*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,929 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rick Dalton said:

That sucks, Brian. What part of the country are you in? Hopefully there's other options that aren't too far away.

Central Florida. There's a Premiere Theaters here also (which I had never gone to until I saw ESB there last month), which isn't bad actually. What really sucks is I'll no longer have an IMAX theater near me, except Orlando, which is 80 miles away...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's one near Cape Canaveral. It's still a hell of a drive (40 minutes), but it'll do in a pinch.
TCTTS
AG
That's incredible. I can't even imagine a wheat field there. That whole area is so incredibly urban now.
fig96
AG
I'd be curious (and goodness I'm not looking to debate this but just generally curious) if something like a theater with a large open auditorium space would be less risk than something like a restaurant with 10 foot ceilings? Common sense says yes, but I suppose there's a variety of factors at play here.
Aggie4242
I would imagine there might be some concern with any air filtration system in the theater. Where I live, restaurants weren't allowed to have indoor seating without first installing specific air filters.

I wonder how difficult it would be to disinfect a theater too. I'm not sure I would trust some high schools to clean things correctly (but that's just me).
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

"I am sure there is a whole group of people who say, 'I cannot live without going to the movies.' But on a relative risk scale, a movie theater is less essential and poses a high risk. It is congregant. It is one ventilation system. You are seated there for a long period of time... Even if you are at 50-percent capacity with one or two seats between the two of you, this is a risk situation and movie theaters are not that high on the list of essentials."
This coming from the man who forced sick seniors back into nursing homes, infecting and killing thousands of people in the New York area. The man is pure scum.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

That's incredible. I can't even imagine a wheat field there. That whole area is so incredibly urban now.
Old Man Peabody used to own all of it. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My AMC is safe.
tk for tu juan
I blame covid for this:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/planes-trains-and-automobiles-remake-will-smith-kevin-hart-paramount-john-hughes-john-candy-steve-martin-1203015171
fig96
AG
Gotcha, that would make sense.
AliasMan02
AG
Rick Dalton said:

fig96 said:

I'd be curious (and goodness I'm not looking to debate this but just generally curious) if something like a theater with a large open auditorium space would be less risk than something like a restaurant with 10 foot ceilings? Common sense says yes, but I suppose there's a variety of factors at play here.
There was a study last week that was the first to find live virus in the smaller aerosols that can suspend in the air much longer than the larger droplets that quickly fall to the ground. Scientists have suspected that's the case for a while, but if further studies confirm it then I don't think it's going to be a good sign for movie theaters. Even the best ventilation system can't cycle the air in a large auditorium that quickly.

This is a discussion (i.e. argument) my wife and I have quite a bit.

On one hand, this is a very real concern and why I'm not going to the movies.

On the other, the reality of the world today doesn't really support this as being a problem. People are at work with the AC running, in offices on the same HVAC system as other people. Because you're contagious for DAYS before you show symptoms (if you ever do), infected people are within these systems. The virus is VERY contagious. But you're not getting mass infections in these types of environments.

We had a case at work. Someone started feeling bad, went home, got tested, and was positive. He had, based on what we know, been contagious for DAYS. They sent home people he had contact with to quarantine. NOBODY else got sick. There are 1000 people in my office. Hundreds who he shared HVAC air with. Zero additional cases.

I'm not saying it's not serious. We're staying home, wearing masks, washing hands, etc. But much of this doesn't add up. Still, better safe than sorry.
MBAR
AG
I hope all the reopenings for theaters go well. I'd like to see movies again sooner rather than later. I'm still in the won't go boat, but I have to start teaching on campus next week. I am TAing 3 lab sections, and while the lecture portion of the lab is fully online, I will have to teach the lab in person. Judging from the images I've seen since the undergrads game back, I'm going to have plenty of exposure at campus so maybe going to the movies won't even increase my risk. I'll know in a month if we're still open.
YNWA_AG
AG
What happened to buying out the theater for $60
TCTTS
AG
If The Landmark on Pico in LA meets this same fate, I don't know what I'll do. The Pico location has been my go-to theater - roughly twice a month or so for over a decade - and is one of my favorite spots in all of LA. When I think about the things I'll do and the places I'll go post-pandemic, it's one of the first things that comes to mind. An LA without it seems unthinkable. Can we please get this sh*t under control so these guys can get back to business? **** this ****ing virus...

