*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,946 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We knew it was coming, but October...that's depressing
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I was thinking March or April. Definitely not October. And I'm guessing The Batman now takes Black Adam's December 22, 2021 spot, and BA is moved to '22?
TCTTS
AG
There probably aren't going to be any new movies to show, but this is good news, I guess?

https://deadline.com/2020/10/cinemark-staying-open-post-cineworld-and-regal-closure-1234591565/
cone
AG
sucks about Dune

I would have hazmatted up for that
TCTTS
AG
Same.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-batman-delays-release-to-2022-as-warner-bros-shuffles-calendar

10.01.21 = Dune
12.22.21 = The Matrix 4
03.04.22 = The Batman
11.04.22 = The Flash
06.02.23 = Shazam! Fury of the Gods
TBD = Black Adam
TBD = Minecraft
toucan82
I admire the optimism they're showing by putting The Flash on their schedule
J. Walter Weatherman
Bunk Moreland said:

I know I'm probably not representative of most people, but I have no issues sitting in a large crowd at a football game or inside a theater...even if some around me may not be being the most responsible with their masks/cleanliness.

Agreed, zero issues for me or anyone I know either, and honestly the experience is much better without as many people in the theater. In the majority of the country (outside of the west coast and New York) where life is getting mostly back to normal there's still no reason to go to the theater once you have seen Tenet because the studios aren't putting anything out because they (understandably) don't want to risk losing money. The only hope now is that a lot of the panic ends in a few weeks once Biden likely wins/the virus finishes working its way through the last few places it hasn't been yet, and we can finally move on.
TCTTS
AG
toucan82 said:

I admire the optimism they're showing by putting The Flash on their schedule

The Flash has been on the schedule for quite a while now. It just got bumped back a few months because of the Dune move. But it has a script, a director, and a pretty great cast that has been getting better by the day. It's definitely happening at this point.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-batman-delays-release-to-2022-as-warner-bros-shuffles-calendar

10.01.21 = Dune
12.22.21 = The Matrix 4
03.04.22 = The Batman
11.04.22 = The Flash
06.02.23 = Shazam! Fury of the Gods
TBD = Black Adam
TBD = Minecraft

Man. This just sucks. Remember 3 months ago when we were bummed about Tenet getting pushed back?

How do theaters survive until mid to late 2020. Essentially 18 months without any significant revenue. By that point, I don't even know if people go back.

Disney+, HBO, Netflix will have such a hold on people. I don't know how many people will go back to a theater experience.
tysker
AG
If the theaters don't survive, can they be purchased by the studios?
I recall there being an antitrust issue where studios couldnt own theaters or screens for decades but that law/rule recently was unwound. Maybe I'm misremembering but it seems like there could be some cheap theater real estate available for purchase in 6-12 months that studios could easily pick up.
MBAR
AG
Theaters will still be a thing in some form next year. Even if the theaters do not survive, someone will swoop in and pick up that infrastructure. I do NOT want to bail out theaters.

I think Studios finally go the message that there is no going to the theaters until the virus is actually under control. I wish the rest of the country would realize that applies to pretty much everything that requires people to group indoors.
TCTTS
AG
The best, most comprehensive article I've read yet on the subject. Bleak, yes, and we've obviously got a long way to go, but a couple of silver linings and some hope as well...

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/the-fate-of-american-movie-theaters-looks-terribly-bleak.html
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Universal moving the release date back an entire year, even though they're only three weeks away from wrapping production...

https://deadline.com/2020/10/jurassic-world-dominion-release-date-change-june-2022-1234592554/
TCTTS
AG
Another one bites the dust...

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Back-to-back Pixar movies skipping theaters (Onward has one dismal week with lockdowns already starting so it really doesn't count).

That hurts.
Duncan Idaho
Is that going to be on disney+ or disney++?
YNWA_AG
AG
no extra fee from what i read
fig96
AG
Yup, free for subscribers (though I would've bought this one).

