*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,031 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be BEYOND pi$$ed if Universal decides to undercut AMC and other theaters and release "Halloween Kills" on VOD.

Since Halloween 4 in 1988, I have seen every Halloween movie in the theater (with the exception of the two Rob Zombie films....which I don't think are Halloween movies). And if I miss out on what could be a great sequel just because Universal is having a slap fight with AMC, then............I guess I'll just be mad because what am I going to do to them? I'll still hate them, though.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow, this is pretty big. Granted, it sounds like the rule will likely revert back for next year's Oscars, but still...

https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-make-big-rule-changes-in-the-face-of-the-coronavirus/
Didn't click. Are they bringing back Best Commercial Movie?
Fairview
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow, this is pretty big. Granted, it sounds like the rule will likely revert back for next year's Oscars, but still...

https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-make-big-rule-changes-in-the-face-of-the-coronavirus/

Wait...does this mean The Tiger King now eligible? I don't know what the rules are for documentary's.
Pahdz
So now it's starting to make sense why the guy who sold me Xfinity internet called me a couple weeks back to see why I hadn't activated the streaming box thing they gave me for free. It's actually pretty slick and comes with peacock for free.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

I will be BEYOND pi$$ed if Universal decides to undercut AMC and other theaters and release "Halloween Kills" on VOD.

Since Halloween 4 in 1988, I have seen every Halloween movie in the theater (with the exception of the two Rob Zombie films....which I don't think are Halloween movies). And if I miss out on what could be a great sequel just because Universal is having a slap fight with AMC, then............I guess I'll just be mad because what am I going to do to them? I'll still hate them, though.
This would honestly really piss me off. Especially because AMC is the only game in town where I live.

Not to mention the fact that a Halloween movie on opening weekend is a super fun experience. Especially on opening night, with the die hard Halloween fans. 2018 was a hell of a fun time in the theater with all the callbacks to the original movie.

Don't **** this up, AMC. Everyone knows you can't follow through on your threats, so figure this **** out before October.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Don't **** this up, AMC.

LOL @ yelling at the most vulnerable piece of the entire puzzle. Maybe Universal shouldn't be making irresponsible comments that could disrupt a very fragile industry and infrastructure.
fig96
AG
Yeah, while AMC seems to be overreacting it also wasn't a great call on Universal's part to talk about how they don't need theaters right now. Although it does feel like some are reading a lot into the Universal statement.

I expect backtracking by both parties sooner than later.
fig96
AG
And like clockwork...

Proposition Joe
I'm the dork that has a John Carpenter signed mask of Michael Myers proudly on display in my living room and even I didn't realize the apparent love many had for any of the movies after the original sequel.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Oh, most of them sucked a$$.

I actually liked 4, H20 and the 2018 movies. The rest were terrible. I still lined up to see each one opening weekend.

What is big about this one is that Halloween Kills will be the first I take my oldest son to see. It will be his first to see in the theater and he is already excited. I took him this past October to see the original at Cinemark and then we watched the first sequel and 2018 at home.
Proposition Joe
GiveEmHellBill said:

I actually liked 4, H20 and the 2018 movies. The rest were terrible. I still lined up to see each one opening weekend.

What is big about this one is that Halloween Kills will be the first I take my oldest son to see. It will be his first to see in the theater and he is already excited. I took him this past October to see the original at Cinemark and then we watched the first sequel and 2018 at home.

Good to hear. Keep the streak alive.

I'm still a year or two away from my nephew being old enough to lay witness to my youth in the form of the entire Nightmare on Elm Street series. "The Original Freddy movie", "The gay Freddy movie", "The MTV Freddy movie", "The phoning-it-in Freddy movie", "The 3-D Freddy movie", "The meta Freddy movie".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's pretty sweet. Care to share a pic?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Don't **** this up, AMC.

