Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,344 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If people are actively seeking out unbeveled merch, it's actually probably helping sales and keeping up a more diverse product line because vendors see more items have decent sales.
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
You don't consider it a problem when former students are so disgusted with the university's logo that they refuse to buy any merchandise with said logo?

As stated like 15 times, No, because sales are way up. There's more rational people than people who get caught up in texags witch hunts and made-up cause du jour.

And I am sorry if you feel personally attacked, ive never noticed who I was replying to, and I havent mentioned you by name, so i really dont think I have personally attacked you.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 7:49a).]
Desert Ag
AG
quote:
I feel like I'm being trolled. Are people really so petty and childish that they're boycotting merchandise?
So not buying sheet that you don't like is boycotting?????

Guess I'm boycotting a whole lot of stuff!

Ragnar Danneskjold
If enough of yall boycott come back and we will have a new conversation, because if it was hurting sales (its doing the opposite of that), you would have a point and would have shown an actual problem which needs fixing.

I very much support you in this effort.
God speed.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 8:11a).]
ElephantRider
AG
In the grand scheme of things, 10 people on Texags that don't buy beveled merchandise isn't going to be a big deal
JJxvi
AG
It only really hurts sales if they boycott everything.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
If enough of yall boycott come back and we will have a new conversation, because if it was hurting sales (its doing the opposite of that), you would have a point and would have shown an actual problem which needs fixing.

I very much support you in this effort.
God speed.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 8:11a).]

The idea that the BEVEL is helping sales is preposterous and unprovable. Correlation is not causation, especially when there is no correlation.
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
The idea that the BEVEL is helping sales is preposterous and unprovable.

No one is saying that. I am PROVING that the bevel is not hurting sales.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
In the grand scheme of things, 10 people on Texags that don't buy beveled merchandise isn't going to be a big deal

Quit moving the bar. You guys said there was not tangible evidence that the bevel is bad. We gave you tangible evidence then you decided that tangible evidence isn't good enough.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
The idea that the BEVEL is helping sales is preposterous and unprovable.

No one is saying that. I am PROVING that the bevel is not hurting sales.

No you're not. You're proving that sales are up and attributing it to something that is unrelated. How do you know sales wouldn't be significantly higher with the block T or bock ATM? Sales being up is because of our success and the SEC move.
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
You're proving that sales are up and attributing it to something that is unrelated

I never attributed it to anything. Re-read.

You said the bevel is detrimental because its hurting sales. This is not true. This idea is not grounded in reality, but rather the reality created by people who want the logo changed because they personally do not like it.

You still have not shown ANYTHING which shows the bevel acting detrimentally to the university.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 8:29a).]
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
You're proving that sales are up and attributing it to something that is unrelated

I never attributed it to anything. Re-read.

You said the bevel is detrimental because its hurting sales. This is not true. This idea is not grounded in reality, but rather the reality created by people who want the logo changed because they personally do not like it.

You still have not shown ANYTHING which shows the bevel acting detrimentally to the university.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 8:29a).]

I don't buy merchandise with the bevel. I know others that do the same. How is this not detrimental?
Ragnar Danneskjold
quote:
How is this not detrimental?

because SALES. ARE. UP.

they are moving more merchandise than ever without you and a few others. If the bevel were hurting the pocketbook you would have a point, but its not.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 8:33a).]
ElephantRider
AG
When you have this many people buying merchandise, a few people boycotting =/= detrimental

Like Ragnar is saying sales have gone up. It's not because of the bevel, but the bevel is on most merchandise.

[This message has been edited by Elephantrider (edited 4/17/2013 8:33a).]
JJxvi
AG
If you buy a hat, golf balls, polo, several tshirts making sure that there are no bevels, then the University still got your money for a hat, golf balls, polo, several tshirts. There is no detriment, and probably is a net benefit to licensing and consumer because it promotes more diverse product.

The fact that people hate something and would never buy it is not harmful to overall business. Look at a company like AO. They have tons of crap that a lot of people would never buy, but overall my guess is they still sell a ****load of merch.

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 4/17/2013 8:39a).]
Quad Dog
AG
I am a big of bevel hater as anyone. I think it shows bad design, research, and decision making. Three things I don't like seeing associated with a place I love.
Any arguments about the impact the bevel has on merchandise sales (positive or negative) are ridiculous. No one has done that research, and anything posted is just speculation.
Here is an article that says licensing is up 27% percent. But there are so many variables in play that you cannot factor out the impact the bevel has on sales. And saying that people boycott the bevel logo means something is equal. Because if we went outside Texags and searched around we could probably find a number of equal people that would boycott a non beveled logo. Even using the word boycott is wrong, really you are just not buying things you don't like.
And Old Main, I support your cause, but unless you run a representative survey of A&M students, A&M grads, and non A&M alums who buy merchandise, please stop referencing surveys on Texags as useful. They are meaningless, and do not help your argument.
ElephantRider
AG
Quad Dog
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Old Main,
ignore the noise. There are far more of "us" than "them". Just keep fighting the good fight. You're doing the right thing.
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
They're only doing it because they love our University and don't want us to look bad.

