*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,029 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ticket stub for the last movie I saw in a theater. One year ago today. The smudges are from the hand sanitizer the ticket taker had to use before tearing each ticket as his boss watched on. Which, at the time, I thought was insane. Now, I can't imagine ever leaving the house without hand sanitizer again. That night it was announced that Tom Hanks tested positive, the NBA postponed their season, all hell broke loose, and the world changed forever. A year later, there are few things I'm looking forward to more than another torn ticket stub...

Duncan Idaho
Lol you still believe that Tom Hanks tested positive. He was the first thunderclap in The Storm
Duncan Idaho
At least your last movie was a great one.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I made sure I went out and saw The Invisible Man before the lockdown because the movie I saw before that was Birds of Prey and I did NOT want that to be the last movie I saw.

Since then, I've seen Tenet (meh), New Mutants (double meh) and took my youngest son to see Akira (f-ing LOVE this movie).

I do not have any memories in my lifetime where I saw that few movies in a calendar year). I would have to go back to my early childhood (pre-Star Wars) for that.

I asked my youngest last night if we were going to see Kong vs. Godzilla in the theater and he said "heck, yes!"
YNWA_AG
AG
My last 3 movies of 2020
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I abused my AMC A LIST sub before COVID-19

Same. And moviepass a few years prior.

When I had MP, I reached the top rewards tier at Regal and was getting a free large popcorn every other visit, since I technically still paid through my account.

Those were the days.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What?
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What?

A year ago, the qaon idiots thought that going into quarantine meant you were a pedophile and were actually getting arrested
GIF Reactor
AG
TCTTS said:

Ticket stub for the last movie I saw in a theater. One year ago today. The smudges are from the hand sanitizer the ticket taker had to use before tearing each ticket as his boss watched on. Which, at the time, I thought was insane. Now, I can't imagine ever leaving the house without hand sanitizer again. That night it was announced that Tom Hanks tested positive, the NBA postponed their season, all hell broke loose, and the world changed forever. A year later, there are few things I'm looking forward to more than another torn ticket stub...

$15.50 for First Cow? Ouch....
Carlo4
AG
Last movie I saw was Uncut Gems at the Alamo Draft House. Christmas Day... 2019...

This is the longest I've gone without going into a movie theater since I was conceived....
TCTTS
AG
You mean one of the best movies of the year? Totally worth it.
GIF Reactor
AG
TCTTS said:

You mean one of the best movies of the year? Totally worth it.

I enjoyed it also. I appreciate the story and having something different and a movie that can be what it is. I may not be explaining that well, I apologize.

I don't personally believe it was worth that price, but don't fault anyone who feels differently. No offense intended.
GIF Reactor
AG
Carlo4 said:

Last movie I saw was Uncut Gems at the Alamo Draft House. Christmas Day... 2019...

This is the longest I've gone without going into a movie theater since I was conceived....

So if there is socially distanced seating arrangements and adequate ventilation, shouldn't movies in a cinema be pretty safe? I think I would still take a wipe to wipe down the arm rests and seat, I suppose. But the theater should also be disinfecting the seats. That may be the "weak" spot, if that is a kid working minimum wage charged with that. Trying to convince myself here as well. Admittedly I am still apprehensive. And I just recovered from this awful virus.
TCTTS
AG
No worries. Took no offense at all.
TCTTS
AG

tysker
AG
Why am I not surprised that is Nolan's casual, going-the-movies attire
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

He sure is dressed up to watch The Croods 2
Tonyperkis
AG
I appreciate that Nolan practices what he preaches in regards to the importance of the cinema.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I NEED to know what movie he watched. Seriously.
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I NEED to know what movie he watched. Seriously.

I think people are saying Judas and the Black Messiah.

I don't know what I love more: this or Tom Cruise seeing Tenet
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

I bet there were plenty of seats for WW84.
TCTTS
AG
Got my first vaccination shot this morning! Second shot scheduled for 4/14, just in time for the summer movie season. Which, as of now, kicks off May 7th with Black Widow. If that date does indeed stick, it'll very likely be my first movie back in theaters... in 411 days. Unbelievable.
Duncan Idaho
Be careful, I heard the chip inside the vaccine interferes with the radio waves they use to power the Digital projectors. THX certified are the most dangerous.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Tonyperkis said:

I appreciate that Nolan practices what he preaches in regards to the importance of the cinema.

No doubt. Dude legit loves going to the theater.

I'm still pissed that I missed seeing Man of Steel opening weekend in the same theater as him by one showing. I went to like the 4 PM showing that Saturday at The ArcLight here in LA, and it turned out that he and his family had been in the the exact same theater for the 1 PM or whenever. Worse, I saw it with someone who knows Nolan and his wife pretty well, and she said she could have easily introduced us. One of my biggest movie-going regrets, because we had originally planned to go to the earlier showing.
Counterpoint
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Be careful, I heard the chip inside the vaccine interferes with the radio waves they use to power the Digital projectors. THX certified are the most dangerous.

The THX chip and the immunity don't activate until you post a selfie with your vaccination card on social media.
Capitol Ag
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Carlo4 said:

So if there is socially distanced seating arrangements and adequate ventilation, shouldn't movies in a cinema be pretty safe? I think I would still take a wipe to wipe down the arm rests and seat, I suppose. But the theater should also be disinfecting the seats. That may be the "weak" spot, if that is a kid working minimum wage charged with that. Trying to convince myself here as well. Admittedly I am still apprehensive. And I just recovered from this awful virus.

So now that I've had Covid and been fully vaccinated, I live almost like the old days. We went to the movies Saturday with my family to see Raya and the Last Dragon and my 5 year old spilled all his popcorn on his seat. I may or may not have eaten it straight off the chair.

Granted, from everything I've read and seen including the CDC, fomites and surfaces won't transmit the virus that easily as was originally the concern. It's almost entirely transmitted through the air. We did pull our masks off completely during the movie since we were eating and drinking anyway. Not sure what it the rules are in California but here in TX it's like restaurants. Mask in when walking about, off in seat "when eating and drinking".
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I just purchased tickets to see Godzilla vs. Kong on Wednesday, March 31st for myself and my two boys.

Me on March 31st:

Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Memorex was analog. so you'd be fine.
GIF Reactor
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Carlo4 said:

So now that I've had Covid and been fully vaccinated, I live almost like the old days. We went to the movies Saturday with my family to see Raya and the Last Dragon and my 5 year old spilled all his popcorn on his seat. I may or may not have eaten it straight off the chair.

Granted, from everything I've read and seen including the CDC, fomites and surfaces won't transmit the virus that easily as was originally the concern. It's almost entirely transmitted through the air. We did pull our masks off completely during the movie since we were eating and drinking anyway. Not sure what it the rules are in California but here in TX it's like restaurants. Mask in when walking about, off in seat "when eating and drinking".
Were they seating you adjacent to others, or still keeping seats between open?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Likely less due to the pandemic and more due to the fact that F9 moved back to the same day (June 25) this was originally scheduled to come out...

Capitol Ag
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Capitol Ag said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Carlo4 said:

Were they seating you adjacent to others, or still keeping seats between open?
Still keeping seats between. At the AMC Stonebriar. You pick which seats you want online but there are Xs on certain ones for separation. There was a small crowd there. 3:15 showing. 6-7 families of 4 or more probably.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.