*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,980 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
nosoupforyou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh that's great - thank you
TCTTS
GiveEmHellBill
AG
fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bad Boys For Life - Best Picture 2020
The nominees for Best Motion Picture are...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Bloodshot
Bad Boys for Life
Onward
The Gentlemen and The Invisible Man are honestly the two best films I sat in a theater and watched in 2020.
fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bad Boys For Life - Best Picture 2020
The nominees for Best Motion Picture are...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Bloodshot
Bad Boys for Life
Onward
The Gentlemen and The Invisible Man are honestly the two best films I sat in a theater and watched in 2020.
Missed Invisible Man but The Gentlemen was a blast.
MBAR
AG
Any idea what films if any we'll see go VOD?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Not official yet, but obviously highly unlikely this sticks if so...

Counterpoint
AG
I assumed Tenet would be longer than 1 minute long!
(Hey, if you can do a Face/Off joke...)
fig96
AG
Interesting and relevant development...
Quote:

Apple Looking to Increase Acquisition of Blockbuster Movies for Apple TV+ Following Success of 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks' World War II drama "Greyhound" has boosted Apple's ambitions in launching feature films on Apple TV+, with plans now said to have increased to "Netflix-like levels" (via Fast Company). While plans are still being ironed out, this could mean that Apple releases a dozen new movies a year on Apple TV+, at a pace of roughly one per month.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/24/apple-blockbuster-apple-tv/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tenet-open-overseas-late-august-followed-by-us-cities-labor-day-1304528
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

This may the best joke I've seen on the internet in the Covid Era.
MBAR
AG
fig96 said:

Interesting and relevant development...
Quote:

Apple Looking to Increase Acquisition of Blockbuster Movies for Apple TV+ Following Success of 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks' World War II drama "Greyhound" has boosted Apple's ambitions in launching feature films on Apple TV+, with plans now said to have increased to "Netflix-like levels" (via Fast Company). While plans are still being ironed out, this could mean that Apple releases a dozen new movies a year on Apple TV+, at a pace of roughly one per month.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/24/apple-blockbuster-apple-tv/
I was really skeptical of this when it happened but TCTTS told me I was wrong and he was definitely right.

I wonder what else they'll manage to purchase.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This is huge...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-universal-collapsing-theatrical-window-17-days-unprecedented-pact-1304759

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-amc-theatres-historic-deal-windows-1234718737/

double aught
AG
Theaters have done tons to improve the experience in recent years. Not sure what that Ethan guy is talking about.
TCTTS
AG
I avoid the mega theater chains (AMC, Cinemark, Regal, etc) at all costs. Yes, the audio/video is way better nowadays, but the overall experience itself has gotten so much worse, IMO. The atmosphere is lame, the food sucks, the previews are way too long, the audiences won't put their phones away, etc. The whole experience just feels so cheap and cheesy and depressing. On the other hand, going to The Landmark, ArcLight, Alamo Drafthouse, Star Cinema Grill, etc is night and day in comparison. Just light years better. I'm pretty sure the mega chain experience is what Ethan is referring to, hence the AMC of it all.
double aught
AG
Yeah, maybe so. I mostly stick to Alamo, so my view could be skewed. But I thought even the big chains have done the following:
  • Early ticket sales
  • Assigned seats
  • Stadium seating
  • Improved seats
  • Improved A/V
  • Alcohol
  • In theater dining
fig96
AG
It's hit or miss, some do and some are still way behind. I'd imagine that anyone seeing a movie in a major city also has a different experience than a small town AMC visitor.

I'm with TCTTS though, only times I've been to a chain theater in the past few years are for free seats I got from my car dealership or seeing John Wick 3 like two months after release with a friend who was in town. Otherwise I'm at Alamo or Movie House (which is pretty equivalent and IMO actually has a better menu).

Either way, this is a super interesting move and will probably result in me owning things that I'd otherwise rent, the kind of movies that I'm curious enough to see fairly soon after release but not spend 12 bucks a ticket plus food for.
Ag Since 83
AG
I love Moviehouse. Their breakfast tacos made Saturday morning movies a regular occurrence for me.

The Cinemark in the area are OK to various degrees. Their somewhat new Cut location in Frisco is pretty good
fig96
AG
And that's what makes Alamo amazing, talk and you're gone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

This does seem like a bit of a dick move by AMC, though. They're the world's largest movie theater chain and the exclusivity of the deal means that every other theater chain, no matter the size, is left out. I'm interested to see how the other chains and studios respond.

I'm a little confused what you mean, can you clarify?

Will AMC be the only theater chain showing Universal movies?
TCTTS
AG
Nice little breakdown of what this likely means going forward...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc-universal-deal-entertainment-industry-future-1234718942/
WoMD
Rick Dalton said:

Quote:

Will this mean studios can make movies that aren't about superheroes?

That's the hope. Hollywood has made a point of backing comic book adaptations and franchise fare because it claims that the economics of the theatrical business are so brutal, they don't reward creative risk-taking.
One can dream...

Hopefully other sources, like Apple, can step in and provide some solid alternative movie options as well. It really is a golden opportunity for them to get into the game, when the competition and power struggle is in chaos.
fig96
AG
WoMD said:

Rick Dalton said:

Quote:

Will this mean studios can make movies that aren't about superheroes?

That's the hope. Hollywood has made a point of backing comic book adaptations and franchise fare because it claims that the economics of the theatrical business are so brutal, they don't reward creative risk-taking.
One can dream...

Hopefully other sources, like Apple, can step in and provide some solid alternative movie options as well. It really is a golden opportunity for them to get into the game, when the competition and power struggle is in chaos.
I think we're already seeing the impact of this both in movies and shows. Netflix in particular is willing to finance some niche items that would never have gotten much attention in mainstream theaters but get some viewership and sometimes even a lot of success in streaming formats.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rick Dalton said:

All theater chains will still show Universal (and Focus Features) films, but AMC is the only one that will get a cut of the money that Universal earns when they go to PVOD as soon as 17 days after release. Regal, Cinemark, Alamo, and every other chain in the US, down to the smallest independent and family-owned theaters, are then at a financial disadvantage due to the exclusiveness of thIs deal while also having to compete with a movie they're still screening being on PVOD.

I've said multiple times that I expect a lot of chains to go bankrupt and smaller theaters to shutter completely, but this is AMC using their size and leverage to try to save themselves at the possible expense of the rest of the industry. Part of me admires what they've done and the other part worries about the effect it'll have on everybody else.
Couldn't each chain cut a deal with Universal or refuse to show their movies?
fig96
AG
Also, these theaters aren't going to willingly pass on the Fast, Jurassic Park, Minions, Dreamworks, etc., franchises.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think the little theater doesn't need to worry about this. They can show the movie during the window, and keep showing it after if it brings them in money or stop if it doesn't. They lose the VOD cash, but I doubt the VOD cash is going to be that significant. VOD has been doing well because there isn't a theater option. If the option is open, I think most people will chose the theater until they can stream the movies for "free" on whatever subscription service they have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.