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/landmark-57-west-movie-theater-closes-1234580659/
Bunk Moreland
Is the "****" not under control where you live? It sucks but time to ramp up local and state pressure. I'll be in a theater for a new movie this Friday and again for Tenet the moment it shows up. Sucks to suck for areas who have local or state politicians that won't allow that but oh well.

And the theaters and production companies should be doing everything they can to get up and rolling in areas where it is allowed.
Bunk Moreland
At this point if I lived in a place that had no showing 3 hours away I'd drive to it and make a night or weekend out of it. Wouldn't do it for anyone other than Nolan probably and only because of how ****ty the situation is with covid. Anything under an hour is a no brainer. Hell it takes me over an hour to unpack his movies anyway so the drive would only help.
TCTTS
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Is the "****" not under control where you live? Platitudes like that are beyond tiring at this point. Not saying you mean in that way but its such a convenience to not require companies make decisions. I'll be in theater for a new movie this Friday and again for Tenet the moment it shows up. Sucks to suck for areas who have local or state politicians that won't allow that but don't just generalize it against the rest of us.

And the theaters and production companies should be doing everything they can to get up and rolling in areas where it's allowed.

If you took that as me b*tching at people in this thread, you're being even more defensive/sensitive than even I'm accused of being at times. It was an offhanded comment directed at no one in particular about the city I live in - a city that likely won't see an open theater in who knows how long (October? Maybe?). Sorry, but it was simply me venting about something I have no control over.
Bunk Moreland
That's why I edited. Figured it's just pure venting which we all understand.

I'd love to see what would happen if Hollywood brass started standing up to opening theaters in major markets. If Big 10 parents can possibly force change they easily could.
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

That sucks, but sounds like that location was having a hard time even before the pandemic:
Quote:

"We inherited a tough deal," said Landmark Theatres COO Paul Serwitz, who still operates The Quad Cinemas downtown and said that the company was exploring other uptown options. "It never felt financially viable."

Landmark at 57 West opened in September 2017. Multiple sources tell IndieWire that Landmark attempted to renegotiate its lease with landlord the Durst Organization, even before COVID-19, but they could not come to terms.
I wouldn't worry about your local Pico theater just yet. I've walked through that shopping mall several times and I'm pretty sure the Landmark and that restaurant by the escalators are the only businesses making any money in that whole complex.

I was surprised that theaters aren't reopening in NY since they've got a positivity rate below 1%. It's 6.1% where you're at, so you might want to start planning that Vegas road trip to see Tenet now because it's probably going to be a while before y'all's theaters reopen.

Yeah, you're probably right.

As for Tenet, specifically, I'm constantly going back and forth. Part of me thinks it's no big deal to sit in a theater with a mask on (and likely a clear face shield, which I purchased specifically for movie-going), and if any movie is worth the road trip, it's this one. But then another part of me really does wonder if sitting in a theater right now is the worst idea imaginable during a pandemic. That, and just last month I drove to Texas and back and I don't know if I'm up for another hours-long road trip.

Most likely, I'm probably just going to wait until theaters here in LA are open, and hope the number of cases are down by then. If not, it'd be torture, but I'm prepared to go theater-less until the vaccine next year, and just catch Tenet on streaming this holiday season. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though...
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.

And yeah, I'm honestly shocked "the Big 10 parents" of the industry haven't already stood up to local officials more.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I can say that the Landmark on 57th was my go to location for several years. Can't count how many shows I saw there...and often as the only one in the theater. I honestly am surprised it lasted this long.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.