Wandavision Discussion Thread

193,949 Views | 2411 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
Capitol Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe a time branch is created by messing with time, whether on purpose or by accident where a universe evolves naturally?

So like:

Universe A: I travel to the quantum realm, come out and steal a dog, I've created a time branch where that dog doesn't exist. But that time branch is still in Universe A. So I have created multiple alternate realities in Universe A by my quantum shenanigans. I guess the question is whether that alternate reality existed before I arrived there, but we're probably not going to settle that today.

Universe B: Dogs never evolved and everyone has raccoons as pets. Universe B is similar to Universe A except for this one small thing, but that small thing wasn't done by any sort of conscious time traveling stuff. Like in 'Into the Spiderverse' where we have a Loony Tunes Universe and a Noir universe or whatever.

Maybe?

Also thanks to everyone willing to let this conversation go, I'm just trying to understand how the MCU might do the Multiverse thing.

(Edit: amazing that this post is post 616 in the thread)
It's a sign!!!!

Yes, you seem to have an overall grip of the situation.
degreedy
AG
This has been touched on, but I think the butterfly effect will prevail heavily in the Multiverse.
CoachRTM
AG
NPH- said:

This has been touched on, but I think the butterfly effect will prevail heavily in the Multiverse.

I mean, that's partially been the formula for Marvel

1. Do some heroic thing
2. Oh no, what were the repercussions of the heroic thing?
awall11
AG
Far From Home isn't the first mention of a multiverse. It is mentioned in Dr. Strange.
degreedy
AG
CoachRTM said:

NPH- said:

I mean, that's partially been the formula for Marvel

1. Do some heroic thing
2. Oh no, what were the repercussions of the heroic thing?
well yes and no. not namely in the sense that it changes everything from the past as WE know it.

this thought just popped into my head... perhaps this is how they address the Black Panther/Boseman issue.

Maybe T'Chaka doesn't kill N'Jobu, leading to a different path for Killmonger, who can possibly sometime claim the title of the Blank Panther in a more noble fashion.

now that I say that... this is exactly how they are bringing Loki back. He obviously died in Infinity Wars, and the infinity stone allowed him to leave that reality/timeline to a new one. Marvel has shown that it can get creative in addressing character deaths... why not have trust that they can get creative in addressing the actors death as well.
bobinator
AG
I think part of my confusion is the difference between a dimension, like we see in Dr. Strange, and a universe.
degreedy
AG
my take is a dimension is a layer of our reality/universe that we can't see (i.e. 2D scrolling games characters can't conceive what a 3d game/dimension would look like).

a universe is a totally separate entity/jar. to an earthworm, their single jar is their own self-contained universe. a separate jar with different earthworms is a totally separate, self contained universe.

I'm talking out of my ass but can you see my drift?
redline248
AG
Oh we goin' full on nerd up in here!

The easiest way, I think, to consider a multiverse is what happened in Spider-verse. In Universe A Peter Parker is spiderman, but in Universe B there is a talking pig who is spiderman, and maybe no one even named Peter Parker.

In time travel stuff, Universe A Peter Parker Prime goes back in time and steps on the radioactive spider, and then Peter Parker Beta never becomes spiderman. And there are no talking pigs. Assume everything else happens the same to Peter Parker Beta, but he ends up just getting killed by Doc Oc the first time he sees him.
bobinator
AG
I think we seem to be in agreement on (or at least I finally understand maybe) what a multiverse is, so my new question is how would that get brought into WandaVision?
texasaggie04
AG
Obviously lots of rumors that Mephisto will be the big bad in this storyline. Does he have a history in the comics with Daredevil? Maybe that's how we get introduced to him, and then he'll eventually be the legal counsel for Peter Parker in that next movie.
Saxsoon
AG
bobinator said:

I think we seem to be in agreement on (or at least I finally understand maybe) what a multiverse is, so my new question is how would that get brought into WandaVision?

I think the bubble is a pocket universe in this case within the larger prime universe. Same principles of the multiverse just small scale
Capitol Ag
AG
bobinator said:

In a way she's already created an alternative reality in Westview. Granted,this maybe a stretch from a different universe but it seems that we might be headed down that path and this alt world concept is part of that.

Edit: Saxsoon beat me to it and explained it better too.
bobinator
AG
Maybe, but like... so what? That wouldn't mean much for our story at large if Wanda is inside her own tiny universe right?

EDIT: Other than just introducing the mechanics of another universe, I guess. Which even that I guess would serve as groundwork for a movie that's going to dive more into the multiverse.
TCTTS
AG
Right now, no. But something could easily go (even more) wrong and her little pocket universe could, say, lead to some kind of rip in space and time that leads to the multiverse or whatever.
bobinator
AG
Sorry if some of these are dumb questions, just trying to wrap my head around what could happen so that I understand it. I hate having to go read on the internet for an explanation for something I just watched.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Right now, no. But something could easily go (even more) wrong and her little pocket universe could, say, lead to some kind of rip in space and time that leads to the multiverse or whatever.
Considering her ability is Chaos Magic this would make sense.
redline248
AG
bobinator said:

Sorry if some of these are dumb questions, just trying to wrap my head around what could happen so that I understand it. I hate having to go read on the internet for an explanation for something I just watched.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it, too much. There are always issues with these theoretical science-y things that movies and comics and tv shows do. Trying to understand the theoretical rules, which are usually sketchy to start, can be a major pain. Like, War Machine and Ant-Man in Endgame levels of confusion.
C@LAg
1. In Marvel COMICS (so this does not necessarily apply to the MCU but it still works) any changes to timelines ALSO result/are tied to a new Universe, regardless of past commonalities.

That is just how they have dealt with storylines because of all the retcons,. changes, inconsistencies, etc.

