*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,936 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?

You hear that?

No...shh. Listen...Way in the distance...

...that's the sound of the train comin!
TCTTS
AG

I can't read the article because of the paywall, but apparently it's pretty misleading. A lot of people saying it's a causing a lot of confusing and that theaters (along with a ton of other stuff) CAN be open in LA by July, even with this new order, which allows for a gradual re-oping over the course of these three months. These people - from the LA Times to LA County - need to get their sh/t together and get the messaging on point...
Bunk Moreland
Irresponsible local politician not understanding the weight of their words. They basically qualified it completely by saying "unless things change" so that opens it up to whatever.

You aren't going to have beaches open in LA county, thousands and thosuands of protestors standing next to each other all while there's a "stay at home" order for months. That would then make them look like the dumbest local gov't of all time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had a feeling someone would jump out ahead of Tenet at the last minute just to be first.

Kind of a shady move, honestly. Nolan deserves to be first for standing firm. The rest are following because of him.
TCTTS
AG
Finally managed to get behind the paywall. Here are the relevant excerpts, which certainly make it seem like theaters can and will still be open by July...

Quote:

"Our hope is that by using the data, we'd be able to slowly lift restrictions over the next three months," she said.
Quote:

In L.A. County, confirmed cases and deaths have continued to rise, even though beaches in the county are set to reopen on Wednesday, just days after the county lifted restrictions on hiking trails, parks and golf courses and allowed curbside pickup at nonessential businesses.
Quote:

The update to L.A.'s stay-at-home orders comes as officials try to satisfy two needs: restarting the economy under a new normal while also ensuring that the resurgence in activity doesn't upend progress in the fight against the coronavirus.
Quote:

Under the plan, some in-restaurant dining, car washes and shopping malls could also be allowed to reopen in coming weeks if public health officials in a county are able to demonstrate that the spread of the virus has stabilized and that they have adequate testing and hospital capacity.
Quote:

Newsom suggested Friday that the guidelines would be later modified on a statewide basis, allowing larger counties hit hardest by the outbreak to also reopen more broadly.
Sex Panther
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Irresponsible local politician not understanding the weight of their words. They basically qualified it completely by saying "unless things change" so that opens it up to whatever.

You aren't going to have beaches open in LA county, thousands and thosuands of protestors standing next to each other all while there's a "stay at home" order for months. That would then make them look like the dumbest local gov't of all time.

Oh Four Five
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

littlebitofhifi said:

So here's a Disney+ idea. Wonder if rather than a big budget movie, they'd consider releasing Hamilton early?

That's about 15 months ahead of schedule. I realize it's different since it was filmed during live shows and not a full-on production, but that still seems like quite a jump. I know next to nothing about the movie making process. Would you expect that it was nearly complete already and they were holding it until a better release date or did they fast track it and get it ready in a ridiculously short time?
TCTTS
AG
I imagine the 2021 release had less to do with any kind of production schedule and more to do with rights issues and territories and things things like that. As I understand it, before the virus, there were still live shows playing in parts of the country, right? If so, my guess is that whatever the streaming deal entailed, 2021 was because a significant portion of the shows were going to be done by then. But now, with no new shows for who knows how long, I bet the powers that be decided to tear up the existing contract.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Yep. My understanding was that it was nearly out of post before it even went out for bidding. I'm sure if held until the 2021 date they would have filmed/edited some more retrospectives or features for it but the performance itself was done or nearly done with post already.
fig96
AG
TCTTS
The Collective
AG
It is pretty crazy to think that Disney World is still closed. Can't even comprehend the losses from idling so many different properties and businesses.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hamilton is a huge get for Disney+ this summer.
Urban Ag
AG
I Have Spoken said:

It is pretty crazy to think that Disney World is still closed. Can't even comprehend the losses from idling so many different properties and businesses.
Yeah it's a real shame and I am of the notion that once the parks open back up they are going to run at significant losses for the foreseeable future. There's an equilibrium point between park guests and active employees that is going to be nearly impossible to achieve with all new safety procedures and just general trepidation by the public to get out in large crowds.

Interesting to look at their stock. The 52 week high was 151.64 on Nov 26. It held close to that high through the holidays all the way to Feb 20th (within about 5%). The stock went in to free fall on Feb 20 and bottomed out March 23 at 85.76 (about 43% of their 52 week high). It's since rebounded and as is sitting at about 103 this morning or about 33% off the high in Nov. Wall Street has the complete uncertainty of when and how the parks will be reopened baked in to that stock price. That considered, I think it's pretty telling how strong the market values the worth of the company when a major portion of their revenues are on ice with no good idea of when reopening the parks and cruise line will be and even what that will look like.
Urban Ag
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Yeah it's a real shame and I am of the notion that once the parks open back up they are going to run at significant losses for the foreseeable future. There's an equilibrium point between park guests and active employees that is going to be nearly impossible to achieve with all new safety procedures and just general trepidation by the public to get out in large crowds.

