Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,166 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
H.E. Pennypacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I notice many making fun of those who care about our current flawed logo say things such as, "I don't mind he bevel", "I don't care" or how we should "just accept it". What I rarely see is someone who genuinely LIKES the bevel.

This is what Jason Cook has never addressed. I get that the segment of A&M fans who HATE the bevel might be small, but that doesn't mean it's not larger than the segment of A&M fans that LOVE the bevel. And if that group doesn't exist, why have the bevel and two different versions of our MAIN logo?
King of the North
AG
I wasn't trying to imply that only students took the poll. I was trying to use a reference frame of just how small 800 people are compared to just the current students without including the tens of thousands of former students. By all means, I would have no problem with them going with the block T, but this crusade has been going on for so long, I just don't think the administration cares enough to change it, and everyone is just beating a dead horse... repeatedly...until it's mush.
Ragnar Danneskjold
Old main,

I wasnt making fun of you. You literally said you know what is good for the university. You are vain, arrogant, and delusional.

I also love that you think you had ANYTHING to do with the SEC.

Youre your own #1 fan.
texag9817
quote:
quote:
Ummmmmmmm cliff notes version please?

Rabble rabble I hate the bevel rabble rabble I got us to the SEC

Hey man thanks I really appreciate it. That right there is what being an Aggie is all about. Watching out for your fellow Ags who are less willing to read. That's Good Bull right there. Man I got your back now. I will support you to the end, and then some! I just can't say enough about that kind of teamwork. It's a true testament to the greatness of our new friendship and to the integrity of this entire board. I am absolutely speechless right now. I guess all I really have to say is: guys, I love yall. I love yall. I love yall. No matter which side of the great bevel war you stand on, I love you and I got yo back homie. Have a great night!
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
Old main,

I wasnt making fun of you. You literally said you know what is good for the university. You are vain, arrogant, and delusional.

Youre your own #1 fan.

Ragnar is owning this thread, and everyone has their heads too far up their asses to realize it.

I once called Old Main "annoyingly militant" and received quite the scolding for it, so watch out

[This message has been edited by Elephantrider (edited 4/13/2013 11:30p).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
You are vain, arrogant, and delusional

It's intoxicating
Pro Ag
AG
Cost of changing the main logo is greater than the negative cost of people that despise the logo. The cost to change increased with our move to the SEC and the success of 2011.

I don't know if I am more disappointed that someone didn't respond to Old Main about the true cost of a rebranding effort or his marketing expert not addressing it before the ridiculous letter with no real facts behind it.

I have always been amazed that most of the zoo liked Old Main when the E-board tired of him years ago.

[This message has been edited by Pro ag (edited 4/13/2013 11:36p).]
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Old main,

Youre your own #1 fan.

Ragnar is owning this thread, and everyone has their heads too far up their asses to realize it.

I one called Old Main "annoyingly militant" and received quite the scolding for it, so watch out

[This message has been edited by Elephantrider (edited 4/13/2013 11:29p).]

No, Ragnar is doing what he does, but this time he isn't making much sense. The fact that old main stated his opinion that the bevel is bad for our image, made a solid case to defend his opinion, doesn't make him arrogant at all. It means he has a well reasoned opinion. And whether you agree with his opinion or not, that doesn't change the fact that it's well reasoned.

I have heard Ragnar state similar things regarding tax law, intellectual property rights, gun laws, and puppies. They were all well reasoned opinions about how to run our country. That doesn't make him arrogant or delusional. However, when it comes to an opinion he doesn't share, he takes a hard line approach and falls into the first trap of an emotional response to a well reasoned, logical position: ad hominem.

By Ragnars own admission, Old Main's opinion is just that. I find it quite disturbing, however, that he decides to attack old main personally because of an opinion.

Make an argument AGAINST the block T or FOR the bevel. Frankly speaking, Old Mains arrogance or delusion is really not in question.

He stated his opinion and backed it up. It's important enough to him to put the time and effort into his defense of his opinion. The least you guys could do is refute his opinion, not belittle him as a person.

Oh, and Ragnar, calling someone arrogant and delusional is generally accepted as an insult and a personal attack, even if you tell him it's not.

If I walked up to you and punched you in the nose and then said, I didn't do it to hurt your nose, that doesn't change the fact that your nose is probably bleeding and painful.

Have a good evening gentlemen.

[This message has been edited by Lateralus ag (edited 4/13/2013 11:42p).]
Brick Tamland
quote:
Old main,

Youre your own #1 fan.