Torbush wow!
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
There are far more of "us" than "them".

Not in the real world, where it actually matters. This is just another shtick that got taken way too far on texags
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
They're only doing it because they love our University and don't want us to look bad.

Torbush wow!
Warrior Poet
AG
apparently you guys aren't friends of the program
Gone
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
Not in the real world, where it actually matters. This is just another shtick that got taken way too far on texags

This is patently absurd.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Zoo gonna zoo!

GEA89
AG
This is still being perpetuated by the 6 posters who have an issue with something so petty? What a sad display of everything that is crappy about TexAgs and exemplifies the old fart viewpoints of the dwindling (rapidly I might add) cheap and wordly challenged fans we have.

Sales just keep going up, nobody wants your old ratchet logo except you few retards and nobody really cares except to shut you obtuse fools up.
Oscar Diggs
AG
Let us all accept the one true fact that Aggie merchandise is flying off the shelves because of a winning program on the rise, a Heisman trophy winner and the move to the SEC. We could have a logo that looked like dog crap and sales would still be through the roof.

The real question is: has the bevel helped to increase sales or has the bevel kept the numbers lower than they should be? Hmmm, how could you prove this, for example, I just bought a shirt that says Texas Aggies with no bevel yet I just contributed to the increase in sales.

Perhaps a good old fashioned TexAgs steel cage match could be arranged at a home game, Old Main v Ragnar. Have two tables set up in a high traffic area, have Old Main stock a table with non bevel shirts/merch and Ragnar can stock his table with bevel shirts/merch. Perfect real world experiment where only cash matters and not the number of socks you have. Let's see at the end of the day who walks out beveled or disbeveled. Make it happen TexAgs.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
Sales just keep going up

This is such a short sighted, naive, and well, frankly ignorant argument that it's almost embarrassing.
Ragnar Danneskjold
I actually agree with Old Main that the block logo is better, I just reject his false premises in his letter.

I would like to see it change, but im not going to say I speak for a majority or state that I know what is best for A&M marketing as compared to professionals in the know.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/17/2013 10:16a).]
Brick Tamland
Pinche mad.

Once again, who cares if it is "incorrect"? You're fighting a lost cause. We are no closer to the block T now than we were 5 years ago. I'm not telling you how to spend your money. I just think it's stupid and petty to not buy something just because you don't like a logo that, frankly, does not look nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I will trust our marketing and branding staff before I listen to some "pinche gringo" on TexAgs about the block T. They are, after all, getting paid to do what they do and are the best marketing department in the SEC (as evidenced by other schools only taking a look at our marketing department to see how we run things so they can emulate us). Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if there is a bevel or not, as long as everything is beveled (including the helmet) or nothing is beveled. What looks crappy is having bevel T everywhere else on our uniforms except the helmet. Bevel everything or don't bevel at all.

Ps, Just because Cook is from MSU, does not mean he does not love A&M and want to do what is best for us. I guarantee you he would turn down any job in America to stay here and keep improving our marketing and visibility.
jackalope05
AG
quote:
This is such a short sighted, naive, and well, frankly ignorant argument that it's almost embarrassing.

The bevel is here. You guys need to make the argument. Oh yeah, you don't like it. That's the argument.
Brick Tamland
Oscar,

In my opinion, the bevel has had a net-neutral effect on sales.

People do not buy beveled merchandise because of the bevel. They buy it for the A, the T, and the M. Probably 90% of people just buy what is available because that is the University's logo. There has been no reason for them to get rid of the bevel when it has had no real impact on sales. Who is to say that sales would be up even higher if there was a block T instead of the bevel. Personally, I do not think there would be a difference. The marketing department is genius in giving us both the block and bevel T on merchandise. I own plenty of both, personally. You keep the block people happy by producing block merchandise and you put the bevel on it for the majority of Ags that just do not care about a bevel. That maximizes sales and keeps both sides happy. I do not go around buying strictly bevel merchandise. If I like it, I get it, regardless of whether or not there is a bevel. I have polos with both logos that I wear all the time. It's just sad that it has come down to Ags bashing other Ags (I'm guilty as well) over something that just really does not matter at all.
Oscar Diggs
AG
So Brick, I don't get my steel cage match?

Most of the arguments here can't really be proved either way which is par for the course on TexAgs.

The only reason I am against the bevel is that once I read Rocky's original detailed explanation of how this bevel, in his opinion, was done wrong, I can't look at the bevel without seeing the flaws. I understand all of the arguments put forth here for and against the bevel, but personally, that once seen, the flaws can't be unseen. That's how I view it.

This argument could go on for another 12 pages without anyone bringing a new perspective, yes, TexAgs at it's finest.

[This message has been edited by Oscar Diggs (edited 4/17/2013 10:47a).]
skywise
AG
I was ambivalent to this until reading the letter. Thanks so much for the clarification; I'm now full-on against the bevel!
Panda
AG
Would you let someone bevel your wife? What about your children?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.