*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,042 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Fenrir said:

A little cherry picking. Demon Slayer is a cultural phenomenon over there. The second highest grossing movie of 2020 would have barely squeaked into 2019 top 10.

If that level of a movie is needed to resurrect the movie theater experience in the US, theaters may be in big trouble.

Is Demon Slayer playing in the US? Is this a good movie? Parasite was sooooo bad so I'm skeptical
MBAR
AG
fig96 said:

It's not the technical aspect, it's the feel.

I don't care how good your system is, it can't replicate the feel of "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." then that first John Williams hit in a darkened theater.
Maybe, but I tend to think this is by far the most overrated aspect of movie going.
TCTTS
AG
This is huge...

jimscott85
AG
Cuomo's on the hot seat from the nursing home fiasco, prolonged closures and overall mismanagement over the course of the last 12 months. He will hopefully have his emergency powers removed and the state can proceed with expanded reopening. Newsom is under fire for many of the same reasons.

Black Widow is currently the line in the sand. Disney talking heads are opposed to a Disney+ release or even a hybrid release as of last week. Fingers crossed the numbers continue to fall. Experts are beginning to float the idea of herd immunity by April. As long as CA and NY don't backtrack on their opening plans, there's good reason for Black Widow to test the waters.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed on all accounts. Gonna be interesting to see this play out. I went from thinking Black Widow had no chance to keep that May slot, to now being cautiously optimistic. That said, I feel like this is all going to fall on LA at this point, and right now the only thing I'm relatively confident in is that they'll find a way to overthink it and screw it up.
nosoupforyou
AG
if Black Widow stays - then Top Gun 2 stays in July, right? Really hope they keep it where it is
TCTTS
AG
I would assume so, yes. But different studios could mean potentially different strategies. We'll have to wait and see.
MBAR
AG
If you're Disney and you've waited this long with Black Widow, are you really going to go with it with theaters taht are 25% capacity? I'm skeptical still.
TCTTS
AG
Black Widow releases two months and two days from March 5th, which is a significant enough amount of time to potentially jump to 50% capacity, if not well past that. I think it all depends on these March variants that may or may not hit before we can get more vaccinated.
cone
AG
you'd think they'd want something with less investment to prove the concept that people even want to go back to theaters in significant numbers, regardless of pandemic circumstance over the next six months

also skeptical
nosoupforyou
AG
cone said:

you'd think they'd want something with less investment to prove the concept that people even want to go back to theaters in significant numbers, regardless of pandemic circumstance over the next six months

also skeptical

China is back - breaking box office records with a vengeance- so no reason we won't be back ourselves
jimscott85
AG
nosoupforyou said:

if Black Widow stays - then Top Gun 2 stays in July, right? Really hope they keep it where it is
Unfortunately, it's about Black Widow staying AND performing. There's enough time in between for TG2 to get bumped if performance isn't observably beneficial to the industry.

Disney is in a good position to leave Black Widow in it's current spot. Disney+ has outperformed on its subscriber base and they aren't exactly going to lose subscribers if Black Widow hits theaters first. At least I hope that's the case.

From a recent commentary on the topic:

Quote:

we have acknowledged that the three top moviegoing cities remaining closedNYC, Los Angeles, and San Franciscocreates a high level of near-term uncertainty around the Hollywood film slate. While we predicted last month that any film on the calendar through June could be at risk of additional delays should those three cities not reopen in time, this NYC reopening news could help to provide incremental slate stability. Along with NYC contributing about 7% of overall 2019 box office revenues, having theaters open in that city would allow for movie reviews to be written by local media outletsboth of which are important considerations for studios in whether or not to release a film or delay it until a later date.
If LA and San Fran can't get it together, there could still be some issues. However, the numbers in CA seem to be trending even better than the rest of the country (whether that's a real or artificial trend remains to be seen). CA metro areas will struggle to keep things closed and keep people happy. Studios and other industry players could threaten to move future production to other states as a negotiating tactic. Texas and other southern states won't be shy to offer up incentives to produce upcoming films.

Even if LA, San Fran and NYC open up to 50% or less, the right timing could still make up for the lost capacity. If the theatrical release of Black Widow isn't challenged by other blockbusters, theater chains can run the movie on more screens for longer weekends to accommodate the capacity issues.