Very interested to see what Croods 2 (currently scheduled for Thanksgiving in theaters) does.
TCTTS
AG
Basically, this...

Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

Basically, this...

tysker
AG
TCTTS said:

Basically, this...

Using what money and whose capital?
Work from home has changed the public's needs and perceptions about entertainment spending at least as much as the pandemic.
cone
AG
i would have agreed five months ago, not now

the appetite for sports on TV isn't what i would have imagined it would be given supposed "pent up demand"

the rhythm of leisure has been completely upended. i just don't think things will snap back in a rush.

we'll see. i think my lesson from all this is that humans can get used to anything, even if it's harmful to their psyche or "soul". and six months is plenty of time for enough people to get used to the current circumstance as to kill/severely damage some markets for years.
Bunk Moreland
cone said:

we'll see. i think my lesson from all this is that humans can get used to anything, even if it's harmful to their psyche or "soul". and six months is plenty of time for enough people to get used to the current circumstance as to kill/severely damage some markets for years.

Agree. It's devastating for me to see how many people are simply ok with giving up freedoms and living a normal life over something that has virtually no chance of killing the vast majority of us. The hardest part of all of this has been dealing with acknowledging how easy it has been for so many to just conform.

So while I like the gusto and the rah-rah mentality of that tweet, I think it's far from a certainty.
cone
AG
ngl i'll be the first to admit it

i don't see the need to eat out. i've gotten used to getting take out or delivery. it's become easier.

i don't see the need to go see movies in a theater, especially if there's nothing to see there that won't immediately get thrown onto a streaming service.

i don't see the need for live sports, mainly because the status of attendance has been completely removed from the zeitgeist and it's expensive and inconvenient.

so i'm part of the problem but oh well, i'm outside 10x as much as i was pre-pandemic and read more books.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I think live sports will rebound faster than theater-going. Going to see a game live will always trump seeing it on tv.

But going to the theaters to see a movie was already in the process of diminishing thanks to home entertainment options before the pandemic started. Thanks to COVID that mindset in the casual movie-goer has only picked up velocity and won't stop unless the studios completely backtrack on the quick-to-VOD model they've adopted. People are already getting used to it, getting spoiled by it, and will expect it to continue even after the magical "safe to return normalcy" decision is made.
MBAR
AG
Nevermind. Don't want to turn this into the other place.
cone
AG
no in-person entertainment for years?

that's healthy?
TCTTS
AG
Disney is now pivoting to focus primarily on streaming via their big three platforms: Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN. What this means theatrically is likely fewer Disney movies in theaters, and the ones that do release in theaters will likely see shorter theatrical-to-digital windows. In other words, my guess would be that the Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar franchises continue to release movies theatrically, except with shorter windows, but then it's a toss up/case-by-case basis as to which Pixar, Disney Animation, and Disney live-action movies debut theatrically vs digital...

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/walt-disney-structural-reorganization-media-entertainment-business-1234801683/

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/disney-pivots-to-streaming-as-ceo-says-films-and-tv-go-wherever-they-earn-the-most-1234592280/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

https://www.outkick.com/disney-restructuring-emphasizes-digital-future-what-does-it-mean-for-espn/
double aught
AG
Wow
TCTTS
AG
My guess/hope is that the more popular Fox Searchlight titles will still see a limited theatrical release in the bigger markets. But then instead of eventually getting a wider and wider platformed theatrical release, eventually playing everywhere, going to Hulu becomes the new "wide." For instance, I could see The French Dispatch releasing theatrically in, say, ten big cities next year, but then after a month to six weeks or so, it goes to Hulu.

One the one hand, this might kill Fox Searchlight titles ever playing in a multiplex in your average town ever again. But the good thing is it doesn't sound like Disney is making any hard and fast rules. If they think a movie's best shot at making the most money is in theaters - whether it be ten theaters initially, or in nation-wide chains, that's where it goes. And then it might spend three weeks in those theaters before heading to streaming or it might spend two months in theaters before heading to streaming. Either way, it's a case by case basis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.