*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,962 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
aggieactor01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Also, I think you're underestimating how many people straight up don't give a sh*t about the virus and will be showing up regardless.

I agree. Look at the public beaches that have re-opened. People sure as hell weren't 6-feet apart. I suppose an argument for that is the ventilation aspect.

I'd like to go, but I'm not willing to risk the health of my family on the sanitizing efforts of a teenage kid working at the movie theater. And I feel like a crazy person taking my own chlorox wipes there and wiping everything down myself.
Just curious why you would feel crazy taking your own wipes? I certainly don't think you'll be the only one. I'll have my own whenever I go back so there will at least be two of us.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

MBAR said:

Honestly what's the point at 25% capacity

There isn't any.

Theaters are dead until a vaccine.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh....
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The problem theaters have in the short run (like so many other places) is that they are assuredly cash-flow insolvent. They are going to need new liquidity just to re-start operations. Then there's still the landlord to pay and whatever other outstanding debt is on the books.
fig96
AG
Universal Just Told the World That Theaters Are No Longer the Priority
After the premium VOD success of "Trolls: World Tour," theaters are still important but studios will use them as they see fit.

Quote:

Very early this morning, Universal Studios dropped a bomb courtesy of The Wall Street Journal: No matter when or how theaters reopen, premium VOD is going to be part of its new normal.

Crediting "a person familiar with the matter," the premium VOD release of "Trolls World Tour" generated $100 million in revenue in three weeks more than the original "Trolls" did in its time in theaters in 2017. And in case that wasn't clear enough, a quote from parent company CEO Jeff Shell took a highlighter to it: "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats."
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/universal-vod-trolls-world-tour-theaters-1202227804/
mrsbeer05
AG
fig96 said:

After the premium VOD success of "Trolls: World Tour," theaters are still important but studios will use them as they see fit.

Quote:

Very early this morning, Universal Studios dropped a bomb courtesy of The Wall Street Journal: No matter when or how theaters reopen, premium VOD is going to be part of its new normal.

Crediting "a person familiar with the matter," the premium VOD release of "Trolls World Tour" generated $100 million in revenue in three weeks more than the original "Trolls" did in its time in theaters in 2017. And in case that wasn't clear enough, a quote from parent company CEO Jeff Shell took a highlighter to it: "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats."
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/universal-vod-trolls-world-tour-theaters-1202227804/
I can see this. I have friends who have rented Trolls 3-4 times at $19.99 a pop.
Bunk Moreland
****. That doesn't fit my model and I am not ready to conform. I'll keep going to the movie theater as long as they'll stay open.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

One major, major factor with this movie that the studio is either forgetting or ignoring:

This movie had a 100% captive audience that literally had no choice in seeing this movie in a theater. None. It was either VOD or nothing.

Of course they made a lot of money on it: it had been advertised since the beginning of the year and was the only NEW children's movie in the past two months. And with every child stuck at home, of course mom & dad bought the movie for them.

When theaters are open again, you will find parents who want to get the kids out of the house for a few hours and a movie is welcome.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

fig96 said:

Quote:

One major, major factor with this movie that the studio is either forgetting or ignoring:

This movie had a 100% captive audience that literally had no choice in seeing this movie in a theater. None. It was either VOD or nothing.

Of course they made a lot of money on it: it had been advertised since the beginning of the year and was the only NEW children's movie in the past two months. And with every child stuck at home, of course mom & dad bought the movie for them.

When theaters are open again, you will find parents who want to get the kids out of the house for a few hours and a movie is welcome.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

It's like a Mexican restaurant being the only open restaurant in town, running out of beef tacos, selling only chicken tacos in their absence, and then saying, "Based on the extraordinary sales of chicken tacos, when beef tacos are once again in stock, we will only be selling them on Tuesdays."

This is so short-sided and not at all reflective of what post-covid habits will be, once people can leave their homes again and safely enjoy myriad entertainment options once more.
TCTTS
AG
Also, damn it, now I want tacos for lunch.
Fenrir
Not even buying it. It's a 20 dollar rental, at least when I checked on it.
Bunk Moreland
one of the other movies that had just moved into theaters before the rona went to VOD and I logged on to rent it and when I saw it was $20 I did a 50 cent drive by laugh and moved on to other things to watch.

I know $20 is a bargain for the theater experience in NYC, LA, Chicago, Austin etc...but I can see one here in XD for $9. I'm not paying $20 to watch it at home and not get the silver screen experience either.
fig96
AG
Totally agree, I think Trolls is an interesting case study but using it a model moving forward has a lot of flaws.

