Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

231,313 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BartInLA
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree 100% with Ragnar.

Nobody on earth outside of this forum gives one crap about the bevel. I would imagine if you polled most normal "non-Texag" aggies, most wouldn't even understand what you were talking about, much less why you care. This doesn't effect our football team one iota, and our football team's success is what sells merchandise. It's very strange how obsessed some of you have become over this
Tobias Funke
AG
And the term "Bevel Hugger" is ridiculous. "Perspective Haver" is a better fit
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Cook was so great at marketing A&M that they outsourced his position.

FIFY
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Agree 100% with Ragnar.

Nobody on earth outside of this forum gives one crap about the bevel. I would imagine if you polled most normal "non-Texag" aggies, most wouldn't even understand what you were talking about, much less why you care. This doesn't effect our football team one iota, and our football team's success is what sells merchandise. It's very strange how obsessed some of you have become over this

Your first sentence is completely false, therefore the argument you base on your premise is also false.

I know of at least 1 person that has never been in Texags that hates the bevel. I actually know quite a few, but all I need is one to invalidate your statement.

Edit: and before you say that your first sentence was that you agree with Ragnar so it can't be false, I would like to point out that it's not a sentence the way you meant it.

[This message has been edited by Lateralus ag (edited 4/14/2013 7:07p).]
ElephantRider
AG
I've honestly never heard anyone outside of Texags even mention the bevel
rocky the dog
AG
quote:
I've honestly never heard anyone outside of Texags even mention the bevel

So if ElephantRider never heard it, it must be true.

[This message has been edited by rocky the dog (edited 4/14/2013 7:45p).]
Ragnar Danneskjold
If you asked most Aggie fans not on texags "what do you think about the bevel?", they would reply "what bevel?"
Ragnar Danneskjold
Its fine that yall dont like the bevel, neither do i. But when you present an argument other than "I dont like it", youre talking out of your ass.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/14/2013 7:25p).]
ElephantRider
AG
So we're resorting to childish name calling now, rocky?
rocky the dog
AG
Alright, I apologize. It's just frustrating that a former student posts a letter trying to get his alma mater's logo correctly presented, is ignored by the University, proves it's flawed, and gets personally attacked by people who think it's trivia. He's entitled to his opinion about the logo, but then has to endure derogatory opinions about him. I just don't think that's right.
pv
End the bevel

Good letter.
FtBendTxAg
AG
to hell with the bevel
sawemoff07
12th Ag
12th Ag
AG
What I meant to say is that I HATE the bevel and it looks stupid and dumb.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Its fine that yall dont like the bevel, neither do i. But when you present an argument other than "I dont like it", youre talking out of your ass.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/14/2013 7:25p).]

Again with the personal attacks. You're better than that.
Bockaneer
AG
GOOD WORK OLD MAIN.

91G 'EM 94GGIES!
Dab
Rocky:

"It's just frustrating that a former student posts a letter trying to get his alma mater's logo correctly presented, is ignored by the University, proves it's flawed, and gets personally attacked by people who think it's trivia. He's entitled to his opinion about the logo, but then has to endure derogatory opinions about him. I just don't think that's right."

Spot on. The only people criticizing him say they don't care, which makes no sense. Its like watching monkeys at the zoo throw handfuls of themselves at people walking by. The only reasonable assumption to make is that they must be bored.

Despite all that, i see well supported arguments against the bevel and nothing on the other side. If we were to ever get a genuine response from the University about this i might fall off my chair. The truth is that i could understand a point about cost to change what has already been placed -vs- changing it all, but we have not even been dignified with that. Frustrating is not a strong enough word.

Ragnar Danneskjold
In no way, shape, or form is that a personal attack.

Yall dont like it, fine. Write letters saying so. Dont make up crap about the proportions of a logo or an off-center line in the T like it matters. Dont talk about public opinion because you have no idea. Dont talk about lost revenue, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the current contracts, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the research that went into changing a logo, because you have no idea.

Just say "Hey, I really dont like it", dont pretend you have some first-hand secret knowledge unknown to the people who actually negotiate the contracts and build brands for a living.

