*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,941 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Haha. I hear what you are saying, but if the cost of VOD is what it is now ($20 for a rental), thats totally different then it being able to rent for $3.99 on Amazon. The market for premium VOD is much smaller if theaters are open and showing the movie too, IMO.
MBAR
AG
veryfuller said:

I think the little theater doesn't need to worry about this. They can show the movie during the window, and keep showing it after if it brings them in money or stop if it doesn't. They lose the VOD cash, but I doubt the VOD cash is going to be that significant. VOD has been doing well because there isn't a theater option. If the option is open, I think most people will chose the theater until they can stream the movies for "free" on whatever subscription service they have.
I would happily do VOD for like at least half of the movies I go to theaters for. I'd even pay more for VOD.

For a movie like Tenet, I'll see it in theaters. But for almost everything else? My couch is better, IMO. Better food, I can pause if I need to go to the restroom, no annoying distractions from other people.
Bunk Moreland
I would still go see every movie I normally see in the theater in the theater. I could see watching a movie on demand that I would not have chosen to go see in the theater though and maybe paying a bit more, but not $20 to stream it.

I love the theater because it's dark, you can check out of the world/your phone, and during that run-time it's just you and the film. Call it lack of self control or just the availability of distractions, but I can't mimic that at home even with a badass TV and sound system. Still doesn't feel quite the same.
mrsbeer05
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I would still go see every movie I normally see in the theater in the theater. I could see watching a movie on demand that I would not have chosen to go see in the theater though and maybe paying a bit more, but not $20 to stream it.

I love the theater because it's dark, you can check out of the world/your phone, and during that run-time it's just you and the film. Call it lack of self control or just the availability of distractions, but I can't mimic that at home even with a badass TV and sound system. Still doesn't feel quite the same.
This.

Add in kids and the movie theater is even better for blocking out distractions. No asking to pause to get a blanket, go to the bathroom, or just see how much longer the movie is. Plus they have Icees, popcorn, and candy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Rick Dalton said:

fig96 said:

Also, these theaters aren't going to willingly pass on the Fast, Jurassic Park, Minions, Dreamworks, etc., franchises.
And yet this is the exact position that AMC took when Universal sent Trolls World Tour straight to PVOD. The other theater chains would be foolish not to take the same position to try to get a similar deal.
I'd pay $20 to have someone rip the memory of Trolls World tour out of my memory.
fig96
AG
Rick Dalton said:

fig96 said:

Also, these theaters aren't going to willingly pass on the Fast, Jurassic Park, Minions, Dreamworks, etc., franchises.
And yet this is the exact position that AMC took when Universal sent Trolls World Tour straight to PVOD. The other theater chains would be foolish not to take the same position to try to get a similar deal.
I'm not saying they won't try, but they also have no leverage to hardline here. If they say "take it or don't take it" they're the ones that are left out in the cold.

Outside of a few of the other big chains (Cinemark and Regal?) there's just not enough bargaining power on the side of the theaters.
Sex Panther
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Agree 100%
'03ag
I would pay $50 easily to VOD the Top Gun sequel right now.

And I'd still see it in theaters when it comes out. At least twice.
The Collective
AG
'03ag said:

I'd pay a million bucks to watch Tenet and Top Gun 2... at the same time.
double aught
AG
'03ag said:

I'd rather wait for the theater personally.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
'03ag said:

I was planning on seeing this on the largest screen possible, maybe even in IMAX (which I rarely do).

So, I'll wait. I have a nice home theater setup and large TV, but this is not how I ever envisioned seeing this film for the first time.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/more-than-80-percent-of-the-u-s-tenet-theaters-september-3-1234577156/
fig96
AG
Gotta be honest, if it's in theaters here in Austin I'm game.

We always pick a set of seats that are off on a section of their own (a 2 seat wide section) and if they're skipping rows the only person we'd deal with the entire visit is the server.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Yeah, I'd imagine you'll be fine in that scenario.

In combination with a mask, I may or may not have bought a clear-shield visor specifically to see *this* movie in theaters. Though, who knows when LA will finally allow theaters to re-open. It's going to be maddening seeing all the discussion here I likely won't be able to take part in for however long...
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
What is "the green knight"? From the poster it looks like a Biggie Smalls bioepic

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There is no reason to charge people to see a movie on a service they're paying for.

Either put it on Disney+, or don't.
YNWA_AG
AG
I'm sure you don't have to have the service for this one
TCTTS
AG
The reason is... money. In lieu of box office dollars. Do you really expect a studio to release a tentpole blockbuster on a streaming platform for only the $5.99 price of a monthly subscription? That would make no sense financially.
TCTTS
AG
I think you do, actually.
TCTTS
AG
I could be wrong, but everything I'm reading is saying this is a Disney+ exclusive. And will only be offered in theaters in territories where Disney+ is not available. So you either pay or are already paying $5.99 to subscribe, and then pay an additional $29.99 for the movie itself.

Quote:

In a surprise development, Disney announced Tuesday that Mulan will be offered to Disney+ customers in the U.S. and other top markets at a premium price if $29.99.

The debut date is Sept 4. In addition to the U.S., it will be made available to Disney+ customers in Canada, New Zealand, Australia and many Western European countries.

In territories where it doesn't debut on Disney+, Mulan will be made available to cinemas. The movie's release date in theaters has been delayed numerous times because of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mulan-heads-disney-us-select-countries-at-new-premium-price-1298688
TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Interesting. Didn't expect that
TCTTS
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Not to be flippant, but if COVID-19 had threatened to delay a Star Wars movie from opening in 2020, me and the legions of super nerds would have donated our life savings to have that vaccine out already.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.