As you mentioned, I think it being a new kids film during this period of time (vs an action flick, drama, etc.) also had a huge impact.
Quad Dog
AG
We were a family that payed to watch Trolls 2. I'd definitely do it again over going to the theater. We turned out all the light, popped some popcorn, I had some whiskey, and watched the movie in PJs and under blankets. Probably saved $30 by not buying concessions or even more if it was a theater that serves dinner.

Some event movies will always be better in a theater, but most movies released, especially kids ones, just make more sense at home.
Bunk Moreland
Is there any angle in all this that could potentially lead to more original content in the future? Or is this only assuring more of the same bull**** comic book movies and sequels era we've been suffering in?
Bunk Moreland
if it's a family experience movie I totally get that.
littlebitofhifi
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

But isn't this headline pretty misleading? Even the quoted part above highlights that they'll exploit both formats. This feels no different than when VHS, cable networks, etc. came out. Will it impact box office? Sure. But will box office go away? Absolutely not. It's just one more way to monetize content.

The question I have is how quickly we get to movie fatigue the way we've reached "peak tv". I for one love television, but it's exhausting trying to keep tabs of it all. When I have to keep tabs of which movie is debuting in theater (wide vs limited), which streaming service, VOD rental vs purchased, etc, it's going to be annoying.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Quad Dog said:

We were a family that payed to watch Trolls 2. I'd definitely do it again over going to the theater. We turned out all the light, popped some popcorn, I had some whiskey, and watched the movie in PJs and under blankets. Probably saved $30 by not buying concessions or even more if it was a theater that serves dinner.

Some event movies will always be better in a theater, but most movies released, especially kids ones, just make more sense at home.
I've never touched alcohol but if I have to sit through Trolls 2 again, I'll be calling you for my own flask.
TCTTS
AG
Wow, this is pretty big. Granted, it sounds like the rule will likely revert back for next year's Oscars, but still...

https://www.thewrap.com/oscars-make-big-rule-changes-in-the-face-of-the-coronavirus/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-04-28/coronavirus-reopening-california-hollywood-production-restart
Nuclear Scramjet
fig96 said:

Quote:

Not paying $19.99 to rent a movie. I'll just wait longer. There is so much out there that you can watch now that there is no reason to ever pay full price.

However, if someone were to design a streaming service for all Hollywood new releases where you pay X amount of money per month for all new releases for streaming. Many people would be willing to pay $50/month for something like this.
Bunk Moreland

Shots fired!
Counterpoint
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Shots fired!

Wow!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Geez AMC, sensitive much?
TCTTS
AG
Ain't no way AMC is missing out on...

- No Time to Die
- F9
- Jurassic World: Dominion
- Minions: The Rise of Gru

... over the next year or so. This is all posturing, and nothing more.

That said, it *is* kind of funny how sensitive AMC is being. I understand that tensions are high, but this isn't the way to deal with inevitability.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That email reads like an angry whiny teenager, it's kind of embarrassing/hilarious.

And yeah, agreed. This is an obvious intimidation tactic. This'll get resolved before Halloween Kills in October.
Bunk Moreland
Agree its posturing but I think it's necessary. How are you supposed to glean confidence from shareholders about the future of your business when it's already dire and a major production company comes out and says they'll be transitioning away from that model?

They can't sit back and thank Universal. Had to come out with a strong reaction even if they know they'll ultimately cave down the road.
TCTTS
AG
It really is embarrassing. My favorite part is the use of "effective immediately," as if AMC is even going to be open at any point over the next two months. Also, like Fennessey says, AMC has NO leverage. With possible bankruptcy talk still fresh (though it looks like they'll be avoiding that), why would you choose this to be your response? I understand it's kind of like a cornered animal lashing out, but the ONLY way forward for theater chains is to understand that streaming is here to stay, release windows are shrinking, and they're going to have embrace that reality, get inventive, work with studios, etc. It's madness.
TCTTS
AG

Bunk Moreland
AMC is making the news now to force a discussion because of exactly what you said... They may not be around in 2 months anyway. If the largest theater chain goes extinct that would be brutal for Hollywood.

They have no leverage but nothing to lose either.
TCTTS
AG
For the record, I think all of this prognosticating is extreme and reactionary and AMC will no doubt cave eventually, but it's interesting to see these kinds of discussions in the moment.
TCTTS
AG
Very true.
TCTTS
AG

Quad Dog
AG
Universal with the grand plan to buy up AMCs assets in bankruptcy.
oragator
The letter came across as petulant, but don't blame them generally . Throwing a number out there, but if 30 percent of people choose the video option (and on kids movies it will be much higher likely)...Universal is basically taking 30 percent of their revenue on every Movie. No way to stay profitable in that business model. And NBC should have known better than to be so cavalier about it, especially now when nerves are already frayed.
Don't know if AMC will win and could have been more professional, but they aren't wrong for freaking out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.