All we need is one film to provide the basis for some analytics to determine whether customer appetite is being pushed down by 1) the pandemic or 2) the prevalence of alternative viewing options.
fig96
AG
It feels like having the Disney+ option available makes a theatrical Black Widow release less risky as well, they could always just transition platforms at any time if they feel like that's in their best interests.
nosoupforyou
AG
here's the big question - is Black Widow a good movie? that will drive the numbers as much as the pandemic

WW84 was a bad movie, and Tenant was just ok - so it's not fair to say the pandemic caused their poor numbers - they simply weren't as good as past movies in the series (Inception, etc.)
cone
AG
there's no way their populace has been as psychically damaged by this pandemic as ours has
jimscott85
AG
nosoupforyou said:

here's the big question - is Black Widow a good movie? that will drive the numbers as much as the pandemic

WW84 was a bad movie, and Tenant was just ok - so it's not fair to say the pandemic caused their poor numbers - they simply weren't as good as past movies in the series (Inception, etc.)
Agree, but I don't think the industry is entirely blaming the performance of these movies on COVID. Studio management may try to deflect to the pandemic on these films, but it's definitely not an internal statement. The ultimate evaluation uses "big data." They are constantly aggregating data from critics, social media and a variety of other sources to gauge customer sentiment both real-time and post-mortem. A film could be impacted by a number of outside influences and the studios don't want those influences to impact the evaluation of the overall film performance.

As an example, say the studio was banking on $300M for Black Widow pre-pandemic and it only did $100M when it does come out. They'll still use the same "big data" sources to understand the customer response to the movie and try to estimate where it would have fallen based on similar responses to similar movies based on demographic appeal, etc.

If you're a movie buff and you're wanting to see the movies come back to the theaters, you care less about the appeal of the film or even its actual numbers. You care more about the studio's ability to evaluate the results and determine whether the pandemic is having a continued impact.
MBAR
AG
nosoupforyou said:

I still don't buy this. Bad blockbusters constantly make lots of money. Its the pandemic, not the quality of the movie.
nosoupforyou
AG
MBAR said:

nosoupforyou said:

I still don't buy this. Bad blockbusters constantly make lots of money. Its the pandemic, not the quality of the movie.
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull proves your point - and so does Captain Marvel so you are a little bit right -both terrible and blah movies

but there's surely movies that were just bad and therefore less successful
fig96
AG
MBAR said:

nosoupforyou said:

It's probably a bit of both. Right now people are itching for a reason to go to a movie but still probably hesitant, so something genuinely good would move the needle. We're also looking much better for audiences in May vs what we had in November/December which will definitely help.

I'd also wager Black Widow will at least be pretty good based on Marvel's track record.
fig96
AG
nosoupforyou said:

MBAR said:

nosoupforyou said:

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull proves your point - and so does Captain Marvel so you are a little bit right -both terrible and blah movies

The Transformers films have steadily trended down in both quality and box office take, the first three each made over $300 million domestic and the last one (as well as Bumblebee which was actually a solid movie) around $130 million.

But yes, bad movies do sometimes make money (usually big property blockbusters like you mentioned).
tysker
AG
fig96 said:

MBAR said:

nosoupforyou said:

It's probably a bit of both. Right now people are itching for a reason to go to a movie but still probably hesitant, so something genuinely good would move the needle. We're also looking much better for audiences in May vs what we had in November/December which will definitely help.

I'd also wager Black Widow will at least be pretty good based on Marvel's track record.
Its all based on the theatrical experience imo. 25% capacity for blockbuster movies is not an event really worth my money right now. Wearing a mask for 2+ hours next to people you already know and greater than six feet away from everyone isnt all that great of a way to spend my free time. I saw the Train to Busan sequel and Tenet in the theater and it was an OK experience but it wasn't great or really that much fun. And I was trying to patronize Alamo and their staff, not the studios.

Seeing a movie should be fun; not a hassle. With most of the current restrictions in place, the movie better be well worth it. I think a lot of us are willing to see a lower quality movie if the overall experience is good, but right now it's not much different than sitting in an airport.
jimscott85
AG
fig96 said:

nosoupforyou said:

MBAR said:

nosoupforyou said:

The Transformers films have steadily trended down in both quality and box office take, the first three each made over $300 million domestic and the last one (as well as Bumblebee which was actually a solid movie) around $130 million.

But yes, bad movies do sometimes make money (usually big property blockbusters like you mentioned).
This is a really good example to illustrate some reasons that "box office" isn't exactly what we think it means anymore. I'm going to assume this is in reference to The Last Knight.

