Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,361 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
jackalope05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TIME TO LEAVE!
89Ag4Ever
AG
So now that we are on page 9 of this topic, let me sum up by saying:

tl;dr

Bevel sucks.

It's here to stay. Get used to it.

/EOT
ham98
Bevel
Maroon Flash
AG
The bevel must go! I am tired of having the bevel forced down our throat!
WaffleHouseAg
AG
WAY TLDR
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
It should begin and end with this.

This is THE classic Texas A&M logo.

I honestly question those who cannot see how truly flawed the beveled logo is.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
7thGenTexan
posted 3:17p, 04/15/13

Nothing but insults from you [mostly non Aggie] bevel defenders.

Ragnar Danneskjold
the bevel is the defining issue of our generation, stop mocking it!
JJxvi
AG
I think the outline/double outline look is serviceable, and I have some sentimentality towards it because that's the logo I drew over and over when I was a kid, but outlines can have some scaling problems when rendering the logo at small sizes.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 4/16/2013 2:32p).]
BaileyAg
AG
I support the op!
AgsForTheWin
Old Main
AG
For those having issues reading some of the finer print the letter is displayed in a larger format at http://nobevel.com. You can also download the letter there as well.http://nobevel.com/LetterToLeadership.pdf

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/16/2013 4:09p).]
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Old Main,
I was one of the folks that you so graciously sent multiple decals to. Do you have any of the 'no bevel' decals shown above?!?!? Send me a truck load of 'em if so, please!!!
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Old Main,
I was one of the folks that you so graciously sent multiple decals to. Do you have any of the 'no bevel' decals shown above?!?!? Send me a truck load of 'em if so, please!!!
Old Main
AG
quote:
I think the outline/double outline look is serviceable, and I have some sentimentality towards it because that's the logo I drew over and over when I was a kid, but outlines can have some scaling problems when rendering the logo at small sizes.

JJxvi,

I think that a simple outline on the Classic aTm logo looks great in larger formats... I agree with you.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/16/2013 7:21p).]
Scotch
AG
Point is, the vast majority of those who hate the current bevel are fine with changes to the logo that make sense, such as outlines, etc. What we don't like is the current fake bevel forced upon us. If a store wants to use an nonbeveled logo it seems it has to be a zebra print or some other outlandish design. The traditional logo is blocked by the powers that be.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 4/16/2013 7:21p).]
Scotch
AG
quote:
I think the outline/double outline look is serviceable... but outlines can have some scaling problems when rendering the logo at small sizes.

The bevel has the same scaling issue, in fact the brand guide used to recommend the traditional logo for small uses.
I honestly think the light gray bevel on white logo looks ok, and if that was the ONLY bevel type, I would be ok with that. Problem is, most bevel patterns involving maroon and white distract from the T and make the logo of the school I love look cheap.
Brick Tamland
That's fine and all, but until the bevel hurts sales dramatically, don't expect a change. We were up 53% this year FYI
Ragnar Danneskjold
^that's impossible, old main knows what's best for texas a&m
Brick Tamland
Good point. ALL HAIL OLD MAIN! He brought us military walk and the SEC. Now he will deliver us from the bevel. What will he ever think of next?
Old Main
AG
D-Day96,

I will send you some tomorrow.

quote:
That's fine and all, but until the bevel hurts sales dramatically, don't expect a change. We were up 53% this year FYI

Brick Tamland,

Do you think that the sales increase was due to the Bevel? The bevel has been around since 1999. I don't think sales were up 53% due to fans all of the sudden loving the Bevel. I think it probably has more to do with with Johnny Manziel, the Heisman, the SEC, Coach Sumlin, and a 2012 football season that exceeded expectations.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/16/2013 8:06p).]
Brick Tamland
Not saying it is, but it's not hurting sales.
Ragnar Danneskjold
No. I just wanted to make fun of your arrogance again.
Brick Tamland
I seriously want to know what your next "grass roots movement" is going to be so I can pull a 2006EE and alert the proper higher ups.
BMX Bandit
No way anyone puts that bumper sticker on their car.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Nothing but insults from you [mostly non Aggie] bevel defenders.

You have to realize by now that a lot of people don't really give a **** about the bevel and are just messing with you.
Brick Tamland
quote:
No way anyone puts that bumper sticker on their car.

I could be wrong, but I swear once Old Main went on a 15 minute rant about the block T to a team leader at Copy Corner trying to give him that bumper sticker.
NoHo Hank
AG
Old Main, I get that you are passionate about A&M. That's great. Seriously though, direct your efforts to something worthwhile. Other than a few basic arguments that are based on things, which, while technically true, are incredibly inconsequential. Namely, the geometric accuracy of the bevel just isn't that critical. Further, the elephant(s) in the room are largely ignored.

1) Infrastructure of vendors
2) Genuine market research as a basis for change
3) Cost of change vs. cost of continuing as is
4) Marketability & branding

The fact is that at no point in your diatribe do you address any of these issues. You express an opinion, dress it up with a few (inconsequential) facts, and then act high and mighty about so called "Bevel huggers."

Can't you see how misdirected your efforts are? If this truly were an issue (which it wasn't), attempts to determine the validity would begin with addressing the four issues raised above.
Brick Tamland
Since I didn't see your edit until now, you just proved my point. The bevel is inconsequential to the fans. If it was such a problem we wouldn't have seen such an increase. The fact is, we have increased in sales every year for the last few years. This tells me the vast majority does not care about the bevel. If the bevel was so bad, it would hurt sales. Guess what. It didn't.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Still no defense of the bevel, just personal attacks against the OP.

Bevel sucks almost as bad as your arguments.
Ragnar Danneskjold
we dont have to defend it because no one has articulated what's wrong with it. The fact that yall dont like it isnt a reason to change it. Unless you can furnish some tangible evidence that the bevel is a detriment, dont ask anyone to defend it.

I will refute every argument made against the bevel: Some people like it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
we dont have to defend it because no one has articulated what's wrong with it.

Bull****
Street Fighter
AG
quote:
Still no defense of the bevel, just personal attacks against the OP.

OP opened his thread with personal attacks calling people Bevel Huggers lol.

And he used to own a bevelled vette, so I fail to understand his hatred of it.

[This message has been edited by Street Fighter (edited 4/16/2013 10:25p).]
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
we dont have to defend it because no one has articulated what's wrong with it. The fact that yall dont like it isnt a reason to change it. Unless you can furnish some tangible evidence that the bevel is a detriment, dont ask anyone to defend it.

I will refute every argument made against the bevel: Some people like it.

As I have stated three times: I won't buy beveled merchandise as others have also stated. That's tangible evidence.

Geez Rags, you're better than that.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Street Fighter's got a real hard on for Old Main.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.