*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,985 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might check out Nobody this weekend.

(Considering Godzilla vs Kong in IMAX but I already have it for "free" on HBO, so not sure yet.)
jimscott85
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

(Considering Godzilla vs Kong in IMAX but I already have it for "free" on HBO, so not sure yet.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know, I know. I almost wish it wasn't on HBO so it was an easier decision. But if there was ever a movie that is meant to be seen in IMAX, it's this one.
Carlo4
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody is worth the price of admission and then some. Really enjoyed it would be up your ally.
John Matrix
AG
Bought four tickets to Godzilla vs. Kong at the draft house. It'll be the first movie I've seen in theaters since a nearly vacant viewing of Batman '89 in June. It felt good.
MBAR
AG
I'm gonna watch Kong and Godzilla today at home but I'm 100% going to see it in the Movies this weekend. It will be an interesting comparison to how much better the movie theater actually is.
TCTTS
AG
jimscott85
AG
Which begs the question...did Disney jump too soon on Black Widow?
TCTTS
AG
It's certainly looking like it. Given the circumstances, GvK making nearly $10M on a Wednesday is obviously a huge deal. And BW would still be another five weeks after this.

At the very least, this gives me hope that Top Gun won't delay again, at least for pandemic reasons. But BW coming a week later still has me wondering if TG2 will try to shift for the sole purpose of avoiding the Marvel machine.
jimscott85
AG
TCTTS said:

It's certainly looking like it. Given the circumstances, GvK making nearly $10M on a Wednesday is obviously a huge deal. And BW would still be another five weeks after this.

At the very least, this gives me hope that Top Gun won't delay again, at least for pandemic reasons. But BW coming a week later still has me wondering if TG2 will try to shift for the sole purpose of avoiding the Marvel machine.
Yeah...a lot of variables:
- Lighter than normal film slate (more screens available than usual)
- Demographic crossover
- BW attendance will be somewhat muted by the Disney+ subscribers

This has to be a tough decision but I'd say stay and release as it is. There's a sweet spot where these earlier films could do better than they would if released in say early 2022 when the pent up frustration of being stuck with no new films has begun to settle.
TCTTS
AG
All good points.
Duncan Idaho
Looks like Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival is a go for Sept.

https://www.bonnaroo.com/
nosoupforyou
AG
How about this for Top Gun Maverick staying on July 2... Independence Day in the USA!!

Hollywood and American Patriotism.. please do me right just once Hollywood!!
jimscott85
AG
nosoupforyou said:

How about this for Top Gun Maverick staying on July 2... Independence Day in the USA!!

Hollywood and American Patriotism.. please do me right just once Hollywood!!
Hell yeah! And I'll throw in a less patriotic reason...although capitalism is patriotic right?!?!

There is NOTHING in the pipeline for content internationally. The majority of every single international market consists of Hollywood content. Even Bollywood can't beat out US content on a consistent basis.

If they were to drop Maverick worldwide in July, any potential US downside would be made up in multiples by the upside of virtually zero competition internationally. Even with a Black Widow drop a week later the single week should be huge. The only caveat might be Chinese censorship on a film consisting of US military content, though it appears we got the green light from the Chinese early on...

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-guns-maverick-appears-changed-to-please-chinas-communist-party-2019-7
nosoupforyou
AG
maybe they should move TG2 up to Wednesday June 30 launch instead of Friday July 2 to give it more time before BW?

Be sure to tell them my idea, haha...
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Seems like pretty logical thinking to me. May not always be right, but seems reasonable. Far from extremely idiotic.
YNWA_AG
AG
Went to see courier in theaters yesterday, and King Kong in imax looked pretty full for a noon showing
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Seems like we're going to need post-pandemic releases to get a better feel for that. Kong vs Godzilla should normally be a $100 million open so it's hard to gauge what 27.9 actually means, not to mention being the first blockbuster type movie released in theaters in a while.
jimscott85
AG
GvK hit $49M for the full opening weekend. Keep in mind that Regal had only 20 theaters open in total.

Speculating on what a single movie with zero "blockbuster" competition in this environment means for simultaneous release is idiotic. Period.

GvK will be in the black before the end of next week. For the studio, it's probably already in the black depending on how it allocates earnings from its streaming platform.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
God, I am so ready for the return of the blockbuster.

Let's do this thing!
Duncan Idaho
The most shocking thing to me about this is that it was a Godzilla movie that is going to signal the return of theaters.

YNWA_AG
AG
TCTTS
AG
jimscott85
AG
TCTTS said:

That sucks. A net loss from 2021 and extending the cashflow drought for the studios. I guess they just want to keep pushing this out until there are ZERO cases...and ZERO theaters still open because they all went bankrupt.
TCTTS
AG
Welp. This is pretty devastating. The most popular theater, and theater chain, in LA, is closing. Everyone is in shock. I thought we'd made it out of this thing without a major theater chain casualty, but I guess we were never going to be that lucky. The Dome, in particular, is absolutely iconic.

Another chain (or chains) will eventually buy up these locations, I'm sure, and The Dome will reopen at some point under new management, but it won't be the same.

This is just surreal...

https://deadline.com/2021/04/arclight-cinemas-and-pacific-theatres-wont-be-reopening-1234732936/
Bunk Moreland
Blame Gavin
TCTTS
AG
It's like a celebrity death or something...

Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Dude, that sh*t has NOTHING to do with the thousands of people who loved going to this theater on a weekly or monthly basis, for the past 20 years now.

What is about some of you that your gut instinct is to always lay blame or get your two cents in instead of, you know, first expressing even an ounce of empathy?

Theater owners weren't cheering on the closures. Theater employees weren't cheering on the closures. Theater goers weren't cheering on the closures.

There's nothing "self-inflicted" about this. We are not Newsom. We are not our sh*tty representatives.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
MW03
AG
TCTTS, for those of us outside LA/Hollywood, are these places like the beloved neighborhood bars and what not? I think if the Inwood closed, I'd be sad, but I think these places are different for you guys.

To put it another way, would this be like the Dixie Chicken closing?
WoMD
TCTTS said:

Theater goers weren't cheering on the closures.

There's nothing "self-inflicted" about this. We are not Newsom. We are not our sh*tty representatives.

Eh, many Californians supported this ****, so it can be argued that it was self inflicted due to the type of people you've knowingly put in charge. You voted for people who would do this. It was obvious the type of person Newsom is. So the consequences are a surprise to no one looking in.

I feel bad for those impacted, as I was one of them before leaving for Idaho (which is open and free of this type of nonsense) last fall. But to deny that the population is innocent in this is simply not true. The majority decided that these consequences were worth it. And alot of the people in the those tweets support complete government control in California, so they have no business *****ing about how things played out.

Sorry to make this political, but unfortunately everything that happens in California right now has a significant amount of political influence. And due to the political climate out there, it is almost all negative.

Elections (and progressivism) have consequences.
Fenrir
A year ago 75% of californians in a survey supported shelter in place orders for as long as necessary.

https://www.chcf.org/blog/covid-19-tracking-poll-75-californians-support-shelter-place-as-long-as-needed/

To pretend those people haven't received the natural end results of their desires is delusional regardless.of whether they would regret those consequences now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.