*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,021 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's the worst thing to happen to most industries. The only ones that have it good are Amazon, big box, and grocery stores.
TCTTS
AG
I think we see Black Widow, No Time to Die, and Dune move to 2021 by the end of the week. MAYBE Black Widow gets a 2020 digital/streaming release, but even given the dire circumstance, I still don't know if Disney will want to set that precedent with the Marvel brand. Either way, my guess is the rest of October clears out as well, and studios potentially re-aim for either a Thanksgiving or Christmas return to theaters with smaller, mid-budget releases, and hope Covid numbers have dissipated enough by then. But if Covid/flu cases increase again, all bets are off, and I have no clue what happens at that point. If even possible, it may be in the studios' best interest to somehow try and "bail out" the theater industry. Some kind of collective fund or something. Otherwise, I just don't see the major chains surviving this.
TCTTS
AG
I keep forgetting about the amended Oscar deadline, and how Jan/Feb could not only be viable months this go around, but how they could potentially even become what Nov/Dec usually are - a mixture of Oscar hopefuls and massive blockbusters. Granted, you lose the whole families-together-for-the-holidays angle, but February, in particular, has increasingly proven to be a pretty big box office month, namely Presidents' Day Weekend. So, yeah, maybe by then, with the vaccine in circulation, audiences feel way more comfortable returning to theaters, and we don't have to wait 'til spring to really get things going again.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
WoMD
I did my part. Me and four other random people saw the afternoon imax showing of Tenet in Boise (refuge from SF from covid and the fires). I've been checking the seating availabilities for all the show times out here and leading up to each show time almost every seat is available. Definitely not sustainable...
bearamedic99
AG
With so many movie releases being pushed back, will they stop making movies for a while or release a larger number than normal, once things become more normal?
TCTTS
AG
They stopped making movies for basically six months already, from March to August. Not everything is back in full swing yet, production-wise, but a decent amount are already filming again. So we've already had that gap/stoppage. And, no matter what happens, if closed again, theaters will only be closed for a few more months. I just can't see them not back in full swing by next summer at the latest, even if under completely new ownership. In other words, studios will have more than enough content, and there's really no reason to hold production on anything else for the sake of theater availability or anything like. Once theaters are fully back, there are going to be more movies than anyone knows what to do with.
TCTTS
AG
I feel like we're days away from the chains announcing they're closing again, at least in a majority of the country.
TCTTS
AG
Got a 24-hour ban-hammer for spouting off on the politics board yesterday, so here are few relevant articles I wasn't able to post during that time...
TCTTS
AG

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/business/media/tenet-movie-theaters-coronavirus.html

As dire as the situation is, quotes like this at least give me some hope...

Quote:

"From a cash standpoint, we can see this thing through way into next year if need be," Mark Zoradi, Cinemark's chief executive, said by phone.
TCTTS
AG

https://ew.com/movies/tenet-box-office-analysis-movie-theaters-coronavirus/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/black-widow-delay-disney-theaters-survive-1234586546/
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
That is going to shake some things up if true.
TCTTS
AG
And not a dime of that total has to go to the theaters. It's pure profit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Woah.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Very interesting. Wonder what type of multiplier is yielding that number though, between COVID and theaters not being open? I guess another way of asking this question would be, what is the impact of this 5-10+ years from now?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
One thing I think makes a difference in the whole "Tenet was supposed to save movies" discussion is: 'Tenet' may not have been as good as we all wanted it to be. It is so densely written and such a mind-f*** that it is not a great movie for a wide audience.

I have my doubts that this movie would have been the monster hit that was expected had the whole pandemic thing not happened.

Had it been Wonder Woman '84 or No Time to Die (movies that would play to a wider audience) then maybe we'd be getting more movies opening soon.

Just a thought.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Pahdz
Guys Top Gun was supposed to save theaters
tysker
AG
Quote:

An estimated 29% of U.S. households with Disney+ watched "Mulan"
I would be very surprised if a third of Disney+ subs in the US purchased access to Mulan.

edit: I guess it's also about a quarter of subs but that seems high too considering school is starting. I think they did well if 12-15% of subs purchased.
aggieactor01
AG
TCTTS said:

There's a whole lot of assumptions made in this video and it's entirely based on Third Party data, nothing directly from Disney. I'd be curious to know where the data comes from.

I'm not convinced that it was as high as this video makes it seem.
TCTTS
AG
This is starting to feel less like an attempt to save theaters, and more like a hostage situation. By the time Tenet hits NY and LA in-full - which is likely still weeks away - it won't be making a dime anywhere else in the country. I just don't see how this is an even remotely tenable situation. Theaters have to be losing massive amounts of money right now. At what point do they just throw their arms up, tell WB "enough," and have to close?
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

This is starting to feel less like an attempt to save theaters, and more like a hostage situation. By the time Tenet hits NY and LA in-full - which is likely still weeks away - it won't be making a dime anywhere else in the country. I just don't see how this is an even remotely tenable situation. Theaters have to be losing massive amounts of money right now. At what point do they just throw their arms up, tell WB "enough," and have to close?
Nothing about Tenet ever said save theaters to me but rather was 100% about Nolan's ego. I say that as a fan of Nolan's work.
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

I have no idea what to make of this mess anymore. Last week the Cinemark CEO said they had the cash to stay open for months but there were also a few articles that pointed out that it was better for theaters to be closed because it gave them more leverage in negotiating their leases. A poster above made a good point of Tenet and Christopher Nolan probably not being the right combination to reopen theaters. I think for now they try to stay the course and hope that Black Widow and No Time to Die both stick with their November dates and hope that brings more people in. Those two lead into the holiday season though, and I just can't see most families wanting to go to the movies during a pandemic. I'm not saying that some won't do it, but if the choice is go to the movies or spend the holidays with your elderly parents and grandparents then I know which one I'm choosing. Ugh.

Yeah, every Thanksgiving and Christmas my family, extended family, and I see multiple movies in the theater. But this year I just can't see anyone in my family feeling comfortable enough, especially with my 92-year-old grandma still around on one side of the family, and my 91-year-old grandfather still around on the other, who both hang out non-stop when everyone's together. Unless the case numbers drop significantly between now and then, which doesn't seem likely, I have a feeling most families will be of similar mind and won't go near a theater.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.