*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,024 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to derail, but as we were learning more and more about the virus/situation, there were multiple threads over there that had some of the best, up-to-date info, and some really smart/helpful analyzation. For a time, it was an incredible resource. But it of course devolved into the typical hyper-politicalization, name calling, conspiracy theorizing, etc, and I regretfully got sucked in trying to challenge some of the more moronic takes.
fig96
AG
As I have learned, totally not worth it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pahdz said:

why does anyone even visit that forum?
Spend 5 minutes there and you'll feel infinitely smarter and also understand why so much stupid stuff happens in the country.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/concert-refunds-rescheduled-coronavirus-1234582636/
TCTTS
AG
Looks like AMC could be back from the brink, as yet another major theater chain is now aiming for a beginning-of-July time frame to hopefully be up-and-running again...

https://deadline.com/2020/04/amc-issues-500m-in-debt-to-stay-liquid-shares-spike-on-u-s-reopening-plan-1202910780/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You thinking the marketing machine might start up again in the month of May?
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS
AG
Awesome news. The sooner the better. Once they get protocols in place, hopefully most everything can get back to filming by May/June-ish.
Mr. White
TCTTS said:

Looks like AMC could be back from the brink, as yet another major theater chain is now aiming for a beginning-of-July time frame to hopefully be up-and-running again...

https://deadline.com/2020/04/amc-issues-500m-in-debt-to-stay-liquid-shares-spike-on-u-s-reopening-plan-1202910780/
Will the first movie we see in a theater in months be TENET?

*drool*
TCTTS
AG
Knock on wood, but as of now, I really think it might. It's currently the earliest scheduled movie on the calendar - July 17 - and the fact that Warner Bros. STILL hasn't moved it tells me they're all in on their gamble. Combined with the tweet I posted a couple days ago, which basically said that because there are no other releases, even if theaters are only allowed to be half full, a movie like Tenet can play on way more screens, and thus presumably make the same or even more money than it would have otherwise. That said, who knows how many people will actually feel safe going to theaters in mid-July, and a million things could happen between now and then, but if it actually pans out that Tenet is our first movie back, what great way to kick-off/celebrate movie-going again.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You thinking the marketing machine might start up again in the month of May?

IF Tenet and WW84 hold their spots, yeah, I think marketing hopefully kicks off again in May. Nearly every major blockbuster for 2020 was rumored to debut a new trailer with Black Widow on May 1, so I could definitely see Tenet, WW84, and maybe a couple others, sticking to that general time frame and start releasing trailers again early next month. We shall see...
nosoupforyou
AG
with the open and available screens, for the May-August timeline that's vacant from Biggest Blockbusters that were moved out, will the Theaters be bringing back classic movies to the theaters? That might be fun to re-live classic movies to the Big Screen
TCTTS
AG
That the plan, it sounds like. Cinemark specifically mentioned doing that when the doors first open again.
mrsbeer05
AG
nosoupforyou said:

with the open and available screens, for the May-August timeline that's vacant from Biggest Blockbusters that were moved out, will the Theaters be bringing back classic movies to the theaters? That might be fun to re-live classic movies to the Big Screen
Cinemark does/did this monthly. I know I would be excited to just get out of the house, so what is showing doesn't really matter.
TennAg
What's the distance between rows on the luxury loungers type theater setup. Gotta be right around 6' right?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly surprised it took them this long.
TCTTS
AG
TennAg said:

What's the distance between rows on the luxury loungers type theater setup. Gotta be right around 6' right?

The ones at my local AMC are definitely closer than six feet apart. I'd feel comfortable skipping every other recliner there.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

TennAg said:

The ones at my local AMC are definitely closer than six feet apart. I'd feel comfortable skipping every other recliner there.
At Movie House we like to get the two seats on the far side of the aisle, so we'd be pretty distanced to start with. I think you're right though, more like 4 feet between rows of lounge seating.
LawHall88
AG
TCTTS said:

TennAg said:

I'm honestly not a "the virus will kill us all" guy, but for the sake of discussion, say an infected, asymptomatic guy goes to the first showing, movie ends, they clear the theater, I come in and sit in his seat, put my hand on the same armrest, etc., am I at any risk?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Yes.

That said, theaters will no doubt be disinfecting between screenings. My local theater had already starting doing so before the shut down; wiping down seats, ticket taker using hand sanitizer, etc. Now, whether or not you trust a minimum wage high school kid to properly disinfect an entire theater is another story...
LawHall88
AG
C@LAg said:

LawHall88 said:

TCTTS said:

TennAg said:

I'm honestly not a "the virus will kill us all" guy, but for the sake of discussion, say an infected, asymptomatic guy goes to the first showing, movie ends, they clear the theater, I come in and sit in his seat, put my hand on the same armrest, etc., am I at any risk?
yes, you are at risk of catching it or being a carrier. dependent on your age, health and other things, you may not have much in the way or symptoms or may not get too ill from it..
Makes sense. I suppose at some point we'll all just need to accept that for awhile anyway we can't eliminate all risk if we ever want to leave the house.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I'll probably be wearing both a mask and gloves to the theater for at least a while. Won't touch my face in public. Then, when I get home after, the clothes I wore to the theater go straight in the wash. Other than that, I'm going to try to live as normally as possible.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Exactly. I'll probably be wearing both a mask and gloves to the theater for at least a while. Won't touch my face in public. Then, when I get home after, the clothes I wore to the theater go straight in the wash. Other than that, I'm going to try to live as normally as possible.

So you're becoming Michael Jackson
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Only if he takes a little kid with him
Fairview
AG
TCTTS said:

While not ideal I know there are people like posters on this board that will do that but Im curious how many people will find it worth the effort to mask and glove up to go to a theater. With a family that is a pain in the ass and you have to worry about the kids (I'm even talking teenagers) touching their faces and stuff. Also, you said it earlier, but how much do you trust the people that work there to sanitize properly. I hope they figure it out though and we can get back to going to the movies and out of the current suckage of today.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

Masks are literally a city-wide requirement here.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I know you didn't mean it that way but that posted is unintentionally hilarious
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

It's literally a city-wide requirement here.
To become Michael Jackson? LA is too far gone, now.
TCTTS
AG
I reread it the second I posted it and immediately hit the edit button.
Counterpoint
AG
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

Hee-hee!
Sex Panther
AG
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

TCTTS
AG
Really does feel like it could come down to the wire for Tenet...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/wonder-woman-1984-mulan-movie-theaters-reopen-july-1234583328/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.