*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,056 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed, and I'm honestly not far off from going to my local theater now.

We frequent Moviehouse here, and we usually get two seats that are on their own side of the aisle. If they're alternating rows that put us easily 6 feet away from anyone other than the occasional server in a big space, I'd be pretty ok with that now much less in six months.
Belton Ag
AG
Ridiculous.

No theater chain, no matter how well-positioned prior to COVID, would survive a year and a half of no revenue.
fig96
AG
And just checked...they're showing Black Panther, Goonies, and Empire Strikes Back (along with a few others) with $5 seats. That's tempting.
aggieactor01
aggieactor01
AG
Sorry for the blank post. Not sure how that happened or why I can't edit it.

I realize it's completely different for movie theaters but there are a large number of performing arts organizations and touring houses who have canceled everything through early 2021. I recognize by and large those are non-profit companies who also fund raise. I only bring it up to point out that other 'large group gathering' type businesses have thrown in the towel on 2020.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/07/16/china-box-office-sonic-detective-chinatown-covid-coronavirus-dolittle-mulan-tenet/#e5ef34e48ece
TCTTS
AG
Should this happen, I think it'd be a pretty big indicator that we're not getting new movies at all this year...

https://theplaylist.net/no-time-to-die-release-date-delay-20200718/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once Halloween moved to 2021, I kind of mentally checked out of this year completely as far new theatrical releases.
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

TCTTS said:

Should this happen, I think it'd be a pretty big indicator that we're not getting new movies at all this year...
I adopted this mindset after Tenet pushed off of 7.17. It sucks, especially since it didn't have to be like this, but this way I'll be excited if we get anything before then instead of upset at all of the rolling delay announcements thinking about what could've been.

I was looking forward to crossing the Chinese Theatre and Musso & Frank off of my Hollywood wishlist yesterday, but it's ok; they'll still be there after this is over.

Yeah, it's taken me longer to accept, but I think I'm finally there. At this point, with the right treatments in place, and masks hopefully doing their thing, maybe we see new movies kicking off again around Thanksgiving, but I'm not hopeful. Barring a miracle, I think we're talking March-ish 2021 or so, with theaters not back to full working capacity until next summer. But with no 2020 movies, who knows what theaters/chains will even be left by then. Granted, even if every theater/chain goes bankrupt, once society is fully functioning again, there will no doubt be new investors and plenty of money to still be made. We're not going to lose the theater-going experience. But if things get bad enough, it *might* take until next summer to fully re-open again under new ownership. I would love nothing more than to be wrong, though.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Once Halloween moved to 2021, I kind of mentally checked out of this year completely as far new theatrical releases.

Yeah, good call. I think we're days away from a lot of others moving to 2021 as well...
Duncan Idaho
When schools reopen next month, theaters will be right behind.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
2 shows in particular that are in my world are very character age reliant. Curious about both.

Better Call Saul
Stranger Things

On BSC guessing we will just need to suspend belief a bit with how much older these characters look contrasted w Breaking Bad. Don't see it affecting the storyline.

Wondering if the Duffers make any plot/story adjustments on ST now.
Fairview
AG
They were just starting to film Stranger Things but hadn't finished the script yet when this got bad. I saw a pic of the finished season script and it was well in to the quarantine time. Who knows if they made changes to the plan or were able to pivot since it wasn't completely written yet.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
So it begins. At this point, I think everything for at least the next two or three months moves to 2021. The situation is about to get incredibly dire for theaters...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234699068/
TCTTS
AG
It's sounding more and more like it's going to open internationally first, ensuring it'll be the most pirated movie in history. The U.S. could not have f*cked up our response to this pandemic more...

https://deadline.com/2020/07/tenet-release-date-moved-new-strategy-coronavirus-1202970413/
The Collective
AG
**** COVID-19 and the horse it rode in on
Bunk Moreland
**** certain entities exploiting COVID because it's an election year (both sides) and the horse they always ride in on.

We can have open movie theaters around the country right now with limited capacity and more showings and be completely fine but we have petrified 50% or more of this country. This **** is getting ****ing ridiculous.
fig96
AG
And in more pirating news...

MBAR
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

**** certain entities exploiting COVID because it's an election year (both sides) and the horse they always ride in on.

We can have open movie theaters around the country right now with limited capacity and more showings and be completely fine but we have petrified 50% or more of this country. This **** is getting ****ing ridiculous.
Europe started out worse than us. China started out worse than us. They all petrified their countries, took appropriate action, and are now reopening sports and will do theaters soon as well.

So sorry, but no, its not because people are petrified, but rather because people here tried to half ass it, continue to try to half ass it, and wont' take the appropriate steps to get **** under control. This isn't about an election. It never has been. Its been about appropriate public health.

The proof is right in front of our faces. Tenet will be see in Italy and China first but we ****ed it up here and we continue to **** it up here. I hope those old reruns of Jurassic Park and ET or whatever people went to see in theaters the past couple of months have been worth it.
Bunk Moreland
They didn't petrify their countries because those are monolithic cultures without a hysterical media. We're a nation of 50 smaller nations and the most diverse culture in the world. That hurts during times like this.

Those countries also didn't dramatically increase testing capacity or volume nearly as much as the United States has. They also didn't start including serology positives in with actual tests like the US did (and the CDC sorta apologized for last week), leading to more panic with the 'spikes'

There is no issue with theaters opening and people going to them right now in every state in America. Just like there's no issue with schools opening. The only thing driving it is hysteria. Not going to turn this into F16 so I'll leave it at that .
MBAR
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

They didn't petrify their countries because those are monolithic cultures without a hysterical media. We're a nation of 50 smaller nations and the most diverse culture in the world. That hurts during times like this.