The one thing OP didnt do in his letter is point out why the logo is bad, he just gave information on why he didnt like it. No one had demonstrated why the logo is a problem, what detriment is done by keeping it, or what specifically would improve if it changed.

Its personal preference. That's it.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/14/2013 10:49p).]
Oscar Diggs
AG
Hey, I really don't like it!
pv
Great thread. Please post the university's response.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Plenty has been shown how its a detriment:

There are people on this very thread that have said they won't buy merchandise with the bevel.

And if you say to someone that they are talking out if their ass, it's generally accepted to be an insult and a personal attack.

But that's just my opinion.
Old Main
AG
I just saw this Student Senate Bill a few hours ago on a Google search. To find the link search for A&M Bevel with "Past Week" selected on the search tools.

Here is the Student Senate website
http://senate.tamu.edu

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/16/2013 11:31p).]
Brock Sampson
AG
If only so much effort went towards important things, like getting our fine ace dance team on the sideline.
RAB87
AG
Can't get rid of the bevel soon enough.
pinche gringo
AG
quote:
In no way, shape, or form is that a personal attack.

Yall dont like it, fine. Write letters saying so. Dont make up crap about the proportions of a logo or an off-center line in the T like it matters. Dont talk about public opinion because you have no idea. Dont talk about lost revenue, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the current contracts, because you have no idea. Dont talk about the research that went into changing a logo, because you have no idea.

Just say "Hey, I really dont like it", dont pretend you have some first-hand secret knowledge unknown to the people who actually negotiate the contracts and build brands for a living.

The one thing OP didnt do in his letter is point out why the logo is bad, he just gave information on why he didnt like it. No one had demonstrated why the logo is a problem, what detriment is done by keeping it, or what specifically would improve if it changed.

Its personal preference. That's it.

7thGenTexan
AG
The student senate bill.

West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
Alright, I apologize. It's just frustrating that a former student posts a letter trying to get his alma mater's logo correctly presented, is ignored by the University, proves it's flawed, and gets personally attacked by people who think it's trivia. He's entitled to his opinion about the logo, but then has to endure derogatory opinions about him. I just don't think that's right.

1). It is a trivial matter

2). This is TexAgs...did you really expect a civil discourse on the matter?

3). Bevel-obsessed people are funny...
Scotch
AG
This is the language of a proposed referendum on the bevel:
quote:
Therefore let it be enacted: A referendum be added to the Fall 2013 elections with the following question: "Do you support the use of the current beveled Texas A&M logo or do you support the use of the classic Texas A&M logo (as was used from 1978-2000?"

This is a worthwhile Student Senate bill, but I wish the referendum would note that the traditional logo is still in use on our football helmets.

Desert Ag
AG
OP, it's understandable that in every group some will not find aesthetic matters particularly meaningful just as in every group you will find those consumed by the need to express their inner turmoil in the form of demeaning comments.

Anywho, enough social commentary. Have you discussed this with A&M's Dept. of Visualization? It's hard to imagine the current design having gotten very far if they had been involved. Has anyone there (i.e. faculty) offered an opinion? Seems to me that if you were to get support from our own experts about the aesthetic issues, you may gain some high ground in the argument. Obviously there may be political concerns that would inhibit the Dept.'s participation in the broader branding debate but how could they deny the reality of a design flaw?
JJxvi
AG
There is no "classic" logo. Back then there were a million different logos. Simply removing the bevel wouldn't get back to most of them even ignoring font size and spacing differences, they usually had a different highlight that the bevel replaced (because the plain logo is crap). It was usually a thick outline or a double outline. White on maroon might sometimes be the simple logo, but maroon on white often had highlights/oulines because it looks fugly and amateurish otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 4/15/2013 7:51a).]
7thGenTexan
AG
If you don't care one way or another about the bevel, hop off the thread.

Thanks.
burdt
AG
Not a fan of the bevel. I always thought it was a little off but am really against it after closer inspection.
ElephantRider
AG
Please lock this thread, staff.

Take it to the GB, doesn't belong on this board
7thGenTexan
AG
Bad show, elephant.

Lame.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.