*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,032 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

This likely means that return/opening dates for the big theater chains will be pushed back as well. With Tenet moving to August 12, Warner Bros. also moved the Inception re-release back to July 31. And now, with Mulan out of July, the last few new July releases will likely push as well, potentially making Inception the de-facto theater return/opening date. We'll see, though.

That was fast...

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/coronavirus-cancellations-hollywood-entertainment-covid19-1202215596/
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

This likely means that return/opening dates for the big theater chains will be pushed back as well. With Tenet moving to August 12, Warner Bros. also moved the Inception re-release back to July 31. And now, with Mulan out of July, the last few new July releases will likely push as well, potentially making Inception the de-facto theater return/opening date. We'll see, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/amc-shifts-reopening-to-july-30-as-hollywood-pushes-back-blockbusters.html
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

First Cow, which is really, really good. It had just come out in limited release the weekend prior, but instead of going digital since, it sounds like A24 is going to re-release it theatrically again first, likely later this year...

Looks like A24 might be scrapping their theatrical re-release plans...

Confirmed...

Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Saw Ghostbusters at the drive-in last night thanks to this. First time at a movie in months, and first time ever at a drive-in. Really fun experience. Definitely plan on going back, and it's a great way to see classics this way.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
FIFY

TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/can-summer-box-office-be-saved-hollywood-hinges-hopes-tenet-mulan-1302238
Bunk Moreland
Newsom announces closures of movie theaters again along with a bunch of other 'indoor operations.'

Not good.
The Collective
AG
*Sighs while scrolling through my Netflix for the millionth time expecting something else to show up*
MBAR
AG
Sorry guys, but no way Tenet opens in a month.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Barry
Stranger Things
Righteous Gemstones
Living With Yourself
Mando

Just give me a damn release date on one of them!
TCTTS
AG
MBAR said:

Sorry guys, but no way Tenet opens in a month.

I'm afraid you're right. Unfortunately, at this point, I don't think *any* new movies open this summer. By the end of the week, I'd be willing to bet that everything, including Tenet, clears out of August, and Labor Day Weekend becomes the new (and obviously extremely tentative) opening date for theaters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Universal definitely had the right idea with Halloween Kills.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Barry
Stranger Things
Righteous Gemstones
Living With Yourself
Mando

Just give me a damn release date on one of them!

Barry, Stranger Things, and Gemstones will all be 2021, and probably summer 2021 at the earliest. At least Mondo is on target for this October.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-box-office-coronavirus-mulan-1234704739/
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-box-office-coronavirus-mulan-1234704739/

This is the worst viral marketing campaign ever.
BoydCrowder13
At this point I don't think we get another major release in 2020. Very much a year for the ages.
TCTTS
AG
They certainly can't keep incrementally pushing release dates back. At some point soon it's just going get ridiculous, if not already. I think we see one more round of delays, this time to Labor Day Weekend and beyond in 2020. Then, if cases aren't trending down by mid-August or so, yeah, I think studios just scrap 2020 altogether and push everything to 2021. Maybe they'd aim for some kind of holiday/Thanksgiving 2020 re-opening of theaters, but I doubt it. What a sh*t show.
veryfuller
Staff
AG

This is going to be really interesting as other countries are more successful at opening up. Studios will have to release movies in those theaters just to recoup costs and keep their doors open.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Or they could just release the movies and keep them in theaters for a year or more based on their popularity and stop being so greedy with the money-making during a national crisis. It's not like it's impossible to go see a movie right now, I've seen E.T., The Force Awakens, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Empire Strikes Back at my local theater in the past 2 months. This isn't a safety issue, it's a money issue for the big boys.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Well I think there is more than just greed involved. The theaters have to be able to make money. Theater owners were already struggling in the current film release climate and were relying on the big blockbusters to fill up theaters and make them money. If 25%-50% theater capacity is all they can count on, I don't think they can keep their doors open. Especially if they have to have staff to clean each theater afterward and do the rest of the regular duties.

And I think there is a large percentage of the public that doesn't see going to a movie in a theater as worth the risk. If 65% of the general population in the US is still unsure about opening schools up, then I think it's safe to assume greater than 50% are not going to consider going to a movie in a theater, especially when there is so much content you can watch at home. So that is going to limit the amount of income these movies can earn -- which makes it harder for theaters to make money.

I think any movie on the schedule before March 2021 is probably going to get pushed back in some way, and wouldn't be surprised if this changes moviegoing in America permanently. Hopefully there will be some innovation and the theater experience can be preserved in some way, but I think the age of the big theater chain with 20+ screens will probably be coming to an end.

Duncan Idaho
I haven't followed the state of theaters since I got mocked for saying theaters were dead until a vaccine and long live drive-ins.

I just took a glace at Fandango and the only thing showing up is the local drive in.

Is that consistent nationally or just here in Alabama?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Star Cinema Grills have been open since late May in the Houston area. They opened the Baybrook one first, then opened the rest a couple of weeks later. Since they are built for comfort and dining, their changes have been easy to make. When you buy tickets, they block off two seats on either side of yours for social distancing. They use only plastic utensils and paper plates / cups, and the servers wear masks. They require you to wear a mask into the theater, but you obviously take it off to eat.

The experience has been great, and a tremendous relief for my family. And we tip the hell outta the wait staff to try and help them out a bit.

Duncan Idaho
It does look like I can see Empire Strikes Back at the drive in. So I might have to do that
mrsbeer05
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The Star Cinema Grills have been open since late May in the Houston area. They opened the Baybrook one first, then opened the rest a couple of weeks later. Since they are built for comfort and dining, their changes have been easy to make. When you buy tickets, they block off two seats on either side of yours for social distancing. They use only plastic utensils and paper plates / cups, and the servers wear masks. They require you to wear a mask into the theater, but you obviously take it off to eat.

The experience has been great, and a tremendous relief for my family. And we tip the hell outta the wait staff to try and help them out a bit.

I took the kids twice and the second time it was just us. It was nice to have a "normal" experience.
MBAR
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

This is the worst viral marketing campaign ever.
GET OUT.
MBAR
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Thanks for supporting those workers with hefty tips. I feel this is 100% the right thing to do with people in the service industry who have to work right now!
TCTTS
AG

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-tenet-coming-out-this-summer.html
TCTTS
AG
We're getting to the point where studios are going to release their new movies internationally first, and then in the states weeks, if not months, later...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-reopen-july-20-1303401
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

We're getting to the point where studios are going to release their new movies internationally first, and then in the states weeks, if not months, later...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-reopen-july-20-1303401

Ahhhhh, so THIS was China's master plan for releasing Covid on the world!
TCTTS
AG
I don't yet believe this, but I keep seeing this basic sentiment shared more and more...

fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't yet believe this, but I keep seeing this basic sentiment shared more and more...

Seems REALLY early to be making that call. We're talking almost a year out.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I agree that theaters probably won't be back to normal traffic/crowds until then, but I don't think studios are going to wait that long. They can't, and neither can theaters. Besides, treatments are only going to get better, and it's looking more and more like we'll actually have a vaccine by the end of the year (though it will obviously take months to distribute).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.