Wandavision Discussion Thread

193,920 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe Agatha said that the runes blocked one from using magic against the person who put the runes up. I'd imagine flying isnt an offensive spell, so that's fine
amercer
AG
Well Wandas got part of an infinity stone in her, so I guess that's the power source.

I wasn't a math major, but part of infinity is still infinity, so she can probably do this all day.
YouBet
AG
They kind of explained this in the show though. Agatha is more of a "traditional" magic user in that she has to study, learn, and incant spells. It's a process. It's like learning a language.

The Scarlet Witch is really more of a sorcerer. Her magical abilities are innate and she can use magic at will without having to "learn" it. In the MCU, this is apparently a legend/myth/prophecy for someone to be able to use magic like Wanda can. This is according to Agatha's own words in the show.
JJxvi
AG
The episode where Monica Rambeaus "big plan" was to drive as fast and hard as possible toward the wall was way dumber than any magic system issues
atag
AG
JJxvi said:

The episode where Monica Rambeaus "big plan" was to drive as fast and hard as possible toward the wall was way dumber than any magic system issues
I liked it. I liked that it failed. Most of the time when they have these big plans and climactic music the plan works implausibly. I liked that sometimes the bad ideas are just bad ideas.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
MASAXET
AG
The Debt said:

MASAXET said:

Haven't caught up on the thread yet since watching the finale but have to say: my favorite part was the opening. After the debt threw his little temper tantrum last week the show crapped all over his complaint IN THE OPENING LINES

It validates my complaint in the opening lines. Ffs yall are dense. My complaint is the villain let's the hero go which would CLEARLY result in the villian's defeat.

She goes from having Wanda completely helpless to "turbo sorcerer supreme on the loose" and you lemmings just shake your head like "this is rational actions from a thinking villain who has outsmarted everyone for the duration of the show."

I have a better way to resolve the basement that even reasserts the honor of Wanda as a hero and doesnt make Agatha a fool or manufacture hubris to justify bad writing. If yall are interested...

But to continue with the bad writing...wanda and Agatha are flying casting magic, wanda unleashes, agatha absorbs. Agatha tries to haduken with her new SW powers and nothing comes out! Wanda's runes are in place! Dialogue. One major problem, if agatha cant use her powers within this space, how TF is she still flying? The moment those runes were up she should have Wile E Coyote'd down to westview.

The first rule of fantasy writing is that you have to maintain consistency with the rules you establish. Disney just tosses this out because we "need" to have a reveal in the air. Its shoddy writing. If someone other than disney/marvel told you these plot details you would say its amateurish. But because yall are a bunch of fanboys you refuse to apply any objective assessment to storyline.

This is a pretty piss poor defense of your temper tantrum
AgfromHOU
AG
amercer said:

she can probably do this all day.

I understood that reference
Average Joe
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, all living things includes all crops, plants, and even bacteria.
True, but crops, plants, and bacteria would all replenish rather quickly. Also, we didn't lose our advances in technology. We don't need near as much manual labor working farms or other industries to be as productive. It'll take a few years to adjust to the incident, but a fraction of the time to get back to the population we were at pre-snap.

I also imagine the first baby boomer generation would look like nothing compared to the first decade post-snap.
AgfromHOU
AG
The final fight is what I think of in Civil War over the airport scene. The airport scene is overrated and takes me out of the movie briefly.

The final three way fight was awesome and the choreography was as good as in Winter Soldier, if not better.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Funny how quickly you change the goalposts.

Your original tantrum was because she lets her go from the basement.

That was addressed point blank in the opening seconds of the finale, so now it's about her flying after the runes were cast.

It's ok to be wrong. Just admit it and move on. Don't dig a bigger hole.

You really didnt comprehend my original complaint at all, except that is was a complaint.

They built tension, a scenario where Wanda was helpless, then agatha let her go. The villain decides to give the hero a fighting chance, where we (the audience) know wanda will prevail.

Essentially making Wanda helpless became a mechanism to take her through her history.