Interesting to look at their stock. The 52 week high was 151.64 on Nov 26. It held close to that high through the holidays all the way to Feb 20th (within about 5%). The stock went in to free fall on Feb 20 and bottomed out March 23 at 85.76 (about 43% off their 52 week high). It's since rebounded and as is sitting at about 103 this morning or about 33% off the high in Nov. Wall Street has the complete uncertainty of when and how the parks will be reopened baked in to that stock price. That considered, I think it's pretty telling how strong the market values the worth of the company when a major portion of their revenues are on ice with no good idea of when reopening the parks and cruise line will be and even what that will look like.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Worth mentioning that Disney Springs is opening up in Orlando on May 20, which is at least a good sign that the WDW parks will likely reopen in 2020, and probably within the next few months. (I believe reservations are now open for July 1 and beyond. For now.)

But again, how much of a profit they'll be bringing in is the more important question.

There's been some speculation that it'll open up just for locals in the first week or two, in order to ramp things up slowly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

And so it begins...

https://www.thewrap.com/amc-theatres-stock-jumps-42-report-amazon-exploring-possible-acquisition/

Jesus Christ lol. It was the wrong AMC.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/amc-networks-shares-rise-amc-entertainment-dips-after-amazon-report-update-1202932702/
TCTTS
AG
Hahahaha, wow. Of course.
TCTTS
AG
Great article...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/14/christopher-nolan-tenet-reopening/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disney-idUSKBN22Q3AD
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/green-knight-last-night-in-soho-release-date-delayed-20200516/
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/vfx-work-cloud-covid-19-1234605503/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Wow...

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tom-hanks-greyhound-apple-tv-wwii-action-film-apple-wins-auction-1202938467/
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/james-mangold-theatrical-experience-streaming-20200519/
Bunk Moreland
that's a pretty weak anecdote to use as a rant against "theaters" imo.

If anything, the advances made at my local theaters over the last 5 years brought me back to the theater much more than the 5 years prior.
fig96
AG
Seconded, with the advent of comfortable reserved seats, good food, willingness to kick people out, we're at the movies more than we used to be.
TCTTS
AG
Yesterday, with the announcement that California and New York are finally ready to allow sports again on June 1st - albeit without fans - I was more optimistic than ever that momentum was building faster than expected to pave the way for things like theaters to for sure be open by July, as planned. And while I still believe that to be the case, the latest episode of The Big Picture podcast certainly offers a dose of reality and puts a damper on the situation. Yes, there's a lot of "... but will we feel safe?" talk, though it's the financial realties discussed that now have me questioning more than ever if we'll see a new movie in theaters before September. Sean and Amanda are plugged in about as much possible, and they site sources they've talked to along with recent, prominent articles on the matter. That said, they *do* wonder aloud if they're looking at this whole situation too much from the LA bubble. Regardless, the episode is worth it for not only the Tenet talk, but the theatrical situation as a whole...

https://www.theringer.com/2020/5/19/21263470/can-christopher-nolans-tenet-reopen-theaters
TCTTS
AG
This could be another big domino to fall that could potentially affect the entire theatrical landscape for the second half of the year...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/oscars-2021-postponed-possibly-1234610694/
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow...

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tom-hanks-greyhound-apple-tv-wwii-action-film-apple-wins-auction-1202938467/

Well I wasn't expecting this movie to make much to begin with but this just seals the deal that no one will see it.
TCTTS
AG
I disagree. The movie itself doesn't look particularly good to me, but I think it's going to be huge for Apple TV+.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I disagree. The movie itself doesn't look particularly good to me, but I think it's going to be huge for Apple TV+.
I disagree with that a lot. People aren't getting Apple TV for a movie if they didn't get it for the Morning Show, IMO.
TCTTS
AG
You think The Morning Show audience is the same as the audience for a WWII film? Either way, I didn't say it was going to equal massive new subscriptions. But most people who have Apple TV+ are still getting it for free for this first year, and I think a huge chunk of them will tune in. That said, an Apple TV+ subscription is only $4.99/month. The Morning Show was released weekly over three months, so it cost nearly $15 to watch and required a ten-week commitment. This, on the other hand, is basically a $4.99 movie you can knock out in one sitting and then cancel the subscription. That's a steal compared to the $20+ most of these direct-to-streaming movies have been charging. That, and all the dads and the olds are going to be on cloud nine getting to watch a Tom Hanks WWII movie from the comfort of their own recliners, especially if it drops while the theater experience is still either nonexistent or limited. Release this, say, over the July 4th holiday and I guarantee you people will watch the hell out of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.