****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

212,388 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
JAggie2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Cowboys still pick 4th. The only way they get hurt is three teams moving ahead of them that want a defensive lineman. That hasn't happened.
Well the Rams didn't give away a king's ransom to draft DL, so that only makes two teams. Even if the Rams did want DL why would picks 1-3 going DL hurt Dallas? That would still leave both QBs, Ramsey, Jack, Tunsil, Zeke. That would actually be an awesome spot because then they could trade down a few spots and still get one of the aforementioned guys.
RedlineAg08
Because he believes the Cowboys want to go DLine..

I think they go DLine or Ramsey, as well.. Myles Jack will be a great player, but I don't think you can draft him and sit him on the bench. I think his natural position would be WILL and he ain't starting over Sean Lee. He could play MLB, but an in shape Rolando will beat him out. So you're gambling that McClain comes to camp out of shape. It's safer to draft a position of certain need like DLine or CB/S (whatever they decide to play Ramsey at). And they'll do that because the player they get a DL or DB isn't a worse player than Myles Jack. They're all really really good prospects.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Nothing is a certainty in the draft, but I think we have a pretty clear picture for Dallas here. A QB will go #1 and SD will sprint to the podium for Tunsil #3. The ONLY question is if Cleveland (or somebody else via trade) takes a QB at #2 or if Cleveland takes Ramsey.

In short there are 2 scenarios to ponder over for Dallas:

Cleveland/Trade takes a QB #2: Ramsey is on the board and I'm pretty sure Dallas would take the pick. Dallas wouldn't get much via trade with no QBs still on the board and Dallas isn't going to walk away from the guy rumored to be #1 on their (and other teams) board.

Cleveland takes Ramsey #2: This is where it gets REALLY interesting. There is now a QB still on the board at #4. Is the leftover QB the one Dallas had as the #1 QB? Is Dallas serious about drafting a QB? Philly and SF are now real players for trading up and possibly paying a decent price to get their QB (asking price starts with this years 2nd rounder which makes SF a much more attractive partner cause Philly's 2nd rounder is #14). Either way this sets up really nicely because SF drafts ahead of Philly, so if Dallas trades with either they should pick up a 2nd rounder and one of their elite prospects (Zeke) should still be on the board.

Right now Dallas looks like a winner in this trade because SD is locked in on Tunsil. So depending on what Cleveland does Dallas either gets Ramsey or they hold all the cards for the remaining QB... they either take the QB or make a trade and still get one of their top targets. Sweet!!!
Post removed:
by user
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
IMO, Dallas should be hoping a QB falls to 4, and SF or Philly desperately want to trade up. Pick up additional couple of picks, and with the 7th or 8th, take Buckner. You then use later round picks to grab a RB like Procise, Booker, or one of the Arkansas guys. RBs are too disposable, especially when you build a strong OL.

I agree that a QB falling to #4 is probably the better scenario because it opens up a world of options. Let's not forget that taking a QB might be the right move though. It's a toss-up between Goff/Wentz who is better and LA just traded their future to get one of them. So if one of them is still around at #4 some would argue that is really great player worth taking. I personally am still torn because we have other needs, but man I'd love for one of these guys to sit behind Romo and learn (and possibly play if Romo goes down again).
DannyDuberstein
AG
Needing a good qb when Romo is inevitably hurt IS a need.
jr15aggie
AG
OK, how about a wild card option... who doesn't love a good wild card prediction around draft time!!!!

One of the teams that had apparently inquired about the #1 spot was the NY Jets. What if Goff or Wentz falls to #4 and the team to move up was the Jets! For the Jets it would be much more affordable than going to #1, but the good news for Dallas is the asking price would still be very high. It wouldn't be Tenn/LA rich, but it wouldn't be that far off either. This years 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1 is probably the price with some possible swapping of 4th & 5th this year/next year to soften the blow for the Jets.