"Hero, I have complete control over you, you live or die by my discretion, btw here are some tools of the trade that could be used against me if you get the upper hand, also i am going to reveal to you that you are the strongest entity in the universe....NOW, I'm going to let you go and give you a fighting chance with new magical knowledge and understanding of your capabilities.

....also, I'm going to torture your kids....this will all surely work out for me."

Please please please, BES, open a writing workshop
Capitol Ag
AG
The Debt said:

MASAXET said:

Haven't caught up on the thread yet since watching the finale but have to say: my favorite part was the opening. After the debt threw his little temper tantrum last week the show crapped all over his complaint IN THE OPENING LINES

It validates my complaint in the opening lines. Ffs yall are dense. My complaint is the villain let's the hero go which would CLEARLY result in the villian's defeat.

She goes from having Wanda completely helpless to "turbo sorcerer supreme on the loose" and you lemmings just shake your head like "this is rational actions from a thinking villain who has outsmarted everyone for the duration of the show."

I have a better way to resolve the basement that even reasserts the honor of Wanda as a hero and doesnt make Agatha a fool or manufacture hubris to justify bad writing. If yall are interested...

But to continue with the bad writing...wanda and Agatha are flying casting magic, wanda unleashes, agatha absorbs. Agatha tries to haduken with her new SW powers and nothing comes out! Wanda's runes are in place! Dialogue. One major problem, if agatha cant use her powers within this space, how TF is she still flying? The moment those runes were up she should have Wile E Coyote'd down to westview.

The first rule of fantasy writing is that you have to maintain consistency with the rules you establish. Disney just tosses this out because we "need" to have a reveal in the air. Its shoddy writing. If someone other than disney/marvel told you these plot details you would say its amateurish. But because yall are a bunch of fanboys you refuse to apply any objective assessment to storyline.
She can still fly, she just cannot cast spells. Isn't that what Agatha told Wanda in her basement? A witch doesn't need to cast a spell to fly. They could still use the magic that they have access to but just cannot use it against another witch in her runes. That's how I interpreted it.
DallasTeleAg
amercer said:

Well Wandas got part of an infinity stone in her, so I guess that's the power source.

I wasn't a math major, but part of infinity is still infinity, so she can probably do this all day.
Yeah... but a power source to do what? This is where I think the MCU has failed in explaining her power. Again, not a comic book guy so know nothing about the character, as one shouldn't have to if you execute effectively.

From where we started, Wanda gains her powers by being experimented on by the Mind Stone. This seems to give her telekinetic and telepathic like powers. Okay, I'm following. That makes sense.

Now we hit Wandavision, where she not only has those abilities but seemingly also has the abilities of altering reality. Unless everything she does is a telepathic projection onto the observer, she is affecting matter. Why does this make sense? I don't know, it's not explained.

We are now told she is some kind of prophesied "Scarlet Witch", who not only has telekinetic and telepathic powers, but just all around magical powers of a magnitude greater than the sorcerer supreme. This magic still seems to originate from a different source than Agatha's magical abilities, which seems to differ from the source of Strange's. Was Wanda capable of being the Scarlet Which before she absorbed power form the Mind Stone? Did the Mind Stone power just supercharge her innate magical abilities? We aren't told this.

Dr. Strange - Wizard
Agatha - Witch
Wanda - Scarlet Witch
Ebony Maw - Sorcerer of some kind
Loki - Witch? (His mother mentions she was raised by witches, so assuming she taught him?)

Those are 5 "magic" users in this universe, off the top of my head. The only one we are given ANY semblance of magical parameters around what he does is Dr. Strange. His world seems to be basically similar to Harry Potter's soft magic system. Learn a bunch of hand movements and focus your mind correctly. Great! You can now do anything you need to do if you know the proper hand movements and mind-exercise. Is this power unlimited or does he draw from a finite source that needs recharging? Doesn't matter; Marvel movie.

