*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,047 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it can get black superman, are any of us safe?
fig96
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If it can get black superman, are any of us safe?
Speaking of, Hobbs & Shaw is 9.99 on iTunes and it's a really fun mindless good time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think we're at the point where the industry will see a tidal shift because of this event. This is gonna be a watershed moment. The theater-to-home window is gonna shrink exponentially, IMO.
TCTTS
AG
I think yes and no. The streaming platform wars combined with the effects of coronavirus is seemingly the perfect storm to usher in a huge shift in how studios release movies. That said, the biggest blockbusters won't be day-and-date streaming for years, if ever. Studios HAVE to keep theater owners happy, and preserve that relationship. Otherwise theater owners will riot and even the biggest chains would eventually go broke. But yeah, I think we're going to start seeing studios release smaller films like, say, The Way Back, to their respective new streaming platforms day-and-date (meaning, in this example, Warner Brothers releasing The Way Back day-and-date to HBO Max, along with iTunes and the like potentially).
TCTTS
AG

https://collider.com/why-coronavirus-will-change-how-we-watch-movies/
TCTTS
AG

https://collider.com/harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-early-vod-release-date/
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-avatar-sequels-suspend-filming-in-new-zealand-1202885235/
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Finally official...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/black-widow-release-coronavirus-1203532996/
Gigem314
AG
Really curious how this impact the industry long-term.

I guess it's likely that some ideas will get scrapped.

But do other major projects not in production get put on hold if studios are losing out on millions?

Will we see more streaming releases?
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

https://collider.com/harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-early-vod-release-date/
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314 said:

Really curious how this impact the industry long-term.

I guess it's likely that some ideas will get scrapped.

But do other major projects not in production get put on hold if studios are losing out on millions?

Will we see more streaming releases?

I don't think studios will de-commit from making anything they had already committed to making. Most of them have a sh*t ton of money regardless. What's going to screw some productions will be scheduling. Say a big actor was scheduled to shoot a movie in April and May, but was then scheduled to shoot something else in July. If the April/May shoot was postponed, which commitment does he/she have to honor? I'm sure it's all in the contracts, but that's going to be the interesting part. Then again, likely everything is getting pushed back, so that July start date might now be September. Might be a case by case basis.

As for more streaming releases, yeah, I think so. I doubt there's a big shift in 2020 in that regard - maybe toward the end of the year - but in 2021 we could really see some changes, especially with all the streaming platforms finally up and running.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sex Panther
AG
My friend has been in Europe working on The Last Duel, and it was shut down this week indefinitely. They were trying to evacuate him home. He said the assumption is they will pick it back up as soon as they can but no one really knows... Bummer for me personally as I was going to go to the UK to visit him during the shoot.

Also said they are way over budget but I don't know if that's because of this or even that big of a big deal. (TC - let me know if I shouldn't share that kind of information)
TCTTS
AG
I had been seeing some of his Insta stories. Looked amazing until now. And most movies are over budget, especially something of that size, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sucks that you don't get to go now.
nosoupforyou
AG
you hearing any potential changes on Top Gun 2? can they hold the date as is??
TCTTS
AG
Weekend before last, I saw my buddy who's working on it and he off-handedly made the remark "... if we release in June." A lot has happened in the the meantime, obviously, so I'm sure they're considering moving, more than ever, just like everyone else in June. My guess is that July releases are more than likely safe, but big June movies like Wonder Woman 1984 and Top Gun: Maverick could be cutting it close. Another issue is that I know TG:M was supposed to have its final trailer with Black Widow on May 1, but that's obviously scrapped now. None of these big summer movies are going to be able to advertise theatrically in March/April/May. And that's usually the prime final-trailer dropping window for all of them. Then again, with everyone and their dog holed up and watching TV, maybe TV marketing will be enough?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed. But that just got me thinking... no sporting events to play commercials with either. I guess the audience is still there, watching TV more than ever, but it might be tough to figure out what to market with.
Bunk Moreland
We're all anecdotes, but here's mine...since last Thursday afternoon when it was apparent everything was coming to a stop, I have not watched any regular programming television at all*

*The only thing I do is get on my youtube TV and turn on CNBC on mute/low volume in my office throughout the day.

