*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,953 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a friend who works at a large VFX studio (they work on pretty much any major film you can think of) and he said it sounds like they're shutting down sooner than later.

What makes it tricky is that their work is completely proprietary and most of their staff is contract. So they can't work from home, BUT if they don't keep paying people in some form a lot of those people will go find work at other studios. And if that happens it's going to be an absolute nightmare to staff a few hundred people back up when everything does open up again (hopefully sooner than later).
TCTTS
AG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/03/12/f9-coronavirus-delay-vin-diesel-universal-fast-and-furious-china-box-office/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1126601-paramount-removes-the-lovebirds-blue-story-from-schedule
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, at this rate, my guess is that movie theaters will be closed within the next 10 days or so. Either they'll be forced to or one of the big chains will set an example and everyone else will follow. I went to see a movie tonight (First Cow, which was fantastic) and the theater was a ghost town. It was super eerie. I could be overreacting, but I mentally prepared myself for tonight potentially being my last theater outing for a few weeks if not months.

Sounds perfect for A Quiet Place 2.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Honestly, at this rate, my guess is that movie theaters will be closed within the next 10 days or so. Either they'll be forced to or one of the big chains will set an example and everyone else will follow. I went to see a movie tonight (First Cow, which was fantastic) and the theater was a ghost town. It was super eerie. I could be overreacting, but I mentally prepared myself for tonight potentially being my last theater outing for a few weeks if not months.

Sounds perfect for A Quiet Place 2.
You may have missed a post on the last page...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

We gonna see major movie releases direct to streaming platforms?

I was just telling someone last night that the most strategic move at this point is to put Mulan on Disney+ and forgo a theatrical release.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/films-tv-delayed-coronavirus-canceled-1203532033/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.slashfilm.com/hollywood-coronavirus-cancellations/
Bunk Moreland
Next 14-21 days are going to be critical. Hopefully over that time we'll have hit the mass increase of cases that are already out there but not reported due to limited testing...hit the peak, and begin turning the corner.

If we can do that, companies everywhere will contract during that time and then begin picking up the pieces somewhat in late April but mostly in May. Hope to be back churning close to full strength in June/July.
TCTTS
AG
Knock on wood, but yeah, that seems to be a reasonable timeline/expectation, based on everything we know and have seen at this point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was just telling someone last night that the most strategic move at this point is to put Mulan on Disney+ and forgo a theatrical release.
no way they do this. they will sit on it for a year or two if they have to.

they were banking on getting $200+ million from China BO alone for this one.

If it streams, Chinese can just pirate the hell out of it, cratering any future BO revenue.

Disagree. The Chinese will pirate it anyway. This would be a huge boost to Disney+ especially in Asian markets.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MGS
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

no way they do this. they will sit on it for a year or two if they have to.

they were banking on getting $200+ million from China BO alone for this one.

If it streams, Chinese can just pirate the hell out of it, cratering any future BO revenue.

Disagree. The Chinese will pirate it anyway. This would be a huge boost to Disney+ especially in Asian markets.
The lead actress pissed off a lot of people in Hong Kong and Taiwan by praising the Chinese government's crackdown on democracy protesters in HK. I don't see a lot of support for the movie in those markets.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, at this point safe to assume any major blockbuster from March/April (other than Mulan) delayed?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, at this point I'd postpone until then.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty much. And likely May too.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/03/12/f9-coronavirus-delay-vin-diesel-universal-fast-and-furious-china-box-office/

InternetFan02
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Next 14-21 days are going to be critical. Hopefully over that time we'll have hit the mass increase of cases that are already out there but not reported due to limited testing...hit the peak, and begin turning the corner.

If we can do that, companies everywhere will contract during that time and then begin picking up the pieces somewhat in late April but mostly in May. Hope to be back churning close to full strength in June/July.
agreed and black widow should be the big test. First major traditional blockbuster, timed at beginning of may
TCTTS
AG
F9 already moving from May only adds to the pressure, though. I would be surprised if BW doesn't move as well.
Saxsoon
AG
My understanding is that theaters and places like Disneyland are exempt from the law
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
Either way, it's looking like indies are the only thing that's going to be playing.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Glad to see them posting that. I did notice the ticket taker at my theater (The Landmark, not Drafthouse) use hand sanitizer specifically to take my ticket.
You actually use a paper ticket??????
TCTTS
AG
I've collected every ticket from every movie I've seen since 1997. Though, due to digital/email, I admit this streak/collection is probably going to have to end at some point relatively soon...

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
lazuras_dc
AG
TCTTS said:

One last ri..... <cough>
GiveEmHellBill
AG
C@LAg said:

And done...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/media/disneyland-close-coronavirus/index.html

Disney is closing Disneyland, its flagship theme park in Anaheim, California, due to the coronavirus outbreak.
I had figured that Disneyland and Disney World wouldn't make it past this weekend. That they both probably won't make it to the weekend is not surprising.

I've got the myDisneyExperience app on my phone and have been keeping tabs a couple of times a day on wait times at the Disney World parks. At lunch, the lines were all pretty damn long (150 minutes for the Avatar ride), so it didn't seem like crowds were affected.
MooreTrucker
AG
That's pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
Email just now from my go-to theater, pretty much the same as the Drafthouse email. Theaters are going to hang on as long as they can, it seems...

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MBAR
AG
I wonder if any of these movies will go straight to streaming.

I also wonder what kind of long term effects this has on movie theaters which are already suffering a lot.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, last night's movie outing was my last for a while. Probably 'til May. It's great to see theaters taking these precautions, and I'm glad they're informing us, but I'm done with theaters, restaurants, and bars for the time being.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. I think TV/streaming viewership is about to skyrocket. Will be interesting to see the numbers starting this weekend...
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theaters-battle-stay-open-shelved-films-but-how-long-1284329

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.