LOL @ yelling at the most vulnerable piece of the entire puzzle. Maybe Universal shouldn't be making irresponsible comments that could disrupt a very fragile industry and infrastructure.
And AMC should've have overreacted like a child throwing a tantrum, and should've reached out to Universal directly. It was not a good look.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
H2 isn't too bad. Not nearly on the level of the original, but still pretty good by 80's horror standards.

H3, while not a Michael Myers movie, also pretty decent. If it didn't have "Halloween" in the title, it would probably be a bit of a cult classic, imo.

H4 - It really bugs me how bad the mask is in this movie, because I think everything else about the movie is solid. Good performances, solid story, good atmosphere. Easily the best of the 4-5-6 trio. But god, that stupid mask...

H20 - The best sequel, imo. (Pre-2018)

2018 - Great.

H5, H6, Resurrection - Absolutely terrible.

RZ's H1/H2 - I don't even count these.

Overall, that's not a bad batting average for a horror franchise, tbh. At least it's more good than bad.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Proposition Joe said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

I'm still a year or two away from my nephew being old enough to lay witness to my youth in the form of the entire Nightmare on Elm Street series. "The Original Freddy movie", "The gay Freddy movie", "The MTV Freddy movie", "The phoning-it-in Freddy movie", "The 3-D Freddy movie", "The meta Freddy movie".

Once he is old enough the only one he will care about is the one with the hot nurse.
Proposition Joe
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's pretty sweet. Care to share a pic?

It's amazing girls talk to me:

Brian Earl Spilner
Bunk Moreland

Finally someone in Hollywood stepping up to help the folks who need it most in the industry.

Good for Berlanti
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/features/theaters-reopening-plan-coronavirus-john-fithian-1234592228/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Proposition Joe said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Okay, one more on this and I won't derail it any further.

Just last night, my son told me he noticed I had the first four or five "Nightmare" movies on DVD, except for the second one ( ".......the gay one, right?"). I laughed and said "yeah, not that one."
Sex Panther
AG
Gay Freddy??
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A Bohemian on Rhapsody Street
Proposition Joe
Sex Panther said:

Gay Freddy??

No. Actually the last "dark" Freddy (before New Nightmare) before the MTV generation took over and made him cool with one-lines.

But the lead actor was very obviously gay (though still in the closet in real life), and the director denied embracing that in any kind of way but later admitted he was looking to tap into that kind of "horror" a young boy might have about his sexual identity. There's a S&M gay bar, "toweling" of the naked gym teacher, a ridiculous dance, a reluctance to do anything sexual with the girl lead, and enough "unintentionally" suggestive lines that it would make Tobias Funke blush.
Bunk Moreland

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love how this thread had taken a detour into discussion on the Halloween sequels, and now gay Freddy.
Aust Ag
AG
Saw where Tom and Rita are donating plasma, good Tom.

Random thought. They have been married for over 30 years. About time for her to go by Rita Hanks. I think people will still know who she is.
mrsbeer05
AG
She probably does in her personal life. Just like David Bowie was David Jones in real life.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lionsgate-sets-new-dates-john-wick-4-spiral-1292904
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No surprise there on JW. That whole Keanu Reeves Day thing was just bizarre and obviously never intended to happen.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/texas-movie-theaters-reopening-1202228918/

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-movie-theater-chains-reopen-new-precautions-1501601

(misleading pic, as AMC isn't one of the chains, but whatever)
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/westworld-the-mandalorian-coronavirus-post-production-1234593473/
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt some of these ideas/precautions come to fruition, but a few of them are wild. They're out of their minds if they think a person going to the theater alone is going to buy two tickets and a meal. That would be roughly a $45 trip to the movie for *just* me. Even I wouldn't pay that much...

https://theplaylist.net/alamo-drafthouse-new-policies-reopen-20200505

Aust Ag
AG
Gee, looks like a great time.
fig96
AG
I got this survey too, but for me there's actually not much that doesn't work. Movies are our weekend date night a couple times a month so dinner, drinks, and tickets are our usual. I realize I may not be the typical customer though.

I did have a wtf moment at no coughing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.