Again, all for the purposes of discussion. I am fine with accepting this in the confines of a Marvel movie and just mindlessly enjoying it. However, to pretend it is anything well thought out or deep is just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm sure if we run into anything that is too big of an issue, the writers will come up with some form of Deus ex machina to explain or fix the problem.
amercer
AG
Yeah, I don't know if the comics ever really come to a logical framework for all the abilities. I think the magical one are especially squishy.

I read a lot of x men as a kid. Literally the explanation for any power (no matter how weird or immense) was "oh it's the mutant gene". As a scientist who has spent the last couple of decades messing with all sorts of genes, that explanation is a little thin, but I let it go
amercer
AG
I will say that the vision on vision philosophy showdown in the library is a top 5 MCU moment for me. I might be a little too into Greek paradoxes though...
Saxsoon
AG
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
aggiedata
AG
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

Ridiculous hot.
aggiedata
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but we knew Wanda would win the fight. She is the hero, and this is Marvel. Not to mention she's aready confirmed for Doctor Strange 2.

And it seems continue to evade you that she was TRYING to get her angry and use her powers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgfromHOU said:

The final fight is what I think of in Civil War over the airport scene. The airport scene is overrated and takes me out of the movie briefly.

The final three way fight was awesome and the choreography was as good as in Winter Soldier, if not better.

Couldn't agree more. The final fight is the only reason Civil War isn't completely tossed out for me. I never cared for anything in the movie aside from that.
Saxsoon
AG
aggiedata said:

There was something there and I couldn't identify it until now.
rhutton125
AG
This isn't to excuse any lazy writing, but if there's anyone's powers who can get away with being vague and undefined, it's Wanda's. In the comics they eventually settled on that they "affect probability" - so if you hit an adamantium plate, and she hexes it, that plate just happens to now have a weakness that you shatter.

But that has been extrapolated out into a thousand different things. What are the odds that a person can fly? Etc. When she starts to lose control of her powers, Tony Stark appears drunk (despite being sober for 20 years) in front of Congress, a once-dead ally appears again and causes a disaster, Ultron happens to have inhabited Vision for some time, the Kree happen to invade.

So it's BS, but she's got do-anything BS all throughout her history.

And as a side note... I think the best action sequence in Civil War is the apartment fight / Bucky/Cap/Black Panther chase. Love that ****. And almost all of it is practical stunts and effects!
bearamedic99
AG
Saxsoon said:

Is the symbol on her belt buckle an actual symbol for the character or just decoration?
AggieLitigator
bearamedic99 said:

Saxsoon said:

Is the symbol on her belt buckle an actual symbol for the character or just decoration?

I don't have an answer for your question but damn she's gorgeous.
C@LAg
bearamedic99 said:

Saxsoon said:

no. her symbol is typically the headpiece

or

mazag08
AG
The finale underwhelmed because I let myself get overhyped by all the Screencrush type stuff.

Like TCTTS said, we were led to believe there was big payoff. Ultimately, we got a payoff that we should have expected halfway through. It's part Marvel's part and part mine.

I just wanted more. But I know they have a plan, and they've earned the trust. It just sucks waiting week after week to finally learn more after waiting through a pandemic. And we get.. that..
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Saxsoon said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/lywv3x/elizabeth_olsen_has_been_misquoted_and_its_making/

Quote:

Elizabeth Olsen never said there was a "Luke Skywalker Mando level cameo". She was asked about casting that hasn't leaked yet in an interview she did on Feb 2.
Quote:

When asked if WandaVision has anything similar in store namely a casting that she can't believe hasn't leaked yet Olsen gave us a quick, "Yes." And though she dared not offer any specifics, she did share with a laugh that "I'm really excited" for viewers to see what (or who) is coming.
She never said Luke Skywalker level cameo. There are 2 quotes by her in the article and she says "yes" (about casting that hasn't leaked) and that she's excited.

This is an instructive lesson on why most of the clickbait artists pretending to be journalists or insiders should be ignored.

