Wandavision Discussion Thread

194,195 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Saxsoon said:

imjustsayin said:

Also, the acting of these characters in the old style of acting (the cheesy overacting style and body movements)... I'm fairly impressed with acting.

Also, the "who's doing this to you Wanda?" Is that Captain Jimmy Woo from Ant Man and Wasp?

....and the commercials!! Just awesome.

Yeah it's Jimmy Woo

The fact that is the same couple in the commercials, some are speculating that they are her parents, especially because of the bomb ticking toaster
Yes, I commented to my wife that the ticking toaster was obviously something, but I didn't know what.

I'm think it was the same sound effect as the bomb that blew up Tony.

The fact that Strucker is involved it's Wanda and her powers , the future commercials are going to be interesting. Some speculate each commercial is related to various forms of trauma in her life
imjustsayin
AG
Saxsoon said:

YouBet said:

Saxsoon said:

imjustsayin said:

Also, the acting of these characters in the old style of acting (the cheesy overacting style and body movements)... I'm fairly impressed with acting.

Also, the "who's doing this to you Wanda?" Is that Captain Jimmy Woo from Ant Man and Wasp?

Yeah it's Jimmy Woo

The fact that is the same couple in the commercials, some are speculating that they are her parents, especially because of the bomb ticking toaster
Yes, I commented to my wife that the ticking toaster was obviously something, but I didn't know what.

I'm think it was the same sound effect as the bomb that blew up Tony.

The fact that Strucker is involved it's Wanda and her powers , the future commercials are going to be interesting. Some speculate each commercial is related to various forms of trauma in her life

Clever, if true... makes sense that she'd be trying to (re)create an "ideal world" in the form of classic "no problems in life" sitcoms where the only thing that breaks up the easy life of sitcoms... is the commercials.

Dr. Horrible
YouBet said:

Saxsoon said:

imjustsayin said:

Yeah it's Jimmy Woo

I didn't see it myself but a friend pointed out that the watch in the second commercial started ticking faster as well.
Maybe someone doing a second rewatch can validate.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm loving it, but I watched Nick at Night reruns when I'm a kid, so I'm definitely appreciating the nods to early sitcom. And the hints of something crazier at play, I look forward to seeing the mystery unfold.
Thanks and gig'em
No1home
Commercials

1) Toaster commercial is the ticking bomb that landed next to her and her brother as children, Stark written on the side, and they could only sit there waiting, wondering when it would explode.

2) Strucker Watch is from her and her brothers time with Stucker being medical experiments/test subjects.

Have no clue what 8-2-3 stand for. 23 might be related to number of movies, but I gotta think that there is a deeper meaning than that. Specially for it to keep popping up. It is an interesting show simply because you know it all has to be (believe it to be) an attempt to cover/hide from a different reality/truth.
YouBet
AG
No1home said:

Commercials

1) Toaster commercial is the ticking bomb that landed next to her and her brother as children, Stark written on the side, and they could only sit there waiting, wondering when it would explode.

2) Strucker Watch is from her and her brothers time with Stucker being medical experiments/test subjects.

Have no clue what 8-2-3 stand for. 23 might be related to number of movies, but I gotta think that there is a deeper meaning than that. Specially for it to keep popping up. It is an interesting show simply because you know it all has to be (believe it to be) an attempt to cover/hide from a different reality/truth.

Yes, that's it.

Is there any meaning behind the symbol on Vision's tie in E1? It's unusual and I'm wondering if that was something from the movies I don't recall.
rangerdanger
AG
I did not like the first episode at all. 2nd was substantially better and gave me enough interest to see what comes out next week. Overall though, I think this show is a little too "meta" for the casual Marvel movie goer like myself. That's fine though, I'm sure there is a large audience for this.
Ornithopter
AG
Watching the first two episodes, it's weird.

If it pays off, it'll be a good weird.
KidDoc
AG
I am all in. I'm 48 so didn't watch much of the Bewitched era shows but I find the concept of this being a mind trap of some sort very interesting.

IMO both Vision and Wanda suffer from the Superman problem of being TOO powerful. This is actually the main reason I've preferred Marvel over DC for the last 40 years (yes I am ignoring Dark Phoenix) . So a mindtrap of sorts seems like a good way to fight them.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Horrible
Was talking to someone today about the "weird" feeling on the show. So far, there is no antagonist, only a mystery. So you have to enjoy the mystery for now in place of an antagonist or else you won't like it so far.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did Wanda's accent completely disappear at some point between movies?

I completely forgot she had a thick accent in Age of Ultron.
TXAG 05
AG
YouBet said:

No1home said:

Commercials

Yes, that's it.

Is there any meaning behind the symbol on Vision's tie in E1? It's unusual and I'm wondering if that was something from the movies I don't recall.

I saw an article that talked about a comic with Vision in neighborhood family setting like this show and he had a tie with a diamond symbol on it
zooguy96
Couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it. If I wanted to watch Bewitched, I would. It was horrid. Couldn't get into it at all. Severely disappointed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
zooguy96 said:

Couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it. If I wanted to watch Bewitched, I would. It was horrid. Couldn't get into it at all. Severely disappointed.

The whole show isn't going to be like this.
Decay
AG
I'm very impressed with the way they filmed the first two episodes. Technically they are very good imitations of the quality of recording and broadcasting and I'm pretty sure they even gained a little fidelity and had sharper grayscale gradients in the second episode (60's era?) compared to the first (50's?)

