Wandavision Discussion Thread

193,947 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I much prefer a show that keeps me guessing (without crossing the threshold into nonsense) than one that I see every turn coming from a while away.

I'm still very high on this show a couple days after the finale. The weekly speculation was a blast and I don't mind a bit that the more extravagant theories didn't play out. A bigger bad villain or crazy cameo might have been cool, or it might have fallen flat. There's no guarantee introducing Nightmare or CThon or Mephisto would have been a net positive on the show's story.

The only misdirection I'm annoyed by is Fietro, since the choice of actor was meaningless to any character in Wandavision, but very meaningful to us watching the show. But I'll let it pass because everything else about the show was so well done and, let's be honest, a random new actor would have been totally nonsensical.

I wonder if they hoped to get the original MCU quicksilver actor and he said no so they settled on the Fox one because, as nonsensical as it is, it had more impact than using some new person who's never been quicksilver before.
Thanks and gig'em
Decay
AG
I don't mind it. Gave us a lot to debate and talk about which is part of the fun nowadays anyway right?
heddleston
AG
I'm cool with there not being a secret big bad reveal because it truly makes this show a story arc about Wanda and Vision, and not just some pretense to the next movie. We were able to get a tiny glimpse into the multiverse without making this show purely "hey here's the multiverse, go see Dr Strange 2 next year!"
Phat32
AG
So what are the Scarlet Witch's powers vs what Wanda being Wanda? Is she close to Captain Marvel or Thor?
redline248
AG
yukmonkey said:

So what are the Scarlet Witch's powers vs what Wanda being Wanda? Is she close to Captain Marvel or Thor?
Based on this show, she's basically half an infinity gauntlet. She's frozen/rewound time, changed reality, controlled minds... I suppose you could make an argument that her energy blasts are a form of the power stone, but I'm struggling to come up with an example of the space stone.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but we knew Wanda would win the fight. She is the hero, and this is Marvel. Not to mention she's aready confirmed for Doctor Strange 2.

And it seems continue to evade you that she was TRYING to get her angry and use her powers.
no sht sherlock, of course the audience knew she was going to win the fight. But the villain doesnt....drill that into your thick skull with a quarter inch bit.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Am I the only one who thought Agatha was kinda hot?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, the villain thought she was gonna win? Ya don't say?
C@LAg
easttexasaggie04 said:

Am I the only one who thought Agatha was kinda hot?
agnes was hot.
agatha had a kind of older Siouxsie and the Banshees vibe going so less attractive.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Oops... that's who I meant! Haha
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
heddleston said:

I'm cool with there not being a secret big bad reveal because it truly makes this show a story arc about Wanda and Vision, and not just some pretense to the next movie. We were able to get a tiny glimpse into the multiverse without making this show purely "hey here's the multiverse, go see Dr Strange 2 next year!"
I saw some hints of that on other boards. Some people were only watching because they thought Wandavision would be required viewing for the big setup or reset of the next phase. But I don't think major studios are ready to do that on a subscription service yet. With no clue about the actual subscription numbers, I would imagine most of us are still on free trial or discounted subscriptions, so Disney+ is trying to demonstrate that they're willing to invest in quality stand-alone content. I think they've made some pretty solid demonstrations of that w/ the Mandalorian and Wandavision.
Ornithopter
AG
redline248 said:

yukmonkey said:

Based on this show, she's basically half an infinity gauntlet. She's frozen/rewound time, changed reality, controlled minds... I suppose you could make an argument that her energy blasts are a form of the power stone, but I'm struggling to come up with an example of the space stone.

She did a little bit of teleporting, so you get that too.

She really is a sort of localized infinity gauntlet.
Ryan34
AG
Harry Lime said:

Saxsoon said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/lywv3x/elizabeth_olsen_has_been_misquoted_and_its_making/

Quote:

Elizabeth Olsen never said there was a "Luke Skywalker Mando level cameo". She was asked about casting that hasn't leaked yet in an interview she did on Feb 2.
Quote:

When asked if WandaVision has anything similar in store namely a casting that she can't believe hasn't leaked yet Olsen gave us a quick, "Yes." And though she dared not offer any specifics, she did share with a laugh that "I'm really excited" for viewers to see what (or who) is coming.
She never said Luke Skywalker level cameo. There are 2 quotes by her in the article and she says "yes" (about casting that hasn't leaked) and that she's excited.

This is an instructive lesson on why most of the clickbait artists pretending to be journalists or insiders should be ignored.