I enjoy entertainment message boards for discussion with other viewers who notice things in the show or movie that I didn't, or validate my takes or whatever. But it's odd to me that some people will be disappointed because the show didn't deliver on fake spoilers and fan-fiction from 3rd party content & traffic generators. Spoiler culture has really taken on a life of its own. Some people enjoy thinking they know what's coming up more than they enjoy whatever they're watching. And even pre-internet, we had those friends or relatives who ruined any viewing experience by constantly trying to prove that they knew what was coming up. So it's not an entirely new characteristic, but I guess that's a real job for some folks now. But I pretty much ignore any "insider" or deep thought analyst who reminds you to please like and share or leave a tip.
Ryan34
AG
I'm conflicted as well. Olsen, Bettany, and Hahn were great. But all the teases and headfakes took away from what was a really good story. Wandavision was more "real" and had more emotion than perhaps any other MCU product we've seen thus far.

The cameo remarks, Bettany's comments, and constant hints in the show (Dottie, devil, aerospace engineer, etc.) that turned out to just be head fakes. Worst of all was Fietro. They used an immensely popular character to imply an X-Men crossover, only to culminate in a boner joke.

They fed the flames of fan speculation and dug themselves an impossible hole, which detracts from what was a really good show. I think it would have been better without some of the misdirection though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

The finale underwhelmed because I let myself get overhyped by all the Screencrush type stuff.
I think you posted this while I was taking my sweet time on my last too-long post. But that's kind of what I was getting at.

The hype sites and fan theories shouldn't take away from what we're actually watching. I'm pretty shameless about reading spoilers and theories for movies that are far off, but for TV shows I prefer to just watch and discuss the content as it's presented. I was pretty disciplined about avoiding hype and spoilers for this show (partly because I didn't think I'd even be interested before it debuted). And I get the impression I enjoyed the show more than if I had hung on the 3rd party rumors and theories.
imjustsayin
AG
WandaVision is what Wonder Woman wished it could have been.
rhutton125
AG
I'll be binging this with a friend soon - curious to see their reaction with zero speculation vs. the reaction of people who read all the theories. I think it will probably be more enjoyable as a binge.
PatAg
AG
imjustsayin said:

WandaVision is what Wonder Woman wished it could have been.
well written, acted, and filmed?
Saxsoon
AG
AggieLitigator said:

bearamedic99 said:

Saxsoon said:

I don't have an answer for your question but damn she's gorgeous.

What was the question?
YouBet
AG
Harry Lime said:

Saxsoon said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/lywv3x/elizabeth_olsen_has_been_misquoted_and_its_making/

Quote:

Elizabeth Olsen never said there was a "Luke Skywalker Mando level cameo". She was asked about casting that hasn't leaked yet in an interview she did on Feb 2.
Quote:

When asked if WandaVision has anything similar in store namely a casting that she can't believe hasn't leaked yet Olsen gave us a quick, "Yes." And though she dared not offer any specifics, she did share with a laugh that "I'm really excited" for viewers to see what (or who) is coming.
She never said Luke Skywalker level cameo. There are 2 quotes by her in the article and she says "yes" (about casting that hasn't leaked) and that she's excited.

This is an instructive lesson on why most of the clickbait artists pretending to be journalists or insiders should be ignored.

I enjoy entertainment message boards for discussion with other viewers who notice things in the show or movie that I didn't, or validate my takes or whatever. But it's odd to me that some people will be disappointed because the show didn't deliver on fake spoilers and fan-fiction from 3rd party content & traffic generators. Spoiler culture has really taken on a life of its own. Some people enjoy thinking they know what's coming up more than they enjoy whatever they're watching. And even pre-internet, we had those friends or relatives who ruined any viewing experience by constantly trying to prove that they knew what was coming up. So it's not an entirely new characteristic, but I guess that's a real job for some folks now. But I pretty much ignore any "insider" or deep thought analyst who reminds you to please like and share or leave a tip.

Completely agree which is why I never watch any of that type of stuff. It ruins the experience and I simply can't comprehend people that want to know what happens before they actually watch it. It's completely nonsensical but whatevs.

I obviously speculate on stuff myself and did it on this thread but I'm also not going to go out of my way looking for the answers. Plus, I can simply abandon the thread if it gets too spoilery.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.