*** Coronavirus Impact on the Entertainment Industry ***

163,050 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
littlebitofhifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah the no coughing/sneezing one was odd but everything else seemed like an ok consideration. It's not like they have any plans (Id assume) to implement ALL the options listed, they're just trying to gauge customer interest in which ones are most palatable.

I voted hell no to the coughing/sneezing and the buying 2 tickets but everything else I could deal.
TCTTS
AG
If I were voting, that's how I'd vote as well. Forcing a single person to buy two tickets is insane to me, as is the no coughing/sneezing thing, obviously. I can understand the meal requirement, though. Everything else I'm fine with and encourage.
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

If I were voting, that's how I'd vote as well. Forcing a single person to buy two tickets is insane to me, as is the no coughing/sneezing thing, obviously. I can understand the meal requirement, though. Everything else I'm fine with and encourage.

I don't think they would ever implement a two-ticket minimum, but they're surely polling on that because it's easier to disperse the seating for distancing in pairs. It will be trickier if a single seat is sold but they'll HAVE to make that work.
Proposition Joe
Not the complete death knell for movie theaters, but they are on their last legs.
dave94
AG
EVO posted a video yesterday showing the interface they're using for ticketing:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mitchell-roberts-483a7b7b_this-morning-we-became-the-first-cinemas-activity-6663170912193437697-c8Pq

TCTTS
AG
These EVO guys certainly seem to have their sh*t together. I wish I had one out here.
fig96
AG
I'm tempted to go check it out, there's one in Kyle that's probably a 40 minute drive for me with no traffic.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Yeah, might be worth it just to see.
Proposition Joe
Am I missing something with that EVO video? Is it just an interactive seat selection?
TCTTS
AG
Right. But one that is actively limiting seating/showing how that will work. There was also a post a few days back with a link to all the precautions they're taking, and it was incredibly detailed and reassuring.
Proposition Joe
Ok... Wasn't sure if that was being viewed as some kind of great innovation and I was just not understanding it. First few concert rollouts are going to be similar.

Counterpoint
AG
*chokes on a piece of popcorn*
*gets dragged out of the theater by the cough police*
Bunk Moreland
I find a lot of humor in how many made fun of Trump because he apparently freaks out if people cough or sneeze in the same room he's in and he thinks you can control it(don't get me wrong...it's really weird how serious he apparently takes it), and now Alamo ****ing Draft house is floating the possibility of making that policy.

Holy **** so many people have gone insane.
TCTTS
AG
I get that the no coughing/sneezing thing is just a scenario on a questionnaire, but to even put it on there is still kind of insane.
Bunk Moreland
That was the guy or gal at the end of the table (or zoom) who speaks up only once throughout the entire collaboration session for the questionnaire and everyone else mentally rolls their eyes so as to not make them feel bad and says "yeah we can ask that..."
Counterpoint
AG
Counterpoint said:

*chokes on a piece of popcorn*
*gets dragged out of the theater by the cough police*
Why didn't I say "Coughstapo"?
TCTTS
AG
F-ing Karen.
TCTTS
AG

https://ew.com/movies/tribeca-imax-att-summer-drive-in-series/
TCTTS
AG
Wow. This is easily the most insightful and comprehensive article I've read to date, re: Hollywood's post-COVID future. It's lengthy, and super inside baseball at times, but provides a seemingly accurate vision of what could be a very different future going forward, on multiple fronts, from development to production to the theatrical experience.

That said, as both a producer and an audience member... I am so ready for thIs future. There will be growing pains, no doubt, but man, this actually get me incredibly fired up for what's to come, once all is said and done...

https://medium.com/@RichardJanes/prepare-for-the-death-rebirth-of-hollywood-f3853aacbee0
Pahdz
Great, exciting read!
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Insiders expect that the studio will make a decision within a week about whether to hold "Tenet's" planned debut on July 17 or push it back deeper into 2020. That's because Warner Bros. will need to start revving up its marketing campaign for the film, and it won't want to spend tens of millions of promotional dollars only to have to move it.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/can-baby-yoda-save-production-mandalorian-tech-shines-pandemic-1293375
LawHall88
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That video wall technology still blows me away. I see that picture in the article and my brain thinks they're actually standing in that location.

If not for the videos I saw on youtube of that technology, I never would have know they didn't shoot The Mandalorian on location in real deserts.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. I've been so anti green screen and pro on-location for as long as I can remember, but this tech has made me rethink everything. I mean, you could conceivably shoot an entire, special effects-less drama with one of those things, and I wouldn't know the difference. And I'm someone who prides myself on being able to notice that kind of stuff when others don't. But yeah, with The Mandalorian, I had absolutely no idea. It's incredible.
TCTTS
AG
And so it begins...

https://www.thewrap.com/amc-theatres-stock-jumps-42-report-amazon-exploring-possible-acquisition/
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

And so it begins...

https://www.thewrap.com/amc-theatres-stock-jumps-42-report-amazon-exploring-possible-acquisition/
Amazon could acquire the whole company for $600-700M.

Would diversify them even more into an industry they would frankly revolutionize.

I love AMC but I'd be okay with that.
TCTTS
AG
There's a Whole Foods a block away from me I've frequented for over a decade. When Amazon bought them and took over, it got noticeably better, but in subtle ways. If they want to do the same for AMC, be my guest. I live ten minutes from one of AMC's flagship theaters, with all the latest tech, where all the critic screenings are held, and I stopped going because of how bad all the little things became. The food was sh*t, the ticket kiosks never worked, and the whole experience just felt noticeable "cheap" in recent years, even with the upgraded, state-of-the-art screens/sound. And again, this was at *the* AMC theater in the movie capital of the world. I of course want the chain to survive, but I've been low-key rooting for new ownership for a while now.
TCTTS
AG
This article claims a June 1st deadline for WB to decide, as opposed to the "this week" claim we heard a few days ago. I have no idea which is more accurate...

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/tenet-theaters-reopen-summer-movies-chistopher-nolan-box-office-1202230166/
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

There's a Whole Foods a block away from me I've frequented for over a decade. When Amazon bought them and took over, it got noticeably better, but in subtle ways. If they want to do the same for AMC, be my guest. I live ten minutes from one of AMC's flagship theaters, with all the latest tech, where all the critic screenings are held, and I stopped going because of how bad all the little things became. The food was sh*t, the ticket kiosks never worked, and the whole experience just felt noticeable "cheap" in recent years, even with the upgraded, state-of-the-art screens/sound. And again, this was at *the* AMC theater in the movie capital of the world. I of course want the chain to survive, but I've been low-key rooting for new ownership for a while now.
The AMC by me isn't bad. They revamped it a year ago. IMAX, Dolby and Prime theaters. Heated leather seats. Nice bar. Much better food setup. And I obviously had A List so I didn't even need to worry about the ticket lines.

A lot of the Houston area AMCs are dumps but I miss the ones in my area.

TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/directors-guild-steven-soderbergh-reopen-production-1234603601/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Amazon purchasing AMC would mean they could drop the new LOTR series in movie theaters.

Sign me the **** up!
TCTTS
AG
Bunk Moreland
great call. I have some friends that I talk investing with almost daily and we were discussing it around that time too. Of course none of us did it so that led to some f bomb's today.
littlebitofhifi
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

So here's a Disney+ idea. Wonder if rather than a big budget movie, they'd consider releasing Hamilton early?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.