put a 3D beveled T on the sign.

Or you could use a 3D block T, that when the shadows are right, looks like a cool and correct bevel (or drop shadown in this case).

JJxvi
AG
smh
94Aggie95
AG
Thank you! The bevel must go!!!!
Gordon Bombay
AG
Excellent points. How much time do you have on your hands OP?
Sex Panther
AG
beveled t is for time to leave Bevel Hugger!

Face
AG
quote:
I think that intelligent debate on TexAgs is what we should all strive for.

Oh dear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.