I enjoy entertainment message boards for discussion with other viewers who notice things in the show or movie that I didn't, or validate my takes or whatever. But it's odd to me that some people will be disappointed because the show didn't deliver on fake spoilers and fan-fiction from 3rd party content & traffic generators. Spoiler culture has really taken on a life of its own. Some people enjoy thinking they know what's coming up more than they enjoy whatever they're watching. And even pre-internet, we had those friends or relatives who ruined any viewing experience by constantly trying to prove that they knew what was coming up. So it's not an entirely new characteristic, but I guess that's a real job for some folks now. But I pretty much ignore any "insider" or deep thought analyst who reminds you to please like and share or leave a tip.

I think the big difference is that this show was all about theories from the outset. They started in an old school sitcom and we were left to guess what was really going on. All along the way, the show fanned the flames and dropped hint after hint at something bigger going on, peaking with the Evan Peters tease of an X-Men crossover.

It was a really good show, but I think they overdid it with the headfakes. I think people will appreciate the show even more a second time through when those distractions are out of the way.
rhutton125
AG
If I have one beef with the show, it isn't the amount of headfakes - just that we all had Agnes pegged as the villain the moment she was cast. So that it was Agatha all along was kind of... too simple to believe, at first.

Good work on her "wake up" conversation with Vision in the car though, that was a very successful deflection.
YouBet
AG
yukmonkey said:

CA is an ant compared to her.

Thor is closer to her than CA. Someone else can debate that power comparison here, but she is effectively one of the most powerful metas on the planet.
redline248
AG
YouBet said:

yukmonkey said:

Thor is closer to her than CA. Someone else can debate that power comparison here, but she is effectively one of the most powerful metas on the planet.
...but what about CM?
Claude!
redline248 said:

YouBet said:

yukmonkey said:

...but what about CM?
Well, it's tough, because Captain Marvel's greatest power - using "Just a Girl" as meta-commentary fight scene music - would be of limited effectiveness against Wanda.
MooreTrucker
rhutton125
AG
Wanda is kind of a glass cannon. She can alter reality and make all kinds of weird **** happen, but if someone hurls a car at her when she's not expecting it, she'll get flattened.

Captain Marvel is more like Iron Man or Thor - she seems to be strong and durable and can go toe to toe with just about anyone. But that's probably the extent of it - she can't trap you in a nightmare or anything bizarre like that.
MASAXET
AG
The Debt said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but we knew Wanda would win the fight. She is the hero, and this is Marvel. Not to mention she's aready confirmed for Doctor Strange 2.

And it seems continue to evade you that she was TRYING to get her angry and use her powers.
no sht sherlock, of course the audience knew she was going to win the fight. But the villain doesnt....drill that into your thick skull with a quarter inch bit.
So your criticism ultimately devolves down to "why did the villain ever try to confront the hero in the first place?! Obviously she'd lose! No one is that dumb so it's lazy writing."

Interesting take, if so.
redline248
AG
After this experience, if Wanda went back in time she'd turn all Thanos's missiles into nerf darts and continue crushing him.
G Martin 87
AG
I think we can assume that The Debt is not a James Bond fan.
bdenby
AG
"If you're not a witch, why do you dress like one?"
Saxsoon
AG
Fury when he gets the update.

"Does she look like a witch!"
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
G Martin 87
AG
Did you dress her up like this?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know what they call Captain America in Paris?
Ryan34
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You know what they call Captain America in Paris?

Captain Planet?
Phat32
AG
Steve Rogers with CHEEEESE
YNWA_AG
AG
PatAg
AG
Did anyone else get some serious CW vibes from the last episode as well? Visually mostly
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm assuming that's meant to be a negative (never seen a CW show), which I would disagree with. I thought it looked about as good as any MCU movie.
C@LAg
It's not too surprising, then, to learn that Monica originally played a much larger role in the WandaVision finale. Director Matt Shakman told Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin on the Fatman Beyond podcast that they originally shot an extended subplot in the finale "where Darcy, Monica, and Ralph meet up with [Wanda's] kids in Agatha's house, and they think they should steal the Darkhold from the basement because the kids had seen it when they were down there being held hostage by Agatha." While trying to steal the Darkhold, they would have squared off with Agatha's familiar, Senor Scratchy, who would have undergone "an American Werewolf in London transmutation" into a demon creature. That would have precipitated a "Goonies set-piece styled chase" for all the characters.

Although the scene was shot, it was never finished; Shakman and the creative team ultimately decided it was a "huge detour" for a show that is essentially about Wanda and Vision. And that's fair. Still, it did kind of end up feeling like Monica Rambeau was only in WandaVision to get some of her backstory out of the way before Captain Marvel 2 shows up in a year or two. You can watch the full conversation with Matt Shakman below:

amercer
AG
Would have been cool, but probably was a good idea to cut it.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.