Those countries also didn't dramatically increase testing capacity or volume nearly as much as the United States has. They also didn't start including serology positives in with actual tests like the US did (and the CDC sorta apologized for last week), leading to more panic with the 'spikes'

There is no issue with theaters opening and people going to them right now in every state in America. Just like there's no issue with schools opening. The only thing driving it is hysteria. Not going to turn this into F16 so I'll leave it at that .
Dude they reacted way stronger than we did. I don't know what to tell you. The theaters opening early is completely a symptom of our refusal to do things the appropriate way. This entire situation has been our society trying to find a short cut through this situation instead of just handling it.

Well you kick the can down the road and you can just keep kicking. I don't know what to tell you if you still think there's no issue with theaters reopening.
fig96
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

They tested and traced, social distanced and isolated effectively, and have virtually eliminated new cases.

Even if if cases are being miscounted to some extent, we're at 10x+ in new cases per day than most developed nations. We obviously didn't do something right.
Bunk Moreland
Quick clarification I'm not saying the US handled it effectively or more effectively than other countries. Though that is up for major debate because we have done better than many European countries if you look at deaths per million etc.

What I'm saying is that no matter what, the moment the virus came to our shores, in the most divided and hyped election year of all time, all of our media and elected leaders were going to work to exploit the crisis. If this was 2019 or 2021, with a president of any type (even dumb Trump), the media hysteria simply would not be there and we would have had a more unified national response. That's my contention. Oh, and also that for the vast majority of the population it's completely safe to go to movie theaters socially distanced and put kids back in schools. Just like in other countries where they continue to protect the elderly and most vulnerable.
Belton Ag
AG
MBAR said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Europe started out worse than us. China started out worse than us. They all petrified their countries, took appropriate action, and are now reopening sports and will do theaters soon as well.

So sorry, but no, its not because people are petrified, but rather because people here tried to half ass it, continue to try to half ass it, and wont' take the appropriate steps to get **** under control. This isn't about an election. It never has been. Its been about appropriate public health.

The proof is right in front of our faces. Tenet will be see in Italy and China first but we ****ed it up here and we continue to **** it up here. I hope those old reruns of Jurassic Park and ET or whatever people went to see in theaters the past couple of months have been worth it.

Any attempt to compare how we handled it to how China handled it is nonsense. They were welding people into their ****ing houses for Christ's sake.
MBAR
AG
its your last part of your comment that really is the crux of the situation for me. Yes, its relatively safe for a 30 year old healthy person to go to the movies right now and enjoy a film. But, it spreads the disease, which makes it unsafe for a lot of other people, which puts additional strain on the healthcare system which then in turn makes it less safe for everyone. So yes, while the individual risk isn't high, cumulatively it increases everyone's risk by a large margin.

And this is the main point I feel you're missing. You're more worried about media hype instead of the actual risk on the ground, and because as a young individual you don't have much personal risk if you contract it, you don't see the big deal if you contract it. But every new case is a person who then spreads it to more instead of keeping the virus at extremely low levels. It keeps the fire going instead of putting it out. And eventually, that fire reaches people that ARE at higher risk, and eventually when enough low risk people get it, some of them DO die or DO have extreme complications. The individual risk isn't the issue, the spread caused by low risk individuals not taking it seriously enough is because it can rapidly cause this situation to spiral out of control.

The main problem is that the lag tie makes it incredibly difficult to reign in once its out of control. There are parts of Texas just as bad as NY right now. The general public has shown a huge inability to make responsible decisions on their own, but then again what are they supposed to do when bars and theaters are allowed to open. Of course they think its no big deal.

There's a reason why public health administrators are freaking out about this disease while many others in teh general public are more upset about other things.

I'll make this my last post on the subject since I don't want derail this thread anymore than I already have and I appreciate that even though we disagree you keep it respectful Bunk. I just think your risk analysis here is not framed appropriately.
MBAR
AG
Belton Ag said:

MBAR said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Any attempt to compare how we handled it to how China handled it is nonsense. They were welding people into their ****ing houses for Christ's sake.
You don't need to approve of everything China does in order to analyze the response from their government and from their individual people in order to see places where we could learn from them. Its not all or nothing. We should be able to have a nuanced discussion on things.
toucan82
Anybody want to try to sneak into another country to try to watch it with me?
mrsbeer05
AG
We have a drive-in super close so I'm hoping we get a few newish movies. Took the kids to Empire Strikes Back last weekend
Bunk Moreland
bearamedic99
AG
Dang. I'm not too far from Canada. That could be a fun road trip if my passport was current
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

2 shows in particular that are in my world are very character age reliant. Curious about both.

Better Call Saul
Stranger Things

On BSC guessing we will just need to suspend belief a bit with how much older these characters look contrasted w Breaking Bad. Don't see it affecting the storyline.

Wondering if the Duffers make any plot/story adjustments on ST now.
They can just be like the showrunners were on Lost and pretend that nobody notices that Walt has grown 3 feet and has facial hair even though like 60 days have gone by on the island.

TCTTS
AG

https://atomtickets.com/movie-news/should-studios-return-to-slow-movie-rollouts/
TCTTS
AG

Official site:
https://omacinema.com/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.