*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

159,690 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was suggested in the Dune thread in regards to something I posted that we start a coronavirus/entertainment thread, which I thought was good idea. Below are all the big news items I can think of so far, but obviously feel free to add any I've left off or whatever else happens over the next few days/weeks/months...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/james-bond-no-time-to-die-coronavirus-1203523859/

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sxsw-canceled-coronavirus-2020-austin-1203526422/

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/10/813970166/coachella-delays-2020-edition-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

https://www.thewrap.com/cinemacon-2020-canceled-coronavirus/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-test-positive-coronavirus-1284173/
TCTTS
AG
Another big one on the horizon I could see getting cancelled is ComicCon, which is currently scheduled for July 23-26.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, at this rate, my guess is that movie theaters will be closed within the next 10 days or so. Either they'll be forced to or one of the big chains will set an example and everyone else will follow. I went to see a movie tonight (First Cow, which was fantastic) and the theater was a ghost town. It was super eerie. I could be overreacting, but I mentally prepared myself for tonight potentially being my last theater outing for a few weeks if not months.
InternetFan02
AG
Alamo Drafthouse staying open for now and assuring customers they are doing additional deep cleaning.

Quote:

What we are doing:
  • We are closely monitoring daily updates and recommendations from the CDC.
  • We are sanitizing seat armrests, cup holders, and tables during theater cleanings before every show.
  • Latex gloves are being worn by all staff during theater cleanings and when bussing tables.
  • Every night our end-of-day cleaning team is disinfecting all hand-contact surfaces in guest-accessible areas (armrests, tables, door handles, counters, railings, benches, booths, faucets).
  • In addition to nightly deep cleaning, our theaters are increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting all high-traffic areas throughout the day. Door handles and box office counters are being disinfected at a cadence of every 30 minutes during business hours.
  • On that note, we've retrained our entire staff in thorough and frequent hand-washing fronts, backs, wrists, between fingers with soap and water for at least twenty seconds each time
  • Employees have also been instructed to never come to work if they experience fever or any Coronavirus symptoms

TCTTS
AG
Glad to see them posting that. I did notice the ticket taker at my theater (The Landmark, not Drafthouse) use hand sanitizer specifically to take my ticket.
TCTTS
AG
Did I say within 10 days? Make that 10 minutes. Most of the more sizable multiplex theaters seat well over 250. I'm guessing this means that theaters in California are essentially closed for the time being, with certain exceptions potentially (maybe a limited number of seats sold per theater?), with New York likely not far behind, and then most other states to follow...

Stat Monitor Repairman
We gonna see major movie releases direct to streaming platforms?
TCTTS
AG
Notable releases over the next few weeks/months that could potentially be impacted...

Bloodshot

The Hunt

A Quiet Place Part II

Mulan

The Lovebirds

The New Mutants

Black Widow

Greyhound

The Woman in the Window

F9

Artemis Fowl
TCTTS
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

We gonna see major movie releases direct to streaming platforms?

I think we very well might. But they'd be expensive as hell. Something like Black Widow would likely be around $50 or so. Still, no better time to test/implement the model than now.
mazzag
AG
The Hunt might get postponed, again
TCTTS
AG
And New Mutants.
mazzag
AG
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it is. 4.03.
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/03/california-gov-gavin-newsom-moratorium-large-gatherings-slow-coronavirus-outbreak-hollywood-impact-1202880622/
Gap
AG
Why release a movie now to become a bust because people are afraid of going out?

Many theatre companies aren't in a great position financially. We could see some of them in bankruptcy if this continues. AMC is in real financial trouble. Cinemark is in a bit stronger position. Theatre options and capacity will soon be at risk.
TCTTS
AG
Are you implying that theaters should or shouldn't be temporarily closed?
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/big-reason-why-hollywood-isnt-prepared-tackle-a-coronavirus-pandemic-1283861
TCTTS
AG
A day old (and thus before some of Wednesday's biggest news), but interesting nonetheless...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/coronavirus-cineworld-debt-breach-all-cinemas-closed-1283819
mazzag
AG
Has Vegas shut down?
TCTTS
AG
I haven't seen anything announced, but surely some significant precautions are imminent.
mazzag
AG
There's 7 cases in the whole state. 5 in Clark county. Which is amazing giving the international travel there.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but once we finally start testing on pace with other countries, I think a sh*t ton more cases are going to be discovered. Then again, if urgent care and hospitals in places like Vegas aren't reporting an abnormal amount of requests or walk-ins, maybe those numbers truly are accurate. Hopefully they are.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I'm with you that Black Widow moves, but that particular scenario probably involves too many dominos, I'm afraid. It's not ideal, but Black Widow could easily slide into August or September.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pretty glad we're leaving disney today before it shuts down.
Quad Dog
AG
If they limit sizes of crowds and change some other policies such as taking tickets physically I could see movies being a great entertainment alternative to other things with bigger crowds.
Also if they offer streaming options sooner they would make a killing. For example if Disney said they were going to steam their theater movies (Onward, Mulan,Black Widow, etc.) on Disney+ for two months because of the outbreak, they would get a ton of subscribers.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/a-quiet-place-part-ii-delays-release-due-coronavirus-pandemic-1284190
javajaws
AG
Yeah, but think of all the pandemic related movies we'll get next year!

Possible plots:

1) We all die, 4 different points of view during the fall all combine in the end
2) Everyone who gets infected is sterilized
3) It causes WWIII, complete with romantic side story
4) It was aliens.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
NoahAg
InternetFan02 said:

Alamo Drafthouse staying open for now and assuring customers they are doing additional deep cleaning.

Quote:

What we are doing:
  • We are closely monitoring daily updates and recommendations from the CDC.
  • We are sanitizing seat armrests, cup holders, and tables during theater cleanings before every show.
  • Latex gloves are being worn by all staff during theater cleanings and when bussing tables.
  • Every night our end-of-day cleaning team is disinfecting all hand-contact surfaces in guest-accessible areas (armrests, tables, door handles, counters, railings, benches, booths, faucets).
  • In addition to nightly deep cleaning, our theaters are increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting all high-traffic areas throughout the day. Door handles and box office counters are being disinfected at a cadence of every 30 minutes during business hours.
  • On that note, we've retrained our entire staff in thorough and frequent hand-washing fronts, backs, wrists, between fingers with soap and water for at least twenty seconds each time
  • Employees have also been instructed to never come to work if they experience fever or any Coronavirus symptoms

Not sure what the difference will be. I usually feel like I have a virus after going to Alamo.
AtlAg05
AG
Could add the sports impact as well, NBA, NCAA basketball, NASCAR and I heard MLS as well.
Stat Monitor Repairman
If we all die of carona virus before the final seasons of Better Call Saul it's gonna be a real mess..
Chipotlemonger
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B9ozoX0nSsn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.