Ragnar "gets it"
PANHANDLE10
For the OP
Scotch
AG
No matter the cost, if there ever was a time to clean up and fix our logo, now is that time.

Watching the Spring Game I noticed that on ESPN graphics, they almost always used the white T-AM with a light gray bevel. This combo is MUCH less distracting than the abrupt change from maroon to white bevel or white to maroon bevel. Whoever made this decision(I wouldn't be surprIsed if this was an ESPN choice) deserves kudos.

I also noted that "Texas A&M" on the sidelines and the midfield logo had an outline. The outlines worked well, but an outline combined with a bevel makes for an overly busy logo.

Whichever style of logo Mark Snyder had on his visor was also better than Sumlin's.

The SEC has a beveled logo, but we put the non-beveled version on our field and I'm pretty sure ESPN uses he non-beveled SEC logo on their graphics. There are times when a cleaner, less complicated logo just makes more sense; on-field logos, embroidered items and televised graphics are great examples of times when simple is better.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 4/13/2013 11:59p).]
94chem
Bevel is stupid. I was trying to buy a hat in Academy the other day, but couldn't find one without the bevel. Didn't know they weren't available. I haven't been on a bevel crusade either; I just didn't want a hat with an ugly logo on it. When I buy an A&M hat, all I want is a clean maroon hat with a block white aTm on the front.
TDAggie
AG
Ragnar's just one of those tired TexAgs bags with eighty jillion posts in three years. Knows a little about everything.

Old Main, you're spot on. Gig Em!
NASAg03
Great letter op. It might be over the top for some people but that's because they aren't as passionate. I agree the bevel looks horrible on our merch. Our society is going to pure and simple, and the crappy bevel lookes like bad clip art. It's not necessary.

Most hats and polo shirts have embrodered ATM logos, and they look horrible. I'm waiting till football season when I head back to bcs to buy a hat to find one at a tent sale without bevels. I like texags aggies, block T's, no bevels, and ags plain and simple.

And you can't survey 100% of the population! It's not practical or necessary. No one does that. The fact that 1800 people are this passionate about a topic says enough.

Solid block ATM. It's good enough for the players heads and billion dollar contracts. It's good enough for me
ZombieElephant
AG
TennesseeVol's comments (p.3) are very telling. He gets it, and presents an objective, third party testimony. Negative comments from Aggies are both disappointing and puzzling. Disappointing to see the apathy expressed towards TAMU's outward appearance. Puzzling that people who say they don't care take the time to click, read, think up a way to criticize and then start typing.

There's nothing wrong with not caring about an issue. But to tell someone who obviously does care that they're arrogant, they should stand down and not try to make a change? Don't get that.

It's easy enough to trivialize this topic, but I'm with Old Main. I think it's an important issue because it speaks to how our university presents itself. If you don't think that's important that's fine. Let others fight that battle. You're not being drafted.

(Also, what Lateralus Ag just said.)

Old Main-
I really hope your letter moves TPTB to act, even if it's just doing their own survey. That's a start. You presented arguments with plenty of well researched support. The pictures of merchandise found in and around B/CS was VERY telling, and not exclusive to the area; it's like that everywhere. That we even HAVE two variations on our logo implies we can't make up our own mind on how we want to look, and creates confusion for gear manufacturers and frustration for fans (--the ones that do care).

What jumped out at me was your examples of teams using the bevel:
Texas Tech, oSu, ISU, Houston, Tarleton State …and Texas A&M

A quick internet search turned up a few teams NOT using a bevel:
Michigan, Southern California, Florida, Nebraska, Notre Dame.
Those institutions never felt the need to "jazz it up" with a bevel.

I'd love to hear TPTB's thoughts on where A&M should position itself, when comparing those two groups.
Creme de Menthe
The bevel sucks
Old Main
AG
quote:
Old main,

Youre your own #1 fan.

Ragnar,

Does this mean that you are canceling on us for movie night tonight? We were all looking forward to seeing The Aviator together. I've been saving my piss in jars for two weeks! I'll let Leo know, but he is going to be very disappointed. D-Cap told me that he has been bottling his urine since St.Patrick's Day and the first three bottles were green. I'm really upset that you aren't going to be there, but we'll try to have a good time without you.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/14/2013 7:32a).]
JJxvi
AG
Old Main is the busy body neighbor with too much time on her hands who loves to go meet with the church group to gossip and fix everyone else's problems.

