*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

162,957 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quad Dog
AG
With a budget of $200 million, wow that seems high, they'd need about 25% for it to be considered successful.
littlebitofhifi
AG
This is probably right. They'll get international box office as well which will help, but they spent a TON of marketing dollars right up to the original March release so break even on total spend is going to be tough.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The coronavirus is a curse on Disney for excluding Donny Osmond from the Mulan remake.

fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Interesting. Hopefully this sets a new standard. I can understand renting a movie digitally for $5.99 and having access to it for only 48 hours. Similarly, I can (obviously) understand paying a one-time ticket fee to see a movie once in a theaters. But I have to admit, renting The King of Staten Island in June for $20, for 48 hours - the first movie I think I've ever paid that much to rent - didn't quite feel right. I completely understand the economics of it, but it also felt like I should own it for that price as well. This would essentially solve that. Granted, purchasers of Mulan still wouldn't technically "own" it, as their purchase would last only as long as their subscription, I assume, but still.
The idea that I would no longer own if I canceled my sub (if that's the case) is...offputting.

Movies purchased on other services (Amazon, Google Play, etc.) sync to iTunes and are available on the AppleTV, I wonder if that would be the case with this as well. So many questions...
TCTTS
AG
Surely, after a few months, once it becomes "free" on Disney+ (with a subscription, of course), it will become available for rent/purchase on all the other platforms. I can't imagine Disney missing out on all that additional revenue. And when/if it does, hopefully you'll be able to connect your purchase to those other platforms, just like you can now with all the other services.
fig96
AG
Yeah, I would hope so. So really, you're most likely paying an extra 10 bucks in the short term to see it on release.
MBAR
AG
I almost 100% expect that Disney will NOT allow you to access the film on other platforms with the initial 30 dollar fee EVER. They seem to be leveraging this situation to increase subscriber numbers for Disney+. After the initial period, I expect the movie to behave normally for purchase and rent, but everything about this initial release screams as a way to increase the number of people using DIsney+.

If they were concerned with up front revenue I 100% think they would just hold it like all over movies. Instead I think they see this as a movie that can provide benefits they have evaluated as having value outside of the initial returns.

I would also expect film studios to not given an inch freely in these situations. What I mean by that is that initial rentals will not be as customer friendly as they may be in the future. They're going to try to get as much money from us as possible to set the bar high. Only if that fails will they given in and perhaps give the customers m ore benefits, but I expect these prices to be high and the benefits to be low.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc-theaters-coronavirus-crisis-1234728092/
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
nosoupforyou
AG
how about Netflix stuff - you hearing about Stranger Things 4 getting going yet?
TCTTS
AG
Netflix was one of the first studios to start filming again oversees, but I haven't heard anything about their domestic shoots yet. Surely ST4 resumes at some point this fall, though.
fig96
AG
Several of my friends in VFX/post are going back to work and getting calls about projects starting back up, all still working remote that I'm aware of.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome. Yeah, it doesn't sound like any studio, company, agency, or VFX house will be back in-office this year, but at least production is starting up again, and more jobs are happening.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-07/hollywood-studios-unlikely-to-buy-movie-chains-even-if-they-can
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Congrats. I think "un-pubertize" might just be the one of the worst terms I've ever heard.

Seriously, though, hopefully they're good to go for September.
fig96
AG
I'm just excited that Cowboy Bebop has been back filming in New Zealand for over a month now.
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

Congrats. I think "un-pubertize" might just be the one of the worst terms I've ever heard.

Even worse: depubertization
fig96
AG
Just caught one of these spots on FX, looks like Fargo season 4 is coming "soon".

YNWA_AG
AG
They haven't finished filming though? Or have they restarted?
fig96
AG
No idea. Maybe they've figured out that they can finish by the time the eps will air?
TCTTS
AG
That's my guess.
YNWA_AG
AG
fig96
AG
Sweet, SO ready for this one.
Bunk Moreland
Reserved a ticket for Unhinged for my local 8/21 theater re-opening. Don't care if it sucks. Now release Tenet showtimes so I can buy a ticket for that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My local AMC is no longer listed on the AMC site.

Not good ...

TCTTS
AG
Unfortunately, I've come to terms with the fact that I probably won't be seeing Tenet until October at the earliest.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I must just have to.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, I've come to terms with the fact that I probably won't be seeing Tenet until October at the earliest.
Brody can get you a copy by tomorrow.

TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.