It's not the most exciting deal right now because we'd have to wait until next year to really reap the reward of an extra #1 (which also depends on their record next year). This year we'd fall all the way to #20 in the first round and #20 in the rounds of any other picks we acquire this year. But man, I think we could do some damage with that sorta deal!
Kashchei
AG
quote:
We play the NFC North this year.
We couldn't play them at home for once?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
RE: at GB, believe the homes/aways VS conference opponents are dictated by how you finished the prior year and how that team finished and then they slot you like that. it just so happens that the slotting has fallen GBs way in recent years.

games VS opposing conference are rotated by division but completely based on alternating home and away so that you don't play in the same city every 4 yrs but only return to that city after 8 yrs.

as far as the pick, I think Jack is capable of playing MLB but his size is not ideal for it and i'm certainly not sure he can hold up to it. add in his recent injury and i'm not too keen on him being the guy here. on Ramsey, I was high on him about 3 weeks ago but i think i'm suffering from a case of listening to too many doubters and now i'm having some doubts on him too. on Bosa I'm gona agree with a lota people who see him as a guy who will get 10-14 sacks a year which is very good, but not #4 good.

i really really want some team to get desperate and trade up with Dallas. then snag Zeke or if we trade a bit further down Alexander. that's what i want today. ask me again tomorrow and it might be something different. thats probably how jerry operates too.
PooDoo
AG
I was looking to see how much SD was paying Barksdale & Dunlap to see how likely they might take Tunsil

They have a lot invested in their Oline already and have needs all over the defense... Wouldn't be surprised if they went with Buckner, Ramsey, or Bosa.

Interesting list:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Team Cap Allocation

RANK
TEAM
PLAYERS
2016 CAP DOLLARS
% OF 2016 CAP

Minnesota Vikings
$39,606,744
27.43%
Oakland Raiders
$37,499,642
23.99%
Philadelphia Eagles
$34,220,221
22.86%
Pittsburgh Steelers
$31,984,391
20.59%
Houston Texans
$29,996,768
20.05%
Buffalo Bills
$28,683,747
18.99%
Miami Dolphins
$28,779,389
18.76%
Washington Redskins
$27,931,871
18.45%
Cincinnati Bengals
$26,311,659
17.92%
San Diego Chargers
$25,800,352
17.59%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
$25,161,544
17.36%
New England Patriots
$26,777,689
17.31%
Jacksonville Jaguars
$23,552,943
17.18%
Green Bay Packers
$24,203,827
15.90%
Carolina Panthers
$21,638,900
15.40%
Los Angeles Rams
$21,810,909
15.27%
San Francisco 49ers
$18,434,541
14.86%
Arizona Cardinals
$23,026,096
14.73%
Cleveland Browns
$20,261,856
14.70%
New York Jets
$20,992,115
14.14%
Dallas Cowboys
$20,916,682
13.82%
Baltimore Ravens
$20,263,706
13.81%
Atlanta Falcons
$20,086,773
13.28%
Chicago Bears
$16,727,980
12.49%
Indianapolis Colts
$17,752,741
12.47%
New Orleans Saints
$17,979,540
11.79%
Detroit Lions
$15,754,500
11.12%
Kansas City Chiefs
$16,292,888
10.68%
Denver Broncos
$13,977,804
9.66%
Tennessee Titans
$14,230,977
9.60%
New York Giants
$13,544,442
9.35%
Seattle Seahawks
$8,301,844
5.59%
jr15aggie
AG
Like it's been said, our opinions change daily. Right now if the QBs are gone and we have to make a pick at #4 I'm asking myself 1 question: Who is the one player you don't want to play against twice a year if they went to Philly #8 or the NY Giants at #10?

Bosa, Ramsey, Zeke, Buckner, Jack???

I think my answer right now is Zeke. I do NOT want to play against that guy twice a year! The runner up is probably a 100% healthy Myles Jack.

It doesn't matter what our biggest need is. It's the #4 pick... let's get a guy other teams fear and have to gameplan for. That's Zeke & Jack. And considering Jack's injury concern I think my pick is Zeke. Don't give a crap if it isn't popular to take RBs that high... nobody will say anything if Zeke goes 1,500+ yards as a rookie!
Disco Stu
AG
You don't make a pick at #4 with the specific purpose of keeping a player away from another team in the division.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
You don't make a pick at #4 with the specific purpose of keeping a player away from another team in the division.

You misunderstand me... I want the player that Philly, NY, and Wash don't want to play twice each year. So I think about what player I don't want them to get and it helps figure out who I should take.

I'm not scared to play Bosa or Ramsey... But I don't want to play against Zeke or Jack. Those are two guys that can win a game for a team when that team had no business in winning.
PooDoo
AG
I think Bosa might be one of those guys too. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure most teams Ohio St played game planned around him. He plays so angry. I could see him destroying Eli Manning.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Some good discussion on this thread.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I think Bosa might be one of those guys too. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure most teams Ohio St played game planned around him. He plays so angry. I could see him destroying Eli Manning.