The new numbered Universe does not come into existence until a past or future event is changed from what we "know" to date.

That is why there are an infinite # of multiverse universes - to accommodate all eventualities. Note, Just because something CAN happen, does not mean it ever will. it is only until it DOES happen that a new Universe is created.

2. We have been referring to Wanda's "world" as a pocket universe for discussion sake. But we have no proof one way or the other whether it is a stand-alone universe or just resides in ours, separated by her "field".

It could just be a force field bubble (of sorts) where she is impacting the perception of everyone within the bubble.

This could all resolve within "our" universe.

But yes, it also could be a pocket universe completely separate from ours.

Now, tying into the "multiverse of madness" (and assuming #2 is the correct interpretation)....

3. Wanda's powers are such that she can manipulate and rewrite reality. if the overall story here does not resolve in a positive way (say, the "kids" are taken away or she becomes aware they are not real) she could then have a true psychotic break that then breaks reality allowing access to and spillover from alternative universes.

TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

Now, tying into the "multiverse of madness" (and assuming #2 is the correct interpretation)....

3. Wanda's powers are such that she can manipulate and rewrite reality. if the overall story here does not resolve in a positive way (say, the "kids" are taken away or she becomes aware they are not real) she could then have a true psychotic break that then breaks reality allowing access to and spillover from alternative universes.

Thanks for the breakdown, and all good to know. My money is on the bold above.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I read Wanda eliminates all (or nearly all) mutants with her reality-warping powers in the comics.

Would be funny if she used her powers to make them exist in the MCU as part of the show.

Also, I'm sure someone came up with this already, but if Wanda is in multiverse of madness, it would be amazing if we got a glimpse of the Fox X-Men verse as existing in one of those parallel universes.

I hear we're getting all the Spider-Man's in the next Spider-Man movie, so why not a brief nod to the acquired and retired X-men universe in multiverse of madness? Have Deadpool leap out of it and into our universe with a clever quip or in the post credits scene.
Thanks and gig'em
C@LAg
Aggie_Journalist said:

I read Wanda eliminates all (or nearly all) mutants with her reality-warping powers in the comics.

Would be funny if she used her powers to make them exist in the MCU as part of the show.

Also, I'm sure someone came up with this already, but if Wanda is in multiverse of madness, it would be amazing if we got a glimpse of the Fox X-Men verse as existing in one of those parallel universes.

I hear we're getting all the Spider-Man's in the next Spider-Man movie, so why not a brief nod to the acquired and retired X-men universe in multiverse of madness? Have Deadpool leap out of it and into our universe with a clever quip or in the post credits scene.

The funny thing is that of all the major comic groups in Marvel comics (the Avengers, Spider-man, the mutants, etc). the mutants are the absolute worse as far as time travel, multiverse crossing, inter-dimensional shenanigans are concerns.

Seriously. I would LOVE a comic series when the rest of the Marvel universe comes down hard on the mutants for their overall ****ery with the timelines and whatnot.
sburg2007
So do we know if there are one or two episodes dropping tonight?
Post removed:
by user
C@LAg
sburg2007 said:

pretty sure just 1/week other than the 1st week.
AMW2010
AG
sburg2007 said:

I've been wondering that, all the web things they are gonna drop 2 episodes because of all the leaks
Van Buren Boy
AG
Those pictures of young Vision during the theme song.

I appreciate that they didn't use the "who's at the door" thing as a cliffhanger to the next episode.
Saxsoon
AG
She recast Pietro?!

Feige you mother****er
Saxsoon
AG
Got damn! Incredible episode. I am in love with Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris). I would be completely fine with a spin off series X-Files style with her, Jimmy Woo, and Darcy.

Excellent opening and the child vision got me rolling

Something is hinky with the director

Nice callback with calling the anomaly the hex

She doesn't know what is happening but she is also perpetuating the whole thing and was definitely in a villainous light this episode

I can't believe the ****ing balls of Kevin Feige to bring him in at the end. Size of Texas big.
C@LAg
And thank god the episode was 38 minutes long before the credits.

That was a lot of story ground covered in one episode.

agnes is definitely responsible for both giving and taking the dog in order to force the boys to change/grow up.

This weeks commercial:
Lagos, for when you made a mess you didn't mean to.
Ouch.

My favorite detail:
Credits rolling, they start arguing, she waves her hands in anger and the credits blitz out.
C@LAg
Saxsoon said:

She doesn't know what is happening but she is also perpetuating the whole thing and was definitely in a villainous light this episode

given that the kids aging and the dog dying both appear to be outside her control, it is more likely she is powering the "anomaly" but definitely not controlling it.
AMW2010
AG
So when the episodes were slow I didn't mind the week to week, but now that they are speeding up I'm like I want moreeeee! If this was a stand alone movie it would have crushed it!

Monica's X-ray was white... wonder if she has powers now.

Who is the aerospace engineer? People say that's a reed Richards nod

This show was based in the 80/90's? The whole recast would be because that's the version he played in days of future past.

Sword director is a dick

And when she controls everyone to put the guns on him that was awesomeeeeee

Also that commercial, is the brand significant? I understand the words in the commercial but not sure I've even heard the brand in relation to the mcu
dave94
AG
Wow, great episode.

I honestly thought it was gonna be the other one (of that character) when I saw the back view.

Such a great job on that.
AMW2010
AG
Oh and also what's with captain marvel?

In present time when anyone speaks her name they get pissed..... someone asked furry about her and he's like don't envoke her name... and when they ask Monica about her she says something and rolls her eyes
dave94
AG
Oh, and I checked...this counted as episode 5 even though it was long.
C@LAg
AMW2010 said:

.. someone asked furry about her
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Nick_Furry_(Earth-8311)

Nick Furry, Agent of SHEEP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.