As far as liking the bevel, it certainly beats the alternative plain aTm that many here love. The logo that they like has no character, would be harder to identify as A&Ms official mark compared to fake logos made of other plain text, and IMO have a very inconsistent look in different colors.

The plain aTm with bevel removed is garbage. The one in Old Main's sig with the state of Texas incorporated is better because the state adds back a highlight and some originality that was removed, but it needs a little professional work to be good. I might support something like changing our official logo to what was on our black helmets, but changing to the plain aTm? Anybody that argues that would be an improvement over the current logo is just wrong, IMO.
rocky the dog
AG
Hey, guys. JJxvi just posted his opinion. Maybe it's time for personnal attacks.

Let's see...JJxvi kicks puppies. He's arrogant and stupid. He's still living in the SWC. He has too much time on his hands.

What he can't do is prove that the current beveled logo is accurate. No one can.
JJxvi
AG
It's a logo. It's art not an architectural sketch.

Xoxoxo
rocky the dog
AG
It's a "flawed" logo. FIFY.

Show us the graphics that it is accurate. C'mon. Show us.
JJxvi
AG
Accurate what? An accurate bevel? There is no need, a logo is open to artistic impression and interpretation. not that i think the bevel is "great" or anything. besides, someone already created a bunch of bad "accurate" logos in Old Main's report.

My main issue with the clique you guys have is not the bevel hating, but the obsessing over the plain aTm that does almost none of the marketing and visual jobs a logo needs to do, but at least it's also ugly and boring, too. Very consistent.

Kisses
rocky the dog
AG
You and your pals seem obsessed with us. What's your problem, man?
BMX Bandit
I'm willing to bet this letter was laughed at by those that relieved it.

"The flawed logo". The horror!!

JJxvi
AG
Pals? I'm a loner, rocky. A rebel. You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me.

Au revoir.
BMX Bandit
I would love to read Rocky's letter to Slive saying this makes the SEC look stupid. Please post it.

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 4/14/2013 8:18a).]
Slother93
AG
So many Internet bad asses on here.

F#@< the bevel!
JJxvi
AG
quote:
F#@< the bevel!
Are you saying the bevel>sex?

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 4/14/2013 8:28a).]
rocky the dog
AG
I'm still waiting for someone to show that the bevel it correct. I'm waiting. Show us.

Even marketing "genius" Jason Cook couldn't.
meatpossum
AG

I wont buy anything with that damn bevel on it.
RAB83
AG
Old Main, I'm with you. Great letter. Solid reasoning.

For those questioning the statistics, self-selected respondents from a fan site is an unacceptable sample. No one ever project it. That said, 800 people would yield a margin of error that's roughly +/- 4%. I think if you want to make the case that TexAgs represents the most engaged Aggies, then it's not a leap to say the bevel is widely unpopular.

From a graphic design standpoint and from a marketing standpoint, the need to dump the bevel appears self-evident to me.

Add that it's a flawed bevel on the logo of a university where 20-25% of the students are engineers means this issue will probably never go away until the bevel is gone. I suspect a bunch of engineers are more stubborn than a university marketing VP.

The only reason I can see for hesitating is the sunk cost of the logo changes recently made, future cost of changing it again, the pain of changing it, and an unwillingness to admit it sucks.

Personally, I'm still thrilled we're in the SEC, which I've wanted since the SWC broke up. I'm thrilled we've got the Bellard era uniforms back. I never thought either of these would happen. Maybe the bevel will go too.
Bockaneer
AG
Missed the M&W game due to Saturday errands w the kids but did catch the end of the softball contest on espn ... The bevel-ed logo on the green wall behind home plate gave the impression my tv was flickering or out of focus (50" Samsung 8000 watching on the HD channel) ... The old school solid logo is definitely a cleaner, more vibrant look.
West Point Aggie
AG
This thread delivers entertainment! IT has angst, ill-misplaced braggadocio, good arguments, not-so-thinly veiled contempt, data, and so much more!
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to show that the bevel it correct. I'm waiting. Show us.

You're missing the point. Most people just don't care about a minor detail like that. Outside of Texags it's a complete non-issue. Just another silly shtick on this site, like Waffle House
rocky the dog
AG
quote:
Most people just don't care about a minor detail like that.

Most? Qualify that. Seems a few don't care, but MOST? Many do care, as shown in polls, this thread, and other threads about the bevel.

Once again, no one can prove the "bevel" is correct.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.