Domestic box office landed around $130M as referenced above on a budget of $200-250M (depending on source and costs included in the figure). Let's assume $250M was the actual budget.

Domestic box office x an assumed film rental rate of 50% equals studio revenues of $65M on the domestic run. The film "lost" $185M if you only look at domestic box office. But then you have to look at international. The international run brought in another $475M. Assume a more conservative rental rate of 40%, the studio added revenue over another $190M. On a worldwide basis, on very conservative rental rates, the move made $5M.

So, the film made a very conservative $5M BEFORE any other consideration. Merchandise royalties, PVOD rentals, streaming revenues, DVD/Blue Ray, and network revenues are just going to pile on after that. The films in the franchise got "progressively worse" while still bringing in substantial revenues. To your point, the revenues were dwindling to a point that the risk of a box office bomb all but put the franchise to bed. Eventually the returns aren't worth the risk.
fig96
AG
Super interesting, thanks for sharing that.

Of course, if you were a producer, writer, or director with some sort of back end deal that film is somehow still losing money currently
tysker
AG
From my very limited experience helping some old clients with financing theatrical and movie productions, you definitely get the feeling that the accounting of such projects are, well, funky.

I think all of them wound up as money losers, especially the theater projects; it must for a love of the art form
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
jimscott85 said:

Cuomo's on the hot seat from the nursing home fiasco, prolonged closures and overall mismanagement over the course of the last 12 months. He will hopefully have his emergency powers removed and the state can proceed with expanded reopening. Newsom is under fire for many of the same reasons.

Black Widow is currently the line in the sand. Disney talking heads are opposed to a Disney+ release or even a hybrid release as of last week. Fingers crossed the numbers continue to fall. Experts are beginning to float the idea of herd immunity by April. As long as CA and NY don't backtrack on their opening plans, there's good reason for Black Widow to test the waters.

Look, Cuomo loves democracy. He loves the republic. He promises that when this crisis is over he shall lay down these powers you have given him.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TC or any other Hollywood types, wanted to get your input. I know LA and NYC are basically still closed down, so are you seeing people move filming operations to other more open states? I was listening to JRE and he was talking about how there is starting to be a big migration of comics to places like Austin where they can perform, so just wanted to see if that same thing was starting to occur in film.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't believe so. The difference is that comics need a live audience. Because of how much filming contributes to the state, I think they have a pass to operate.
Duncan Idaho
Speaking of comics, how is chapelle doing.?
fig96
AG
third coast.. said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I don't believe so. The difference is that comics need a live audience. Because of how much filming contributes to the state, I think they have a pass to operate.
rules for thee and not for me. perfect example was the lady who couldn't operate her restaurant but some production company had a massive tent set up in her parking lot to use because they got a waiver.
Also worth noting that as a film set they've got extensive protocols in place for screening, testing, safety, etc.

Not that there aren't a variety of points to be made about the rules that are in place because there certainly are, but this is an apples and oranges comparison.
Post removed:
by user
fig96
AG
third coast.. said:

they denied her for a permit to serve on a patio while setting up a 'patio' area about 200x the size of hers in the parking lot adjacent to her restaurant. they both look like apples to me.
Without knowing what screening and other protocols the movie set has in place that isn't a comparison you can accurately make.

And again, not saying it's necessarily fair and California isn't known for their effective government, there's just more to it than a flat comparison.
jimscott85
AG
fig96 said:

third coast.. said:

they denied her for a permit to serve on a patio while setting up a 'patio' area about 200x the size of hers in the parking lot adjacent to her restaurant. they both look like apples to me.
Without knowing what screening and other protocols the movie set has in place that isn't a comparison you can accurately make.

And again, not saying it's necessarily fair and California isn't known for their effective government, there's just more to it than a flat comparison.
It's California, I think we can make the general assumption with some level of accuracy. Restrictions across the country haven't been uniformly applied and we can see that right here in Texas (you can get a burger but you can't get a haircut). Just at face value, it should be concerning that you can't get food but you can count on a low budget film coming in the next year.

That said, several projects were greenlit in California even in the midst of the pandemic and came with some significant tax breaks. There were a couple articles back in mid/late 2020 on the topic.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
Must be nice for him living where "average ticket prices" are $9.

His analysis falls apart in most of the major metro areas.

not to mention no gas/uber costs.
No parking costs (potentially)
Time value of getting to and from the theater vs convenience.

Heck, in his own analysis for $14, I can see three of the movies on his list in a weekend.

I get what he is saying but he is literally dealing in absolutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.