At home I've been reading, watching streaming platforms, movies, going outside a bit more, etc. It's like regular programming doesn't exist to me until we get beyond this and normal television & sports resumes.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Need to edit in some scenes into Top Gun 2: Top Gunnier where Maverick is fighting against an AI-sentinent stealth bomber infected with the coronavirus.
Quad Dog
AG
Maybe we'll see trailers in front of the movies that are coming directly to/early to streaming like Invisible Man.
dave94
AG
Quad Dog said:

Maybe we'll see trailers in front of the movies that are coming directly to/early to streaming like Invisible Man.
That would be pretty cool.
BoydCrowder13
Disney should lock new Disney Plus subscribers in for 3 months minimum. Release Onward, Mulan and Black Widow on streaming. They'd lose some money but gain significant market share. They'd be the only game in town.
TCTTS
AG
Unless we're still dealing with the pandemic through the end of the year, and theaters are somehow still closed during that time, I would bet any amount of money that Disney doesn't release Black Widow on streaming before theaters. Probably the same for Mulan. Studios' relationships with theaters are too valuable to squander, even for a bigger market share in streaming.
MBAR
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Disney should lock new Disney Plus subscribers in for 3 months minimum. Release Onward, Mulan and Black Widow on streaming. They'd lose some money but gain significant market share. They'd be the only game in town.
There is zero chance of Mulan and Black Widow going to streaming on Disney + first. Its not available world wide, and streaming market share doesn't matter because the market is so fragmented its not like most people just have one service.

Disney needs Chinese theaters for both those films to make money.
Counterpoint
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Top Gun 2: Top Gunnier
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Counterpoint
AG
C@LAg said:

Counterpoint said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Top Gun 2: Top Gunnier

2 Top 2 Gun?
2 Top 2 Gun Presents: Hobbs & Maverick
Big Al 1992
AG
Top Gun 2 being released the same weekend the vaccine is proven to work and be released and we are free to go to theaters again would be epic. Labor Day Weekend.
TCTTS
AG
March 24

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/vin-diesel-bloodshot-watch-early-1203538379/
TCTTS
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Top Gun 2 being released the same weekend the vaccine is proven to work and be released and we are free to go to theaters again would be epic. Labor Day Weekend.

In all honestly, the more I read, hear, and sit with everything, personally, I don't think movie going will return to "normal" for quite some time. No one's turning a switch and suddenly we'll be able to just pack theaters again like we used to, right off the bat. Lifting these quarantines and restrictions will more than likely be done so in gradual, rolling fashion, over the course of the summer - or maybe even longer - to the point where I'm genuinely starting to wonder if we even get football this year. Or, if we do, maybe it's played without fans.

Let's say theaters open back up at some point in June. There's a high likelihood that even when/if they do, certain social distancing precautions and requirements are still going to be in place. Which means we could see something along the lines of theaters at a required half capacity, with viewers sitting, say, three seats apart or so. And let's say that lasts a month to six weeks or more. Is Warner Bros. going to want to release Wonder Woman 1984 - their biggest money-maker of the year - in early June (as currently planned) into theaters that are only half full? Will Paramount want to do the same for Top Gun: Maverick in late June? Especially if either of them weren't afforded proper marketing in the lead-up? With those kinds of questions and uncertainties looming, what does something like Tenet do in mid-July? What if, three weeks before its scheduled release, there's no way of knowing if theaters will be allowed at full capacity in three week's time?

I just don't know what happens this summer. It's such a massive question mark at this point. I hope I'm overreacting. I probably am. But as of now, it's looking pretty grim. That said, I would love nothing more than for someone to talk me out of this.
MBAR
AG
I think anyone expecting things to go back to normal anytime soon is not paying attention. There's really no way for us to know how the movies come back, but at this point I think its prudent to assume it will be a fairly slow walkback. We should take nothing for granted at this point in time.

There's a chance things come back in an easy fashion, I'm sure. But we're essentially hitting pause on a lot of our society for months, and that is a huge step so I think normalcy is just gone for a good while. The virus isn't going away in a couple of months. The whole point of flattening the curve is to prolong the time it takes the virus to work its way through the population.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
But you have to balance that with the huge investment they have in these films. They can't carry that balance forever. If theaters are open, then those movies will still make money. Their opening weekends will be small numbers, but maybe they have the whole theater to themselves...and run for much longer. I think this will be the final nail in the coffin of mid-budget films going to theaters, but tentpole blockbusters will still do just fine, IMO.
WoMD
Think theaters would rethink their support for Moviepass if it were to have become a thing once theaters reopen...?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.