Bosa is one of the few guys I know from college that was disruptive. Hard to argue his college tape. But I thought the same of Bobby Carpenter.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
You just mentioned Barbie Carpenter.

All of the sudden Im expecting Bosa to be a total bust.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Jack's injury makes him too big of risk at #4

I hope the Boys can take Ramsey at 4 and grab Derrick Henry with their 2nd rd.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

But they are so similar though... Carpenter was also all over the field in college. Couldn't believe the bust he turned out to be.

And no thanks on Henry in the 2nd! I've seen enough Bama RBs dominate behind their line in college only to be exposed in the the NFL. Henry ran way too slow at the combine for my taste. Pass.
BMX Bandit
You've seen none do what Henry was able to do
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm having trouble pegging Henry's NFL potential. Without question he's a physical freak. Great size and quality speed for that size. The main part I'm torn on is that while his size was great for overwhelming college defenders, it also makes him a big target to quality defenders that match up better physically. I'm just not entirely sold on his first couple of steps. I thinks he tends to need a little runway, and NFL defenses aren't big on giving consistent runway. I think he'll be pretty solid. Not sure about top quality.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:

But they are so similar though... Carpenter was also all over the field in college. Couldn't believe the bust he turned out to be.

And no thanks on Henry in the 2nd! I've seen enough Bama RBs dominate behind their line in college only to be exposed in the the NFL. Henry ran way too slow at the combine for my taste. Pass.

If I'm remembering correctly AJ Hawk got most of the attention plus the Dline allowed Carpenter to run free. The guy wasn't built for a 3-4 scheme in the NFL.
It was a classic example of drafting for need. I think Chad Greenway was their target & he got picked right before so they reached.

I remember Norm going crazy that they didn't draft Santonio Holmes.

They passed on some LBs that had great careers.
corleoneAg99
AG
Bosa and Carpenter are similar?

Wow.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Wow.

You taking things out of context and being overly dramatic... Wow!
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow.

You taking things out of context and being overly dramatic... Wow!

That was dramatic and out of context?

Or you don't want to defend it?
Ag Natural
AG
I'm no NFL scout but Zeke was the best player I saw in college last year (besides Myles Garrett). If the Cowboys pick Ramsey I might be sick.
birdman
McFadden finished 4th in the NFL in rushing. And he only became the starter midway through the season. Why would the Cowboys take running back with early pick?

Henry runs like Murray, one cut and go. He could be terrific with the right team. I could also imagine him putting on 40 pounds of blubber.
RedlineAg08
Dont need elliot. And we definitely dont need hit at #4. Thats the worst pick they could make out of all the ones discussed.

McFadden did good last year as stated above and we signed Alfred Morris. And there are lots of RBs to be had later.

jr15aggie
AG
I think some of you aren't aware of the leader and hardnose player Zeke is. This guy is the full package... Dynamic runner and brutal blocker.

You put this guy on the field at the same time with Dez and their desire alone will create something special with this offense.

It's one of the reasons I'm high on Ramsey too... The guy sweats confidence and our team needs more of that.
corleoneAg99
AG
Elliott's great.

But RB was one of the only areas last year that didn't look like a tire fire.

Besides the star studded and heavily invested in OL.
TyHolden
AG
quote:

Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Dont need elliot. And we definitely dont need hit at #4. Thats the worst pick they could make out of all the ones discussed.

McFadden did good last year as stated above and we signed Alfred Morris. And there are lots of RBs to be had later.

Not taking the best player is the worst pick. I don't care what position they play or if we need it right this minute. The best guy will improve the team the most period.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm having trouble pegging Henry's NFL potential. Without question he's a physical freak. Great size and quality speed for that size. The main part I'm torn on is that while his size was great for overwhelming college defenders, it also makes him a big target to quality defenders that match up better physically. I'm just not entirely sold on his first couple of steps. I thinks he tends to need a little runway, and NFL defenses aren't big on giving consistent runway. I think he'll be pretty solid. Not sure about top quality.
Henry screams Brandon Jacobs or Chris Brown to me. Tall, upright runners who look like they are moving in slow motion but are consistently gaining 4-5 yards, with enough get up to break the occasional 30-40. I think Henry has an excellent pro career, maybe not as a top 5 back but a guy who pushes the pro bowl a few times.

You need to watch more of Henry. He gets stuffed for losses more than he should.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.