*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,013 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
uujm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlo4
AG
Sorry if already discussed. I'm expecting a boom in drive in movies. Anyone else?
GIF Reactor
AG
I'd be down for that.
TCTTS
AG
There's a drive in about an hour from LA. As of just a few days ago they were still playing movies. Planned on checking it out either this weekend or next, but then the stay-at-home order was enacted, and they had to close for the time being. But yeah, when this all settles, drive-ins may be our best bet. Could be pretty awesome.
MBAR
AG
Meh I'd rather wait and watch it at home honestly. Audio is a big deal to me and that's going to be awful at a drive in.
GIF Reactor
AG
You don't great audio for some matthew mcconaughey rom-com, and it allows you to do some pre-gaming with your lady friend.
GIF Reactor
AG
Don't need
MBAR
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

You don't great audio for some matthew mcconaughey rom-com, and it allows you to do some pre-gaming with your lady friend.

I mean I'm not going to the theater for that movie either honestly.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/movie-theaters-are-closed-but-their-value-isnt-lost-to-us-yet-analysis-1202219204/

TCTTS
AG
It's crazy how much I miss going to the movies, even though I saw one in theaters as recently as the beginning of this month. It's like knowing I can't go makes it that much worse.

But if Trump really does suggest lifting restrictions in, say, the next couple of weeks, as it seems he might, it's going to be incredibly interesting to see what the theaters and studios do, especially if some states are more lax than others. It won't yet be anywhere near "safe," as many experts attest, and I'm sure there will be guidelines in place as well (no crowds over X amount of people, etc). But if theaters are technically able to re-open by mid-late April or so (given they can rehire, train, stock concessions, etc in that amount of time), will people go? Enough for theaters to pay the bills? Will there even be new movies to watch?

A lot of us seemed to be getting used to the idea that we'd be under some level of quarantine through at least May, with theaters closed through then as well. That, and studios obviously postponed a huge chunk of the first half of summer releases, with more cancellations seemingly inevitable. But if we really do take this caution-be-damned approach to get the economy going again sooner rather than later (which I'm not necessary against, but not quite for either) and reopen everything relatively soon, what happens? As much as I miss going to the movies, as of now, I can't imagine sitting in a theater with even 25 other people until there's a FAR lower chance that I'm going to catch the virus. And when will that be? Mid-summer? Fall? 2021? I even think about the bar at my local theater, that we sometimes hit before or after a movie, and I can't even imagine drinking from a glass the bartender just handed me. I feel like I'm going to be ultra paranoid in public for months, and I have no idea how that mindset is going to affect my movie-going habits for the foreseeable future, or what our options will even be.

This whole thing will never not be surreal.
mrsbeer05
AG
We've got younger boys (4&7) and movies were a big part of family fun. But I agree, I'm not stepping into a theater anytime soon, no matter the precautions. I want an ICEE and movie theater popcorn so bad, but I'll wait until this thing is truly over.
MBAR
AG
So not to make this into a political thread, but these last two posts are perfect examples of why the idea that we can just go back to normal with a strong economy in the midst of a pandemic is nothing but a pipe dream. Regardless of what certain national leaders say, the US is not reopening for business anytime soon. I'm quite sure that the scenes out of NYC hosopitals and morgues over the coming 2 weeks will help ram that home.

I fee bad for movies, and I feel bad for a lot of businesses, but now is the time for us to step up and help them survive this through a safety net because I can't imagine anyone is going to go sit in a theater right now regardless of presidential statements.
GIF Reactor
AG
MBAR said:

Electrical_Ag said:

I mean I'm not going to the theater for that movie either honestly.
I can't argue with that
GIF Reactor
AG
There are a handful of movies that I feel like I "have" to see in a theater setting to get the intended impact or enjoyment, whether that is related to screen size, sound system, or crowd reaction. But for most movies, I'd be content with a streaming option soon after a theatrical release.