I wonder how much of the outside world and/or previous memories Wanda has. They are completely aware of who and what they are, and know they don't fit into the town... But also don't seem to know a lot about anything.

One of my biggest questions is about Vision's work. If he's still alive somehow then it makes sense this might be some way to get him to do some sort of research or calculations... But we're thinking he's dead right? So why even bother making something for him to do?
Malachi Constant
AG
Decay said:

I'm very impressed with the way they filmed the first two episodes. Technically they are very good imitations of the quality of recording and broadcasting and I'm pretty sure they even gained a little fidelity and had sharper grayscale gradients in the second episode (60's era?) compared to the first (50's?)

Yeah this was awesome to see plus the camera angles and cuts all looked authentic to the period.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
zooguy96 said:

You did see, like.....all of the advertising for this show, right? How was any of this a shock?
AliasMan02
AG
I don't understand some people. I'm SO excited to see Marvel take a big swing like this, right out of the gate.

I thought both episodes were great. The nostalgia is cool, but they're doing a great job of laying in a layer of subtext that makes the whole thing feel wrong and a little menacing. In fact, I wish they had not hit the gas on it so much at the end of ep 2 and let it continue to simmer.

There's no happy ending at the finish line, either. Really looking forward to it.
AggieDub14
AG
I was excited for this show. It's completely different from what I expected but I'm enjoying it. Not sure I caught all the subtle background stuff going on but I like it all the same. Excited to see where they go with this.
double aught
AG
No love for Wanda in her magician assistant costume yet? Come on!
dave94
AG
Watched the Legends segments that are on Disney +, one for Wanda and one for Vision.

Really well done as you would expect, and even got a little teary eyed
Max Power
AG
The first episode felt like she was being interrogated with the questions Hahn was asking her. Episode two felt like she was manipulating her, impressing upon her how important what Dotty's opinion is. My theory is Hahn is the avatar for Hydra, and they're in her head.
rhutton125
AG
My theory is some kind of otherworldly entity (like a Doctor Strange villain, Cthon or Nightmare or something) is taking advantage of her trauma to control her mind and powers, and it's beginning to warp the real world, so Sword is monitoring her and trying to get her to snap out of it.

Or something.

Edit: no clue on the beekeeper though and I kinda like it that way. A show like this, I kinda want to be wrong
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

We have intentionally tried to strip that accent away for a couple of reasons," the brothers said.

"One is you'll notice at the beginning of Civil War that Black Widow is training her to be a spy, and two is she's been on the run, and one of the most distinguishing characteristics that she has is her accent.

"So if you're gonna try to disguise yourself or hide yourself or not be caught, you're going to try to limit those trigger warnings that would make it easy for someone to identify you, which would be inclusive of her accent.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a856587/avengers-infinity-war-directors-russo-brothers-scarlet-witch-accent/
M.C. Swag
AG

StringerBell
AG
I've obvious seen all the movies but am not a diehard marvel comics fan and i thought it was delightful. They're setting something up and I can't wait to see where they go with it.
The Debt
I saw on one discussion that each episode cost like $24mil to make....for 22-25mins of screentime. That's just insane. They must be paying Bettany and Olsen a truckload to do this.

But I've also heard they are using WV as the horse to carry Phase 4....as if it all relates to this show. Having not read the comics but definitely picking up the hydra hints, idk where they go or how they bring in more mutants. But we shall see.
Ornithopter
AG
The Debt said:

I saw on one discussion that each episode cost like $24mil to make....for 22-25mins of screentime. That's just insane. They must be paying Bettany and Olsen a truckload to do this.

But I've also heard they are using WV as the horse to carry Phase 4....as if it all relates to this show. Having not read the comics but definitely picking up the hydra hints, idk where they go or how they bring in more mutants. But we shall see.

Wanda is supposed to be in the next Doctor Strange movie, so that's a pretty direct the in. And I think Doctor Strange might be in the next Spiderman movie too.
MaroonStain
AG
She definitely started questioning her current state when she picked the red helicopter out of the bushes
"Thanks and Gig'em"
fig96
AG
Finished ep 2 last, I'm super intrigued but I can see why people who aren't into the MCU wouldn't be into this.

I loved the attention to detail, like how in ep 1 the sound flattened out when they went to the B/W screen during the Marvel intro. Like some of you I grew up on Nick at Nite, so seeing the very accurate homage to some of these shows is really great. The easter eggs are also plentiful, I'm planning to go back and watch and keep an eye out for the small details.

One random thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned, the early seasons of Bewitched (what ep 2 was based on) were in black and white then it switched to color later in its run. Not sure if that has any bearing on the shift into color at the end of ep 2.
Tanya 93
Do I need to see the Marvel movies before watching this?

I have seen the first Iron Man and the Captain America movie
Decay
AG
Tanya 93 said:

You'll probably be pretty confused... Moreso than the rest of us even.

Ultron, infinity war are a bare minimum.
Tanya 93
Decay said:

Tanya 93 said:

You'll probably be pretty confused... Moreso than the rest of us even.

Ultron, infinity war are a bare minimum.
Thank you
redline248
AG
I mean, at the very least you'll better understand who the characters are...Wanda in particular. On the other hand...I won't say it's absolutely necessary. You could probably get by with just some basic background info.

If you do feel like you want to watch the movies to better understand then you could probably limit it to

Avengers Age of Ultron
Civil War
Infinity War

...and Civil War could possibly be skipped, too
Tanya 93
All of these are on Disney+ right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.