*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,026 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of new, social-distancing theater for the Covid era. It's just a badass theater being built in Paris. Though, I can see theaters taking inspiration from this for future designs, for a variety of reasons.
nosoupforyou
AG
Yeah.. imagine the cost per seat at something like this..

I'd see Top Gun 2 in it (sorry to wife and daughters... boys only for this one because of cost) but that's it.. one time novelty for a price that high
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Dang I wanted to make the Senate joke first
fig96
AG
Seconded, first thing I thought of (and actually what I thought it was for a second)

Though it does look pretty awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
But my freedumbs.

If missing a movie is the price for freedom; so be it. I ain't wearing a mask or social distancing.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

We may be toddlers but other countries are more than welcome to build their own Hollywood's. Or start making up 50% of the international box office. Sorry other countries don't typically pull their weight.
MBAR
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

TCTTS said:

We may be toddlers but other countries are more than welcome to build their own Hollywood's. Or start making up 50% of the international box office. Sorry other countries don't typically pull their weight.
Doesn't Bollywood sell way more tickets to their films?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bill and Ted 3 to VOD...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bill-ted-face-music-hit-vod-cinemas-simultaneously-1304065
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bill and Ted 3 to VOD...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bill-ted-face-music-hit-vod-cinemas-simultaneously-1304065
This will be the first film that I'll pay that $20 opening weekend rental for.
Duncan Idaho
What was this star wars picture supposed to be?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nobody knows. That's why this news is like, "eh", to me. I had doubts we'd even get a movie before covid hit.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The future of Star Wars is about as clear as mud on the big-screen. First it was Rian Johnson getting a trilogy, then the showrunners from GoT getting one, now Taika is getting one, but who knows what they'll be?
TCTTS
AG
Welp. Add this to the mix now, and I think it's goodbye new movies in 2020. Not quite the nail the coffin, but they're cutting the wood...

https://deadline.com/2020/07/quiet-place-2-top-gun-2-moving-to-2021-1202993889/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bad Boys For Life - Best Picture 2020
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bad Boys For Life - Best Picture 2020
The nominees for Best Motion Picture are...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Bloodshot
Bad Boys for Life
Onward
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm with you. Worst case scenario, the big chains will likely go bankrupt now, but it's not like the physical theaters they were renting are going anywhere, or will be converted to anything else. When this is finally over, either the same chains will be resurrected with new backers/management, or we'll get new chains altogether, and they'll just take over the same theaters. By and large, the movie-going experience isn't going anywhere, as there will always be demand (especially upon re-opening, post-vaccine), with a ton of product ready to go. I absolutely hate to see the smaller chains/theaters get destroyed, but new, small chains/theaters will eventually rise in their place. And yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about Landmark as well. During this entire thing, I've heard zero news about them one way or the other, which I take as a positive, and have continued to receive relatively normal, movie-centric emails from their newsletter on a weekly basis, as if they're chugging right along. Selfishly, if the Landmark on Pico were to be the only theater to survive this thing, I'd still be content.

Overall, at this point, I wish we could just rip the band-aid off now. Go ahead and close theaters until March or so. No more question marks, no more week-to-week rescheduling. Let everyone file for bankruptcy, then slowly get all the mechanisms/funding in place for a come back, in whatever form it may be, ready to pull the trigger and get things going again come next year.
TCTTS
AG
On the bright side, once the theater-going experience does return in full-force, 2021 could be so incredibly stacked, with a ton of massive movies we will have been waiting years for. WB, for instance, could conceivably release Tenet, Dune, and The Batman all within eight or so months of each other, which would be wild.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I was wondering recently about the impact to Dune. Do we see a compression of 2020 and 2021 releases and gradual shift in output from studios after that? Or a drawn out release of the "2020" movies and the "2021" movies. (Quote marks because of movies moving and pushing to other years).

All in all, when is Dune coming?!?!? That's all I really care about.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My local Star Cinema Grille is unleashing Gladiator tomorrow.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I was wondering recently about the impact to Dune. Do we see a compression of 2020 and 2021 releases and gradual shift in output from studios after that? Or a drawn out release of the "2020" movies and the "2021" movies. (Quote marks because of movies moving and pushing to other years).

All in all, when is Dune coming?!?!? That's all I really care about.

A lot of productions are gearing up to start shooting again in September. Some are already going again oversees. Combined with the fact that theaters are mostly open overseas as we speak, if the Hollywood machine keeps making movies while domestic theaters are shut down, yeah, I think we see a compression next year rather than pushing 2021 movies to 2022, and so on. Granted, a couple of 2021 movies have moved to 2022, like the fourth Matrix movie, but the studios can't keep pushing everything else back, especially if some of the 2020 fare is releasing overseas before the states. For instance, I doubt Jurassic World: Dominion moves from summer 2021, since they've already started shooting again. But Dune could potentially hit that same summer now as well.
The Collective
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Counterpoint
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I hope you're entertained.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I just think that's being too optimistic. Theaters were already struggling before this happened, and I think a lot of people are going to like getting big budget movies "for free" on their streaming services or renting them for $20, which for a lot of people is cheaper than going to a theater for two. There are a lot of theaters out there, but buying one up is far from a sure thing investment, even in normal times. And I doubt the FTC is going to let studios buy theater chains because it'll be too monopolistic. I think there will be some innovation and there will be some sort of theater experience on the other side of this, but I'm not optimistic that it will resemble what we have had the last 30-40 years of day and date wide release for most movies.
nosoupforyou
AG
with Top Gun 2 moving to next summer, does that impact Mission Impossible 7 and 8? Do you know if they have restarted filming MI films? Tom Cruise ain't getting any younger and I want him doing it all and not slowing down

man i really wanted to enjoy christmas with Maverick.... ugh!
TCTTS
AG
The international rollout - before hitting theaters in the states - has begun...

TCTTS
AG
nosoupforyou said:

with Top Gun 2 moving to next summer, does that impact Mission Impossible 7 and 8? Do you know if they have restarted filming MI films? Tom Cruise ain't getting any younger and I want him doing it all and not slowing down

man i really wanted to enjoy christmas with Maverick.... ugh!

M:I7 already moved from July '21 to November '21, so there shouldn't be any conflict there (same with M:I8; from August '22 to November '22). We'll likely just have two massive Tom Cruise moves next year, one in the summer, one during the holidays. With M:I7 set to resume filming in September, they should be on time for November '21, and hopefully won't have to push back. If they do, though, it won't be because TG2 is that summer, it'll be because they simply need more time. Otherwise, two Cruise movies five months apart won't be a problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.