Am I alone in this, or do others share this opinion?
fig96
AG
I'm sure everyone is different, but I'm like TCTTS and see lots of movies in the theater (like twice a month or more). That's our usual weekend entertainment, and one of the things I probably miss the most at the moment.
Sex Panther
AG
I would literally go today if they let me
Bunk Moreland
Same.
TCTTS
AG
Those of you who would go back, it's looking more and more like even if theaters do re-open soon, there won't be any movies left to see. Two massive JUNE blockbusters now postponed...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/wonder-woman-1984-in-the-heights-delayed-coronavirus-1203539795/
TCTTS
AG
So that's now no major releases in April or May, with June well on its way to clearing out as well. With WB moving WW84 to August 14, my guess is they're keeping Tenet on July 17 for the time being. In other words, it's looking like we MIGHT have an idea of how all this could potentially play out, with theaters back in full swing at some point in July. That is, given the assumption that the virus is under relative control by then, which isn't even remotely guaranteed at this point.
nosoupforyou
AG
I'm hoping Top Gun 2 holds its spot and receives 90% of the tickets sold in a huge record breaking week
Chipotlemonger
AG
90% of a low traffic weekend isn't much.

Studios are going to play this very conservatively, especially for the big movies. Need to see how long people take to get comfortable going back to theaters and such.
TCTTS
AG
As was touched on a couple weeks ago, if we somehow have this thing under relative control by late June, I can think of nothing more awesome or American than Top Gun: Maverick being the movie that gets audiences back in theaters. That would be incredible. Unfortunately, at this point, I think they reschedule any day now. My guess is it moves to October-ish, but we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog
AG
Just saw that Lady Gaga delayed her latest album. Wouldn't everyone being stuck in their homes be the perfect time to release new music? I guess it's because she can't tour to make more money off of it.
TCTTS
AG
Stranger Things 4 will almost assuredly be delayed, but it looks like Netflix's more immediate offerings won't be affected for quite a few months...

https://theplaylist.net/netflix-coronavirus-numbers-production-delays-20200323/
MBAR
AG
Quad Dog said:

Just saw that Lady Gaga delayed her latest album. Wouldn't everyone being stuck in their homes be the perfect time to release new music? I guess it's because she can't tour to make more money off of it.
Yeah you would think that music is one of the things that can still be made since a lot of people still have access to studios for that.

I'd imagine for an artist like her your point is valid though. Hard to do a stadium tour when no one can go out.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Yep...nearly all artist's earnings come from tours. This would be a terrible time to release an album.

https://www.billboard.com/photos/8520668/2018-highest-paid-musicians-money-makers
MBAR
AG
Well there have been a lot of albums dropped in recent weeks. The Weeknd dropped one and he's a pretty big pop star. Guess the tour will just have to wait.

I definitely think we'll continue to see music drop. I hope artists are in the lab right now cooking up some good stuff.
aggiedata
AG
Hope he takes it easy.

TCTTS
AG
I could see the US doing something similar if theaters re-open in the next month or so, with no new movies to show...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-rerelease-avengers-franchise-avatar-inception-boost-reopening-cinemas-1286421
MBAR
AG
aggiedata said:

Hope he takes it easy.

Damn this is going to be devastating to my wife's family. We had tickets to see him in May. They love him.
bearamedic99
AG
What do we think network tv will be like in the Fall? Re-runs of current shows? Re-broadcasts of old favorites?
aggiedata
AG
Stones No Filter Tour postponed

littlebitofhifi
AG
bearamedic99 said:

What do we think network tv will be like in the Fall? Re-runs of current shows? Re-broadcasts of old favorites?

It's a bit too early to tell but we'll know more in a few weeks after the retooled upfronts. Assuming writers rooms are able to regroup by early June & filming can start in mid-July, you wouldn't see/much any impact to returning shows. Many shows also have 1-3 scripts ready to shoot to wrap up this season so you may see those hit, then a pause of reruns with a delayed fall start to the new season.

Pilots are another story. Some broadcast pilots are in the can so if those go forward, you may see those debut as a sneak peek in late summer or early fall as filler. But a lot of pilots had been ordered and not complete before the shutdown. Usually they would be in the process of being staffed during the next 4-5 weeks leading into upfronts and writers rooms would start earlier than returning shows, recasts may occur, etc.

So, if groups of ~15-20 are allowed to regather for work purposes safely by say end of May, you may see minimal impact to fall broadcast. Longer than that and you'll see delays filled in the form of reruns, maybe mixed in with specials (think late night hosts doing 1x1 interviews, re-airing of classic television, etc.).

Lastly sports may be a play here. If spring sports decide to finish their seasons into the fall then you may have more prime time broadcast events (NHL on NBC, NBA on ABC, MLB on Fox).
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/biz/features/movie-theaters-coronavirus-1203544128/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.