****Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread***

212,359 Views | 2475 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jr15aggie
RedlineAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kevin Hogan didn't look bad.

One thing is for certain, no one is really good at evaluating QBs. There is something that can't be evaluated, or that we haven't figured out yet.

So, in a year when one guy played against my high school team for 2 years, and the other guy was merely "meh" I say let's not take one. The top level QBs didn't show me enough ON THE FIELD for me to waste a #4 pick.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Kevin Hogan didn't look bad.

One thing is for certain, no one is really good at evaluating QBs. There is something that can't be evaluated, or that we haven't figured out yet.

So, in a year when one guy played against my high school team for 2 years, and the other guy was merely "meh" I say let's not take one. The top level QBs didn't show me enough ON THE FIELD for me to waste a #4 pick.

I tend to go to Tony Romo's comments about evaluating QBs in the documentary the Cowboys made on him and Quincy Carter. I don't remember the exact words, but it went along the lines of...

"I don't understand why teams evaluate quarterbacks for speed, arm strength, and competition as success indicators. The first thing I want to know about a prospect is if he can go through his progressions. If he can't do that, then everything else is useless. You don't have to go through progressions at the combine or at a pro day. Second, I want to know how he manipulates the pocket. If you can do those two things, the rest is cake."
corleoneAg99
AG
Treadwell is a slower and less explosive Dez. That's not the answer IMO.

And, while the league is trending offensively for sure, you have to have a QB functioning at a high level.

Or an elite defense.

If they aren't going to draft a QB then I'd load up on defense, find a good backup QB somehow, and play the high stakes game of roulette that Romo stays healthy.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Treadwell is a slower and less explosive Dez. That's not the answer IMO.

And, while the league is trending offensively for sure, you have to have a QB functioning at a high level.

Or an elite defense.

If they aren't going to draft a QB then I'd load up on defense, find a good backup QB somehow, and play the high stakes game of roulette that Romo stays healthy.

There are definitely some good backups available this offseason. It'll be very telling if Dallas does/doesn't pick one up.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Would be very disappointed in Treadwell as the pick at #4.

BassCowboy33
quote:
Would be very disappointed in Treadwell as the pick at #4.

Yeah, that's a good way to universally piss everyone off.
PooDoo
AG
Will be interested to see what's going on in the Oline during training camp. Somebody's going to have to beat out Free eventually.
BassCowboy33
Another solid morning talk from The Musers. Craig did a statistical study on when the better QBs in history have retired. He found:

- Average age of the "above average quarterback" retirement is 35-36.

- The 75% median seems to be 38.

- A few have made it to 40 (Favre, Moon, and he throws Brady in this)

- Low 25% is about 34. (Aikman, Young)

- Notes that most of these guys saw significant decline in their last couple of years.

- Therefore, statistically, Romo is looking at a maximum of three years left. Given his injury history, it's not wrong to believe that he will last less than that.

- Both Craig and George believe that if Dallas doesn't take one of the Top Tier guys this season, that they'll be "stuck in another CHutch, Quincy era for the foreseeable future".
PooDoo
AG
It should be a no brainier. If you think the guy is going to be a franchise QB you've got to take him.

No matter what. If you're right & you don't need him then he is a valuable commodity... If you do need him you're a genius... If you pick wrong you can try to make him look good in preseason & trade him to a desperate team... If you don't take one you either don't trust your scouts, coaches, or GM to handle it.

Look at what the Packers did with Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell, & Hasselback. It's not like there's not a prefect blueprint how to handle your QB situation out there.
corleoneAg99
AG
Its always about this time of year that I really wonder how someone as dense as Jerry makes it to billionaire status. It really is amazing.
Agnzona
Being new to the Metroplex not really very familiar with Jerry. But the cuts yesterday I heard on the drive home made him sound literally like a babbling idiot. I was thinking "is he always like that"?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Being new to the Metroplex not really very familiar with Jerry. But the cuts yesterday I heard on the drive home made him sound literally like a babbling idiot. I was thinking "is he always like that"?
I can relate because I'm a guy that is very black/white and I usually just speak my mind... but sometimes you have to pull that side of you back a bit and understand who you are talking to and what the subject matter is.

I think Jerry struggles here and he rambles sometimes. He'd much rather just give the facts and move on, but you can't do that when you are speaking to the media, especially when the subject is a player & salary negotiations.

So it comes across as a weakness in on the spot interviews, but I think it's a BIG strength when it comes to convincing players to play in Dallas. Guys like Collins last year could have gone anywhere, but Jerry sat down with him and was completely black/white with him and was factual about how much Jerry wanted him and how much he could succeed in Dallas. And Collins believed him!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I can relate because I'm a guy that is very black/white and I usually just speak my mind... but sometimes you have to pull that side of you back a bit and understand who you are talking to and what the subject matter is.

I think Jerry struggles here and he rambles sometimes. He'd much rather just give the facts and move on, but you can't do that when you are speaking to the media, especially when the subject is a player & salary negotiations.

So it comes across as a weakness in on the spot interviews, but I think it's a BIG strength when it comes to convincing players to play in Dallas. Guys like Collins last year could have gone anywhere, but Jerry sat down with him and was completely black/white with him and was factual about how much Jerry wanted him and how much he could succeed in Dallas. And Collins believed him!

The general thinking is that Jerry is a fantastic owner and a terrible GM. He'd sell a child to win, but his poor management of player personnel always get in the way. As a fan, you don't have to worry about a cost cutting, profiteering, shadow man. You do have to worry about him bringing in crap and "drafting for the now" that hurts the team long term.
BassCowboy33
Goose was on The Invasion this morning:

- Believes that quarterback is the best play, but doesn't think that Dallas will go that way.

- Expects Dallas to draft heavy on defense. Thinks you can expect something like in the first 100:

(1) DE
(2) DT
(3) CB
(4) LB
(4) DT

- Also believes that Dallas wants Derrick Henry, but he may not be there at #35.

- FWIW, he's also loving the Ian Desmond signing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry is simply a terrible speaker. I think part of the issue is that he had some embarrassing quips in his first few years as owner (the Aikman shower comment, etc), and in response, he got more guarded. Some would accomplish getting more guarded by simply speaking less, but in Jerry's case, he morphed into a guy that talks a lot without actually saying much of anything. So you end up with a bunch of rambling nonsense.

I do think he is a very sharp businessman - obviously. But having a consistent vision for building a team and then how to execute that vision is a weakness. That doesn't help when he'a speaking about his team. And then public soeaking is a weakness.
corleoneAg99
AG
Dane Brugler is draftnick and he did a mock on CBS yesterday that I'd consider the chalk for now:

TEN - Tunsil
CLE - Wentz
SD - Buckner
DAL - Bosa
JAX - Ramsey
BAL - Stanley
SF - Goff
MIA - Jack
TB - Hargreaves
NYG - Lawson

I think those are generally the 10 safest guys although maybe one of the Bama DT's or Treadwell show up. Darron Lee as well. I still think CLE, DAL, and SF are obviously the wildcards.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Dane Brugler is draftnick and he did a mock on CBS yesterday that I'd consider the chalk for now:

TEN - Tunsil
CLE - Wentz
SD - Buckner
DAL - Bosa
JAX - Ramsey
BAL - Stanley
SF - Goff
MIA - Jack
TB - Hargreaves
NYG - Lawson

I think those are generally the 10 safest guys although maybe one of the Bama DT's or Treadwell show up. Darron Lee as well. I still think CLE, DAL, and SF are obviously the wildcards.

I said Ramsey from day one, so I have to stick with that.
corleoneAg99
AG
That's who id take as well but Bosa is fine.
corleoneAg99
AG
Eagles just put 2 and 36 on Bradford...wow.
Macarthur
I would be very surprised if Goff makes it to 7.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Eagles just put 2 and 36 on Bradford...wow.

This should make Cowboys fans happy. To be honest, Philly wasn't going to find a much better QB to actually start games for them. I'm betting they draft a QB and sit him for two years before jettisoning Bradford.
corleoneAg99
AG
It's also why you should invest in the position unless you want to play roulette every couple of years.
BassCowboy33
Does Jerry make a run at Mario Williams?
corleoneAg99
AG
Sturm says no.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Sturm says no.

In Sturm I trust.
DannyDuberstein
AG
In Sturm I trust. In Jerry I don't. Cowboy fans, prepare yourself for years of the Quincy, Chutch, Henson, Testeverde roulette wheel.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Don't forget Bledsoe! What great memories.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Don't forget Bledsoe! What great memories.

Bledsoe wasn't all that bad. He could pick teams apart if he was given 100% protection. He just had concrete blocks for legs and took eleventy billion sacks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Definitely not forgotten - who could forget that statue. I was just already exhausted by the time I got through Testeverde.

Soeaking of Boedsoe though, pocket presence and mobility is such a huge factor and a big reason why I like Goff. It's hard to make the case that a green Romo was better than Bledsoe at reading defenses or throwing the ball in 2006-2007, but his ability to sense pressure, move in the pocket and not be a sitting duck is really what changed everything with the offense when he took over.
jr15aggie
AG
Can't argue much with that. Romo's ability to move and improvise is how he became a star. Russell Wilson also benefited from this as he was thrown to the fire as a rookie. It definitely hides flaws.

I too think the time is now to get a QB, but I'm no scout and don't know if any are worthy. We've all said sitting behind Romo for a year or two would help any rookie QB.
BassCowboy33
Ticket is reporting that the Cowboys will cut Brandon Carr if he doesn't take a pay cut, which they do not expect him to.
corleoneAg99
AG
Wonder what that does to their cap figure and ability to spend...
BassCowboy33
Carr counts $12.7 million against the cap. If cut, the cap hit drops to $8 million.

The Brandon Carr Conundrum
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Carr counts $12.7 million against the cap. If cut, the cap hit drops to $8 million.

The Brandon Carr Conundrum
So if $8M is gone anyway then a round about case can be made that it's actually a $4.7M cap hit.

I don't think he's as bad as a lot of people think, Did the Cowboys overpay? Yes but at the time most people saw it as a solid signing. Considering the team's injury luck I think you gota hold on to him another year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
But you're also signed up to prolong the negative cap impact into 2017.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.